Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    That's a long time Ale - I hadn't realised it was that long. I suppose the upshot is that if the doctors think it's viral, at least it's just a question of R and R... I know that doesn't make it any easier. What did the oncologist have to say?

AD - sounds promising.

From what I gather, the 10% rule doesn't apply so much to building back. For example, if you find yourself feeling dramatically better in two weeks, I think you could probably add more than 10% to your weekly mileage without too much trouble. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be cautious - you've had quite an extended period of interruption.

We made the offer - it's just sitting tight now. We went in at asking price, but were also the first to see it. So who knows!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Hope all goes to plan with the purchase, Muss

I think the 10% rule is there as a guide, but isn't an absolute rule, for example if one takes care to lower the pace. Definitely be cautious though! 

Oncologist was happy, so far, and am where he hoped I would be in prostate terms. He is, though, another medic puzzled by the other ongoing issues. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Good news about the prostate treatment. Are you managing to sleep/eat well, or is whatever is wrong having an impact on those things as well?

S&C yesterday evening, just squats and single leg bridges. I've dropped the weight to 10kg for squats and gone for higher reps. Lifting heavier weights really locks up my hamstrings for a day or two, and puts me in a place where I'm always playing catch up with my running recovery. Doing the lighter weights 3 or even more times a week seems to work out a lot better.

Good 9km this morning. Started out very slowly, but felt like things got rolling as I loosened up, but while keeping it very easy.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sensible with the weights, Muss. All my s &c is just bodyweight these days... although done none since Feb 4th in my hospital.room prior to the prostate treatment!

Eating too much and sleeping quite well most of the time. Tired all the time!
    Managed20+ minutes walk without my stick this morning plus some gardening. Progress!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about eating too much. Recovery requires plenty of good nutrition, and whatever you put on will soon come off when you are feeling better and can move more. Glad you got out for longer, and great that you were feeling steady enough to leave the stick at home.
  • Options
    18km today, with a little bit of everything. First half very gentle and flat, into a slight headwind, up a couple of hills and then turned around. Felt good at 14km so decided to pick up the pace for 3km, those came out at 4:29, 4:33, 4:12. So same issue as the last session with that third km - I think that's too hot a pace for me to hold over a half right now, but I didn't really feel myself picking up the effort at any point, so it's hard to know how to reign it in, as I don't think being a slave to the watch helps either!

56.6km this week. This time last week I was feeling pretty knackered, and this week I've increased intensity and volume, had more work to do, yet am feeling so much better. I understand there's a time lag on these things, so I won't get carried away, but interesting how these things ebb and flow, and how they don't always correspond directly.
  • Options
    Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Muss- that’s a very solid long run to round off a good week by the looks of it. 

Alehouse - sounds like some signs of improvement, albeit tentative. Hope you’re feeling better still today.

I finished my week with another run today - just 3 miles, average pace came out at 8.23 for easy effort, so my base aerobic fitness probably isn’t too bad but of course my legs are the problem! Will look to increase things a little further this coming week.

Followed it up my mowing the lawn for the first time this year - found that more tiring than the run!
  • Options
    Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Oh, and thanks to your comments I have called the physio and changed my appointment tomorrow to face-to-(masked) face!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Alehouse, good to hear there were no issues via the oncologist. I think virus is where most medics gravitate towards when there is no other obvious explanation for symptoms. Hopefully it'll just resolve itself suddenly.

Muss, some decent stuff there. Funny old business isn't it, when you feel so differently one week to the next.

AD, face to face is definitely the best way. Hope it goes well. I've a sports massage tomorrow evening as part of my usual taper to raceday process.

Two great runs over the weekend. I did my last 20m on Friday over a slightly extended lunchbreak, which incorporated my virtual 20. A most bizarre run in that it felt completely effortless despite going faster and faster. Ended up with 20m at 7.26mm and a recovery level HR of 138. Last 7m just kept getting quicker and last 3 were 7.05, 7.04 and 6.46.

Then Sunday was 10m at MP. I had a few beers and a curry with the rugby Saturday night so a little groggy but nothing much. Also legs were a bit tired from Friday and what was ultimately a 65m week. I was determined to run at genuine MP as it would be in first half and sit at 6.30mm. Overall run came in at 6.28mm with splits of 6.31, 6.30, 6.33, 6.29, 6.28, 6.25, 6.29, 6.23, 6.31 and 6.29. Pretty pleased with that pacing but most importantly, average hr for that 10m was 150bpm and even last 2 miles average hr was 152 and 153. Looking back at my last mara, my average overall HR was 165 and by mile 3 it was in low 160s. Will have another go on Friday with 8m at mp but will be using that as a full kit dress rehearsal.

That said, by Friday i'll know if my race is actually on or not so whilst the schedule won't change this week, I may not bother with  full kit.

• Options
    mussesseinmussessein ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    AD - good to see that you haven't lost much fitness.

When you were prescribed wall sits, it reminded me that I was supposed to build up to those as part of my groin rehab. As it healed quickly, I sort of lost motivation with the exercises, but have picked up again recently, as my adductors are still a weakness. Yesterday I got up to 5x1min but I still dread them!

DT - I have noticed a few times that I've had a really good run after a curry. Probably one of those occasions where it's important not to mix up correlation and causation. Beers never help me - in fact since pubs have been closed I've more or less stopped drinking it. Now when I do, just having one leaves me trashed, whereas half a bottle of wine doesn't effect me too much, and certainly doesn't effect the next day.

What shoes are you going for?

I'm in one of those dangerous moods where I might be about to drop a load of cash on running gear I don't really need - sunglasses, cap, a new singlet, tights and Saucony Endorphin Speeds/pros are all on the wish list! 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muss, I bought a pair of alphaflys in November for marathons so will be digging those out.

Good news last night from UKA, they have amended their road map for stages 1 and 2 from 'minimise travel' to 'travel is permitted for training and competition' so that was the last sticking point for Dorney really.

I have a nike tailwind cap which I quite like. Sunglasses I have a pair of Oakleys for sunglasses though I don't wear them too often when running, unless it is really bright. Will you need tights moving into spring/summer?

Reduced session today with a fartlek of 7 x 4 mins on with 2m easy. Then I have a sports massage tonight.

• Options
    Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    That’s good news then DT, hopefully that means the race is going ahead.

Had a productive physio session this afternoon- after examining me and performing various strength tests he seemed comfortable that the knee pain was just as a result of muscle weaknesses as opposed to something structurally wrong with the knee itself. He also didn’t think treatment was necessary and that the exercises would, given time, resolve the issue.

So my exercise regime has been extended to performing the lunges and bridges on both legs, and a new glute exercise has been added too.
  • Options
    Glad to hear it AD. What have they said about getting back to training?

We're finding ourselves in the midst of a bidding war on this flat, and the vendor is seemingly dithering (or maybe holding out for even more offers). Let's hope it doesn't come back to bite them like the eBay seller I purchased from yesterday - I offered them £30 "buy it now" for a Nike aeroswift singlet. We couldn't meet in the middle of my offers and their asking price of RRP, so I waited for the auction to close, and got it for £12.30 in the end.

Anyway, 6x1km again today, off 90s jog: 4:30, 4:22, 4:38, 4:14, 4:05, 3:59. Rep 3 was slow as I had to turn around to stop a park warden from binning my top layer. I was still half asleep at this stage, so went straight into rep 4 with no rest once I'd retrieved it. It didn't really effect the workout at all. Average HR for the workout portion was 162bpm, and I was only really hitting threshold HR on those last two reps. Felt much more manageable today, and there was a fair wind, too.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muss, I was speaking to a friend Monday who put his house on the market and it went on day 1 with an offer over asking price. I've had that before on ebay, it's most satisfying! I've got two of those singlets. I bought an updated version in January as my other one was a slightly large fit. This one is a slim fit and much better for me.

Nice reps, always a good sign with that sort of second half progression.

AD, that sounds good, definitely worth the face to face.

Session went well yesterday, covering 6.55m in the 40 mins and going through 10k in 38.10, not bad given there had been 12 mins of easy running in that. Overall average pace was 6.07mm. I did identical session on same route very end of January. Average HR was same, but average pace was 6.24.

Weighed at 10,3 today, a stone lighter than my last mara, and it's not like I was fat then!

Easy 9m later.

• Options
    Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    The conclusion on training was still to take it easy - so I will continue gradually eeking my weekly mileage up, whilst keeping everything in the easy (HR sub 155) range.

Good luck with the house, but don't get drawn into paying a price you can't afford! Good reps session too.

DT - is your race next weekend then (ie. Easter weekend)? Must be the beginning of taper madness?! In our house we've all got a sore throats (but negative LFT covid test yesterday) and suspect it is our eldest bringing home a cold from school. Hopefully you don't get similar.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

AD- Yes the race is Easter Saturday.

In fact Runbritain have today confirmed that covid safe races can take place from 29th March so we are all in. Have spoken with organiser today and they have allowed me to move from the 9am start to 11am. They have also agreed to my wife being a race marshal so that she can drive me there and back. This was otherwise not possible due to the no spectator rule and she wasn't happy with me doing a 100m drive alone post-mara.

Yes, we had that last September, with kids bringing back bugs within a week of re-opening.

9M yesterday went well, and a light 4m recovery today. LEGSAR e beginning to ease off following a pretty firm sports massage Tuesday. 8M at mp tomorrow which will be a full kit try out. After that it's 11m sunday and then a few miles here and there.

• Options
    DT - great to see that even at the peak of marathon training you're not losing any speed. Looking forward to seeing what you can do over 5k and 10k once you've recovered from the marathon! Glad you don't have to drive to or from the race.

It doesn't surprise me about your friend's house. We're actually struggling just to get in to see some places.

AD - good news. 

No danger of us overspending. We're both freelancers, and lenders are very suspicious of the self employed at the moment! Our borrowing is severely limited by the monthly repayments they deem to be affordable for us - about £400 a month less than what we currently pay in rent!

8.5km very easy this morning. Another very slow start - first km came in at 6:24. Km 7 ended up being 5:04 at average HR of 140, which I think is the fastest I've ever run at that effort level.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That spend assessment is a huge anomaly in the system, Muss. I appreciate rates will go up but you should get given affordability based on current outgoings.  

My runs always tend to start much slower than where average pace ends up. 

Full kit dress rehearsal yesterday and 8m at mp. Felt like I had to force the pace a bit first 2m , but that maybe partly due to running into wind. Once I settled I had to battle to hold pace back. So 8m at 6.29mm and 151bpm which is a good bit below mara hr. 

Easy 11 or 12 tomorrow then not much else. I'm on 229m for March. My highest ever month is 233 so that's about to go. 
  • Options
    2 hours run today - was aiming for 20km, but since I needed to be out of the house for a full 2 hours, it ended up being 21.5km at an average HR of 143. Very happy with how most of the run felt, but from 19 it was harder work and developed a bit of a stitch - I think I could have used a gel and some water. I've also found out which socks I definitely won't be using!

61.5km this week
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muss, yes you will feel tired in the latter stages running for that long. It doesn't take long though for it to feel easier. Endurance builds much quicker than pace gains.

Socks...…..they have been a source of taper madness this last few days! I had a brand new pair ready for the mara and I took them out of the packet on Friday for my full kit run and realised they were a size up. After much internal debate about what I should do on Saturday, I ordered yesterday a new pair of socks from nike. Their delivery estimate was Friday, which of course is a bank holiday. I have just had notification that they have been dispatched so I should expect to receive them by Wednesday I would have thought. Phew!!!

The weather for Saturday currently looks text book perfect, though there's a lot that can change in 5 days.

• Options
    What a difference an extra hour of daylight and a bit of sun makes. Glorious run this morning - one of those ones that starts of quite chilly and lots of cool moisture in the air. By the time I was 45 minutes in it was properly warm. 

My legs recovered pretty well from Sunday - so I went for a good long walk yesterday and today was my best post long run run for quite a while.

Hope the weather is as good for all of you. 

How are things, alehouse?

And how's the s&c/base building, AD?
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Hope that you are backing right off, DT

You seem to be going well,Muss...but don't get carried away and overdo things! A fine balance. 

Gradually making progress  here. Actually ran 1k yesterday! Legs were like jelly so will leave it a few days more I think. Have managed around 11,000 steps today just walking about rather than going for a walk, so that must count for something!

Have nets started, AD?
  • Options
    Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    No nets so far - think the club are due to announce plans soon.

I’ve been sticking with the low mileage and S&C sessions - don’t seem to be getting anywhere fast but maybe I need to be more patient.
  • Options
    Good news, alehouse!

I've learnt quite a bit about myself from last time I was injured. I'm hoping I'll be able to avoid a similar fate next time, just by taking preventative action sooner, rather than just pressing on! But for now, I'm feeling very good, both running and day to day, and I'll try to carry on with the consistency.

7x1km, 90s jog for me this morning. 4:27, 4:27, 4:22, 4:22, 4:19, 4:05, 4:04. Felt hot and muggy, and there was also quite a bit of wind as it went on, so HR was a little higher than the last couple of times I've done this session, at an average of 164 over the workout section. First outing for the aeroswift singlet - very impressed with it. 

241km this month - which is my biggest total so far. 

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Muss, you need to find a 10k soon to settle on some paces to push on. 

Yes, it's a long game, Andrew. 

Alehouse,  yes it all goes in the mix. 

I've been very low key this week. 3 x 1m at mp Tuesday off 2 min jog then 4m at recovery yesterday. Rest day today then 3m very light shake out tomorrow.  
  • Options
    DT, my race is now 3 weeks on Saturday, so I don't think I can fit in an all out 10k before then. I was thinking of trying out either a 44-45 min 10km as a controlled effort, or 2x5km at the same kind of pace if 10km feels too much. But I'm not sure whether to put that in next week before my last long run (17 days out), or the week after (10 days out).

Good 5 miles/8km recovery yesterday, average HR of 139, and just a smidge slower than 9 min miling. 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Go well tomorrow, DT! 

Not sure what to suggest, Muss, apart from the training has probably been as consistent as you have ever been! Trust it! Make sure the last week before race day is very gentle.

So far I have done two one km runs. May try slightly further later.
  • Options
    Glad you've managed to run again Alehouse. 

All the best DT. Let rip! And looking forward to the report.
  • Options
    Very good run this morning. 23.5km @ 5:20mins/km and HR of 146. I had to pick up the pace for the last 6/7km as I didn't want to face the wrath of my OH for being late for a flat viewing. HR was only just outside the easy range for the last couple of km, so I don't think I have overcooked it too badly. Another good run after a takeaway curry...
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Having seen the result I look forward to the report, DT! Your gun time made me smile!

Well done today, Muss! Perhaps another hardish week and then back off?

13 for me. Minutes, that is. Happy that I ran.