Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

10 mile race, 2 weeks out Dr Dan.... Are you sure that's not too far?

I've a 10k Sunday as previously stated. Suddenly starting to look rather warm now the forecast is no cloud cover. Reasonably still conditions however.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Hopefully OK ... 2 weeks is a long time to recover, especially as I'm off work next week so will not be cycling. Not planning anything else intense, other than parkrun 8 days before VLM.

Yep, temperature could be an issue but the race starts at 9:30, so hopefully it'll be done before things get too hot. Is your 10K early?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes I suppose 14 days is a long time. I am more fearful if pulling an injury now. My 10k is 10am start so i'll probably be finished about the same time as you.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Yes, looking very warm for Sunday. Glad I'm not racing ;-)

Enjoying some easy running this week - two 5 milers so far at a very comfortable 9m/m pace
  • Options
    Morning,

Seems ages since I was here and so much going on I have read back:-)

I have a foot problem which I thought maybe gout so bloods done yesterday back to GP Monday and go from there so training been hampered by it takes 4 miles for pain to ease.Yesterday was first run it felt easier and been 7 days since I first had a problem.

Good luck all parkrunners tomorrow and racers on Sunday
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Dan.. I assume it's the VOY 10 miler?  I will be out supporting on the course so will dole out encouragement & abuse as required  :)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see you, Wardi! And good luck all racers and parkrunners this weekend. Note to Wardi: Sam Smith's has gone up to by 10p to £2 in one of my locals. If this carries on it could severely affect my intake. Or I re-mortgage. It does compare favourably though with last Friday's £5 a pint after LFoM! And the next cheapest locally is £2.55.

Running-wise it has been a much needed easy week (not that it has felt easy). Today was day 979 of the present streak. Which reminds me, I had a good chat with Dr. Hill last week. He feels much better for having had a stent put in in his heart area and is building back up with walking. He says it shouldn't be long before he puts a few more entries into the running log.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Wardi - I look forward to some abuse then! :-)
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Morning all, hope the various racers go well (and don't overheat!). 

Just got back from 7 miles in 1:05:10, so a nice steady pace. Longest run for a long time and makes 21 for the week. Eeking the weekly miles up slowly!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff, Andrew. You'll get a better 10k if you can nudge that up a couple more miles. Fairly laklustre performance today. Could tell in first half a mile I was nowhere near as with it as last Sunday. By 2k I was drowning and wondered how I'd even finish. i spent whole race from 800m sat in 6th place and completely alone in the sunshine. Somehow managed to hold it together to just creep under 40 for 39.52. Very disappointing not to at least beat last year's time, especially after last weekend.
  • Options
    My 10 miles Vale Of York run today practicing marathon race pace went tits up -calf strain after 1 mile forced me to pull out! 2 weeks before London too...that looks unlikely now :-(
    Saw Dr Dan and looked in good form.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    sslhp, I'd be hesitant in writing it off so soon. You could probably get three rounds of physio in and a lot of home treatment. All the big runs are done so you can get away with some minor x training. 
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Yep DT, my plan is to eek mileage up to mid 20s over the next few weeks. Well done/bad luck with the 10k (depending on how you are viewing it!). Sounds like a very decent effort to me though, nicely sub40.

Usual couple of days off here to start the week, then my two sessions this week are going to be a little 2k time trial on Wednesday (I do these occasionally to see where I am at, knowing that it is short enough not to really compromise any other effort sessions in the week) and then parkrun on Saturday. No long run planned this week though as a compromise for two 'race' efforts.

Aiming for 8:20 in the 2k, and 21:50 in the parkrun.

Then a 4 week cycle of 10k training before a 10k race on 21 May.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Good progress Andrew!

DT - maybe a race too far? Sounds like you need to back off now and let all that training bed in ... you've done the work and know that you're in good shape.

Vale of York 10 was fun ... good to see Wardi and SSLHP there.

SSLHP - I was confused to see you clapping folk in at 9.5 miles... now it makes sense. Rest up - plenty of time to recover.

I was happy with last year's 69:32 after starting from scratch in Jan ... but was sure I could do better than that given that I've been running ever since. And sure enough, despite feeling rubbish in warm up, I kept a consistent pace up through-out and ended up with 68:35. We were diverted off the road into a field for 400m at about 8 miles, as there was a runner down and ambulance/air ambulance in attendance, which certainly cost a bit of time although obviously no one was complaining (I believe the runner is OK). That's my 2nd best 10 mile time ... despite being fitter, my 67:45 PB (6 years ago) still seems a way off (it was so much easier when I was 44!).

1, 6:48, ???

2, 6:39, 151/155 bpm (average/max)

3, 6:48, 152/155

4, 6:52, 150/155

5, 6:56, 153/157

6, 6:54, 151/155

7, 7:00, 151/155

8, 6:59, 152/155

9, 6:55, 153/156

10, 6:44, 153/159

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Dr Dan, well done on the 10 miler. That's only 5 seconds per mile off pb pace so not a huge amount.

I feel like perhaps I had my good race at the 5 miler and should have left it at that. That set, I am planning a parkrun Saturday morning as my schedule has 3 miles at fast tempo this week in any event.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Also planning park run as my last effort session.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Think I will do 8 at mp later today then have 2 days rest, parkrun Saturday then just some very light easy stuff until next Wednesday then put my feet up.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    I did a lactate threshold test and VO2max test today ... low volume but some good intensity. May do something gentle tomorrow but depends on how I feel. Parkrun Sat and slow run Sun. Next week I will do a 6x400m interval session on Wed followed by a big carb ingestion soon after... nothing after that.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Morning all.

DT/Dan - good luck with final marathon prep. Hope parkrun goes well, I'm running one this week too.

Did a 2k time trial last night. Calculators predicted a time of 8.20 off my recent 10k time and I came through in 8.17.

This gives me a target time of around 21.55 for the parkrun on Saturday.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Parkrun is in doubt. Did 5 miles last night which felt awful, struggled to maintain 9:30 pace when I usually do easy runs comfortably at 9m/m. Then woke in the night with a fever, aching all over, headache etc. Feeling a little better now after dosing up on paracetamol and ibuprofen, but a parkrun tomorrow seems a little foolhardy.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    sounds sensible, Andrew. Parkrun happens every weekend.

I made it along this morning. Felt awful warming up but then I always do. Decided to attack it properly today. First mile 5.58, then found myself on my own but was aware of a small pack not far behind. Faded a bit to circa 6.15 for next 2 miles then 5.33 pace for last part. At about 2.5 miles the group of 3 passsed me. I decided to latch on to the back and suddenly felt strong and energised. Came in 18.59 on watch and 19.00 officially. pb is 18.59 so whilst it's frustrating , I'll take that the week before a marathon!
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Nice work DT! My parkrun plans were disrupted because the police closed the park after an assault in the early hours. Made it to Temple Newsam instead but no chance of a fast time there due two two long steep climbs. 29:50 and 15th.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    29:50??

Well done DT, that pesky second will be found soon enough I'm sure.

Actually felt significantly better today, even first thing (6.50am when I got up with our daughter), but definitely couldn't have given a parkrun anything more than a pootle around so gave it a miss. Did 2 very easy miles this evening which felt OK, so hope to get out for something a bit longer tomorrow.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    29:50 Dan? 
    Decent parkrun, DT...and your parkrun PB will be smashed over the summer, I'm sure. 
    Now back off both of you!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    im assuming it's 20.50, Dr Dan? 

I'm actually quite enjoying parkrun recently so ranching a proper go at it after Mara recovery. I think there's a lot to be said for turning up and going for it every week for a month or so. 

Easy 10 miles tomorrow and a couple of other runs next week to tick over but nothing major. Weather forecast watching has began!
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    oops! 20:50 indeed! Can't quite cope with my phone keyboard/screen.

10 miles at 7:57/mi and 73% maxHR this morning... hope to do something similar next week.

That's just about it now ... will do a 4x400m sharpener on Thursday and maybe a 3.6 mile jog on Tues.
  • Options
    Dan. You look to be great shape for Sunday. I think this could be the one.

I've not done anything since last Sundays 1 mile abort with calf strain. Will try a test walk/run on Wednesday and just hope for the best! *if* I get to the start line, it's going to have to be a 'just get round' run. Still, there are worse things in the world right now, so I'm not going to moan about it.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Can't believe marathon week is firmly upon us. Forecast looks really steady which is good. Few flat miles with strides at lunchtime. Sort of doing the 6 x 400 session but at a canter. Have physio later just to make sure I'm in line.

First day today i've woken up and felt pretty loose legged.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Tonsils still inflamed and sore every time I swallow something, but I do feel generally OK in myself.

Did 4.5 easy miles on Sunday night and had a rest day yesterday. Hoping to go out this afternoon for 4 or 5 easy miles again.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the throat Andrew.

Almost there DT!