Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Dips - I will be patient and have my fingers crossed!image
  • Options
    Kate Forrest 4 wrote (see)
    Can anyone help ? Thinking of doing my first marathon - would Brighton be a good start ? How do you go about entering ? Many thanks !

Kate Forrest, I think if you're new to marathons then you should run the new Forest Marathon image

• Options

That was a bad joke I apologise, I don't know what came over me.

There really is a New Forest Marathon though and I'm planning on running it. Here's a link

http://www.nfma.org.uk/

People were talking about it in another thread and they spoke highly of it. I'm a big fan of the Forest, I think it's lovely down there so I'm looking forward to it.

• Options
    I've literally just signed up for the New Forest marathon!

It's supposed to be a bit hilly but very picturesque. My dreams of glory in Brighton were shattered by injury, so provided I can keep the ankles & knees together for another six months, I'll hopefully get a good bit of confidence and stamina, ready for the moment of real redemption in Brighton 2011.image
  • Options

Will be HOT HOT HOT

But hey ho.... you'll be in too much pain to worry about the heat image

• Options

Hi All image Current plan is to put in for Brighton and London and decide later on image

Edit: p.s. gmike got 3.47 in London after a 3.40 in Brighton imageimage

• Options
    Thinking of getting one of those Garmin GPS watches

Anyone got any tips?
  • Options
    I've got a Forerunner 305. Best bit of running kit I ever bought. There are probably prettier ones out there, mind.
  • Options
    Kate Forrest: I ran the Brighton Marathon as my first this year. Everything was great for a first timer like myself. Just followed the hints and tips off this forum eg wearing a bin bag at the start, etc and the race was great.

Going to apply for both London and Brighton next year, but to be honest I'll be more than happy if I don't get into London.

Keeping my eyes peeled for the Brighton entry for 2011. Need to enter it whislt I'm still keen!!
  • Options
    My running's certainly improved with the help of a gps thing. the 405 works for me.
  • Options
    Brighton Rocks - ok ha ha !
    What's with the bin bag ? I am a serious marathon virgin !
  • Options
    Hi Kate, bin bag is very useful at the start line as there tends to be a lot of standing around waiting for the off - if you get caught in a shower, it can be pretty cold and unpleasant! Bin bag is easily discarded once you're up and running (though carefully, of course!) image

I've only done the one marathon so can't really say what is the best - but it was London last year, and it was genuinely one of the best days of my life. I was a recent spectator at Brighton, and it was also very good - and it'll probably be a fair bit easier to enter than London.
  • Options
    Well done gmike on the London Marathon result just a week after Brighton!  I can see where you get your inspiration to improve TracyB.  Was pleased to see both of you at Brighton though I did see rather more of you TB than I had imagined.  Have you told gmike that within minutes of us setting off I had mentioned sex? No, everyone, not having it!  TB said that she didn't want to ever win the marathon, just to enjoy running races.  I then said that running was like sex; you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it!image
  • Options

Morning all

Gmike well done on your time Tracy B you must be pleased for him

Green Fairy   i new there must have been another reason i enjoyed running

Will try to get out for an 8 miler today

Must get to bed now as i am falling asleep on the settee

• Options
    Hi both, thanks. No, I forgot GF. I did however tell him about you enjoying wearing fishnets image  Yes, am very proud of him image
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    TracyB - has gmike got anymore marathons planned?
  • Options

Well Done to gmike.................Brilliant times for back to back marathons!!!!

TracyB............Same plan here......Brighton and London entries and decide later!! Have ruled Paris out for now...............but would like to attempt that one day. So proud of you for entering again.

Green Fairy............I think marathon running is more like childbirth. Months of preparation, excrutiating pain followed by absolute joy at the end,......the thoughts of " I am NEVER doing this again"........which you forget soon when the memories of the pain subside..........post race blues.............and then a change of heart as you start to speculate how you'd do it better next time!

• Options

Good morning, lovely and sunny here image

Well done Gmike, fab running!

2btiny I remember thinking, during my first HM, at mile 10 'I'd rather be giving birth than doing this' so funny you should link the two image

Got you training programme sorted yet for next year GF?

See you later

• Options
    nice one Gmike - conversely my London was slower than Brighton and a PW in a road marathon. I could make excuses but I won't.......
  • Options
    Do you like my new picture?
  • Options

That's at about mile 24/25

image Ouch

• Options
    BB love the new pic very apt
    FB well done you on two maras in two weeks, whats a PW?
    Gmike, its all been said by everyone but thats amazing something to aspire to
    gf will you be running in your outfit?

2BTINY you’ve hit the nail on the head about running and childbirth for me, my Brighton race seemed to of mirrored Tracybs in terms of sickness, bollards etc Id trained hard for a sub 4 hours but fell to pieces hated the second half and vowed never again, Now I’m just itching to sign up again and break that four hour barrier, some advice if poss., any recommendations for the next years training program?
    1, I’m overweight so im planning on losing about a stone and a half, to be a more lean mean running machine.
    2, im thinking of taking up yoga/bodybalance for the flexibility stretch benefits, have any of you tried it?
    3, I run about 30 miles per week what would be the optimum way to use this time through the year? Should I aim to increase my weekly mileage and slip in more long runs, im thinking of focusing on 10ks for now so I can build my speed up, is that a good idea? Or should I focus more on half marathons?
    4, im going to focus more on cross training as well i.e. body pump and circuit training, as I do no upper body or real core work, so really balance out my training.

I know it sounds like im planning abit in advanced but Brighton in reflection has really sparked my desire to be an all round better runner, How does all this should does it sound balanced?
  • Options

I signed up ages ago to the Runners World weekly training schedule thingy where they send you an e/mail each week with a schedule.

I've just had one for this week and it says rest all week, don't do a thing after the marathon, just rest and let your body heel for a week....

I'm a bit suprised by that. I thought you were supposed to keep moving?

• Options

Keeping moving isn’t the same as keeping running. A lot of plans/people advocate little or no running the week after the marathon, even if you feel good. Check out Hal Higdon’s website for his perfect post-marathon recovery plan, it takes 5 weeks which gives you some indication of the scale of the invisible damage you’ve done to your body. I’ve gone running three times since Brighton and the longest was 4.5 miles.  

• Options
    Pah.... what a load of old cobblers, man of steel me. Right, enough of this self indulgence, where's me running shoes.....
  • Options

Evolving.. was like parallel living when I read your race report image 

1, You could lose it by doing it for charity image I've lost 2stone this way, although a few pounds back on in the last week! image

2, & 4 Yes, pilates.Enjoy it more than Yoga but it's slipped lately and must get back to it. Core work is definitely beneficial

3, No idea on this one image

• Options

TracyB - Hopefully we will have a parallel pain and threw up free run next year, thanks for the feed back. Do you think you will be running brighton again next year?

Has anyone had experience of othotics im considering getting some one leg is shorter (about an half an inch) and im flat footed so ive had quite alot of muscal strain.
  • Options
    Parellel living with a scary profile pic actually sent me into shock image I'm putting in for Brighton and London.. I can't imagine for a minute it will be any better for me next time round tho... I do however think (although it was a pain at the time) a spring marathon's great as it keeps you active through winter...
  • Options
    evolving - PW = Personal Worst = slowest time for the distance = opposite of PB! I've done slower marathons than VLM but they were either off road and hilly (Beachy Head) or in an Ironman where I've already swum 3.8km and biked 180km so a fast marathon ain't going to happen!

wobbled - while I would not necessarily disagree with Higdon's recovery plan, it does depend on what experience you have at the distance as if you have lots of miles in the legs you do recover much quicker
  • Options

Aha.... FB... I see what you've done there

fat buddha wrote (see)
    wobbled - while I would not necessarily disagree with Higdon's recovery plan, it does depend on what experience you have at the distance as if you have lots of miles in the legs you do recover much quicker

as opposed to

Brighton Rocks wrote (see)
    Pah.... what a load of old cobblers,

So is this what they call di...... uhmm .....dipl..o..macyimage