Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Brilliant Dean. Like Dachs says, you're still Pbing which means more to come! 

Great reps too Dachs, I think the first time I broke 16 last year I did a session where I averaged 3.06-3.07 off a minute recovery. Things coming along nicely. 

Ive a local 10k on Sunday. Supposedly 2500 entered and I came second last year. Not a PB course but would be nice to have a good run in my hometown. just did 3x1000 last night off a min due to Sundays race. 3.00- 3.03- 3.03. It felt terrible and two and 3 were tough. Working in the sun all day and not been drinking anywhere near enough fluid which I don't think helps. 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

cheers chaps-  i look at it 2 ways....

1. i made a mess of the pacing and if i get it right i should be closer to 3rd on that list..if not better.
    2. despite making a mess of the pacing i still came through on the last lap recovered it and put a good PB down. 

The second way makes me feel good about the race today but the first way is what will motivate me to get better and train harder. image  i tend to spend more time looking for the faults to improve than maybe sitting back and enjoying the outcomes.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, great result.

Too fast, too slow. hard to say. Bearing in mind that at 63/64 400m pace, one second equates to over 6 metres distance, the potential for disaster is high. I wouldn't worry too much.

What else is there to do? blow up on purpose to discover one's limits perhaps.

I like to think there's the possibility you actually might have more talent than those other guys on the list. Bearing in mind that they trained like mad men to achieve those results.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

parkrun again this morning. Slightly warm, and a little windy if I'm picky, but nice and firm underfoot. 18:12 for 3rd. Could/should have been quicker, but not helped by running on my tod for 4 of the 5 k! I also had far too fast a start mind, trying to stay with two young lads who I thought would be slower than they turned out to be - they both finished over a minute ahead of me! Splits were 5:35, 6:00, 5:49 and 49 secs for the bit.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Bus, that sounds almost identical to my parkrun today - warm, slightly windy, and 18:22 for 2nd (1st lady) with a way too fast first mile and splits looking more or less like yours! That'll teach us not to pace properly. image

And: bloody hell (again) Dean. Well done! Though too-fast starts seem to be a theme on this thread!

• Options

Well done Bus & Lit.

Bracknell Forest Runners (Sprint For The Line et al) turned up en-masse to parkrun today so I placed slightly lower than usual, not that I ever trouble the fast ones image

I held back during the off to try to attempt something called pacing. It felt hard but manageable all the way round, and I ended up with a 19:59, so back under 20 minutes again and at last! Track sessions and very very easy running seem to be paying off.

No soreness or knots in my legs either image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Good work, Iron. So perfectly judged pacing led to a good result. Hmm. There must be a lesson in there somewhere for us all but I can't quite work out what it is...

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I find with 5ks that even with a really even paced race, after the first 1km the fatigue is setting in and Km's 4 and 5 are hanging onto the pace for grim death.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Snap Lit! Good finish place as well! Which parkrun?

Well done Iron - getting back again is a good feeling!

I agree Matt.  Mind you, the Rye course is always going to be a difficult one to pace well, as there's nothing you can do about the steep steps that come at the 1.75M point. These just mess your pace up totally and it takes a few hundred meters after to get back on top of it.

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

Good work, Iron. So perfectly judged pacing led to a good result. Hmm. There must be a lesson in there somewhere for us all but I can't quite work out what it is...

Thanks. Far from perfect pacing, but the sentiment was there! ) 

Matt3 wrote (see)

I find with 5ks that even with a really even paced race, after the first 1km the fatigue is setting in and Km's 4 and 5 are hanging onto the pace for grim death.

Matt you've summed it up pretty well. The chimp starts screeching and throwing shit at km2 and ramps at 3.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Bus - Beeston (Notts). It's my new(-ish) local parkrun and I hadn't done it yet, so thought I'd better now I'm moving away. And technically was first overall because the actual first finisher forgot his barcode like a muppet.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Congrats on the parkruns lit, bus and iron.

good luck matt today

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Phew, what a scorcher!

Just back from my LSR. Road today rather than xc, in prep for the Wycombe Half in a few weeks. Very warm, but pleased with the pace overall - 7:11 for 15.4M, with a couple of big hills thrown in at either end. I was actually on 7:03 pace until mile 12.5, when I hit Amersham Hill image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

certainly a hot one Bus. Nice run. Not sure your run counts as the S in LSR though...admit it, you were pushing a little image

Just a 10 for me, as I gently continue the build back up after this tiny little hiccup.

Worked well as it was a primary school reunion yesterday (!), 21 years on, ended late (by my standards), I was massively underfuelled and it was hot obviously. Felt a lot better than the 8s the last weeks, and now a 51 mile week, today at 6.56 pace, top end easy.

Small world, one of the girls yesterday brought her husband along. he's a bit of a runner, has posted on here, and was gobsmacked when I told him my username. Apparently, I dished some tips his way ages ago.

he does mad stuff like 31mile trail races, and did some 100mile race the other year! All a bit on hold as they have 1 small kid and another on way...

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Only a little SG image. Good run on the comeback that. I nearly went out early today after being woken up by my daughter's rabbits panicking about something and making a racket at 5.30. I had o go into the garden to check on them and it was a beautiful morning and nice and cool. I was tempted to head straight out for a minute, but went back to bed instead!

It is amazing who you bump into sometimes!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

And who did you bump into in bed then, Bus?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Er, yes -not the best wording that image

• Options

Evening. Even with the windows open it was hot last night so we also had the curtains open. Cue a 5:30 wakeup from the sun. I tried to fight it but was on the bike by 6:30. Nice and cool out and empty roads.

Fast run Bus!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Iron. Particularly pleased that despite the heat, and the sharp (for me!) pace, I've felt fine afterwards.

You made the right decision to get out early! I always feel at this time of year that I should make more of the long days.  Many years ago I was in Iceland in the middle of June. Whatever time of the night we looked out of the windows in our various hotels, the locals were out and about. I guess they were just making up for the long dark winter nights. 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

That'll be me soon, Bus, as I am moving to Scotland. In winter I may have to hibernate.

• Options

I have made quite a lot of early mornings of late. It's nice to see the best part of the day weather wise, and to avoid the heat. Even today it was getting very warm at 0830 even though I started with armwarmers on.

I remember being in Finland in July and it not getting dark at all. A somewhat different experience when repeated in October.

Where abouts in bonnie Scotland Lit? In Inverness it stays light late in summer.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

It was still light at 11pm in sunny lancashire yesterday. image and they say its grim up north. 

Ran the Jane Tomlinson Pennine 10k today. 1600 runners but a bit bare at the front. I came second last year to Tarus Elly and thankfully he was busy today! image made a late arrival to the start as they have you arm waving and dancing on the spot as a warm up.

had an idea that I'd be favourite once i saw who was there but suppose you never really know how things are panning out. The plan is to use the races as sessions as I've no real goal at the min but I did want to dip under 34 mins. (Think I ran 34.3x last year) pretty much a steady climb up to the 5k point then sharp descent and flat to the finish. 

I ran the first mile side by side a lad I know who I knew hadn't broke 35 mins and the rest of the field were a bit back. As soon as we hit the first climb I made sure I put the boot in a bit and he dropped off slightly so I knew I had to make it count even the it was early. Made sure I kept on the button until the next climb to the 5 k point and did the same again. Think I hit 5k in 17.10 or so and was a good 150/200 clear. Sort of knew it was about just keeping it honest and I'd have the win. 

Loads of people out supporting throughout the course and was great to run behind the lead car, flanked by cyclists and recognising the faces cheering me on. Bit of a grandstand finish too with a few hundred lining the streets outside the town hall. Ran 34.00 so pretty happy with that. 

then had the local rag doing Interviews and videos. Even had to have my picture taken with a bottle of powerade and some Muscle milk for the sponsors. Haha! Felt a bit important for a bit. Just glad nobody quick turned up! image 

• Options
    Nice solo effort Matt and a win always good especially hometown with crowds image

I'm hoping for that in either the Southampton 10km or half next year! image will have to get extra quick though I reckon
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice one Matt. From the video, it looks like a pretty big event as well!  What did you win?

Lit - you'll have to take up cross country skiing in the winter to keep fit and burn of all the deep fried Mars Bars image

• Options

A win is a win Matt, good time as well, solid running with no pressure.

Looked at the Southern Athletics League results form Saturday, no sign of Samir. Samir, you out there? Ealing's second runner was M50 in 23:08.

Men's A 5000m                            
    1    Chris Dettmar    SM    Ealing, Southall & Middlesex    16:26.0
    2    Andrew Mitchell    M45    Thames Valley Harriers    16:35.5
    3    Ian Hogarth    SM    Ryston Runners    21:07.3    2        68    
    Men's B 5000m                            
    1    Steve Norris    M45    Thames Valley Harriers    16:51.1
    2    Peter Reed    SM    Ryston Runners    22:48.8   
    3    Phil York    M50    Ealing, Southall & Middlesex    23:08.4   

• Options
    Samir did post in the week that he was injured with something to do with his back so didn't do the race series RiC did last Sunday ..

Hoping he has taken sensible route and if injured not running, and also if anything to do with his back, groin etc not going on 30 mile bike rides! Looks like he would have challenged for 1st place - however his buddy Rick Weston who he came close to beating ran 15:18 the other day, not sure Samir is in that shape but shows 1/2 thingsimage
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good work Matt, quality win and a great experience to win your hometown race.  Nice to follow a lead car, and bikes too.  Proper VIP stuff.

Good parkrunning Bus, Lit and Iron.

Some pacey long runs there too from Bus and SG.  A good bit faster than my long runs currently, which are well north of 7 mm.  That's fine by me, but 7ish wouldn't feel that easy at all at the moment, despite rep times being faster than ever.  Odd how it works.

Iron, do you ever use the Bracknell track?  If so, is it reasonably easy to go and use?  I can't make my club sessions this week, and it is absolutely impossible to use Palmer Park track outside those times at the moment, it's constantly booked.

• Options

Great one Matt. A kill is a kill!

Dachs - I use the track weekly. It gets busy in the weekday evenings but is typically free from 9 on Wednesdays or 8 on Thurdsays (Tue too I think).

Lunch times can be hit or miss depending if a school has booked it for sports day which is common this term. I typically go first thing, so may be there tomorrow morning at 0630 if you fancy it?

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Cheers Iron.  The answer to your last question is a definite no though!  Can't be doing reps at 6:30, my delicate constitution won't allow it.

Matt, I notice that you beat Mike Hunt.  I checked in vain for Wayne Kerr, but couldn't find him.