Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Sorry Lit - well done on the commemorative plate! What was it for by the way?

Ric - sounds a reasonable preformance given the mileage of late.

Iron - where did you get your bike fitting done and how much was it?

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Lit - yay, commemorative plates!  I hope you scrub off the image and add one of my Samir Haddad ones.

Ric - sorry you didn't get what you were after.  Thanks for not taking a picture of me.

Jonny - I think so, you had a very young team out.

Congrats to PP for his team's V40 win.  Impressive stuff.

Cold has hit properly today.  Can't breathe properly when running.  Feel pretty lucky that it hadn't come on fully a day earlier.  A couple of days off are in order, see if I can get rid of it.  Meanwhile, my legs feel bloody brilliant.  It's like I hadn't raced at all.  Weird.

• Options

A fantastic weekend of relays!  Great times from Jonny and Dachs, and I've put another couple of faces to names, meeting forum legends RicF and... Samir!  Yay!  Solid time from you Samir, and sounds to me like you've got a sensible target for Ealing.

A very pleasing V40 team victory for us, which was fairly comfortable in the end with our final leg runner being ridiculously quick.  (30:39 10,000m on track this year!)  But it was very satisfying to take over on third leg in third place, then come through to lead the race before handing over for the final leg.  Time 19:58 was a bit down on what I thought I was capable of, but a few seconds quicker than last year, and the result was more important.

Since we're all getting out our Samir pics...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5560/15315875911_af9ab42003_c.jpg

• Options

Excellent relaying by Samir, Dachs, JonnyD, Phil and Ric taking over at short notice. And even more forum 'legends' in the same place than Reading this spring.

The plate was for first female in the East Neuk 10k in Anstruther, and is quite nice, so I will not be plastering a photograph of Samir's face on it. I also won two bottles of wine, a box of chocolate, seven mars bars and nine cans of Carlsberg. Some of this excellent though unexpected haul was for first ladies' team, which we also won.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

East Neuk 10k in Anstruther

I know that one, lots of people use it as a warm up for the Mordor Marathon.

• Options

Just thought I'd poke my head in and say well done Phil on the team medal, I guessed it was you running yesterday - not that the shorts gave it away...
    If only I'd known Dachs was there I could have got him to sign my plate collection, and devasted to have missed Samir!
    Making a note to check in here before next year's race to see how many forum legends I can catch up with...

• Options
    Dachs wrote (see)
    literatin wrote (see)

East Neuk 10k in Anstruther

I know that one, lots of people use it as a warm up for the Mordor Marathon.

Nearly spat my tea out then Dachs!

Great haul that Lit (apart from the Carlsberg of course! 9 cans is, quite literally, and odd number - did the RO get thirsty and drink three image)

Phil - fast time, even if down on what you hoped. Hope you got the photo signed image

• Options
    I know I don't post on here very often, not having anything to add, but I think it's quite amusing that with all the top class runners in one place, the must have photo and meet up is with Samir. Good runs everyone.
  • Options

Those photos will be prices when Samir breaks the two Grendel image

• Options

six cans for first lady and three each for first team, obviously, Bus.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

In all the excitement about the Southerns, I completely forgot to say well done to Stevie See on the northern relays.  Looks like you're well on track with that performance.

• Options

Ah, that's makes sense Lit! Not just a few random left over lagers then!

Stevie - how did I miss that? Well done though.....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

All this relay stuff has got me thinking.

It'd be a great thread day out if we could put a team in for some relay race somewhere.

Anyone know of any options? Not those ridiculous 24hour races, where you're doing legs at 1am or anything, just normal races, perhaps marathon distance or something?
    Anyone fancy something like that if we can find anything?

probably down this way. apologies northern chaps!

• Options

Is there a relay along the Thames or something?

Cracking haul Lit.

Scott - I only have 2 runs this week as the achilles was a little more tender last week at the heady heights of 11 miles weekly total.

Bus - I was fitted by Adam White in Reading. We've still to do my TT bike. There are bound to be similar services up North near youimage

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Where's the problem in joining a proper running club SG and running events like the one at Aldershot?

🙂

• Options

Aye lad, all tut way oop north t'Wycombe image

Don''t know of anywhere local, but will ask around as anything over an hour gives me a bit of back ache.

I'm becoming addicted to Strava! 

Luton Marathon can be done as a 3 stage relay SG, but there's no way I'm going on that no-good god-forsaken hell-hole of a route ever again in my life!! (no offence to the ROs who actually put on a good event image)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You're such a bloody wind up merchant Ric. Do you ever get tired of the digs?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, that's the one you almost froze to death at right? Probably not somewhere you want to turn out at again.

• Options
    Stevie, I know my club take part in an Ekiden (?) relay somewhere, that would be an idea for you quick guys.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'll look it up, ta Grendel.

Although clearly you mean, "for the quick guys and SG to be a hanger on for" image

• Options

Cheers Dustin!  More RW folks there than I thought yesterday!

I was in the winning relay team at Luton Marathon a few years ago.  Helps if you have a couple of RW team mates both quicker than you.  Even then we were beaten by the solo winner!  Ha!  (Neil Renault, quite quick...)

If you can get enough people together the Green Belt Relay is supposed to be an absolute hoot.

Then there's the Battersea Park 3 x 1 mile relay which takes place a couple of times each Summer, which I've also done with an RW team, even though it's not really my distance.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, good thinking, although they sound the extremes of distance. Something right in the middle would be good. (If Luton is out, due to Bus's near death experience)

Having people better than you, reminds me of some footy 5 a side tournie from years back.

I was a "decent" player at the lowest level, but we had one really good player, and one super hot phenomenal player, who was actually a semi pro in the League of Wales.

It was literally a case of me just being a stopper, giving these two the ball, and they destroyed people.
    Probably one of my biggest footy regrets that we didn't win that trophy! A mixture of me not cynically fouling someone, coupled with our keeper's goonery lost us a vital game 1-0.image

• Options

PP - that was the same year I ran Luton - 2209. After 2 nights of no sleep looking after a dangerously ill child (who I abandoned come race day of course!) race day brought torrential rain which made driving a nightmare. It stopped (thankfully!) just before the race started and the race was run in dry, but very cold and windy conditions on 3 laps of what alternated between pleasant (if hilly!) rural scenery and what appeared to be downtown Beirut! After burying myself to get sub 3, as I (mistakenly!!) thought that was the VLM GFA qualifying time, I crawled up the very cruel hill from the finish line to the race HQ only to become hypothermic and in need of medical attention. My eventual recovery was followed by a bloody awful drive home getting stuck in every pre-Christmas shopping queue around. Ahh, happy days! (not as bad as post VLM and then Abingdon last year mind image).

All that said though SG, I'd be happy to do a relay, but would probably feel a cheat doing it in a race where others are running the whole distance...

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well, I have done a leg of the Luton Marathon, 8 miles and a bit, so manageable. Green Belt Relay - tougher- need to run a leg both days of the weekend. Round Norfolk Relay - too much hassle.

Luton marathon relay is my pick for a 'thread' out. Only three required. The relay is an integral part of the event. Gives the faster marathon runners a suitable distraction.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

When is the Luton marathon? Maybe we'll look at that if it's close? And if we have any chance of being somewhere in the mixer!

Bus, I don't remember the year 2209? What was it like?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Luton marathon not run in 2014 apparently..

next!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

December. In the cold I found one lap of three was quite enough. 

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep, back to the drawing board old son.

Must be something doable up soon.

• Options

That's spooky - 2209 is today!

(you see what it did to my brain....)

• Options

and even spookier, I started that post at at 2209 on 2209 image