Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

34:43 image

Need to stretch, bath and eat, but will be back on later to revel in it.image

image Good going!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great run SG! Will look forward to your report.

A rather eventful relay for me today. I ran the first leg on a 5km loop mainly in a wooded area and then open fields. Two decent climbs in it and pretty much led from the start. Climbing up the first one I got a shout off a mate who runs for another club and was spectating that I'd gone too early. . . . . Cheers for the support!

The lad then caught me so I stuck with him. Both him and the lad behind me ran for the same club who in fact organise the race. What could possibly go wrong?

After the two big climbs I managed to drop one of them with the other 20 metres behind. A fellow club member watching shouted its all down hill from now so I had a good blast down the tight and twisting paths.

Then approaching a gate I notice a group of 20 or so runners led by a group of females coming towards us??? I eventually cross the line in first place with the other two lads behind. It became obvious that the large group had gone wrong and missed the second climb completely out but they were approaching the gate where we met from the right way.

It turns out in the end that the lad behind me noticed we'd in fact also cut around 300 metres out of the course but decided, what the hell. . . .thanks pal!

All in all pretty much the first 30 runners on leg one all ran a different variation of the course. Myself and a few more cut 300 metres out and the others cut the best part of a mile out. There's some PBs been ran today on a tough hilly off road course. image leg ones times were discounted but I know for a fact that people on every leg were running different routes to each other. A lad who started leg two out of the top 5 came home first and took two mins out of a 15 min 5km runner. image

All in all a lot of effort for no reward. Haha
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, another barrier breached. Well done that man!image

Mattl, let me guess. There were comments passed about after that; interesting, event.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Right, so Chichester. That South coast type region seems to be blessed with good fast courses, and I'd heard Chichester 10k was another, fast and flat, with great quality field.

Got down there and a little drama with the number/chip. Envelope and number matched, but on opening the chip it had a different number! Spent 15mins sorting that out, so got another number/chip entirley.

Originally I was in the results as "runner 1332", but was pleased on Bus's post above to realised they'd put my name in later. However, as there's no club name, they haven't quite got me onto PO10 yet. That'll come soon I'm sure.

So, the stats

34:43  (3.23, 3.21,3.29,3.32,3.32,3.33,3.31,3.36,3.24,3.17)

Course profile was basically a fair 1/2 km climb to start us off, inclines at 3ish and 6k, and a sharpish short climb at 7k. The downs to make up for these ups must have been fairly subtle!  I was told the last 2km were "downhill", which got me through mentally, but then I found 8 to 9km was totally flat! And 9 to 10k was more gently down, rather than the level of the "up" in km.

It's probably important to say it was reasonably windy in places today too...I always mention it when it hasn't gone well, so only fair I do when it has gone well!

The carpark was huge, and embarrasingly I had to ask a steward where it was...even though it was about 100metres away image

Nice warm up done, and my body left it until 3mins til the start to get the "last minute baggage" off board. Phew!

What was striking about the start was how fast the front went off. Bear in mind it was up a not exactly gentle climb, I was soon miles behind, and probably only just about top 100 at that stage, with a fast start!

However, pleased to bank time, 3.23, but the acid test is always how the second one goes. 3.21 doing fine.

Remember hitting 5k at something in between 17.20-17.22, and having bypassed 2 inclines. Some windy patches, but not as bad as Andy Reading which was consistent and in your face.

I remember thinking if I can get to 8km on target pace, the last 2km will be comfortable as they're "downhill".

When the 6km incline happened, I thought that would be the end of the ups, so was a little gutted to see this high, but short rise at 7km! Got a bit tasty wind wise around there too.

I was also battling a young lady who had some very strong breathing patterns!

I also started battling this very bizarre styled chap who seemed to monster past like a freight train, calm down, lose places, then do the same again. I don't know if he was doing some kind of bizarre efforts session, or just has the pacing ability of a clown. (he beat me so maybe i'm the clown image)

Getting to 8km felt like a lifting experience, but some brain addled maths suddenly made me fear I was going to miss 35. I was on around 28, and suddenly thought, HELL i have to do 2km in 6mins! But clearly I had 7mins to play with,...image

So 8km started, and I was thinking "downhill, come to papa."

But the downhill was nowhere to be seen, and suddenly it was 9km.

9km did at least have a downhill, but more subtle than the inclines and climbs earlier! However, I did clock the km pace at 2.59 at one point.

I was in that mad "am I going to beat 35 mindset though, as your brain doesn't seem to be able to work stuff out at times of high effort. I was thinking, I've got 45seconds to do about 0.3km and really wasn't sure, and I still wasn't when I was 30metres off the finish as some old bloke was standing obscuring the  seconds on the 34: image

Luckily, I got in pretty comfortably under 35 in the end, and pure re

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

lief!

Such a good standard that Phil Wicks, international only came 3rd!

And 34:43 as Phil said was a mere 71st out of  1666 runners.

Interesting to compare to the Southend 10k in October , which I came 12th in with 35:41 out of 1255 runners!

Having run Chichester 10k it's an odd one. Obviously it must be a fast enough course for top runners and the likes of me to come and have a pb go, but the 4 inclines, and the level of wind, surely mean that there's faster courses out there.

Hopefully Eastleigh is one in 7 weeks when I have another go at 10k image

Dachs and Stevie good guesses, Dachs wins it though, 4secs out!

• Options

Nicely done that man! Good bit of adrenaline boosting drama just before the start to get you pumped too! Was that Emily Pidgeon who was the heavy breathing woman? I thought it was supposed to be a fast course - glad I didn't go all the way there just to get another 36:xx - especially as I wouldn't have been able to blame the inclinces or wind with you  going sub 35 image

Staines is supposed to be fast....

Matt - sounds part laugh, part fiasco!

• Options

Eastleigh is quick by all accounts. Just a bloody long way! Great run and nice even looking splits, I hate that last 4 KM feeling where your brain can't work out splits or times and you get totally confused. On a better day there is more time to come off that, but for now it must be nice being a sub 35 man. And now you're over a minute ahead of me again! Normally I would say 7 weeks is a bit too soon to repeat a distance but I think you'll go quicker again.  

Just had a peak at the Alsager 5 results - 1st and 2nd both ran 23:5X, crazy stuff. I think it was the right decision not to race today.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's a funny one. You'd label it "fast"

It has to be fast, to attract the likes of Phil Wicks, and see the likes of me to a 37sec pb, I can't say it was a tough course.

But then when you say it had  4 inclines and wind surely there has to be quicker!

It just works I guess, with the super quality field.

Dorney lake is certainly a faster course, now that is super flat.But you don't get the super field.

come to Eastleigh with me in 7 weeks if it's still open pal....Mee Meep reckons that IS super fast.

Yep the Pigeon was ahead. I also noticed a woman who must have been another 30sec or so ahead. She wasn't anyone you'd have heard of, but Steph Twell did 33:40s for 1st lady!

• Options

Hi SG... Having enjoyed reading the banter on this forum for a while now, and having also done Chichester this morning, I think your summoning up of the course and conditions to be fairly spot on.... What I did find strange was the position of the start, a bit to narrow for 1666 runners to get a decent get away, which resulted in a lot of elbowing and clipped heels for the first 400/500mtrs, but who said it was mean't to be a friendly sport...

Anyway mate, great result... 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Had a look at some course inclines and Chichester came out as having 26m while the Staines 10k had just 12m.

The Hillingdon 5 was supposed to be a fast course but really it was just a fast race.

Phil knows the course well. He went around it four times back to back last year.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Matt, great little race story! Annoying when routes are screwed like that aint it!

Welcome Bluenose, feel free to contribute whenever you fancy. You're correct about the narrow start! I'd left that out in my waffle. Perhaps because I nipped in at the last minute and was lucky enough to have a clear run on the right hand pavement side.

If you were right in the "throng" it must have been a right old bundle. Hope you had a good race yourself. Birmingham fan clearly? Was hoping you'd get promoted so I could see my boys United at your ground again image

Ric, I'll always remember that Hillingdon 5 ended on a hill! Cruel!

ps not overly a fan of WAVA, no bloke under 40 is image 

But today's 10k is 77.71. The exact same as the CP 10miler.

How wonderfully in line!!

• Options

If Trafford doesn't go too well I might so Eastleight... but it's a right treck!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

looks like 6th March is the deadline for entry, but keep an eye on it folks, as i left it too late one year

• Options

Well done SG - I'm relieved you got the sub-35 off your back!

• Options

SG... Not Birmingham... I'll give you a clue... Just seen your namesake on the telly a hour-ish ago, holding hands with two kids clearly not his own... The B*stard should be arrested...

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

/members/images/493151/Gallery/bastards6_0.png

His name will also go in the book!

🙂

• Options

Hmmm, I won't be able to commit to an entry by then. I'll have to see. I'm beginning to worry that I'm building up my expectations (another sub 36) for my first race since Leeds.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Moraghan wrote (see)

Well done SG - I'm relieved you got the sub-35 off your back!

Have to do something about the 17.10 5k pb from June 2010 this year!

Blue nose...ahh the Everton boys...it is woeful irony as a United fan that the Liverpool player became massively famous for my username after I'd picked it in the early 2000s!

Stevie, a better bet for you might be Silverstone 10k in May. That's very loosely speaking the south midlands...so a fair bit closer, and a perfect flat surface.

• Options

Good result for Utd today, hopefully with a nine point gap Fergie will put a weakened team out next Sunday with a view to playing Real Madrid the following Wednesday... probaly not tho...

Time today was 40.02, which on one hand I was surprised with, but on the other disappointed after a shit first km, and dieing a death at the eight km point, but thats scoursers for ya... Never happy....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I was at that 4-4 Everton game last year. Hit the post at 4-2 up! And the rest was history. Seeing Fergie still bringing on Jones in central mid when it went 4-4 was amazing! It'll be the top line up im certain.

No, 2 secs over the big 40!

Eastleigh on the agenda for you? Or have you done it? I'm expecting fast, with hopefully none of the wind or inclines of today. I am a greedy bastad tho. image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

found this guy's power of 10 page by accident.

How many race wins?!?

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=3369

• Options

Eastleigh was on the agenda, untill I had the we never do anything winge, so may be on holiday... Southbourne 10k (about 10 mile from Chichester), on the 3rd March should be next... A lot of races that day, so normally not high quality field... Then the Yeovil 10k on 1st April and Bristol 10k on 5 May, where I hopefully will acheive my target of 38.30....

I would class that today as being hilly, I just struggle so badly on anything thats not flat... Which is strange, cause I live in frome, and Dachs can verify, Frome is not flat after his HM win last year...

• Options

That's some pot hunting image

Nice to see you posting M - just don't make it need a major milestone form SG to bring you back each time image

Intervals at the track tonight while my boy was at athletics club in the sports hall. It was quite a good session the day after a long run and considering there was the usual Handy Cross strong wind down the home straight!  5 x 800m with 400m recs came out as 2:44, 2:39 (!), 2:43, 2:42, 2:42, which is my fastest set of 800m reps to date, though it was only 5. 

51.6M for the week. Now a nice easy week in the run up to Wokingham, where I now expect SG to leave me for dead! 

Stevie - I might consider Silverstone as well if you are thinking of making the trip down...

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bluenose, Dachs is one of our favourite forum sons and well on the up, but i don't think he won that half image

You wouldn't want to try some of our 10ks this way then! My early 10ks were all MT and hilly! Wycombe 10k starts with a 1mile steep hill! Any prospect of a time is off the agenda!

Nice sunday reps Bus!? Thought you'd learnt about reps the day after a long run image  Nice session indeed tho. Last quality before Wokingham?

Haven't got the schedule yet, but are you up for a Tue-Thur run with me, depending on what day you can work at home?

I'll be up for driving to Wokingham next week if you're up for that. Do you normally have a special parking place? Somewhere better to leave the kit, that's close?

Pencil Silverstone in. The thing that's normally an issue with Silverstone is it splits the quality choice on bank holiday Monday, and the Marlow 5 the Sunday following.

It's probably reasonable to do a Monday and Sunday race, but not sure the Wed Silverstoneis compatible with either.

Also, if Eastleigh goes well, it might be optimistic to think another 10k after that will too.

pencil it in though image

• Options

You could park in Waitrose SG, or one of the other town centre car parks. Down-side there is your navigation abilities!

• Options

It would have been rude not to, as I was there anywayimage

A lift to Wokingham would be most useful, and I do have a sneaky parking spot as it happens.

Will need to check my work diary for later in the week, but will probably try to get one easy reps session in early doors.

• Options

In May I could do Silverstone or Bristol 10K, the latter I know little of apart from the field is often strong. But I've not looked at the dates in detail, I'm doing the Cheshire track and field champs, have the Christleton 5k and a stag doo so likelihood is there'll be a clash.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Ric - I may have been a bit hasty regarding the fella who took a couple of mins out of the young lad. It turns out he's ran for GB on the mountains and the young lad is on the beer etc with being a young lad. Was surprised to see it really and so were a few others.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image Iron, you cheeky dastard, 140+ races, and only problems with about 5!

We do Wokingham every year, but Bus has some special spot, that doesn't involve a 1mile walk in!

Stevie, pencil it all in, and see how circumstances are nearer the time. The Bristol races on rumour alone sound fast.

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Great work SG! A good milestone nicely broken. So you took ? 6 secs/mile off your 10k pb and 7 secs/mile off your 10m pb @CP so we're looking for 8 secs/mile off your half Mara PB !

Matt doesn't sound like it quite went to plan today but good racing either way.

If it shortens a long trip, Anyone who wants to kip over at mine the night before Silverstone 10k is welcome.

Girlfriend has forbidden me from running at the moment due to me complaining about the Achilles after every run, so I'm going to let it fully heal now before resuming training, could be another day or another week image