Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭
    I noticed that - the poor kid's legs will drop off half way through the session.......
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Moraghan - play nicely now please imageimage

Great stuff on MP by the way - I currently do my MP tempo session at 8 mins/mile, my predicted (never run) MP is 8:19/mil, my best (and only) MP is actually 10:23 a mile...

So I am working on aspirational pace, but keeping the volume at that pace low to recognise that it is a very tough session right now - I'd to do 5-6 miles at MP roughly. 

If I decide to run a marathon next year I would be looking for something around 8:30 pace, or put another way I will not run another marathon until the half times indicate this is possible, plus I have more endurance work in the bag. 

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Good points, Phil.  I'm beginning to get an idea of what MP is, prf, and when you add yours and M's opinion it looks like the order of the day during training is to get in a run of around 45-60 mins at MP, once per week(?) during Mara training and once per fortnight(?) at other times.  For me that should be 7-7:05 based on HM which is the kind of pace I know I can do in a HM race (because I've done it a few times) but in training it will kill me.  image

Sure glad I'm rolling up towards the hard sessions in the plan.  I can drop some of those 5*mile interval sessions at 800m pace with 30s rests that I was planning and replace it with these... imageimage

• Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

Nice one, Ratzer! image I'd love to be a spectator at that interval session!!!!

Some people split their MP sessions into 3x3Miles, say, or 2x5Miles to build up to continuously running MP for longer distances but, yes, the use of MP runs as you describe will knock you into shape! (or kill you - but we wont dwell on that option! image)

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    2010 / 2011 season I plan on doing the MP runs on a weekly basis for the majority of the base period - although as time progresses some will be progressive and some of them alternating with HM or tempo pace. Towards the end of base I will just do them fortnightly but as a more aggressive progressive effort - MP thru to 10 mile pace with about 0.5m at the end at 10k / 5k pace.

In hindsight I stopped doing them too early this year and my fitness has suffered slightly. I think I've caught the error before it's too late though.
  • Options

Afternoon all. Lots to catch up on regarding MP it seems.

I did my first "hard" session in an age today - I'm now trying to ease my way back into the hard stuff now to start 10k/HM training proper. 

After a 2 mile warm up (including stretches/strides etc), I did 4 * 1 mile @ tempo effort (which came out at a tad under 6:55/mile pace, which is what I was hoping to come in around). 

Nothing special there at all. However, looking at the figures once I'd gotten them off of the Garmin showed my heart rate to be much, much lower than I've seen it before at those paces - I averaged just 78% MHR and only had a max of 83%!

Just 4 months ago that pace & session would have given me an AVERAGE heart rate of 85%...

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

You fool, Moraghan!!  You crazy idiot!  What stupid son of a B told you to do that!!??  Didn't you realise how much it would impact your performance.  Are you going to be serious about this or what!!??  From now on get your MP training into your schedule properly or I'll really start insulting your training, and your mother's training!

imageimageimage

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Sorry, just couldn't miss the opportunity!

Congrats, Duck, it's so good to see improvement.  Especially after those sticky hot days!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Nice one Duck.image 

Out of interest, what made you choose 4 * 1 mile @ 6:55 m/m? After Monday's marathon and the operation week after, I plan to start my 10K training proper too. So I'm interested in learning more about "quality" sessions.

• Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

LOL Ratzer! image

Nice to see your training paying off, TD!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    imageRatzer ... dicing with death there! image
  • Options
     Dr.Dan wrote (see)

Nice one Duck.image 

Out of interest, what made you choose 4 * 1 mile @ 6:55 m/m? After Monday's marathon and the operation week after, I plan to start my 10K training proper too. So I'm interested in learning more about "quality" sessions.

it's just me trying to ease back into the harder sessions. I'm planning a progression of tempo sessions starting off with mile intervals and working up to 5 mile continuous by the time I peak. So today was more of a "remember this session?" kind of workout.

My progression's something along the lines of:

4 * 1

2 * 2

3 * 1.5

3 * 2

2 * 3

So you can see, I'm building up from shorter stuff in the beginning to start the LT development, up to ensuring my stamina's sufficient for the 10k.

Edit: I should include these all include 1 min/rest for each mile. So 1 mile is 1 minute, 1.5 miles is 90 seconds, etc etc.

• Options
    I also based the pace (although it was effort, I was aiming for around that pace) on the 10k time I did on Sunday. I should have perhaps done it slightly slower, but I felt pretty good during it.
  • Options
    Well done, Duck. Great to see your base training is already paying off.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Wow some good trainnig for effort levels there Duck - really impressive stuff!

Ratzer are you MAD?

I went to the track in the end despite feeling a bit meh the last few days - I was about 15 seconds a mile off my usual tempo pace but I did add another mile so its all good - 5 miles in the bank anyway image

• Options

Moraghan - The type of progressive sessions you describe are often set for me too, both for the longer efforts and for the 'interval/rep' type training. A typical upper aerobic effort might be 10 minutes easy, 10 steady, 10 MP effort, 10 HMP, 10 threshold, 10 easy (longer sections if marathon training or indeed shorter if just returning to speed work)

An interval session might comprise of 5 x (3 mins HMP, 3 mins threshold) off jogged recoveries. Only one combination, there are tons but you get the drift.

The reasoning is much of what has been discussed today in terms of training effects plus it teaches good pace/effort judgement and discipline to keep to the specified effort.

I sometimes get just a simple mile rep session too which is easy on the Garmin programming at least!

Always time and effort, sorry PRFimage

• Options

I've always liked progressive runs and also pyramid sessions - the pace seems so much easier in relative terms on the other side of the peak!

Distance and pace for myself.

I've only programmed my Garmin once and got really confused.
    Will have to work it all out properly image

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Morning

It's been a bit difficult keeping up this week with all the discussions, work a bit busy, but looking forward to a week off after today - yay!

I'm doing 10k on Saturday night.  Not sure how I'll get on.  The last one I did was in March and I didn't do too good and I'm not sure if this one will be any better even though I'm hoping it will as I've done several good speed sessions.

We have a long drive of 6-8 hours depending on Friday afternoon, Bank Holiday traffic, which we'll share with lots of stops.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Garmin - I've had mine about 3 years and have never programmed it, haven't got a clue how to, never looked how to do it.  Only ever use it to keep a check on distance done and occasionally on the pace.  Once routes are measured I'm happy to run watch free unless doing a session.
  • Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

Hilly - Good luck tomorrow. If you've had some good speed sessions and you dont get what you'd consider a good result tomorrow it may well be that the speedwork just hasnt managed to feed through yet and may be worth finding another 10K to back it up in the next couple of weeks?

Is your new coach advising on your racing schedule? (presumably he has a plan to target your speedwork on a particular race at some point?)

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    PRF - my racing schedule has been discussed,yes and my main A races taken into consideration so that I peak around those.  This race is a late one I added, so not expecting too much from it as I'm not tapering for it, it's just part of a training week.  I just want to do better than I did in Salford.  I've sort of got it into my head I should break 40 mins every 10k I do as I've done so for a few years, unless hilly or off road, until this year and so I would like to do so again to give me my confidence back over that distance.
  • Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭
    Fair enough - so if you could get sub 40 while training through it would be a real confidence boost, if not sub 40 theres nothing lost really ie plenty reasons to justify it!
  • Options
    Good luck, Hilly.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the 10k Hilly! I hope you race well image
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Good luck Hilly.

Kit is all packed up! Off over the Pennines in the morning for a few days in Liverpool, North Wales and ...err ... where was it again ... oh yeah ... CHESTER!  image Will be off-line but will report back on the whole gruelling 26.2 miles next week. Excited but nervous as hell (I'm usually very calm!).image

• Options

Good luck, Dr Dan!!

I was going to be joining you, but thought better of it after Edinburgh on Sunday.
    Really interested in hearing your opinions of the course though for future reference.

Hope you have a great day and the weather is kind.

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Dr Dan!  I'll be in the area all long weekend but unfortunately for my training it's for my son's football.  I have had a word with one of the coaches and it looks like I might be able to use the facilities tomorrow at Man City's academy whilst the lads are out on the pitches being trained.  I've got my fingers crossed there's some fitness team there bursting to test my VO2variousthings, my Lactate Threshold, punch me full of biopsy holes, give me a run in the oxygen tent...  Knowing my luck I'll be sent packing with a bottle of lucozade, at restaurant prices.
  • Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Dan.... it looks like the weather may be trying to help you, lets hope the legs are of the same mindset!
  • Options

Dr Dan hope all goes well.

Hilly hope you get a positive result.

Somehow managed to get out of bed for a parkrun this morning. Been a busy last few days and bed did seem very tempting.