Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Just got back without getting rained on! 6 miles done, back to back 20 mile weeks.

well done Dan by the way, forgot to say so yesterday.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    10 miles at mp didn't happen. Got to 2 and was struggling. Legs felt shattered, running into a head wind and was dealing with acstomach full of tea. I saw no point in torturing myself further so ended it and did 4 miles at 8.50 mm. Gives me about 43 for week so still reasonable. Will try again midweek. 
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Sensible decision DT.

Spent my long run yesterday considering race plans for the 10k. I'm hoping to go 45.45 as a 'stretch' target, but with something between 46.00 and 46.30 as a realistic target. For once I am planning to stick to a sensible pacing strategy rather then going off too fast, so the aim is to stick to 7.30 miles for the first 5 miles and then hopefully have something in the tank to speed up to 7.00s for mile 6 and then whatever I can muster for the final 0.21! Will be interesting to see if I actually have the discipline for this on the day!

WP - how did your race go?

• Options
    It went to plan we had torrential rain and I had already decided after a heavy week (56 miles)what i thought was doable 2.05 last year I had run this race in 2.15 but got under 2 hours 1.56 at lake V last September.But not in PB shape so made my pace band and I came home in a comfortable 2.05.05 watch time this includes stopping at first mile to use toilet my bladder is nuts I stopped drinking 2 hours before the start. So i was very pleased hopefully I will do even better at the next race in 8 weeks time:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done, wp. What's up next?

Andrew, sounds like a decent plan. I tend to go out a bit harder on 10ks these days. When I first started running I used to do that and completely crash at about 7k. In the last year or so i've found that I can tolerate a faster start a lot better without losing it completely in the 2nd half. Either that has just come from developed aerobic capacity, or I am not actually going out as hard, compared to my capability, as I used to.

Just a spin session tonight. I have a sports massage tomorrow morning so will likely have that as a rest day to try and absorb the benefits better then a few other sessions mid week then a day or so of rest before Ashby.

• Options
    For me it is the great Welsh half in May other end of coastal path there is a full marathon as well.So time for about 7-8 weeks of training I need to get the long run longer than 10-12 miles.
    2@ 4 milers today which were a bit of a struggle I was stiff and achy

Andrew sounds a great plan but sadly plans I hope you can stick to it and get the time you want.When is it?

Ashby 20 for you then DT?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

DT - Sensible decision on the MP session - no point if it's not happening. Good luck with the spin session.

Andrew - sounds like you have a race plan!

WP - great execution of the pace plan!

17 miles on the treddie for me as a guinea pig, donating blood CO2 every 15 min for first 2 hours. First 14 miles at 60% VO2max and then "5K time trial" which I did at 7:15/mi. Felt strong at 60% VO2 max ... 5K was tough work but good tough work.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Didn't fancy a subLT after Monday mornings treadmill session, so today was 10.3 miles at marathon race pace ... 7:54 / mile, 135 bpm (75% max HR). Very comfortable and a couple of bpm lower than the first 10 miles of Abingdon last October.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

WP- Yes Ashby 20 sunday. Current forecast is ridiculously windy, gusting to 44 mph. I hope that changes or it's potentially my biggest session ruined.

That treadmill stuff sounds a proper bit of hard work Dr Dan, what with the blood taking and the fast finish. I think I would feel quite unwell afterwards.

I've had a few easy days and early nights, together with a sports massage and feel good again now so will get out for a reduced midweek easy run of about 7 miles to test the water and hopefully do my 8 at mp Thursday then rest back for Ashby.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

So after a few days enforced rest, the aim is to go out this evening to do my tempo run for the week (3 miles continuous at around 7.30m/m) with warm up and warm down miles.

The forecast around this way looks pretty calm for the next few days, so hoping that will assist with getting a couple of good sessions in the bag before the weekend.

Got a potentially boozy Saturday night in store, so Sunday's long run may be slower than usual!

Dan - I couldn't think of anything worse than the treadmill test sessions you are undergoing at the moment (especially with the regular blood being taken)! I hope you are either being reimbursed very well or this testing is going to solve something very important in the field of training!

WP - well done in the HM by the way (I think I glossed over your post when I read in a rush on Monday!).

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    haha ... it's not that bad. Bloods are fine - I didn't like the face mask at all at first but have adapted to that now. No payment ... wanted to get the VO2max test done, and hopefully will also get a lactate threshold test done too... and all the data.
  • Options
    Dan_ rather you than me 17 miles on treadmill! and the mask and bloods!

Andrew: Not long for race then:-) How do you feel training has gone:-)

DT: I know someone running it in prep for London.Good luck for Sunday and I hope the winds blow over!!

Today was first day I felt my legs had returned it was as if an old doddery old woman had stolen them and left hers.
    Another problem is as I am watching my weight(have another stone to go) since my race I am so empty as if I can not eat enough then 2 mornings when I have only run 4 miles after 2 miles I had to have a gel as totally spent yet I have had my usual breakfast which I can run 12 miles on.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Hi WP - I would say that training has been 'ok'. Clearly it hasn't been optimal in terms of consistent mileage over a period of months or in terms of peak weekly mileage, but within what I have done since Christmas there has been some consistency (weekly miles at 16, 17, 18, 14, 18, 4 (due to moving house getting in the way of everything), 20, 14, 20, 20 and 20 planned for this week) and I have done a good few tempo and interval sessions as well as keeping my long run up and around 6 miles for the past 8 weeks.

So long as I can hit the start line injury free (a big ask, given my history) then I'm hopeful I can hit my target of a time close to 46 minutes. If achieved, this would put me within a minute of my 10k pb, and I would look to be taking a further chunk off that at another 10k in mid May. it would also give me a target for a parkrun later in April to try and bring my 5k time down a bit closer to pb territory too.

Last night's 3 mile tempo went pretty well, possibly a handful of seconds per mile slower than target but it felt very comfortable and I could have easily carried on at that pace (c7.40m/m).

Easy 4 miles planned for later on.

Sounds like you need the taper to come quickly now WP!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Keep meaning to suggest that it is well worth reading, or re-reading, the first three or four posts of Moraghan's training for the right distance post of 6+ years ago. Some of the best advice around: 
    https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/166480/training-for-the-right-distance/P1

I really don't fancy your treadmill stuff, Dr. D! Would be nice to have the results though!

How are you going to run Ashby, DT? Lots of people will probably run the first half at below marathon pace, then the second a little quicker, rather than race it full on. May take too long to recover from if raced.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, plan is to run it consistently at 10-15 seconds per mile below MP. If I was racing it will be 10 seconds faster per mile. Though London is 5 weeks away so in theory you could recover. I have a rest week next week now which will be good in terms of recovery.

7.5 at mp over lunch. Supposed to be 8 but time was against me and I had a busy afternoon. Given how things have been this last week or so I went out a bit slower so came in 6.59 average. Cardio wise it felt good but my legs, partly from a pretty hard massage Tuesday, felt heavy and tired. 

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    alehouse said:
    Keep meaning to suggest that it is well worth reading, or re-reading, the first three or four posts of Moraghan's training for the right distance post of 6+ years ago. Some of the best advice around: 
    https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/166480/training-for-the-right-distance/P1

Agree ... I have often given folk that link.

I have booked in a lactate threshold test as my "reward" for doing the treddie tests. I'll have the results before London, so may help to inform MP.

DT - nice MP run.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes that is a lovely read for anyone, whether a new runner or an experienced fast person.

Had a bit more physio this morning. Woke up however not feeling like I needed any, which was a first in a few weeks. Probably Tuesdays sports massage bedding in. I went anyway as was too late to cancel and had some good treatment. Rest day today now followed by a light bike session in the morning and plenty of rest and stretch.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Yes, I have read that thread in the past but have just re-read the first few posts and am pleased to see that my current training ticks the boxes on 6 of the 7 bullet points in the first post (only one it doesn't is that I only do 1 mile warm up for quality sessions rather than 2 miles), and it also pretty closely fits his 20 mile a week 5k training example.

Although I am doing a couple of 10ks in the near future, my main focus for this year is 5k, which again fits in well with the suggestions given.

I've always wondered though (from that thread and also the title of the Stevie G thread) - who is Moraghan, why do his training posts date from so long ago without any recent stuff (apologies if it is because something terrible befell him!) and how do you pronounce his name (Mo - ro- han, Mo - ro - gan or Morgan?)?

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Moraghan - a top masters tennis player who got injured in about 2009 and returned to running and a bit of coaching. I recall he was runnign 800m in about 2 min. He used to be a prolific poster on these forums (Middle Ground included) but I think he got injured and then returned to tennis. I was going to say that he used to blog ... but in fact I see he still does.
    https://www.blogger.com/profile/02612514971193444865

• Options
    That is interesting Dan I wondered who he was as  he had great advice to give.

DT: Hope all is going well for Ashby

I have been ill since Thursday so missed 2 whole days but happy to report on the mend and managed 4 miles this morning:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes it is interesting that he knew so much if running wasn't his main game. Odd though to be a prolific poster and then nothing.

Glad to hear you are feeling better, WP.

Tough 20 today but it's given me a bit of confidence. 2.21.59 chip time with average pace of 7.05. It was a tough course to pace as so much up and down and wind assistance and resistance. My mates garmin had over 1000 feet of elevation. 50 foot a mile is hard going over 10k, let alone 20 miles. The worst climb of the lot goes from 18.2 miles straight through to about 19.6 ish, just what you don't need. 

Basically 30 seconds faster than Gloucs 20 last March for same hr but on a much harder course and conditions. 

Only point of concern is both feet were on verge of blistering on balls of toes. Another few miles and they would have. Anyone any tips or products that use to counter this?
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done, DT! Not the easiest of days so things looking good compared to last year. If I were you I would have a very easy week and then look at how you feel, including the feet! Most, if not all, of your training is now in the bank. The important thing now is not to over do things and to remain healthy. And to look at your socks!

Mon/Tues/Weds were 15/10/11.5k off road and reasonably quick. Got carried away with the better weather and legs have struggled ever since. Not ready for that sort of schedule yet, obviously...or am getting to old to recover. Or both!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, feet feel much better already. Same happened last year, months of training and no issue then suddenly last month all sorts of blister issues. I'm wearing different trainers and sick styles this year as well. 

I have 2 chances left to run 20s, being Thursday and next Tuesday. I had planned to take both. Do you advise I only do next Tuesday? 

Yes the spring sunshine does encourage some faster efforts. 

I feel much better tonight than after any other 20 I've done this year, oddly!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    DT: regarding the two possible 20s, only you know how your legs feel or recover! Better to be 5% undertrained than 5% over, people have said on here in the past.

Today's long run is currently delayed: torrential rain. Fortunately I don't work Mondays, so can wait until this pm. 
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Well done DT - good work in less than ideal conditions by the sound of it. As Alehouse recommends, perhaps now is the time to consolidate what you have rather than continue to push it?

So I got my 20 miles in for last week, a few intervals on Friday and then 6.5 miles yesterday (longest single run since 24 August!). So that is three consecutive weeks of 20 miles, so having a cutback week this week of 15.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good work, Andrew. Just need to maintain that and try and add a little as time goes by.

Weather doesn't look great today.

My quads and shoulders (?) are sore today which isn't a surprise. My physio pretty much said last week that I could probably just cruise to London now without risking any big sessions. This week will be an easy running week, the only question mark is whether I run 20 on Thursday, or something thereabouts. I'm not sure how much more it will add to the mix having already done 6 and plan 1 more next week.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Well done DT - that was a good run. I still have a 17 (dreaded treddie sesh) and a 20+ to squeeze in before taper.

Good consistency Andrew - keep it up.

Alehouse - the rain delay may help the old bones to recover from last week.

41:48 for me at the Bradford 10K. I was hoping for something closer to 41:00 but it seemed unlikely once I woke up and heard the wind outside. 85th/1700 and 7th M50 (although 3 M60s also beat me). Was hoping to bank some of this fitness but the Gods were against me ... I now have entered the Vale of York 10 mile which is 2 weeks before London.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    17 on a treadmill?! Rather you than me! Good work in the 10k in poor conditions.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Bradford sounds tough, DanNot the ideal weather by far. Talking of which, I delayed taking the old bones out until it had stopped raining. 20 minutes later I was soaked. Kept going though as I had to get to Stockport station to collect my train tickets to get me to the Last Friday of the Month race in Hyde Park. 95 minutes of running later and I was home, just as the son came out. Longest run for a number of years. And the last run of any significant distance before the 31st. Perhaps one quicker session and the rest will be relatively short and easy. In theory.