Options

VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Options
    Is the frame too big for him? Is the seat to high or too far back? Did the shop fit him to the bike? Sounds like the position is out?
  • Options
    Hashette wrote (see)

Hmmm.....  Mark he was wearing proper cycling shorts, so maybe it's the position

Rod how much do you reckon for Blouse, and shall I auction him or do a buy-it-now?

Buy it now with a free bike thrown in image

Seriously though I hope you sort, you need some degree of comfort when cycling in my limited expeience.

When I first got my bike I did find the saddle quite hard, I got used to it after a while but I don't use it that much..

Feeling how hot it is today I'm amazed I ran yesterday image

• Options

Lol Rod

Mark I think it's all okay position-wise.  We bought it from a proper tri-shop and had a fitting which took about 45 minutes with all his various bits being measured using a variety of strange implimentsimage

I honestly think it's just that he has a very bony bum, but am not sure what to do about it.  I wondered if nicking the old cushioned saddle off his mountain bike might be an idea, but if there's a better solution involving more padding than traditional cycle shorts, that would be good

Right, we're off to thrash the daylights out of the rest of our day off.  Will try Pat and Mick's rather splendid anesthetic from the Pig and Abbot on the way home, that should do the trick!

• Options

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee imageimageimageimageimage Why are there no bouncy smileys when you need one?????

Did my first run since VLM today and it felt great. Was planning a slow 5k run but three "though" guys ruined it for me trying to show off and raced past me obviously had to take the challenge and ran the s*#t out of them image lol they certainly didn't expect that...feel very evil and competative not healthy to rest for a month image Thanks to them I ended up doing 5k in 23 minutes not exactly the slow plodding run I had planned. Both knee and ankle felt brilliant image Only downside to the run was the Plantain trees, I hate getting those yellow fluffy bits in the eyes image

And who brought up IKEA??? Whoever it was you are v. naughty, now I have to go there and that is very bad for my wallet....will go mental in the food shop...probably good they stopped selling alcohol, O.P Anderson is v. dangerous (stuff Jamie Oliver had in the Crayfish party in Jamie does Stockholm).

• Options
    5 miles in 43 minis this morning. Hot and weary not sure why.....too much cycling and not enough running I think. Trying to go too quick perhaps.
  • Options
    good running Mark I only do running so I have no excuse when I am tired apart from maybe I overtrained!
  • Options

Got to run home tonight as no lift available, double day training am I an athlete now???

My cycling buddy has quit for the big bike ride I was planning, so now I am doing it solo.............anyone fancy a nice ride from the South Coast to Gretna in July................... I see there is a group of 500 doing the LEJOG in June at the cost of £1000 each to have their luggage and tent set up each night with James Cracknell. All for charity of course.  They are doing it in 9 days. 

Cant stop myself looking at that bike HASH.............put it away please.image

• Options

Why has he quit Mark? We are not quitters here.image

I was thinking of not going to the club tonight, got the Corby 5 tomorrow and the first club summer league race Thursday , then got to thinking I may as well go, I'm only going to do a steady 3 miles with a member coming back from injury so really it's neither here nor there. After Sundays effort it will be a breeze.......

And the club race is just a 5K so that hopefully some of the Womens Running Group will do (they have been training at the club on Tuesdays and some are new to running)

That Bike would appear to have your name on Mark. image

• Options
    Sorry not been on here much but work still a complete mare!!! Did a little 5 mile plod after work yesterday and tonight doing a speed session at 6pm with VLM friend so that should kick some of the **** out!!!

Off to Paris on Saturday morning for three and a half days so will be good to get away from everything but not sure the weather is going to be that great - I need to find a forecast that I like, lol!!!

Hash have you sorted blouse and the bike saddle yet?

Rod how are you after your weekends leg in the race?

Zaba that is fab running!!
  • Options
    Pinks I am ok thanks doing more days running this week (see above post) but less miles my recovery time has been good since VLM , pleased about that I must say.
  • Options

Zaba - Ikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa image

I didn't realise they'd stopped doing alcohol, we got a variety packs of flavoured spirits at Christmas in MK.  I do actually need to go back minus the monster in law as we need some nice but cheap pictures for a room at work.

• Options

Hi all well was supposed to be a 3 mile tonight but did 4 and a half miles with a couple of club members who are off to South Africa to compete in "Comrades" a mere 56 miles, so it was an interesting session as they walked up the hils, I liked that image

This may be fatal to say this but I feel absolutely great, my legs feel good I feel fresh and not one niggle image

Lets hope it  lasts I am ready for Corby now!

• Options
    Pinkerbelle wrote (see)
    Zaba that is fab running!!

Thanks, no idea where it came from,must have been adrenaline from stress of not running and anger at the guys stupid talk just because I ran slow.

How did your speed session go?

Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)

Zaba - Ikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa image

I didn't realise they'd stopped doing alcohol, we got a variety packs of flavoured spirits at Christmas in MK.  I do actually need to go back minus the monster in law as we need some nice but cheap pictures for a room at work.

Oh pure evil you are....right Ikea scheduled in for tomorrow. image

Well not 100% sure about the alcohol thingy,  my local Ikea forgot to renew their licence once, then they lost it for a while and got it back again. Last time I was there they had alcohol but 3 weeks ago the UK reseller of Akvavit (Swedish snapps) said that Ikea isn't selling alcohol anymore as they wanted to raise their profile. Will check and ask questions tomorrow.

Mark Street 2 wrote (see)
    My cycling buddy has quit for the big bike ride I was planning, so now I am doing it solo.............anyone fancy a nice ride from the South Coast to Gretna in July...................

WIsh I could join you sounds fab, but am of for India so good luck.

As for the running am forced to take another break as my cold resurfaced again...soooo annoying. I usually never ever ever get sick, but everytime I have tried to train for something I get sick or injured image Maybe someone is trying to tell me something.

• Options

Morning all

Wahoo, fantastic Zaba, really pleased for youimage.  It's great what that little inner voice says "no you don't, mate" and that competitive something kicks in to give your feet wings.  

Good luck in Corby tonight Rod, hope it's a good un.  Should be nice running conditions, going to rain this afternoon but drying up later, so hopefully just fresh and cool for you

Pinks sorry to hear your work is still such a 'mare.  Here's to Paris, and the weekend coming soon.  I went back to mine yesterday, and all I can say is that if this is the backwash from a roaring success then God help me if it had been a flop......

South Coast to Gretna?image  Blimey Mark, that's amazing.  When are you doing it and over how long?   Sorry, that question is probably right up there with "is the Race for Life as far as the London Marathon", I'm a total numpty at this bike thing.  If it goes anywhere near me and a bit of support and cheering's needed, possibly with a bagel or several, let me know

Hmmmm...... looks like I'm not alone.   HTFU would seem to be the answer, maybe with a different shaped saddle.  Got the last physio session tonight, so a little run beforehand, but I think Harley can take me to work and back tomorrow.  A mate at work who's also a cyclist lives out my way, so hopefully I'll pick up a few tips

Hmmmm......also a cyclist.   Ooooh, get meimage

• Options
    Hmm. Got the day off today to do 20 miles and have just realised that as I'm not at work I could get over to Corby tonight.  Would that be mad?
  • Options

Yes.  Totally.

Have fun in Corby then Bridget.....imageimage

• Options

Sorry Hash not been on in a couple of days.  If the bike is set up ok then it is a bit of HTFU and maybe look at another saddle.  It is a bit trial and error with those things.  My favourite saddle is

http://www.highonbikes.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/e/x/extra_blk1.jpg

this one.  I have done 100 mile rides on it (and I think the first ride I did was 80) with no problems at all.  But it is very much horses for courses and can be an expensive process.
  • Options
    Morning allI see summer has ended  image   I amriding on the motorbike over to Corby and rain is forecast! Still I suppose if it does rain I will get wet image
  • Options

Interesting saddle RIo..........

Summer is over in Derbyshire, flipping freezing on my bike this morning. Met my boss on the way in who cycles occasionally as he is usually on an airplane  somewhere over Europe. He may be interested in doing some of my big bike ride with me.......could be interesting he is an engineer and can fix anything so may be helpful. We will see as work takes him everywhere regularly.

Good news on the fitness Rod. Zaba you might need to take a vitamin supplement to keep the colds at bay if you are training. I did before the VLM and never had a cold even though my OH and kids did. Dont usually take them but if you want to push yourself its easy to get run down and pick up things.

Ran home last night 3 miles after doing 5 miles in the morning to work and struggled with a severe case of wobbles the legs were packing up as I pulled up at home.  Dont think I had eaten enough during the day, so easy to forget to do the diet thing properly, fell in and my great OH had tea on the table which I devoured which brought me round, will have to tuck in today I think. Coffee and bacon butty anyone??  Promised to go swimming with daughter No2 tonight to continue the crawl lessons. eeeekkk

• Options

Good on you Mark.   Swimming is the hardest discipline to master I am sure!!!  It is so technical!

Could it have also been dehydration too on your run home?  Not a good combination.

I ran 4 miles yesterday morning and thought I was having a bad run.  I had set the garmin to start before the satellite picked up.  Realised after about a minute so waited til it caught up with itself and then set off again.   So the warm up mile was a bit naff but taking off the minute and a bit was ok.  Kept checking the pace and thinking it was slow so kept trying to pick it up a bit although it felt quicker than it said (which was 10:30 pace).  Decided that as I was being so slow I would do the extra mile to make it 4.  Trying to pick up the pace all the time.   Got home in 40 minutes!!!???  Looked at stats and realised I had the garmin on average pace so I was playing catch up all the way for the lost first minute. 
    mile 2      9:34
    mile 3      9:16
    mile 4      9:45

Still had a good tempo run instead of the easy run I had planned and actually enjoyed pushing it a bit for a change

• Options
    Is that saddle comfy there looks to be nothing of it???
  • Options

I find it really comfy!!!   There is nothing to rub delicate bits and actually quite a bit more padding where you need it than it looks.  They do another slightly cheaper and more padded version called the trek too (as well as the top end carbon models

I had treid about 6 or 7 saddles while training and found this was the only one that actually let me train on consecutive days without being too uncomfortable (and I was able to sit on hard chairs too image)

Less is often more on the padding front too - those padded cycling shorts really aren't the best thing for long distance stuff

• Options
    I always wear the padded shorts over my Ron Hills on long rides and did the coast to coast with these on and no problems. Guess it depends on how much padding you have naturally, without wishing to be crude!!!image
  • Options
    And what you get used to as well.   Can't wear much padding for tri because it would get too wet in the swim and be like wearing a nappy in the run. image.   My sit bones are quite close to the surface and I have the same problem when I ride my horses (but perhaps that has given me some protection).   A good barrier cream helps a bit too
  • Options

Cant beat Sudocream...........forgetting the tri thing I was just thinking of cycling sorry Rio. You are in a different league you PIrates.

What the heck do you wear for tri? Shorts under a wet suit. Do you wear socks for the cycling and run?

• Options
    Yes you wear whatever you are going to wear underneath your wetsuit - an all in one trisuit for me for distances up to HIM.  Then trishorts and top for the long stuff.   And yes I wear socks in HIM or over but not for the shorter ones
  • Options
    permission to scream.......................AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, feel better for that - walked out of work before I could throw a complete wobbly and off for a run with fizz friend now to let off a bit of steam. Hope my legs will allow me some relief!!
  • Options

((( Pinks )))

Despite a little bit of egging on I have decided to put my sensible head on and  my feet up tonight image

20.79 miles done this morning at an extremely slow pace but then South Downs is not going to be a fast one any way.  I'd planned to do the route on Sunday and it was out and back to Brackley with 4 pubs and 2 village shops en route plus Tesco and Costa in brackley itself.  No risk of the Camelbak not being enough.  Obviously today was cooler so no fluid issues but I did have a latte and a granola bar at 10.4 miles image

• Options
    Hashette wrote (see)

Wahoo, fantastic Zaba, really pleased for youimage.  It's great what that little inner voice says "no you don't, mate" and that competitive something kicks in to give your feet wings.  

LOL I can cope with people running past but not talking shit about me, Ipod doesn't = not hearing. Have realised I am very stubborn and competitive.

Mark Street 2 wrote (see)

Zaba you might need to take a vitamin supplement to keep the colds at bay if you are training. I did before the VLM and never had a cold even though my OH and kids did. Dont usually take them but if you want to push yourself its easy to get run down and pick up things.

Been to Holland & Barretts and stocked up seriously now, don't think immun system is low think it is none existent at the moment. Iron, Zinc, multi vit and Echinacea drops and plenty of fresh food in all the rainbows colours...HA take that you nasty cold image

Pinkerbelle wrote (see)
    permission to scream.......................AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, feel better for that - walked out of work before I could throw a complete wobbly and off for a run with fizz friend now to let off a bit of steam. Hope my legs will allow me some relief!!
    Screaming is totally allowed, hope the screaming and the run helped.
  • Options
    Thanks all.........4.75m run plus setting the world to rights with fizz friend helped enormously. Oh I love running!! image

Hope everyone ok - catch up better next week I hope!!