Options

The Wales Marathon

Comments

• Options

8iron - Thanks for your help, appreciate it. Sorry about the confusion, the race website clearly lists everything now, but didn't when I registered.

PP - "Sending out the chips means that a high percentage of people leave them behind causing problems on the day and often means that the athlete doent get a time" I'd disagree with that, never forgot a chip and define large percentage, over 50?  Like I say, if the race starts where you collect your chip its not really an issue, but collecting chips 13 mile from where your race starts and atleast 3 hours before the race start time sucks, admit it, go on.... you know its true.

I've given in, will drive to Tenby to collect my race pack on Saturday, I'll be the pissed off one with the one with the long face, stand clear!!! image

• Options

Donb - why are you driving 13 miles??  its 7!!  still waiting for your name so we can call you!

• Options

DonB - Sort yourself out.  you have entered a race.  its the first year and they have coaches laid on, bag collection, expo, pasta party and really just trying to get a decent event in West Wales.  We holiday there and am travelling from London to support it. We were there back in late May and I popped in to chatted to the guys and they are really pulling out the stops in their first year.  The half starts in Pembroke and you have 3 days to pick up your chip!! Start entering some bigger races and you will always have to pick up your number at a registration.To be honest suprised to see that you still have not given your name and for such an experienced runner you have made only 5 posts.....all aggressive on this forum!! Sure you have entered??

To threaten people on line and make them "stand clear" only ruins your day and at this rate you are going to get yourself DQ'd for threatening behaviour, lose your money and have a completely wasted trip!

Just relax, its Tenby!!  Awesome place!!!!

• Options

DonB- everyone is entitled to their opinion and complain but using abusive language i think is totally out of order, lets face, with your present atitude you could spoil the day for a few people.

• Options

The information for this event has been very conflicting If you go back and read all the posts noone new the start time for the marathon,  on getting in touch with the race organiser I was told a time different to what others thought and was also told it was subject to change which it has apparantely.  On a post on the last page someone was asking about race packs in the post and 8iron who I take it is an organiser said it would arrive by email then later on it says you pick it up at the expo its all conflicting and the fact that there are so many queries proves its a tad unclear.  I appreciate its new but 8iron, says they have organised other events so they are not new at it.  Im not sure the comment about try entering bigger races is useful.  Sometimes especially marathon runners fit a race in and travelling in one day I scrape the time to race in a busy schedule and do not have the luxury of enjoying the event over a few days so having to register is  another thing to think about, I have done small marathons with little need to query organisation and unless it has changed now I cant imagine registering say all the runners at the great north run on the day.  Lets hope registration runs smoothly and the event is so fab all this worry prior will be forgotten I think we must appreciate that Don B has a small child to consider and we all know how difficult it is fitting our running in with family and work                                             

• Options
    Good post Sam.
    Yes let's now draw a line under this. It's clear now what needs to be done ref the expo etc so let's move on and look forward to the race weather it be the full or the half.
    Good luck to all.
  • Options

Hi - sorry I am a bit confused.

I have entered the marathon...and travelling up from Bristol (I hope!) on the morning of the marathon. 

Do I pick up my number on the day and where from ....and does anyone know what time the marathon officially starts and where, and does it start and end at the same place ? I have read this forum quite a bit - but it seems every post contradicts itself and not much info as far as I can gather from the official website.

Oh, and I am having a shocker with the training as well !!!  image

Cheers all.

• Options
    Oh trudging feet you have reopened the gate after we just got the bolted horse back in the stable ha ha ha no Im not taking the mick out of you but there has been a bit of a conflict on the site with info, between runners, organisers, race packs chips, expo's etc and you have just confirmed the info is coming across confusingly.  As far as i know you pick up your race pack and chip and number from the expo which is open as listed on the site, for you on the morning of the marathon from the expo at tenby but I would keep checking the website till you get in the car and leave home to go!!  And with less than two weeks to go and you say your training been a shocker dont try to jam in any long long runs its to late just do everything else right, rest, eat for britain last few days, drink till you are sick of peeing and run as slow as you can get away with till about 18miles then find your feet Good luck
  • Options

guys dont worry about whats on here!!  Everyone else seems to have it sorted!!!! Emails were sent to you on friday and will be sent throughout the week with press releases!  Got a world record attempt with fastest marathon in suit of armour, only australian lady over 100 marathons, someone running 575th marathon and 100 consecutive marathon too!!

Nothing has changed, race packs will consist of info not numbers or chips etc. Registration is open friday 12-8and saturday 4pm -8pm at Trefloyne Golf Club.  free parking, great for children ( I have 4 under 10!! 10, 8, 5 and 2) Thats why we picked it!!!

You can get your numbers on the day, from Tenby rugby club between 7am and 9am if you cannot make the expo.  If you are doing the half then coaches are laid on if you have booked from 9.30.  these coaches will also bring your race bags back to the rugby club, to pick up from the finish line!! 

Wales Swim on Friday and Wales Sportive on Saturday and Long course athletes doing all 3!! 

Any probs or questions just call the office line on 01437 765777!!! 

Guys dont get pulled in to fake posts though!! Just go from official emails from the office, some making it a little difficult...

Life on the forum wave!!!!!!

• Options

I have been aiming for this marathon for months & looking forward to it despite any imperfections,

however...I have stress fracture of metatarsal in left foot, Chippenham half this weekend confirmed my fears, though it may be runnable by 26th my training has been compromised to extent it would be highly unlikely I could get time I want, so in words of the Dragons ......      ' and for those reasons.......I'm out!'

Best of luck of to you all on the day, I hope you do it Don B. & get a good time & have a laugh at those with no sense of humour or understanding. I shall continue entering both small & large events & ones where stuff is posted to you & ones where it is not.    

I'm sure it will be a great day & I can try again next year. 

• Options
    laurie - Oh no!! Will send you through new dates for 2011.  Do you sleep???
  • Options
    8iron, messaged you yesterday morning explaining why I was collecting the race packs on Saturday, I'm not a fake poster, and was directed to this forum for more information about the race from your race website, just because I don't post on here please don't take that as meaning I'm an inexperienced runner, or never entered any big races. I was running this with my wife, it was gonna be her first half marathon and thought it eould be nice to run it together and was looking forward to it. I said I'd call Francis on Monday in a previous post and that is what I did, you was out on the course at the time. Didn't realise I HAD to pass my name and number on to you to confirm I'm no fake, Francis sorted things for me... Apologies to anyone I offended, my p****d off, long face, and stand clear comment where meant in jest, sorry.

So anyway, I'm out, my wife may still run it but I'll stay home and look after my grandson which has been my concern all along (plus bring beat by someone in a suit of armour scares the s... Scares me)
  • Options
    Don B - shame to hear you are not running, you certainly didn't offend me with your long face comment....I actually had quite a chuckle at it!!  I hope your wife still runs and enjoys the race.
  • Options

Laurie,   Sorry to hear about your injury, it's gutting when you are so close to the race date. 

• Options
    Scarlets just called to say they will be sending players to the finish line to mix and chat with the crowds!!!
  • Options
    8iron - Do you know if gels are given out on the course? and with the water stops do they alternate between water and isotonic or is there a choice? I personally only drink water and would prefer water at all stations. As for the Scarletts any chance you can get Scarlett Johanson at the finish line instead I am sure it would make for a quicker race! After all who wants to see a hairy ar*ed rugby player when your knackered? I know what I'd prefer.
  • Options
    LOL!!!  Water will be on every stop and in bottles too.  Infinit will be on every other station.  Will check on Gels!!   I suggested wine on the last stop but was told off!!
  • Options
    This page started off slowly but is simmering nicely ,
    I hope my marathon goes the same way!
  • Options

Ah Scarlets boys hey 8iron? I'm from Gloucester so i'll have to mention fortress Kingsholm if i get to meet any of them! image 

Great to hear everything is coming along nicely, i can't wait for the start of what should be an awesome weekend. Happy running my friends.

Matt

• Options
    oh yes!! Not a huge amount to cheer about though!! But we keep trying!! Should be a load of fun this weekend.  Maybe the start of a huge event...
  • Options
    Can i just say 8iron i am on this forum through your site so presume its the correct one as your on it and I still have had no email with race pack advice?
  • Options
    sam - one went last friday.  dont worry new ones come out this week which will also include seperate swim, bike or run packs.  I'll drop back in here to check you have it.
  • Options
    Ok thanks will look out for it.
  • Options

8iron - my wife and i have enetered marathon bit no mail received as yet - if possible could you confirm entry all okay.
    Thanks Steve Jones (wife's name - Mandy)

• Options
    did you do it on runners world.  found the glitch!!! Runners world reg! Will check now!!!
  • Options
    yep you are both firmly in!! Look forward to seeing you. Anyone coming down on Friday before 12??
  • Options
    Thanks for checking - looking forward to race. Hope all goes well for you as organiser - i know how hard it is to do having previously been part of my club's organising committee for a race we put on. People really should try it before criticising becaues it seems no matter what or how much you do some are not happy.
  • Options
    Timex confirmed yesterday too so branding side building nicely too!!!
  • Options

Morning 8iron, yeah me & my family will be making a weekend of it. My parents have got a flat in Croft Court, so not far to walk to the start line! 

I'm travelling down on Friday morning, will pop into the golf club either Fri or Sat afternoon to collect number & chip. I've not had a race pack yet, not sure if there's any info in there i'll need that's not already covered on the site though? 

Really sorry to hear about your injury Laurie, get well soon image 

• Options
    Just over a week to go then fellow runners who's ready and who's not? What time is everyone going for? 2:35 will make happy. 8IRON will be in Kiln Park on Saturday afternoon a gooD days test Good run the a good drink afteRwards!