Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    SR, that's hell of a pace - keep it up image)

I agree about the dogs being kept on a lead if owners can't control them, happens to me a little bit when I run in the country park.

Have a running w/e one and all.
  • Options

Stop being so sensitve SR, no one is telling you what to do...as if! image  you asked for advice and you were given some, its up to you what you do with it, but that is what forums are for, supporting other runners and tapping into experience. 

Did you ever do as you were told at School by the way? image

Julia, Master, forgive me for I have failed. image

• Options

Evening all. I haven't posted for a while but have just been reading back through the replies. Some good running going on, and nice to see some new faces on the thread. Welcome.

A few mentions...

GF sorry to hear of your problems. Get that second opinion, and take it from there. If you don't make it to the start of Brighton, maybe sign up to something later in the year..?

SR nice running. I like your ad-hoc 'structured' style!

Beachbum take it easy and rest up. Chances are you haven't lost a lot of fitness in a few weeks

Everyone else hello!

Me, I've had a mixed week of cycling and running. Managed to fit a 30 and 50 mile road ride, a couple of odd hours on the indoors rollers, and two 6 mile runs. Pretty busy, but felt good. I'm going to stick with the bike for a few more weeks to get my base fitness up, and then start pounding the streets on my feet. I hope to be in a position where I can easily run 10 miles, at 6:45 - 7:00 minute miles before Christmas, and then the marathon training starts image

• Options

Hello everyone image

I'm new here!!! I got offered a charity place for the marathon yesterday and I'm sooooo scared.

This is my first event, first marathon, first everything! Hellllp.

I'm a regular at the gym, but am a treadmill runner at the moment. How do I make the transition from the machine to the open road safely?! How much of an adjustment is it going to be? Oh yeah, I've been operating in KM aswell so this whole mile thing is new to me! haha....

So yeah... just thought I'd say hi! image

• Options

Hi Julia T, this will be my 4th marathon, have done new york, loch ness and then london, pb was loch ness in 3hrs 29 mins, hoping to get under 3 hrs 15 mins at brighton but not sure how achievable that is going to be yet, will have to see how the training goes

• Options

I confess I haven't run for the past couple of days, but my lovely White Shepherd dog Oz was attacked and bitten by a  Rottweiler on Thursday, so I've been looking after him. Luckily he seems none the worse now for his ordeal but he looks very odd with half his head shaved of hair! Have to take him back to the vet on Monday to have his stitches checked.

I shall do a long run tomorrow with my younger dog Nemo (black German Shepherd)

• Options

Poor dog UI,  Rottweiler's scare me!

Enjoy the run though.

• Options

JT & tim - cheers, race is on the 21st Nov. Think I can still make a pb based on the volume of training done over the summer, just a bit frustrated to be hampered at this late stage by something so minor. But hey ho...

sami87 - welcome aboard! image

• Options
    TracyB & Julia T - Well done at Billericay 10k today image
  • Options
    Waves to everyone, had a great race today and met up with Tracy B and Tracey G. Not my best ever time but in view of all my LSR this year and NO speed work i'm happy and i finished strong with a good spot of overtaking over the last 2k

Tracey G it was great to finally put a face to a name, well done on your race too. The paperweight is lovely isn't it!

TB FANTASTIC race girl - can i just blab that she broke the 60 min barrier again??? ( i am so not jealous. think i may have to join her running club)

Sami welcome aboard, you'll be fine, heaps of time and plenty of support here. I would say the first thing would be to make sure the trainers you wear are ok for road running and then really just take it very slowly, even to just a mile on the road initially and build from there to avoid any injuries.

Goforit i suspect Brighton will be much flatter than Loch Ness so that is a plus point for a PB.

UI sorry to hear about your dogs injury - Dips they scare me too image

• Options

Julia T - I did my first Billericay 10k a week after doing Beachy Head marathon. Was doing well and then just died towards the end. Sami says she is a friend of yours image

TracyB - I is something special doing a sub 60 mins and do to it twice is not is fantastic. Before you know it you will be doing it in 55 mins. My fastest 10k is Serpentine New Years Day 10k two years ago. So you never know what 2011 will bring image How did gmike do today?

• Options

Hi everyone, thought I would join in this forum as I will be giving medals out on the finish line again next year.

Have run 138 Marathons/ultras so if anyone wants any advice, don't ask me! 

• Options

Morning all

Just a quick post

Had a rest day Friday but went over the gym Saturday afternoon with the O/H

May well have ago at a run this week just to see 

Glad every one is getting on ok 

Supergirl  Pam it was lovely to see you again at Leicester

Sami welcome

Waves to everyone else
  • Options
    Morning all, piddling down with rain so will do a Wii fit workout instead of a recovery run image (not that i'm a wimp)

TG I didn't recognise your friend - where does she know me from?

Hello again Pam, i will try not to drip sweat all over you next time!

Waves to Toby
  • Options

Starting to get itchy feet through lack of running - end of the month can't come soon enough.

Friends pointed me in the direction of a few 10ks just before xmas as a short term motivational goal as a build to April.

• Options

Afternoon all

Well went for my first run in over two weeks this afternoon and only the second one since i ran Leicester on the 10th of October weather was lovely quite a change for this morning on my way home from work when it was blowing a hurricane start outside the gym and did a 3.38 mile route that took be back to where i had started

Had a nice steady plod well when i say had i nice steady plod that was about all i was able to muster any way i wasn’t in any hurry and the whole idea to day was to see if the shin splint had mended?

Which i am pleased to say it seems to have it took me 0:34:18 to get round which works out at just over the 10 m/m so not to bad then in to the gym for a swim 

may be forced to have a rest day tomorrow as i have someone coming to have a look at a conifer  tree in the back garden that needs cutting back it actually belongs to next door  and must be at least 30 foot tall and that’s with the 10 foot they had cut of the top a few years back

It does look nice but the bottom branches are now half way across the garden so it needs looking at

P/P I know how you feel i have been getting rather down in the dumps not being able to run

Waves back to Julia T

Ultra Ironwolf sorry to read about OZ i hope he getting better are you going to do some thing about the Rottweiler as it was your dog today but could be a child tomorrow

• Options

Does anyone here suffer from IT Band problems? I get this annoying ache/pain on the outside of my knee which happens after about an hour of running. It sometimes builds and builds to an excruciating degree and I am forced to stop running and have to hobble along till it eases. It started about 2 months ago and I've tried to ignore it and hope it will stop occuring, but on every long run it reappears.

Any good tips on how to get rid of it?

Vince

• Options

There's a good exercise for stretching that - stand next to the wall, cross one leg in front of the other and push your hip out to the side as far as you can. The IT band starts up at the hip and travels down outside your knee. Works for me.

(edited for typo)

• Options
    morning all, about to head out into the driving rain, howling wind, freezing cold...............o the joys of winter running.............
  • Options

TG - Sami is not my friend she mentioned you on another thread. You inspired her by your weight loss.

Toby - It always good to enjoy your runs, even more so after a break.

• Options
    pgbear wrote (see)

Does anyone here suffer from IT Band problems? I get this annoying ache/pain on the outside of my knee which happens after about an hour of running. It sometimes builds and builds to an excruciating degree and I am forced to stop running and have to hobble along till it eases. It started about 2 months ago and I've tried to ignore it and hope it will stop occuring, but on every long run it reappears.

Any good tips on how to get rid of it?

Vince

What's an IT Band?  

I do (sort of!) I've had something similar and it's one of the reasons I'm banned from running for another couple of weeks.  My pain was very similar but on the inside of my knee. I've been through MRI and a consultnat surgeon but it was the physio who worked out why.  She got a colleague to spend an hour putting me through my paces on a wobble board catching balls thrown at me, on a running machine and a few other exercises.  After an hour she told me that when I get tired my left hip drops  which twists my knee and causes the pain.  She sent me on my way with a series of exercises to rebuild hip strength and my quads. I've subsequently had 6 further sessions with her and it's definitely better to the extent that I've stopped taking voltarol either before or after 90 minute runs.

Fundamentally rest (as with most things) is one of the best cures, but I'd go and see a physio too.  Good luck.

• Options

Been taking it easy for last few days as had another niggle in leg muscle. Plenty of RICE seemed to do the trick and had a gentle 1 1/2 miles on treadmill earlier with no discomfort so will slowly build the mileage back up during the week. These niggles are starting to get to me now, so will be addressing my training to try and ease up on some of the quality work whilst still keeping up a high weekly mileage. Got a half marathon a week on Sunday and a 10 mile event the Sunday after that and a full marathon two weeks after that, so all effort will be going into staying injury free for these races. Think I have learnt the lesson of there is no point in going full out to beat PBs in training that do not mean anything, and then picking up an injury through training to hard that I have to pull out of races where a PB would count.

The Podiatrist has been in contact about my ingrowing toenail at last. Have an appointment on Thursday morning for them to inspect the toe. Hopefully find out then what is going on.

Well done to all who were out racing last weekend.

• Options
    TG that's nice to hear, what is her code name?

Waves to everyone, good luck on thursday SR
  • Options

Just been playing around on MapMyRun, and really do like this website. Now got several runs over different distances ready to try out. It is tricky working out routes to run from home though due to living in a bit of a dead end town that has only two roads in and out which are no fun to run along. Only really leaves the beach, so all my runs have the bulk miles along the coast, which I suppose I should be grateful about, but like anything you have to much of, just end up taking it for granted and always looks the same.

Decided to scrap my 25 mile training runs I go on. The risk of injury is to high to keep this up. I started doing this distance back in February whilst getting ready for my first marathon, but do not need it no more. Worked out a 19 mile run for my normal long run and a 22 mile for when I have a marathon coming up. These short of twist close to home at about 3 points during the run, so if any injury worries crop up, I can abort and not have to far to hobble home. My previous 25 mile I used to do was an out and back, which meant if I had issues whilst on this run, it could leave me with a long walk home, which I did have to do once due to hydration issueimage, before I bought a back pack.

Will go to the gym tonight. Just 3 miles planned on treadmill with maybe a 1/2 hour swim.

• Options

Afternoon all

Well got out for the run today started outside the gym again and did the 3.38 mile route again then in to the gym for a swim shine stills seems to be holding up

Had a rest day yesterday the man came and had a look at the tree and quoted me £240 to cut the tree right back to the fence and get rid of all the waste

• Options

12 miles done in 1hr 22m. Fairly comfortable, still feeling a little gunked up post-cold, but getting there. Going to experiment with a low milage/ high intensity taper next week before the Brighton 10k, will have to dig through my back issues of RW to find the piece on this.

SR - seems a wise move to ditch the 25-milers. 19 - 22 is plenty for distances up to the marathon, any more is overkill really, and just too risky injury-wise. Of course if you start running ultras....image

• Options
    19 miles long run every week is overkill too if you are targeting a particular marathon to pb at, but we have been here before. image Smart training SR, smart training...one of these days! image
  • Options

Hi everyone! image It's so nice to see what everyone is doing!!

I've been given a lucky break, in a way!! I've managed to enrol my personal trainer onto my marathon mission so I'll be having professional help! *phew* ... I'm starting my outdoor training next week I think, as long as it's not raining!! Nervous...! I really dislike the cold... haha.

Does anyone have any recommendations for outdoor running clothes? Where do you buy them? My trainers shouldn't be a problem, they're Asicis and have a gel lining or something. Very comfy image

Thank youuu image

• Options

Sami87 

Try JJB Sports or if you want to shop online www.sportsshoes.com are very good.

Enjoy your winter training and MAKE SURE YOU CAN BE SEEN AT NIGHT!