Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Right, been an annoying half day, my internet went down mid way through the Man Utd game which was gutting, and didn't come up until after the 2nd game image

However....the race went fantastically.

3rd place, for my highest finish in this series ever, and had a sprint finish with the chap who normally wins these, losing out by 1-2 seconds!!

Met up with Dachs before hand, and it struck me he looks the part of a front runner these days, looks pretty darn slick and in shape!  I guess the only time we met before was after we'd just done a half marathon so probably not a great comparison...super knackered versus super fresh image

Forgot the GPS watch, so used a stopwatch, and had to do a last minute laces switch after my brittle XC shoes ones snapped! That could have been a disaster. It actually helped in the end, as the other laces I had were way longer, could tie them a lot tighter, and after having a shoe sucked off by the mud last year it was a big fear!

I wondered how it would go with Dachs, I knew he's a bit ahead road racing wise, but I knew I had the experience on this course. I made it 40-60 in his favour. To be honest though, beating my normal Sandhurst rival was my main aim, but he wasn't actually there today!

Therefore, myself Dachs, and a Reading chap (roadrunna if he's reading) shot off, and were leading, before Chris Bradfield from Dachet took it on. Took series legend Graham about 3/4mile to pass us, but for once I didn't apply my "i'll slow down I'm ahead of Graham so must be overcooking it" sensor, and just kept with Dachs and the little group.

A Datchet chap joined us, and we pretty much had a leading 6. ( I did notice a couple of pretty quick chaps not in our group at the start, they were left trailing)

The first half of this race is tricky only for the footing. Lots of dodgy branches under foot, and a very narrow section through a woody section. A few of us took at least one minor slip each!

We were all going well at the front, until an incredibly dodgy section, of very very loose mud, that was so squelchy it was amazing that it didn't take our shoes off.

The crux of this race however,  is 3 water jumps (forgot there is a 3rd one!). Last year I bungled these, smashing through the water in one, and losing 10secs having to put a shoe back on at another. All 3 were jumped really well this time, and the difference in not having ice cold feet is huge!

After the 3rd jump, you then see a long long hilly ploughed field hill!! This is where even the front runners wilt a little. However, since 2010, I've found I get an incredible 2nd wind here, and with about a mile to go, seemed to just float from 6th to 3rd in no time.

I spotted Graham ahead, and thought, surely I can't be rude enough to be close to him? But he was slowing, and I was aware I had an angry gang of good runners behind me, so somehow kept up with him, and even gave him a cheeky sprint finish at the end.

3rd place, and gave Graham a hell of a shock, as for probably the first time ever he almost got beaten by a club mateimage

Winner was about 30secs ahead, a quality runner though image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, I was once 'had a go at' by a dog along the seafront at Southsea (you've been on that very piece of road) and in an effort to teach it the error of its ways, swung a kick in its direction. Clearly it was too quick for that and hurled itself sideways, avoiding my foot but not the sheer drop off the front.

I guess its only cats that land on their feet.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

(wouldn't let me edit and finish my post....)

That's me done for the XC series now, only did 3, but delighted with 3rd, 5th and 6th.

Really hopeful to see some good pbs at the 10k and half in 3 and 4 weeks respectively.

This week I have a couple of really monster runs.

One featuring 6x 6mins HMP, 4mins Steady, and 1 featuring 4miles easy, 4miles steady, 4miles MP.

That latter one is on the saturday Bus, might suit you to join me for it, as I'm more flexible with timings on that day if you are? (well, mornings wise I mean)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Matt, Johnas, Deano Ric, some really  cracking long runs image Bus good to see you back, hoped it was only a minor scare. Drop me a mail with how we can possibly cross over training this week pal.

Phil hope you're back to full health if not fitness soon (which might take a few more weeks)

• Options

I'm voting for the bike RicF. Good pacing.

Tadley wasn't as firm underfoot as I'd have hoped. Especially the long muddy downhill to the ditches. Cracking day out though. I've really enjoyed this XC season, and seeing the improvements from a good year's base training.

It was also good to finaly meet our protagonist in the flesh, despite seeing him numerous times. Good to meet Dachs too.

No Wokey-Cokey for me, but I may be out on the bike to hurl encouragement.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good to meet you Iron..forgot to mention that in my waffle...probbaly cos im writing this so late image

Like I said earlier, I'd have never recognised you from your pic!!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Great run SG , like you say sounds like some PBs are going to get revised soon

Ironcat , if you enjoyed Xc sounds like you are going well too
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Glad you enjoyed the race IC. I should have come just to be social by the sound of it!

Couldn't have taken a swung at those dogs today Ric - they were all bigger than meimage

SG - hats off to you for that one! Sounds like a big leap forward (literally with those ditches!!). Glad to see you taking the position you've been working hard for. Must have given you a big pile of confidence for the upcoming road PBs!

Will let you know later in the week when I'm about - kinda depends on what happens with the forecast snow!  Your Saturday MP session will be at HMP for me though!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, it could work, because my steady is 6.30-7, and MP is 6.10+

Would be up to you, but if need be, we could just separate at some point during....so we'd still have the company for a good chunk of it.

The only thing is for a run like that you have to pick a really flat route. Something like the reverse of the Wycombe half route, then back on yourself....a slight incline, but as good as you're going to get!

BUT...like you say....see how the weather and your schedule is.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Evening all. Before I do my bit, massive congrats again to SG on a really strong performance, particularly in that last mile, where he just seemed to glide away effortlessly. Good times are definitely ahead. Also good to meet Iron, looks like he's made some good progress from last year.

Cheers for the compliment SG, but I'd happily swap looking like a frontrunner for actually being one.

In summary, what I suspected might happen happened, which is that I didn't quite convert the form I believe I'm coming into to the race. SG has dealt with most of the race report, because up to about a mile to go we were running in the same little group. However, I found it tough going through what seemed like near constant mud, and my shoelace came undone down the very muddy slope SG describes meaning my shoe was almost sucked off a couple of times. At about a mile to go, SG found another gear and motored off through the field leaving me trailing. Made a half baked attempt to overhaul a clubmate at the finish, but he was too strong, and finished in 6th.

A solid but ultimately a little disappointing return to XC then, but not one I'll lose too much sleep over. I'm hoping (on the basis of wishful thinking maybe) that Dean's experience of slight disappointment on the country being followed by great times on the road is something I can repeat.

Above all, it was a fine day out, and much more of a kind of team spirit within the club than you usually get at road races, so definitely worth having made the trip.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ta Dachs, I'm certain you'll smack that pb at Wokingham. You know that course, so there won't be any surprises or too much to stop you keeping a nice consistent pace.

I hope to stick in your slipstream and get a tow image

The way today panned out, was a little gutted that I had to cut short the after race chat to wheel off to the game. Could have stayed on for a bit and chatted some more.

Wokingham can sort that out, with a gaggle of us there.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Either way Dachs, still a very good performance! I'd be pretty happy to be disappointed with that (if you get my drift!).

Presumably you're not doing Bracknell next week SG?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nope Bus. Even I knew deep down I should miss that one. After today it can only be a let down, and the road racing A races are afoot.

Time is going to whisk away now, 3weeks to Chichy, and 4weeks to Wokingham!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Dachs, welcome to the club of disillusionment regards Xc form when compared to the roads. Don't forget they keep cows in fields and sports cars on the road, which would you rather be?image Oh and you might detect that bitterness towards anyone who is good on the Xc is essential image

Mind you 6th is far from a disaster, so you might get thrown out of the club yet
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Nice racing fellas. Good performances all round by the sounds of it.

I'm in agreement that XC and road are just two different animals and some convert better to one than the other (that's my excuse anyway and sticking to it!). Kind of wish I was racing Wokingham with you all rather than MP'ing it as believe times aren't only going to get smashed but a little group run will be going on for a good part of it which sounds like a great day out. Instead you'll all have to stick around and wait for me to finish!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

so just to check, what's the role call for Wokingham?

Bus, myself, Dachs, Johnas, DT2, PC2

Luvsa? Mee Meep?

Phil and Iron a no.

I think I've covered the southern lot....and potentially is going to be the biggest thread race yet...image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great result SG, it can sometimes be difficult beating the 'status quo'. 

When you are used to team mates always beating you it takes a degree of nerve to challenge them in a race and beat them in turn; or get too close for comfort.

You've clearly got to a level and consistency where the opposition has to accept the inevitable. That you're a lot faster than you used to be.

Its also a scary race tactic (going off hard) for the opposition. Steve Jones used to do it. In the early races he got caught before half way, then before the finish. One day he never got caught at all. Game over!

BTW. You haven't quite got all the Southern lot for Wokingham. There's someone else I know of.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah sorry Ric...darn it I knew i'd miss someone, image

You're right with what you say. I've always gone off fast, but used to quickly fall back. These days the fall back is less dramatic!

No aches today which is good. The snow is a bit of a drag though.

I'll brace myself for people at work saying "You're not running in this are you" for the umpteenth time.

On a more serious note, I really hope it clears before the quality sessions. You can run easy in this weather no worries, but any kind of tempo or reps are completely out.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, when dealing with detractors I've deflected the comments by twisting my reply around to correspond with their lower IQ levels.

For instance, in response to the comment "You're not running in this are you?" I'd reply, "you must be joking! I'm not going out in that horrible muck". This will give the appearance of being as dense as they are.

If they had any respect, they wouldn't even ask the question. Bloody impertinent.

Needless to say it won't stop you training. Just a bit awkward if they see you.

Snow and ice training. Usually becomes a golf course job. Even in the dark. 

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep, fields tend to be the safest. Dark and icy/snowy becomes a little bit more awkward.

I do remember last year doing my 3x2miles HMP round a snowy park though! That was hard, and obviously was more HM effort than pace...

At the mo, the roads seem fine. Will have to play it by ear. Might switch the quality to Tue or Thur accordingly...as Wed when it's scheduled is tricky!

One thing you do realise, is that how we take conditions along with fitness for granted!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

decided this yr that any quality will be done on a treadmill when the track is closed to snow or the roads are a mess.  Not ideal but then neither is slipping around on a snow covered feild either and i find myself easing off the pace for fear of slippage anyway.all easy trotting i will try to do outside still.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ran to the station this morning in case it comes down heavy this afternoon, as running in the snow is infinitely preferable to riding a road bike! Ver nice - 7.5M through the woods on a dusting of snow.

Only problem was, there is no hot water at work, so no chance to shave and a freezing cold shower! So, on top of the "you're not running in this are you?" I'm getting a constant stream of, "what's this, the desperate Dan look?".  Grrr!!!!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

decided this yr that any quality will be done on a treadmill when the track is closed to snow or the roads are a mess.  Not ideal but then neither is slipping around on a snow covered feild either and i find myself easing off the pace for fear of slippage anyway.all easy trotting i will try to do outside still.

Dean, I can just imagine what a quality session of yours is like on a treadmill.

I have a TM myself which only my lad has had the speed and nerve to take to its top speed of 12.5 mph. To damn scary for me I'm afraid. I don't like the idea of making a mistake and being chucked off the back.

I'll set it on a steep gradient sometimes but for now its gathering dust. I'd rather go outside whatever the conditions.

If the machine hadn't cut out and slammed the brakes on while I was going flat out, then I might be more kindly disposed towards it. 

I damn near shat myself!

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

not a fan of treadmills. from my very limited use in shops, they always seem to be way too fast, yet when told what pace they're at it's something embarrasingly slow i could hold for hours on the road.

Therefore, outdoors it is, and you know me, i'll make the best of it.

5 at lunch was decent, with roads fairly fine. The snow always seemed to go in my eyes whatever direction I was running in which was awkward.

just a 4 tonight.

It's the quality that's going to be tricky. I might just do it round the park wearing XC shoes, and see how that goes, anywhere else might become really risky.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I think treadmills can have their place, but to be useful they have to be one of the good ones (ie bloody expensive!) for safe speedwork. They are helpful at hotels etc when you can't get out and I woudn't mind one for the occasional evening speedwork session - just haven't got anywhere to put one, and can't afford a good enough one anyway! The thought of one stopping suddenyl like your Ric doesn't bear thinking about!   A flat, well-cropped sports field with XC shoes is a good substitute for the track in the snow, and you can maintain not far off track pace in most types of snow except a real hard crust. The slight extra resistance can pay dividens when back on the road or track too.

Is the one you use in a gym Dean?

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

bus - both, gym (whch is onsite at work) and at home. 

I agree that doing intervals on a treadmill is an odd feeling but i fear sliding in snow more than falling off the back of one. I automatically slow down on snow so for me repping on it wouldnt work.  Im slow enough on grass let alone when its covered image

SG - not sure you can get a fair reflection of a treadmill by doing a gait analysis.  Perhaps they had the machine set to km/h and they said it was mph.  So you were actually doing 12mph not say 12kmph.  I have seen that happen plenty of times.  but sounds like you chaps dont need to wimp out and go indoors, if i could maintain the pace outdoors i would too image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

week schedule is

• M          5m             4m
    • T           6m             4m
    • We       4m             14m featuring (6x6min HMP,4min Steady)
    • Th         4m x2 (i think)
    • F          OFF
    • Sa         12M, with 4m easy, 4m steady, 4m MP
    • Su    2x3m

Wed is the one day I can't do that big session....so option is to move to Tue or Thur.

Legs feel recovered, so will be better still tomorrow

Am thinking the best bet is therefore to do it tomorrow, road if fine, grassy park laps if not.

Otherwise if i leave it to Thursday, weather might be way worse, and is getting abit close to Saturday's hard session.

That sound reasonable? ( in the absence of the a Treadmill as oer Bus's points above)

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

stevie - where is the LSR? do you normally put some effort/quality into longer sessions.  or is the remaining miles on the wednesday 14m'er done very slow to bring the average down?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the LSR is merged with some quality this week in light of the half marathon coming up.

The Wednesday session has a 3 1/2mile warm up, and 1/2-1mile cool down, the rest 9-10mile range is the session.... 

• Options

I read there is a lot to say that while treadmills support aerobic development/maintenance they can be counter productive when used over time to running efficiency and cause alternation in your natural gait. As your 'scooting' rather than propelling forward like when running over land. I'd opt for the XC spikes and a nearby footy pitch/park and get frost bite! Like SG, treadmills seem to make me work harder for a doss pace.

It's sleeting and raining shitty cold rain. 8 miles... here we go!

Had a cheeky 4 miles last night so last week was 70.5 image

This mornings 4 miles was a pitiful as ever, even got up an hour before to eat and get moving but still trotted out a 8:20 avg! image