Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    Sounds pretty quick to me PP, i did 5.5 in the dark. It was GREAT - forgotten how nice it is to run in your own little bubble in the dark. With a bit of pumping garage music in my ears.

Don't worry, i have not forgotten the safety code
  • Options
    Peter Pan if your anything like me very easily
  • Options

Good news: My outdoor thermals have arrived and I've created a training plan!! image It starts next Monday.

Bad news: I've woken up with a cold this morning image I was meant to go to the gym soon but I don't think my body will be able to run, argh. Does anyone else manage to train when they feel like ****? This sucks. I feel so lazy.

• Options
    Morning all. Not long til the weekend now.

Sami: I find, providing that I'm not too I'll, that running / cycling outside in the fresh air usual makes me feel much better. Why not try you new running gear and get some fresh air?

PP: if you let me know your budget I'll happily point in the right direction. I'm guessing a hybrid would be suitable for you. Look for a heavily reduced last season model, 2010, from one of the big manufacturers. Trek, Giant, Specalized, Scott etc

• Options
    *tim* wrote (see)
    Morning all. Not long til the weekend now. Sami: I find, providing that I'm not too I'll, that running / cycling outside in the fresh air usual makes me feel much better. Why not try you new running gear and get some fresh air? PP: if you let me know your budget I'll happily point in the right direction. I'm guessing a hybrid would be suitable for you. Look for a heavily reduced last season model, 2010, from one of the big manufacturers. Trek, Giant, Specalized, Scott etc
    Tim, thanks, budget, no idea really as I don't really know what they cost, I suspect that like most things in life you can spend a fortune on the best or buy the very cheapest and somewhere there is a half way house!  Hybrid sounds about right.  Where should I look?
  • Options
    Sami hope you feel better very soon, I agree with Tim, a trot round the block in the fresh air normally perks me up. And it's a great hangover cure....

I'm writing my training plan this weekend, starts on monday with a rest day

;-)
  • Options

Anyone here doing the Brooks Brighton 10km run this Sunday? I'll be there. It'll be my second ever race

My first race was also a 10k, the Pride Run in London in August. I was really pleased with my time of 52:52. I'm hoping to beat that on Sunday. 

http://www.brooksbrighton10k.co.uk/

Have a great weekend everyone.

Vince

• Options
    PeterPan wrote (see)
    Tim, thanks, budget, no idea really as I don't really know what they cost, I suspect that like most things in life you can spend a fortune on the best or buy the very cheapest and somewhere there is a half way house!  Hybrid sounds about right.  Where should I look?

Ain't that the truth. You could spend five times the amount Julia spent on her bike just buying a pair of pedals. image

I'd have a look at the sale items on evanscycles.com , winstanleysbikes.co.uk , jejamescycles.co.uk as they normally offer good discounts

One of friends, who just got into cycling recently, bought a Giant Rapid which seems a decent piece of kit that'll last, but more importantly worth upgrading parts as and when they wear out. Just make sure whatever you buy that its fits.  

• Options
    Tim: fits? How so? A bike's a bike?
  • Options
    A big bike is no good for a small person. You have to buy the correct frame size; plenty of size guides on the internet and the best place for looking is on the manufactureres own website. There are things you can do to help like change the saddle height / angle / position, or fitting shorter / longer stems to change the reach to the bars. But the frame size needs to be (pretty much) right to begin with. 
  • Options
    Pg good luck for sunday, hope the rain holds off for you.

I'm ashamed to admit that my bike has been chained to a lawnmower in the shed for the past year for security reasons and i've not got my bottom in gear to ride it.

<<<blushing face>>>>>
  • Options
    I blame my hours changing at work..................
  • Options
    Tracy B - good luck for tomorrow!!!
  • Options

Thanks Julia T! I found a friend to do it with me. help drag me out of the mud pits, but sadly the race is full! Remember it's only a 5K! www.muckyraces.co.uk image

PG good luck too.

PP you can go into Evans and get a bike fit (and not buy the bike) - the sometimes they have a turbo in there so they can hook the bike up and make it like an exercise bike for you to try out. I got a Giant hybrid early in the year off Wiggle. Great prices on there but wait for more when they have a sale, which is regularly. I think you can google how to bike fit, and get someone to help your measurements. OH did mine before we ordered off of Wiggle. It needs to be the right frame size, and reach for handlebars etc...  I got a Hyrbrid, as a going half way point, but now wish I would have got a road bike. With mountain bike you can go offroad and road. With a hybrid you're limited to the off-road terrain you can go on. With a road bke you're more prone to punctures. This is obviously just my view. Hybrid is inbetween the mountain and road, but a road bike's lighter/faster! 

• Options
    a word of caution, Sami , and everyone else too - do NOT ever run if you have a temperature or any problems below the neck. Above the neck, such as a head cold, you're ok to run, other than that please don't, it's very dangerous and can cause inflammation of the heart - which in turn can mean you won't be able to run any more and in extreme cases, you could die. I'm not kidding, I have known 2 very fit runners, one a British international orienteer, who died after going out to run when not really fit to, and several others who've not been able to run since they got their heart muscle damaged. So be careful.
  • Options
    Gosh, that is scary. My cold is sitting in my chest right now so I definitely won't be running!! I haven't got the strength to even try to!! haha. I'm hoping that another days rest tomorrow and I'll be able to go to classes on Monday. It's driving me insane not being able to train.
  • Options

pgbear - I'm also doing the brighton 10k tomorrow, looks like it'll be cold but otherwise good for running. image 

Just noticed as well that Liz Yelling is competing tomorrow. image

Good luck, have a good run. (And everyone else racing tomorrow)

• Options
    off out in the woods with one of our dogs. Today is grey and chilly, complete contrast to yesterday's warm sunshine. Still, it is what it is - training will be done. Report later.
  • Options
    Morning fellow threadlers, hope all the racing is going well,

UI that is really scary, i will run with caution if i fall ill

Have a nice sunday
  • Options

38:27 for the Brighton 10k. Had hoped to nip under 38m, but a pb's a pb so...image

• Options
    Tim/TracyB: Thanks for the help/tips. I'll start scouring web sites. There's an Evans attached to Up & Running so will try and get in there one day during the week
  • Options

BB - that's a great time, well done.

Did 12km in the forest with dog Nemo, then 30mins spinning on the indoor bike to a Slade CD, another 30 mins of weights, ending with a stretching routine. Feeling great.

I'm back on track!

• Options

Ideal conditions on the prom di prom this morning and well done BB,  I ambled over the line in 52.50 (well wasn't really an amble, I was feeling a tad sick through effort!) Fastest 10k since my long injury lay off so pleased to be getting back to fitness. Great seeing Liz Yelling in the same race and really gave me a boost to be back amongst local runners again, makes me realise just how many friends I have made over the years through this running malarkey.  image

• Options

Well done Dips. I've not raced a 10km in years so will be interested to see what I do in the New Year's Eve one which I've been persuaded to run!

Great race unfolding at Ironman Arizona - only just coming up to 2 hours now so a long way to go, but of the leading 4 women on the bike, 3 are British, Leanda Cave, Chrissie Wellington and Rachel Joyce!

• Options

Did a good 11 mile LSR yesterday and nice to run without it raining, groin felt pretty good as well which is even better.

UI - Glad to hear that you feel over your injury and back to  normal.

• Options
    Well done today Beachbum & Dips image
  • Options

Well done BB and Dips image

Did 5-6k Mucky Races Guts n Glory... longest 5k ever with a PW of around 1.09 (waiting results, was a chipped race). Had a fantastic time running through mud pits, climbing and falling down hills (more of paths dug out of mud mounds) and jumping through puddles! Was preparing to put mud on my face to show how muddy I got when I didn't need to after some 'puddles' going waist deep, with the deepest going shoulder-deep! Would be easier with longer legs! What great fun! I had slippery mud and did it to face my fears! Bloody loved every minute of it, even the obstacles they'd set up (like a mini tough guy!). Would recommend it for anyone that fancies an off-road race! www.muckyraces.co.uk image

• Options
    Beachbum well done on your PB, that is a time i can only dream of!

UI did you have Goodbye 't Jane on that CD by any chance?

PP good luck with the bike hunt. I mentioned to Mr T today, as we were driving -very unwise - that i was considering a triathlon next year after Brighton and he nearly crashed the car. I'm not exactly sure why.........

Dips well done you your great race too, lovely to hear you're recovering well after your injury.

RA well done on your 11 miler and that your injury seems better.

Waves to TG

TB well done on your race, I've seem the photos and it looked hilarious. I'll do it with you next year..........and you cannot take any notice of your time on an occasion like that!

I did 10 miles this morning, building back up again for Benfleet 15 in January, not too hard so i haven't lost all my fitness it's nice to see
  • Options
    Evening everyone. On the iPhone so I'll be brief.

Well done to everyone who competed this weekend. Nice running beachbum, a very respectable time. I'd like to enter a 10k at some point and see how I'd get on.

Went out for 7.5miles on Friday and had a couple of hours of mountain biking today. Nice to be away from traffic and messing about in the mud.
  • Options

Thanks for the good wishes for my 10km in Brighton this morning. I had a brilliant day! I did it in 51:46, which was 1 min and 6 seconds faster than my first ever 10k run in August.

I am seriously toying with the idea of entering the Brighton Half Marathon on February 20th. I think it will be very helpful in my marathon training.

Have a great week everybody.

Vince

http://www.brightonhalfmarathon.com/