Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Scott - don't think I'd have wanted to do 4 of them at a much faster pace.  The 10K training I'm doing will work towards a session of 3 x 2 miles at target pace as the last big session, which will of course be intended to be considerably faster, but 10ks weren't what I had in mind last night.

Not sure I could do 5 x 1m at 5K pace to be honest, and certainly not off 90 seconds.

• Options

Scott - I won't be doing 5 x 1 mile at 5k pace anytime soon (ever I suspect). When training for 5k earlier in the year I worked 5k pace intervals up from 6 x 800m, 5 x 1k to 3 x 1 mile but no chance of doing 5 x 1 mile! Last week I did 6 x 1 mile at my threshold pace and this was reasonably tough without killing me. Will try same pace but 4 x 1.5 mile next week. (Aiming for  2 x 10 mile races mid-Nov and early Dec),

• Options
    I guess though from what I said - where I feel like I plateaued speed wise it probably wasn't my actual 5km pace as I would probably expect to be faster? I mean, if I had a period of working on speed them perhaps I would be saying the same as you guys..

I enjoyed the 3x2 session Dachs and found that was one of the best conditioning sessions I did..

Isnt it the Cardiff HM Dachs ? You do look in shape of late anyway, It is a PB attempt?

Max - I guess the 800s and stuff working up through distances is sound "correct" training..as I just said, you can't expect to get quicker if you keep doing same session at the same pace image I'm still finding my feet with sessions although I have them all planned for next 2 months . They are all bigger volume than I'm used too and slower than before (naturally as I'm less fit but also 'cos of that) it'll be interesting to see how it develops me and if I can get close to PB shape in time
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Scott - yep, the Cardiff Half.  If I don't PB I'll be mystified and frustrated.

I seem to be cursed with half marathons though.  Since I set my PB at Wokingham, I have entered 5 halfs and ended up with 1 DNS (injury), 1 cancellation, 2 I ran very poorly having been ill, and one I ran deliberately below 100% as I was targeting another race the following week.

So that PB ought to be very soft, but I've said that before.

• Options

Hmm, I'm wishing I could go and spectate at the Aldershot realys - looks like it would be fun!

Time will tell Dachs, but if you can carry the level of fitness shown in the session forward a few weeks you WILL smash it!

Presumably Cardiff is a fast course?

I've only done a 3x2M twice before. Not sure why, as it's a great session for a Half - 4 x 3km is even better I guess!

• Options
    PhilPub wrote (see)

And a belated "pleased to meet you" to PMJ.  Well run at Maidenhead, and all the best for CP.  Loved that race a couple of years ago, even if I did have a XC race in my hamstrings from the day before.

It was a pleasure to meet the famed short red shorts (and their owner).

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/imagelibrary/Client%20Images/Client00010/ResizeCache/01502000/01502572%20-%20337x600.jpg

• Options

Will be seeing Dachs and Samir on second leg then! 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I'm on leg 1 Jonny.  I don't know who's on Leg 1 for Reading AC, but whoever it is I'm assuming they'll be ahead of me so you'll already be off and running by the time I come in.

• Options

edit... talking shite again

• Options
    Nightmare! Fair enough, good luck in your leg. What time have you done around there?
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    20:28 last year, which was shite, but to be fair I did have the graveyard leg 6 shift when RRR were already in about 75th out of 85. I should be aiming for a bit under 20 this time.

Fastest leg of the day for you then Jonny? Mid 17s?
  • Options
    Anywhere from leg 4-6 you barely see anyone, I guess with 6 at least you have the glory leg! Sub 20 this year then?

Don't think I'm quite in shape for that at the moment! Just lacking a bit of leg speed to be honest. Besides, it's well known that running the fastest leg around there curses the rest of your season!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dammit, I fear I haven't been entered for Aldershot. So certain I wouldn't be able to move I said as much to the team manager. Now I discover we have a V50 team of '3' sub 18 minute parkrunners and another who could manage about 30!

I can now run, but probably won't.

Looks like I'll be taking the lad to Bath. The Uni down there has a running track right next to his accommodation. He must be getting keen again. He asked for and got my Garmin.

🙂

• Options

Track right next door eh? That will be damn handy!! Bath's a great place to go to uni too, so that's a bonus image

Ran again today. An easy 5.7 at lunchtime. Uncomfortable at times, but not painful and  it actually seems easier after sitting about this afternoon with none of the sharp pain when standing so hopefully some progress. 

• Options

Getting the tingles thinking about all the smackdowns happening this weekend! 

Lets have some match ups! 

PP vs Dachs 

Samir vs Jonny D

Good to see your lad interested Ric, if there's a time to start then it would be now + at uni with those facilities! Would be a shame to see any talent wasted and him be my age thinking what if..But if it's not for him then it's not for him...

JonnyD - Nice to see you back, I think I saw one of your comeback race results after your knee injury? Perhaps the 3KM I remember and it was pretty quick image - Then again you've ran a handy 5KM since although perhaps not quite were you could have been? Jealous of your ability none the less  

Bus - Have you tried any glute releasing and things to help ease those issue your having? It's been a long niggle from what I see?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes Scott, I'm also glad he's getting interested again. He's also improving at a prodigious rate. Ten days ago he could barely jog 200m without going into oxygen debt, Today was different. He was making me work a bit.

Its the sheer speed he can move at which is the thing. His friend clocked him at nearly 20mph while chasing him across a football pitch on a bike.

I suggested working on the 400m. I reckon with some training he could duck 50 seconds.

🙂

• Options
    Can't wait to give Samir some chat in the pen/holding areaimage

Cheers Scott. Had about 7-8 weeks off and to be honest lost most my base work and it didn't happen over 5km. Ran a couple of okay 1500m though so the speed was there so wasn't a complete waste of a season. Sorry to hear about your injury!
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Well, you were fit enough to turn up to my local parkrun and put the course record that I had my eye on out of my reach forever, so not too bad. I bet you were only bloody tempoing it as well...

Sub 20 should be a piece of piss on paper, as its a fraction slower than my 10k pace, but that course seems to catch me out.

Will certainly be interesting to see what Samir comes up with.
  • Options

ric, what is the lad studying at Bath?

• Options

Haha woodley I assume?

Yea I guess it is pretty undulating and the bends can sap your rhythm but running first leg should make it a lot easier. Makes it feel more like a race when you all start together!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Yep, I live right by the start, so I essentially consider it as a parkrun in my front garden.
  • Options
    Well, I'm glad you're back running Jonny! Thanks regarding injury! Only just got over my Achilles issues after several months, I lost all my summer and any base I had lol but hopefully things improve soon on this injury front

Nice to have a parkrun so close Dachs! Mine isn't far away either and can tie in nicely with adding miles to a run without the boredom, not that I've really done that before lol! But may do it Saturday at a steady pace pacing some people

Remember Dachs - it isn't ran on paper image

Ric - if he can harness that speed no doubt a very very quick 400m will come. And then would be cool to see what can happen over longer stuff if it suits
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Phil, MEng Integrated Electrical and Mechanical Engineering.

Scott, I had a discussion with him today and realised that even when he was a regular runner, it was only two or three days a week. Maybe 20 miles total.

Here's a picture from nearly three years ago. He stopped running only a couple of months later after tweaking a calf muscle during a 2k road race at his school.

Halfway around when it happened. His lead was such that even with only one good leg he only lost by seconds.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/P1000367.png

He's a lot taller now.

🙂

• Options

dachs - superb session. you train at a higher level than i seem to and i hope it translates into the PBs it deserves. that sessions looks perfect.  a classic straight out of daniels and most 10k elite training plans.  i guess any session thats not a mass repetition of 10m at 6.45 pace will look odd to some image

Aldershot relay boys - save some for the national finals will be good to have a race against some of you, particularly Super Samir.  Im not doing the midlands as im currently in India. Not eating an awful lot  but the beer is good.  Onto singapore then Shanghai over the next week so reckon i will eat better there.  The day after i return is the Notts Half marathon which im hoping to go round as some sort of long threshold type session.   Should be interesting. 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I confess I'm more impressed with Dachs ability than the session. In my experience, once you're running steady state for 5 minutes, with the ability to keep going at the same pace for longer, you're not running fast enough to produce an adaptive overload.

Running 10 minutes at a time while constantly winding the pace in and out of the red zone is doing something. Racers need a change of pace.

🙂

• Options

I am sure that session, as with the 3 x 2 mile tempo intervals, there is a great training impact but what that session also does is provide a massive psychological impact. When I can nail the 3 x 2 mile tempo session I know I am ready to race at that pace.

I can say this as Stevie has me on ignore but I think his post speaks volumes about his lack of appreciation of training the mind. If he thinks that session is impossible then for him it is. I appreciate he has some tightness/injury issues but from the outside his biggest problem would appear to be between his ears. Belief is important after all!

• Options

Dean - I'd love to do the National relays again but that's a week after the Berlin Marathon.  

Ah, fond memories of coming 75th out of 87 runners on the bonkers first leg back in 2009.  image

• Options
    Can't agree more Max, before my run yesterday I had convinced myself it would be tough when in reality with the right pacing and mindset it would have been no harder than others if not easier..

Once I looked at my stats (HR) I regretted not trying at least.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ric, I must confess that I'm not quite sure what you're advocating there.  I thought you were not generally a fan of smashing yourself in sessions?

A change of pace is important, but there are other sessions to build that.  I felt that my 5K pace sessions did that quite well, and I found myself able to switch the pace during a race better after completing those.  This was a threshold session, and without being any kind of expert on this, I think the point is to run at the pace that generates lactate at a rate your body can learn to clear.  Run faster and you just end up flooding yourself in lactate, and don't get the adaptations at all.

The psychological bit was beneficial, and keeping concentration during yet another 7.5 laps was possibly the toughest element.  I need to have a confidence-boosting session before a race, because I am a bit of a flake sometimes.

Anyway, does anyone else wish to offer up a session for in-depth analysis and take some of the heat off me? image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nationals are the same day as the Cardiff Half, so I wouldn't be able to make it.  I'm not expecting us to qualify anyway.  However, I'll be having a stab at getting a county vest for the Inter Counties XC next year, so hopefully I can get some more experience of what being at the back of the field feels like then.