Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    10km run in the woods with my dog today, wonderful weather, very spring-like - when we got to the bottom of the hill to turn left for home I seriously gave thought to turning right and going back up into the woods for another round. Then I got sensible and came home, don't want to jeopardize my recovery by doing too much too soon as I usually do. I'm not patient, always want to get back to my usual standard right away after injury.
  • Options

I have just started using the treadmill at my gym recently and wondered if many of you also use a treadmill. What are the pros and cons as compared to running outdoors?

Until I read the treadmill article in the current Runner's World magazine, I'd never even considered using the treadmill as I thought that it would be inferior to running outside. Now I am starting to think it might be a more convenient way for me to get in a run after work, as my gym is on the way home. 

Something tells me a 6 mile run done at 10min/mile pace on a treadmill will be much easier than the same distance/pace outside. When I used the treadmill for the first time last week, I set the speed at 6mile/hour which is 10min/mile and was puzzled at how incredibly slow and easy it seemed. Does this mean to get the same benefit on a treadmill you really have to up the speed to much faster than you would run at outside? 

Is it a good idea to use a treadmill or should I just stick to all outdoor runs? My plan is to do at least two outdoor runs a week and get in one or two treadmill runs, once I start my 18 week marathon training plan on the week of Monday December 6th.

I will be using the Hal Higdon Novice I training plan. Hal Higdon's site was a recommendation I saw in a recent post here.

Hal Higdon's MARATHON TRAINING GUIDE

Vince

• Options

Hi Vince,

Well I have to be honest, there is no substitute for good runs out in the fresh air. However if your schedule says run and the weather is really bad then treadmill is better than no run at all! I would set it on a slight incline to make it more like an outdoor circuit.

I have run 138 Marathons and Ultras and to be honest the only time I use my treadmill (in my spare bedroom) is during the winter when it is snow or icy conditions.

My attitude has always been that I run for fun so if I am not going to enjoy it then why bother! Having said that if I were a serious athlete following a strict training plan then I guess I would have to force myself out of the door!

In the good old days when I was running 4 hour Marathons I followed a 5 day a week plan which worked for me and I was training with an athletic club 3 times a week.

It helps if you plan to run with someone then, if the weather is not so good you will still go as you won't want to let them down.

I am not a qualified coach but feel free to ask me anything about running, I may be able to help

• Options
    Pg i have Hal's book and was looking at that plan only this morning! I was also interested in the next one up, purely because it has 2 20 milers in it, i think this will benefit me this year as it's marathon no 3 for me and i really want to run the whole thing and not weedy out towards the end or up the (admittedly small) inclines.

Just 4 today, feeling a bit lackadaisical due to blood donating on friday and i'm trying so hard to lose another stone or so before Christmas.

Hope we are all having a nice weekend, waves to everyone image
  • Options
    and Sami, it's great on here isn't it! You wait till you have all the questions on nutrition and bodily functions that you want to ask...........;-)
  • Options

Afternoon all , hope you enjoyed the weekend!

No runs for me since my last post, but I have done a couple of indoor sessions on the cycle rollers as it has been wet outside and allowed me to combine cycling with watching the Formula1; so two boring activities at the same time image

With all this talk of schedules I have been, vaguely, looking for one to use for Brighton. I'm aiming for sub 3:30, but they seem to include at least 4 runs a week image

• Options
    Don't you run when it rains Tim? image
  • Options

Dips - I've given them an email image

Julia - I am reading a lot about those very topics at the moment. The one that scared me the most was people being sick while running!!! Yikes....

• Options

Sami - I have never been sick while running and Brighton will be my 45th marathon.

I am primarily a long distance triathlete so have done a lot of experimenting with nutrition because we need to eat something every 15-20 mins while cycling, so it's crucial to get the right mix of nutrients. Just going out for a run, I will take a mug of sports drink and a banana, if going for a long run will also eat a sports bar, do my run, then afterwards I eat either a bowl of musli with fresh fruit or toast and peanut butter. It is extremely important to eat a mix of carbs and protein within 30 mins of completing your run.

Edited to add: prior to a race I will eat only toast and honey or marmelade, and a sports bar, never skimp on my mug of coffee because my system is used to it. Even if like me you normally eat only wholemeal bread, brown rice and pasta, etc., the day before a race you need to eat white, because it's easily digestible.

• Options

Carbs is my biggest fall down at the moment. I have a bit of an issue with pasta, rice and bread and tend to get most of it from rice cakes or beans. After my gym sessions I have a maxitone shake to boost my protein... before my sessions I have a banana and a cereal bar. I know I need to sort it out or I'll never survive the marathon!! I just don't know how.... yet!

• Options
    Trial and error Sami, please don't fret about it all, just try out different foods etc as you go along. When you start building up you will soon work out what isn't good! How about Smoothies before hand? How about porridge?
  • Options

Dips - how did the Marathon Training run go yesterday, unfortunately I couldn't make it and I will miss next weeks due to the Brighton 10K but hope to join a few of them in the future.

Regarding one of your earlier posts, I noticed that the Worthing 20 is advertised for 27 March next year although I guess this may be a bit too close to Brighton...

• Options

Hi everyone. Just come back from 5 nights away in East Sussex had a great time despite the weather.

Did a 13 mile LSR on Saturday and my groin has felt pretty good since which is good news.

SR - Regarding training plans, interval training etc, if you're interested in some of the physiological reasons etc. for the various different types of training then you could take a look at the book "Run Less Run Faster" (Amazon have it). I've found it very enlightening and helpful, it also includes various "testemonies" from runners about the overall training approach and training plans including the pace you should run various sessions at. 

For those that might be interested Amazon are currently selling the Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS for £90 which is £60 off the list price, I've never seen it below £100 before. I really like the 205, as  does my wife, and think it's a great piece of kit.

Cheers everyone and keep on going!!!!!!!!

• Options

Rob- W

The training group was great and lots of positive feedback which is always nice to hear, about 150 turned up so quite a spread of abilities. Its the 10k for me this Sunday too but I'll be back with the group the following Sunday.

Yes, for me, March 27 is just too near Brighton Marathon for a 20 miler, some might be ok with it but I have a tendancy to push the pace at Worthing so best left alone.  There is usually one in Cranleigh too but I've not looked for the date yet.

• Options

Afternoon all,

I hope you are all well.

Completed the Sodbury Slog yesterday, great fun again; this was my last race for the year, nothing planned now until the Brighton half in February. Combat class tonight and a longish run planned for tomorrow.

Welcome Sami

• Options
    Running Again wrote (see)

For those that might be interested Amazon are currently selling the Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS for £90 which is £60 off the list price, I've never seen it below £100 before. I really like the 205, as  does my wife, and think it's a great piece of kit.

just done a quick internet search and that price is well below what anyone else is offering it for image
  • Options

Afternoon all

Went out for a run today did the 3.38 mile route again starting at the gym then went in for a swim
  • Options
    Just popped by to say hello. Getting a bit nippy, lovely running weather. Until the slippy stuff arrives image
  • Options

Morning all]

Late one again today i was going to up my run to 4.75 miles today but now will have to see what time i get up i may well just go for a swim

Charlotte well done to you on completing the sodbury slog i no a couple of people who have run this and both side they ended up knee high in mud at times

Dips nice to hear from you some good advice as always it help me a lot at this years race

Sami welcome

Waves to every one eles

• Options
    Evening all. Just popping in to wave and congratulate everyone on their training. I'm still on the 'slow' come-back trail and trying not to get injured. So far so good....
  • Options

Evening all!! Hope everyone is good image

I've had a challenging day! My personal trainer got 6 miles out of me during our hour together so I'm quite proud of that and I also entered for the Brighton Half! My boyfriend said he'd run it with me which is both a blessing and a curse.. overall, a successful day! image

• Options
    sami - well done on your 6 miles at 10:00 pace image
  • Options
    Golly what happened there? We ended up on page 3! Everyone must be out running......

But not me, i've had a rest day apart from pushing my trolley around Sainsburys.

Well done on the slog Charlotte, Tracy B was trying to persuade me to do the muddy races with her on sunday but, sadly, we are off to the in-laws for lunch....;-) shame.

Well done on your run Sami, see, nearly a quarter of the way there already image

Waves to everyone else
  • Options
    Julia T! You'll be back for lunch image
  • Options

Morning all

Well wimped out of a run outside yesterday as it was raining i went over the gym instead and did 5 miles worth of speed work instead then in for a swim
  • Options
    Sod waiting until the 27th, I'm off for a run! image
  • Options
    Question to all: The quack advised me to buy a bike to take the pressure off knees/ankle, anyone got any advice on a decent brand? I'm not rich so keep em at a reasonable price! Thanks.
  • Options
    Oh TB you are a one! It was more Mr T's reaction to it that stopped me. He never complains about anything, all those weekends away he has to force himself to endure just so i can run. So just once i thought perhaps he was talking sense!.......I'll be thinking of you though, and with you in spirit!

Toby good run. I have just looked out of the window and seen it is raining. It's going to take some effort to get out there in a while, i need a gym with a nice treadmill.

PP how far did you get in the 17 minutes? My bike was £99 from the local bike shop but i can't remember the make. It's purple, that's all i know. Typical female comment there.

• Options
    JuliaT - haven't been yet, heading out shortly.

My mum was the same, few years ago she rang me to tell me the neighbours had a new car, when asked what it was she said red! Women!!!!
  • Options
    Question: how can you get so unfit in three weeks?

Been out, got soaked, but at least it's warm: 7.6miles in 58minutes. All things considered not too bad! image