Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

When I get my weekly schedule, I always look first at the 2 hard sessions first, and get the gist of them in my head early. I'll probably only look at the bones of the session on the day, but it helps to visualise and work through what you're dealing with early.

I gave Phil the full picture of the session when I met him 5mins before, so the huge 4 1/2mile warm up probably didn't help image

• Options

The week sort of fell out rather than planned. Race on Tuesday dictated easy Monday and Wednesday and then no running this weekend meant I needed a midweek long one so 14 on Thursday and then Friday lunchtime hospitality meant an evening run and the chance to be sociable meant putting in a track session when a general 7 was really needed. 

I see last Friday of the month is now moved to Kensington Gardens end and the new paths there promise to make it fast. Is DT2 up for one in July, they seem to be early and penultimate Friday http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/lfotm5k.html I will jog round behind the race this Friday to do a route check.

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Finished my first 50+ mile week in a while today with 7 easy miles. Truth be told they weren't easy at all but when you drink 6 Peroni and a bottle of wine you get that. image

Funny how the 'easy' runs have been the hardest. Had a lot of banter from my feet aching and really sore/tight at the base of my calf (achilles area). I've had to stop of strech numerous times. More of the same next week starting with a long run tomorrow of circa 16. I'm really enjoying the no pressure of not having a race looming.

Rob - I've heard that hill is a beast. Like I said only 2 guys from our club have run up it. Their name is steeped in VRAC history. Well one is, the other Nick Jones runs for Tipton now. You only went and bettered my 3k PB in that section you mentioned! Ha ha love it. Glad you're back and feeling poso about racing. What's next? Come down to Trafford and have a 3k blast with me?

Phil, I'd say 85 would seem too easy for 10 x 400. I'd say something like 78 would be about right? That's what I did a week or so back and it felt right effort wise. Is the Noaks book you mentioned 'The Lore of Running?' if so I might pick it up this week.

• Options
    Phil the plan was to run together we did for first 5k and then Dave dropped off on first hill we regrouped and unfortunately he struggled on next hill so Steve (74 HM) guy said we should keep going until after next hill then regroup again but on last hill I struggled and lost about 80m (prob nealy 50 secs) at the top steve shouted he would wait at end of off road section Dave was about 30 secs behind me but no one else was in sight so we knew team sorted. On hitting road with 3.8 k to go Steve had gone so I chased hard Dave was way behind too but we were not in trouble teamwise so we all just ran our own race from there as previously mentioned I was pleased to hit 5.20 mile pace almost immediately in off road trainers and continued over next 3k then settled that Steve had gone and wasn't interested in waiting for us to run in together but I was pleased I got through uninjured image
  • Options

Enough lurking  from me!  Not alot of running action in the last few weeks due to work pressures mainly.  But this week have managed a 6 mile tempo? run in 40:41 & just back from the track where I attempted 7x400m reps with 1 min recoveries.  Came out at 78,77,80,79,78,77,78.  

I was expecting to realistically come in between 80-85 reading what others on here are doing, as I consider myself a bit 'slow' & inexperienced with pace management, so those times were a surprise, although the last 2 needed a bit of mental toughness.

Hopefully, if I can integrate this type of training once or twice a week with a bit of the longer slower stuff, then I can run a decent 10k time at Yateley in a couple of weeksimage

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Stevie see wrote (see)

Glad you're back and feeling poso about racing. What's next? Come down to Trafford and have a 3k blast with me?

rob - if you get involved in a trafford 3k let me know and it would be a pleasure to follow you round and drag me to a pb.

Stevie S - which date are you going for at trafford?  i think being realistic i should start in the B race so that would put us head to headimage

need some new plodders so i had a gait analysis today and although it was a only 30 secs or so for each pair of trainers there was no pain - so hopefully that rest has cleared up the achilles.  There is no way i could have done that earlier in the week without some pain.  For a brief moment i was readying myself for stone 10k tomorrow but figured that would be daft...will try a 6m recovery pace trot instead.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

On the 400s, it depends what the point of the session is...if it's 5k pace, so you get used to running at 5k pace, that's one thing, if it's doing them at a hard effort that's another thing entirely.

400s at 5k pace are generally hard to stick to, whereas 800s would keep you a bit more honest I'm sure.

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Deano, I was thinking of doing the meeting 2 weeks on Tuesday (they are bi-weekly). You shouldn't be anyway near the B race mate, it's all 17 Yr old girls and slow old men like me. 9:00mins usually wins it. If you put sub 9:20 on the entry they'll put you in the A race. The standard is always very good. Especially if it's a BMC night.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, are you racing 17year old girls again? image

Ah 6.16am sunday morning, it must soon be long run time. Charging both ipods up nervously...always a game of russian roulette, as neither's screen have worked for yonks, no guide to how much charge they have at all. Also one has gone borderline corrupted.

Long story short...i take 2, and hope between them they can last me 2 hours!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, I assume you'll be able to keep moving if the music stopsimage

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

10k race at 9:30. 65 seconds last time out was the difference of eight places and I was only 12th. My original Sony Walkman and ear phones will remain behind.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Certainly keeps you ticking over on those long lonely runs! And is gutting when the ipod packs in and you still have 10miles left, as to add injury to insult you have to wear the now pointless headphones too.

good luck with the race old son. Is that Thame? That's always in my head for long runs..."at least i'm not racing today, i can have a nice comfortable run"

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, No its a local £1 to enter job for my second claim club. Apart from the league races; of which Phil does some in winter, I have nothing much to do with them. Come to think of it, I have next to bugger all to do with my first claim club, races apart that is. Only have to break 38 mins this time to be pleased with the run. There's ambition for you.

Long run at comfortable pace. Great isn't it, miles and miles at a pace most people couldn't run a mile at and yet barely breathing. My neighbours are suitably impressed; and ought to be, when like you I return from a mere 2 hours with around 15 miles or so on the clock, and yet apparently still alive.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Love the £1 races Ric.

Our xc races were £2 for my local club (free for my current lot). Always amused me when the same face every single week would ask if it's "still "£2" as if that was a high fee, when they give you stacks of free food after!

Anyway, 16miler done, 1hr 58...had a slight quad ache the whole way, but just the kind of thing you'd get 20 times a season in footy and it'd never stop you playing. Hip felt best yet on a long run. Was feeling a bit energy less near the end, but all good.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey SG - long run over, and I'm still just waking up, trying to shake off stiff shoulders from ferrying tables about in the rain that finished off our street party yesterday!

Talking of Thame 10k today - every time I've done it, it's been a scorcher! Could be a fast course there today then.  

It feels a bit weird this morning - still sat here in my dressing gown (freezing!) with race start just over an hour! I'll set off for a warm up jog to the start in about half hour.

• Options
    Stevie see wrote (see)
    Phil, I'd say 85 would seem too easy for 10 x 400. I'd say something like 78 would be about right? That's what I did a week or so back and it felt right effort wise. Is the Noaks book you mentioned 'The Lore of Running?' if so I might pick it up this week.

Stevie, as 10x400 can be done in so many ways, there isn't a single answer. My "hopeful" paces are 3,000m in 10:00 which is 80 seconds a lap (3:20 per km) and 5,000m in 17:30 which is 84 seconds a lap (3:30 per km). I did the session a few weeks ago in 78s but that was off 2 minutes and a 2 mile jog warm up: Friday started out with 5.7 miles including one at 6:15 and was off 60 seconds. And there was a strong wind so that is worth 1-2 seconds a lap as well.

Noakes is Lore of Running, £14 of amazon.

Easy one today, must make sure it is easy.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

7m this morning @ 7.15 ave.  Was planning on going much slower but just ran with out looking at the watch and let it flow.  Very mild pain in calf/achilles the sort you run through every day so hopefully injury is behind me.  will keep paces lower than normal this week just to ease myself back in.

Stevie S - whens your next race..im thinking of doing the queens park quacker 5k on friday.  But run it more as a tempo

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

I've read about those, 5k series around Queen's park in Crewe? Obviously my first question... is it flat/fast? I might swap my rest day from Friday to Thirsday and use it as a session. I'm not keen on the name though 'quaker'... sounds daft!

Long run time...

• Options

Dean is that the South Cheshire race Friday? I might do it or Lancaster Saturdayor do I wait til 5 July and Sale 5k decisions, decisions!!

Stevie/Dean may be up for 3k at Stretford but probably in August as away next one!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, ahh you didn't tell me you'd added 1.2miles to meet me? No wonder when we did our 4.5mile warm up it felt a lot....as 5.7mile warm up is a bit too large! You sure on that 6.15 mile? image Mine came out at 6.14 and i'd stopped a fair way before you joined me. Depends when you started the watch though maybe..as I only noticed we were in the MP mile at 0.08 past the mile!

That back straight wind was ridiculous at times though...wonder what it would be like to race a track 5k with that each lap

Good luck Bus..when i saw you posting at 9.40 something I thought you'd pulled out...but i suppose an 11am race time is quite a novelty! Bit like the XC race starts, quite like those as it doesn't mean a 6am wake up.

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Rob, what are those Lancaster 5ks like? I'm doing Sale on the 19th of July. If I can wait that long, I'm twitching already!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Rob/Dean...was just thinking about 3k on another thread....the women's world record was set in 1993 ....by a chinese woman named Wang....no woman has got within 15seconds....almost 20years on.

That same Chinese woman also holds other world records that noone's got anywhere near to, and her coach of the time was banned as 6 of his other athletes were caught doping... How do her records stand then, when they're dodgier than dodgy.

• Options

Stevie G  - I think all women's track records other than 5000m are dodgy all set by eastern europeans or FloJo need I say more - I am being PC!!

Stevie See - Lancaster great course in good conditions I time trailed a 16.02 there ran last 4k isolated!! I will decide if I'm going after track Tue as legs still a little tired after Friday's off road adventure if you fancy a lift let me know and I'll keep you informed!!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

10k race then, 9th out of less than 150 I guess. 30 seconds faster than 2 weeks ago and on a more awkward course. As it was a three lap job I thought I'd check the splits of each. Ignoring the minute and a bit to get out of the park and the two minute plus to get back in to the finish, the splits came out as 11:13, 11:16, 11:17! Crikey, I thought I might be operating at level effort/pace but not that level. Under the windy conditions and with plenty of lapped runners to negotiate, I expected a 15 to 20 second spread. I'm glad that I've successfully revised my expectations when a good run today once would have hit the diary as "probably the worse race of my life"

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice and level for sure Ric. How'd the full time come out then? 37 or so?  And sounds quite an odd course, with a start bit, 3 identical laps, and then end bit?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ric - a 30 sec pregression is not to be sneezed at,e specially witht the miles you've been piling on!

Slightly frustratingly I posted my reace report earlier - but its vanished! Oh well, here goes again!

Picked up a trophy again for 1st V40, and this time I get to keep it (shame really, as last week's was a very nice carved beech trophy, this one is a rubbish ten a penny shield with the words "fun run" on the top!! Doesn't even have the year on it!). 4th overall, but disappointed with my time of 43:10, as I was hoping to get close to 42 for 6 min mile pace. It's a tough course, and was windy and humid but still should have been able to do it given my half and 10M times this year.  I also had a bit of a retching sesh at mile 5, which hasn't happened for a while, and cost me a bit of time.  Can't really blame being tired either, as in 2010 I did 42:30, despite running a 10k the same week and doing a 15 hilly xc on the Friday, though I did have more company then.

On the plus side, I beat a VOAAC runner who beat me at Prestwood, and a Chiltern Harrier guy who pipped me at the post in the Chesham 5k. I was overtaken at 4 miles by a Marlow Strider who I don't know - all these bloody runners in yellow vests causing confusion - I mixed him up with the winner in a yellow Leighton Buzzard vest at the end, a 32 min 10k man who managed an astonishing 38 mins.

I also had a bit of a ding-dong battle with Superman for the first two miles! Fair play to the guy though as despite his ludicrously thick costime, he still finished in under 50 mins.   Also luckily avoided the torrential rain that bucketed down by being in the tea tent eating cake at just the right time!

Need to take stock a bit and work out a plan if I am going to bounce back for course bests at Risborough and Wycombe....

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, just back from a clean up and downing a tin of Stella.

SG, I got 37:30 which is a age grade 82% plus. The time is relatively fast as there were 31 blind corners to get around. Actually I'm fully aware that the time is rubbish but also aware that anyone behind me would have taken it if offered.

As far as I'm aware, some of the guys today were 30 seconds down on two weeks back. If the results end up on PO10 like the last lot, then I'll know for sure.

Vest colour today, bright yellow!

Did Thame 10k three years ago, 38:22 in the blistering heat.

Risborough I did in 2008 in 39:47 off a ten week average mileage of less than 12 miles. Tried another 10k the following week and had to stop. Hadn't recovered from the Risborough run.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

The yellow vests are taking over!

82% WAVA is very good, and 37:30 is also a very respectable time ric, let alone on a twisty turny one - don't put it down!

I remember struggling at Thame in 2009 as well - far too hot and no shade! 

How can you drink Stella though? Bloody horrible stuff image 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, I don't buy it, my missus does. I chuck some lemonade in to take the edge off. One thing I was really thirsty, another was while walking around a lake a couple of years back I found 8 unopened tins of the stuff. I wasn't thirsty then so left them there. Actually don't feel so good right now, must have drunk something iffy.

🙂

• Options

Afternoon all! Finally back into the warm cosiness of familiarity that is this forum! It’s been a bit cold out there in the wilderness so thought I’d best stop doing a StevieG (the new term for going AWOL whilst wallowing in self pity due to injury/illness or both!) been laid up for the past 2-3weeks with a serious chest infection and tonsillitis in part my own fault as I didn’t listen to my own body, illness + extra workload + heavy training – sleep = breakdown!

Been slowly coming back over the previous week whilst running with the lungs of Dot Cotton, made my first race back today at the Richmond 10K 34.3xmins legs=Good, Chest= V.Bad, still felt great to just get back in the mix again though!

Threads moved on rapidly in my absence, ive had a couple of peeks in over the past few weeks, but way too much to cover in full!

SG, welcome back fella good to see the prodigal son return, we were all starting to worry about you!

PMJ, I hadn’t even realised the July last Fri race had changed dates, ive still got the 29th booked off! doh! Battersea Park 10k on 7th July is my next target, its sure to be a fast outing, can’t recall who else was thinking of rocking up from the thread?

Zattu, great to have you on the thread mate, ive taken a lot of inspiration from you from the sub3 thread (sub3 thread moves to fast for me to have ever really got involved) interesting to pick up your thoughts as we move into Autumn Mara training phase.

Bus/Dean/Dach – great training as always gents, i need to pick it back up again and get back in the mix with those sessions.

Rob- good race mate, esp as you were taking it easy!

Bus, likewise another bit of V-Bling for the collection, just do what I do and hide any of the less serious looking ones towards the rear!

3*1M relay race at Battersea park tomorrow night, so for 1 night only i get too play at being a Miler, Any tips from the mid distance/track guys? (first ever 1Mile race so at least it’ll be a PB!)