Options

Coventry Half-Marathon

1235»

Comments

• Options

Well done everybody - last year I discovered that Coventry was the hilliest city on earth and this year it was the hottest too.   Lost 15 mins compared to my PB at the Bath half despite training hard - the heat was a killer.

Support around the course was superb and team raised £1184 for Myton hospice so will be there next year to suffer again.

• Options

Hi everyone,

Was the hardest HM i think i've done (defo conditions-wise). I've done Cov now 3 years in a row and I felt I'd definitely benefitted from knowledge of the course so i knew when to push / hold back etc. but there were many points today when i felt comfortable running 'cos of the heat. I counted the DNF's on the results table and there were 30!!! Think that shows how bad it was don't it?

I still managed a 1:40.44 chip tine and pos of 207th so i'm really happy given the heat and my 1st competitive event since London Marathon which was only 4 weeks to the day after it. Couldn't have done any more with the time. Good job done image

Steve

• Options
    DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Wasn't going to push this one as I always suffer when its a hot race, as I don't sweat much more water went down my back than down my throat.  Finished in 1:41 ish have to check the results but the time was not important, when I got to the 100m to go sign I turned the corner to see an asian guy almost on the floor and trying to get back up on his legs but in a bad way.  I forgot about the finish line and ran over to help him, another soul also came over to help and we managed to get him onto his feet and running under his own steam he crossed the line with us. We both shouted for medical attention for that guy and left him in the capable hands of them.

So did my good deed for the day just hope the 2 guys that were collapsed at the side of the road with the medics over them have made a good recovery, well done everyone for finishing in difficult conditions.

• Options

Hi everyone,

Really well done yesterday - I certainly didn't envy you all running in that heat - it was bad enough standing clapping! There were some sterling performances all through the pack, first to last. Nice to see a local lad win and (for me) a Yorkshireman second (actually it turned out he's from Cleveland and lives in Nottingham but at least he runs for a Yorkshire club).

I saw a few selfless acts, including yours, Darkman, though I didn't realise it was you at the time. It was quite funny watching the St Johns guy struggling to get throught the crowd and over the barrier only to find you'd picked up the 'distressed' runner and whisked him away!

From the time there were still tail-enders coming in I figure that they didn't enforce the cut-offs too stringently.

From the sidelines it looked like another well organised and well supported event.

In case anyone's confused, the results are currently showing last years - they haven't been updated yet (I didn't do 1:36:27 again - I didn't race!).

Mick'n'Phil - hope you got round OK - I saw you at the start but didn't see you come in.

• Options
    i didn't race last year.,.. and i'm in the results !...
  • Options
    darkman.. i suspect youve just explained the photo on the bbc site.... finish gallery about 8th in ?
  • Options

Darkman - I'm quite happy to accept your prediction of 5 mins slower due to the heat because if it hadn't been so hot I may have finished my 2nd HM under 2 hours for the first time. image

As it was, I came home in 02:03:58 (chip), which was about 3 mins slower than last year. I had a good first half, and as I'd done this HM the year before, I was prepared for the hills and found the Park Hill, Alderminster, and Wolfe Road hills much more manageable this year than last, but as with last year, it was the University campus & Kenilworth Road that got me. Those long hills in combination with the heat made me lose pace, and couldn't quite pick it up again afterwards as they totally sapped my energy. Towards the end, I was less concerned with my finish time and it was all about actually being able to complete it!

Still, I'm glad I did it!  I'm now on the lookout for a different HM to test myself on later in the year. Maybe one that's a lot flatter? image

• Options
    Darkman wrote (see)

Hi everyone

Wasn't going to push this one as I always suffer when its a hot race, as I don't sweat much more water went down my back than down my throat.  Finished in 1:41 ish have to check the results but the time was not important, when I got to the 100m to go sign I turned the corner to see an asian guy almost on the floor and trying to get back up on his legs but in a bad way.  I forgot about the finish line and ran over to help him, another soul also came over to help and we managed to get him onto his feet and running under his own steam he crossed the line with us. We both shouted for medical attention for that guy and left him in the capable hands of them.

So did my good deed for the day just hope the 2 guys that were collapsed at the side of the road with the medics over them have made a good recovery, well done everyone for finishing in difficult conditions.

Well done for helping the guy Darkman. I was running (but 25mins behind you image) but my Husband and Mum were waiting for me to come in and saw you and the other chap helping the collapsed guy. They said he was in a bad way and were so impressed by you both sacrificing your own time to help him - I have told them that us runners are a friendly bunch!

TBH I think we all deserve a pat on the back for yesterday, no matter what time we did. SO HOT!I was 13mins slower than last year (and succumbed to a 1/2 mile walk in the shade in Memoral Park which I am ashamed of now as otherwise would have finished sub 2) but still feel proud. The majority of people still couldn't do what we did! Well done to all.

• Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    I only saw one guy struggling with the heat, but he as getting help from two other people by the time. I expected to see more casualities later on to be honest. It was definitely not a day for pb's. But I did enjoy it in a strange way. Well done all.
  • Options

i hope you all had a good day

we got around in 2:29, it was hot and tough -

i felt sad on seeing the casualties - severel people in minor trouble we helped

i did'nt try to push anything as we have Chester FM BH Monday - i'm informed it's as good as flat  

• Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    well done Mick n Phil, you seemed to be going pretty well when I went past you.
  • Options
    micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see)

i hope you all had a good day

we got around in 2:29, it was hot and tough -

i felt sad on seeing the casualties - severel people in minor trouble we helped

i did'nt try to push anything as we have Chester FM BH Monday - i'm informed it's as good as flat  

Superb effort Mick n Phil. I passed you just after 4 miles, going up the hill under the trees, and was the woman who slapped you on the back and wished you well (sorry if I made you jump!). Couldn't believe it when you said you were doing another next weekend - hope it's a lot cooler!

Also saw you at Stratford and am always in awe when I see what you achieve. It's absolutely fantastic and makes me feel like a bit of a wimp. Awesome.

• Options

Absolute killer in the heat. At 1:58, I was 5 minutes slower than last year (my first HM) and a 13 minutes slower than I ran a couple of weeks ago in training. I'm so impressed that others were able to keep their pace on despite the conditions.

I also saw Mick n Phill - amazing. My wife saw Darkman and Co help that guy over the line and was imensely impressed at such a selfless act. 

• Options

Yeah well done darkman, I remember seeing that on Cov's BBC photos, good lad image

My only selfless act really was giving some guy a sip of gatorade who was struggling but i'm sure i'd have done something similar if i'd have seen someone really struggling.

Mick N' Phil it was good to see you both again! Seen you at the top of the hill by the estate before you drop down to allesley entrance image

• Options

Well done everyone. Can't believe you all made it - boy was it hot! Darkman -saw you help that poor guy over the line - brilliant, and you should feel proud of yourself.

I am glad the route was lined with people cheering and chucking water! Nice to see all the photos on the BBC and Mercia FM Websites.

• Options
    elgmelgm ✭✭✭

Thanks Clappy - great support from everyone as always.  Loved those hoses on the estate between Kenilworth Road and the War Memorial Park.

C Whitehouse - must have been on that hill at the same times as you (the one just after Allesley Park ?), as that's where I saw Mick 'n' Phil.  Congrats both.

• Options
    i passed Mick on that hill to bad enough running never mind pushing. Big respect to those guys
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the HM pics will be available? the official ones.
  • Options
    DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Just about to go see those pics of me and the other guy helping him.  I was speeding up when I saw the '100m to go sign', when I went round that right hand bend only to see him there.  The first thing that came into my head was "SOD THE TIME" I know if I was in the same situation I would hope others would do the same for me.  As it was he was shielded from the medics at the finish line with it bending left just after where he was so as they couldn't see him the only thing that popped in my head was I needed to get him to them.  Was really pleased when he suddenly 'woke up' and put his legs down and ran the final bit and over the line under his own steam.

AND to cap it all after I'd got my goody bag and water looked for a seat to get myself back together and who should be sitting next to the first vacant chair I found but the woman (Nancy) who was photographed with me last  year and which appeared on page 7 in the race guide, spooky or what? 

• Options

Yoa wanna watch that Nancy, DM! image

The results have been amended and are this year's now... but why do they not include clubs in the full list or as a search parameter?

• Options
    elgmelgm ✭✭✭

So, how are everyone's pics ?  I look like I'm dying on at least one of mine.

The camera never lies, eh ?!

• Options
    Ooh, the pictures...

GOOD:

Caught with both feet off ground
    Profiled with longer stride than other person in picture
    Pictured finishing the race

BAD:

Caught in middle of deep breath
    Caught with both feet on ground
    Caught with both feet sticking up in the air, while rest of body is in bush
  • Options

All the council's official pictures are on the www.coventryhalf.com site now.

You ALL look amazing - just getting round was quite a feat - well done!

• Options
    DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Just incase some of you didn't see it here's the pic of me and the other guy helping the runner that had virtually collapsed near the finish.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/79773/Gallery/_47902216_finish6.jpg

• Options
    i really should think about my finish line celebrations in advance.