Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    BR - my local paper is the West Sussex County Times and doesn't cover the Brighton area.
  • Options
    Have just tried to book online for Preston Park Travellodge for next April.  No availability! Same for seafront travellodge!  Hope the rooms havent been snapped up by companies offering extortionate "packages" like London and the GNR!
  • Options
    ... *continutes to lurk..wishing everyone didn't have the idea of early accommodation...*
  • Options

Hi TracyB -hope your throat has got better.

Got to get in early especially as it has been such a popular marathon.  Travellodge will probably up the prices now for that weekend as wellimage.  Am in next year as a deferred entry and would like to stay in Brighton saturday to really soak up the atmosphere and take away the 'will I get there' stress of race day morning.  However the train was convenient and not too long so may have to go that way.  But far too early to get stressed out over next April!!!image

• Options

Diane I am so sorry to hear your bad news. I find that people who don't run (and that included me a couple of years ago to be fair) just do not understand how it feels when you can't get out. At least you still have a wink in you for a charity place.

Brighton R share all you like, we know where you are coming from. Non runners think we are nutters. Why would you do that??? and suchlike. Hope the op goes ok.

Hi GF, is that double 12000 or double 7500 do you think? I heard them say they hope to raise 3 million for charity which would be awesome. I'm up to £474 for the Guide Dogs so am well chufffed.

2btiny i looked across to your hotel as i ran past the old pier it looked amazing! Would you recommend it next year? Did they lay on a bus or did you walk to Preston park? Nice dinner? How nosy am I! just want to be ready......image Oh and did they have a carpark?

Hi Tracy B, hope you had a lovely birthday and that you're feeling better. I vote we all find a hotel outside Brighton, maybe a nice pub type place, beams etc., get the park and ride in and have a big party image

• Options

Diane I am sending you best my best wish’s good on you for trying to remain positive

Brighton Rocks like you i to had never posted on a web site before i started running it is nice to find like mined people i did think that when the race was over that the thread may dry up how wrong i was kind of addicted now

it’s true however you do post things on here that you may not normally talk about and i do sometimes find that I rambling on a bit which by the look’s of it I am doing now

Good luck by the way to all of you who are running tomorrow in the London Marathon

Just heard back from my daughter and it looks like she will be running after all so the PB attempt is now looking less likely

If anyone is interested the link below should take you to the lucozade web site there’s a 50% discount offer they are running the moment http://www.lucozadeshop.com/lucozade_offers_10e.html?utm_source=CRM&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=LZD0042a

i have just ordered some drinks from them it worked out to be about 45p a bottle

• Options

Thanks Toby image Got a voucher at the VLM expo for 50% off too yesterday.

Julia T, I think def yes for the Bluebell 5. Have you signed up? Am feeling loads better thank you! Managed a 1hr cycle (with son) and half hour run (by time not distance!) today - about 97% back to normal image

I'm actually thinking of trying to do London next year..you know.. a different marathon each year?  Jealous of gmike running it tomorrow.

Feeling good tho hot heavy and tired... getting back to training's what I need. Nearly a week off! Loved doing Brighton Marathon, so pleased with running the last 3miles, and raising over £1000 for CLIC Sargent. I'm gonna lurk for a bit but leave this thread as not sure if I'm doing it next year... and to talk about training for a year.....???!!!! image

Keep happy and healthy everyone, and hope to see you on other threads.

• Options
    JuliaT...........Review of the Artists Residence,.........Well rooms were lovely. Had a top sea facing room.....3 floors up which was lovely.......but steps had to be very carefully negotiated on Sunday afternoon!! image It was also very noisy at night being on the street front......but I coped. Breakfast only consisted of a Pain ua Chocolate, satsuma and an Apple Juice in a bag delivered to the room for both mornings. That is their standard breakfast and they have no other arrangements. They do have coffee/tea making goodies in the room. On Saturday we just went out and bought breakfast and on Sunday I was allowed into their staff kitchen to make my own at 5.45 am. This fact on it's own would make me re-book their as it is such a vital consideration!!!! I took everything I needed to make my porridge on either stove or microwave. After struggling with the stove, did manage to get the micro working and had my required oats! They also had bread and toaster and kettle, plates, bowls, cutlery out for other runners as I wasn't alone in this breakfast arrangement. I ate downstairs on a chair below the stairs and washed my things up before going back up to wake hubby. They were very accommodating of my needs. It was actually lovely to be on the seafront to be honest as we kinda felt part of the whole Brighton scene. It was great to walk on the seafront both evenings and there was a HUGE choice of resturants within easy walking distance. We found a GEM of an Italian on the Fri night only minutes away! No transport was arranged to Preston Park but several of us from the hotel walked en-masse to the start which was a 25 min walk and actually was good as we met people en-route, it got the legs moving and was actually quite pleasant. Parking was available right in front of the hotel in a multi-storey underground pay & display car park at £12.00 oer 24 hrs.......so available & close but pricey. Would I stay there again......Yes absolutely! .....Have picked my room for next time.....and will probably take the kids as they have a lovely family room on the ground floor which would suite us perfectly. Next time however, would book direct not via the net and therefore be able to book a one night only and not be forced into a 2 night package with a no refund on cancellation clause. I would also get into the kitchen with a staff member the day before to learn how to use their stove.......neither the night porter nor I could switch it on!!!!
  • Options

Tracy B sorry that you are leaving the thread but yes i think you may be right every ones still buzzing from the excitement and atmosphere of last Sunday at the moment and yes it may well be different once that has worn off SO GOOD LUCK in any thing you do and remember you are a marathoner

I for one hope this thread keeps going because it will be nice to talk to people not only about Brighton but about my training for any other race i may do in the mean time

When i do start training again innerness again for Brighton if i am lucky enough to get in i will be asking for advice and recommendation on race to enter to break up the monotony of the long Sunday runs

But before then i have the Bristol 10k to train for in May and the Bristol Half in September and will probably run Bath half again net March which all have to be train for

• Options
    I'm gonna start training again as soon as the stitches are out. I have several events in mind including the New Forest Marathon, then by next April I will be able to storm Brighton. Hell, I might even win it.... Well... Maybe not win it.... Maybe best time for a bloke my age living in Brighton.... Actually, come to think of it Ive got some mates my age living in Brighton who did sub 2.30 last week..... Oh well.... I'll be fast for me
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Brighton Rock - I am hoping to do the New Forest 10 again this year, a lovely race.

TracyB - I may be running London with you next year image

• Options

Tracy B I'm definitely doing the Bluebell 5, I signed up thro this site yesterday. Thought I might get back to 'proper' training monday.........Dave is trying to get the photos from Brighton into a manageable file size so I'll attempt to get them on FB?? See you over there when i get my act together. WELL DONE on the fantastic fund raising, you deserve a medal! image

2btiny that was an ace hotel review, thank you very much! I think i'll try and get in there next year....we can have a party !

Toby hope your Daughter does well tomorrow (am i right that she's running?). If this thread fizzles out come over to the 'gulp just entered my first half marathon' thread in beginners and chat on there. There are 3 running tomorrow, 2 at london and one doing the Shakespeare. Two also come from your neck of the woods i think and have done the Bath half. It's here http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=132482&last=1&V=6&SP=

Brighton R i'll race you for it image 

• Options

Toby, sorry didn't mean to offend. Am lurking still honest image Just I get on other threads when I'm doing those events, and sometimes duplicate my stories.   Feel free to keep in touch image

Julia T, many thanks! Ok, am signing up for Bluebell 5 now! image

Off to support gmike at London tomorrow (amongst others). Take care all. Enjoy your Sunday image... this time last week.... image

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    TracyB - have a great day tomorrow, will be there with the kids.
  • Options

Julia T yes you are quite correct this will be her first one we still have a couple of weeks i think we due to run it on the 10th of May image 

she was going to do the Bath half but felt that she was not ready I will probably use the same run walk technique I use last year with the wife to help her get round

Tracy B I meant no offence and stand by my good wishes for you and would love to keep in touchimage image

• Options
    So is Brighton confirmed for 2011?
  • Options
    No, the organisers need to meet with the council to get it approved. They want to open entries on May 7th so it would appear that they're expecting that to be quite a speedy process (or they're leaving open the possibility of refunding people if something does go wrong.) Reaction does seem to have been very positive though so it appears likely the council will give it the go ahead.
  • Options
    Hope so, it was an amazing day.

Looking for a winter marathon if anyone knows a good one in the South of the country?

Two in one year; I've really caught the bug!!

Bought a Garmin and a Camelbak yesterday, this is for life now!
  • Options

Afternoon all

Just back from a 6 mile run with the O/H took us 1hr 43minutes which is good as this is the first time the O/H has run that far since last year’s 10k and wasn’t expecting to get round so it looks like the Bristol   10 k could be a family affair just need to get the son interested but I think there’s about as much chance of that as winning the lottery

Again many apologies to TracyB I have just reread post again and it does read like I was having ago when it was not meant to be anything but a heartfelt messageI

will try and be more careful on how I word things next time

• Options

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

Here’s the GFA link that rugger_bird posted on the Brighton 2010 thread

Must admit it was a bit disheartening to see that I would only qualify for the London marathon with my time from Brighton if I was 70+   image

• Options
    Just been up to watch London marathon. Definitely prefer to run Brighton next year. (Having done both). When is that ballott open?
  • Options
    Provisionally on the 7th may and the race is most likely on 10th April. But it's not been confirmed yet. Will most likely be 1st come 1st served again though.
    I'll be doing London next year instead, although part of me really wants to do Brighton again. But London will work out alot cheaper for me which unfortunatly is my priority at the moment. But I'll be back to do Brighton one day, it was fab!
  • Options
    Now I've got a target for next year. If I can shave 10 mins off my Brighton time I'll be GFA for London the following year!
  • Options
    Can anyone help ?
    Thinking of doing my first marathon - would Brighton be a good start ? How do you go about entering ?
    Many thanks !
  • Options

Hi Kate

Yes, Brighton would be a great first marathon - well organised and fantastic support.

We expect entries to open on 7 May, but details have not yet been confirmed for the 2011 race so keep looking at the race website.

http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/index.html

• Options
    Many thanks Adrian.
    Will keep looking and keep running !
  • Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Spent yesterday at London Mara on a baggage lorry!  We were on blue and had most of the international runners bags - some of those guys were amazing.

Keep checking my in box regularly for news from Brighton re my deferred place for next year but nothing yet - I guess I'll have to be patient!image

• Options
    Brighton Rocks wrote (see)

I thought these clothes were being used to clothe the homeless, I didn't realise they'd be sold to raise funds.

I left a nice warm Addidas hoodie cause I thought it might keep some poor sod warm at night. If I'd known they wanted stuff to flog I'd have left them a nice little Prada number

The official response from the Worthing Churches Homeless Charity which hopefully puts your mind at rest.

Any 'warm' clothes that are suitable for the clients have been off sorted and taken to Worthing Churches Homeless Project's Day Centre where they will be used to clothe the street homeless.  Some others have been taken to the hostels (WCHP have four hostels housing 52 people), as many people who are homeless do not have a selection of clothes, therefore, what ever they can get they are very grateful for, this was especially true of the joggers which were left behind.  Other clothes, such as running gear, were off sorted to be sold in the charity shop.  It costs £1.2 million p.a. to provide the services run by Worthing Churches Homeless Projects who help around 450 people every year, the revenue from the shop provides some of the much needed income to ensure they can continue to run the day centre open 365 days a year and their four residential accommodation.  Worthing Churches Homeless Projects would like to assure you that we always put our clients needs first.

Mark
  • Options

Trigger,  2011 Brighton Marathon hasn't even been signed off by the Council so you won't hear anything yet.

A meeting with them last week was positive image