Options

Leicester Marathon

Comments

• Options

Toby3 - You're always going to suffer the day after a half.  You are right that the faster you book in to a physio the better.  At least then you will know what the problem is and you can work on putting it right.  At least you still have a month left to recover before Leicester.

My legs feel quite good today, although when I got home from the race yesterday I had some DIY to do so was on my feet until about 4pm.  Then I had a well earned rest with a beer and a takeaway!!!!!

No running for me until club run tomorrow evening.

• Options

Afternoon all

Just back from the physio apparently it called meralqia peraesttetica or to in terms i could understand i have a nerve entrapped in the TFL (TensorFascia Lata) also the muscle is weak in the right hip i have been given some exercises to start and told not to run this week

apparently there were about 900 runners who lost their timing chip the ties they give us are made of the same paper the number is and the thought is that all the rain caused the glue to come undone

But organizers are using the race videos to make shore everybody get there time
  • Options

Toby3 - Good news about your injury I guess.  At least you know what it is now and that you can get over it.  A week's rest after your half will do you good anyway.

Not good about the timing chips.  You would have thought that in England they would use something that is waterproof!!!!

• Options

hi Martin how s the knee hope it on the mend

the thread seems to have become our own privet chat room i don't know were every one Else has got to it is a shame

• Options

I know.  I see K/R as we run for the same club in Leicester.

My knee is fine.  My only problem now is from when I fell down the stairs on Saturday night.  I've done something to my side and back but not sure what.  I ran my 10 mile race on Sunday dosed full of painkillers and I was feeling a bit better last night.  However, this morning I was emptying the dishwasher when I felt something "pop" under my ribcage and I am now in quite a bit of pain.

I'm going to chemist at lunch to get some more painkillers as not taken any this morning and then decide whether to run tonight.  My wife thinks I may have broken a rib but not really much I can do about that!!!!

• Options

Morning all

Well i have surprised myself this week it’s now Wednesday and i have managed to stop myself going in the gym or out for a run i think its final sunk in that unless i rest i am never going to get rid of this injury

must admit it is rather annoying as it feels like all the hard work i put in since Brighton  has gone to waste but hay ho i must try to control myself if i am going to be read to train for Brighton again next year

But i am going to have to watch my weight as i now that it will pile on if i am not careful

• Options

Toby3 - Don't worry about having a week off.  It will help your legs recover from Brighton and help you get over the injury.  If you continue running you won't help yourself in the long run.   Build up slowly next week and you will not have lost any of the fitness you have built up.

6.33 mile cross country last night at a steady 7:22 pace, including a last mile blast at 6:02 pace.  Surprisingly I still had some energy in my legs after Sunday's race.  Next for me now is a short fast run on Thursday and then between 13-16 miles at the weekend.

• Options

Hi Guys, back here again! Still not sure what is up with me. Took it easy since Sunday's 10 mile race and felt better on Monday and yesterday. My wife was round her sister's house last night so I decided to test the water again with a short 4.5 miler before she went out. Managed to do it without feeling ill, so that was good. Only went round in 7.24 pace, but didn't care about the pace, just wanted to take it easy.

Just a bit worried about the Leicester half now. Over the past 2/3 weeks my weekly milage has dropped considerably, probably only coming up to 20 - 24 miles per week. So I'm going to try and build up the mileage in the next couple of weeks to about 40. Not long to go!

Good luck with the long rn at the weekend M.

Toby - keep away from the biscuit tin and take it easy!

• Options

will put a lock  on it but troubles is that food is my 1 vice as i don’t drink or smoke but as for food AHH lovely food just can’t seem to help myself

But i must be strong who am i kidding have no will power at all when it comes to food i am a weak man

K/R hope all goes well for you and that you get over your sickness

Martin good luck with the run over the weekend

• Options

K/R - Good to hear you are getting back healthy again.  It's not good when you can't run without being sick.  Be careful you don't overdo the increase in mileage as that is some jump over a few short weeks. 

Personally, I've given up on high mileage for the half.  I'm just doing the club run on Tuesdays, one long run at the weekend (13-15 miles) and then two short fast sessions.  I was going to throw in a longer run on Thursdays but with my knee problems and now the issue with my ribs I don't want to risk it.  I think my maximum mileage at the moment is around 26-28 miles per week.

Tooby3 - Half the week gone already.  Not long before you can start running again.  Have you noticed any improvement?

• Options

Morning all

Must admit i am getting itchy feet at the moment and its only been5 days what it’s going to be like if on Monday the phyiso tell me to lay off running again

I feel like a bit of a fraud at the moment posting on here as i am not running at the moment what with reading about all these wonderful runs going on

martin it’s difficult to tell at the moment what with not running the shin split i have is also still causing me some discomfort

• Options

Toby3 - If it's still causing you discomfort and you're not running then it's not going to feel any better running on it.  Take it easy until it eases a bit further.  You won't lose too much fitness by resting a few more days.

I managed a 5k training run last night in 19:20 (6:14 per mile pace).  My legs felt quite heavy from the weekend and Tuesday so I was pleased to keep it that quick.

I'm hoping to do tomorrow's long run along most, if not all, of the Leicester route to get used to any quirks.

Have a good weekend all.

• Options

toby - make sure you listen to the physios advice and hope that you get out running again soon.

Martin - I ran the route the other week starting and finishing from my house - 15.5 miles I think it was altogether. I always think the drag up Belgrave Road is long and boring. Hope you enjoy it though, it's good to be familiar with a course and know where any hills etc ar.

Managed a 10 miler last night and pleased to get under 70 minutes - 69.07. Wasn't intending to go fast but didn't look at my watch for the first 2 miles and felt okay with the pace so carried on. It's a pity I didn't feel like that last Sunday! Might go out toniight for a swift 5 miler then plan to do a 14 miler on Sunday.

Good luck with your running this weekend guys.

• Options
  • Options

Hi Compo - It's 10th October, a brilliant date - 10.10.10!

• Options
    O I have a race that day all ready like the nick name use to watch the programme and nearly met David Hasselhoff when I was in Ariozna back in 1997 and 1999
  • Options

Entries close today I believe, so if anyone wants to enter - you'd better do it now online!

You can enter on the day but it's £50!

• Options

Evening allHope all the training is going well fingers cross for Monday or hoping he may be able to suggest a suitable train plan to get me through the H/F

Last week of driving instructing next week so when we come up to Leicester i will be take the car i rented from Roberts back as they are based in Leicester

• Options

Morning All.

Just over 14 miles for me on Saturday at 6:44 pace.  I was pleased with that as I purposefully ran a fairly hilly course around Oadby and Wigston down through City Centre.  Instead of finishing on Victoria Park I ran the length of Welford Road and finished with a long hill up by Stage Hotel and to the MacDonalds roundabout.  Just managed a bit of a sprint over the last 200 yards.

I've got one last long run next weekend and then go on holiday for a week, meaning that when I return I only have the final weekend to run.

Good luck this week Toy3 if you manage to get out.  Don't push yourself too hard too quickly though.

How did your planned run go K/R?

• Options

Hope the physio gets you sorted for the HM Toby.

Good running there Martin, a good pace to keep up for 14 miles.

I went out and did 4.5 on Fiday night @ 6.30 pace, then did 13.1 miles on Sunday morning at a more sober pace of 7.45 minute miles. Took a gel with me but fogort to have it. Want to try and get another sub 70 minute 10 mile run in this week and also each week before the big day. Also going to try and get back into my 2000m reps again - not done these for a few weeks. 33 miles last week and would like to get to 40 this week - will see how it goes.

• Options

I'm peaking at 25 miles at the moment and can't see me increasing that by more than 3-5 miles this week.  My last 3 weeks have all been between 24.2 - 24.5 miles.

I'm doing a short run at lunch time (3-4 miles), club run tomorrow, another 4-5 miles on Thursday and then around 13-15 miles at the weekend.   However, each session is a quality one with the shorter runs at faster than h/m pace and the long weekend run 4-10 seconds a mile slower than my target time.  It is only the club run that is run at a pace not controlled by me.  However, as this is usually across fields and quite undulating it offers a totally different workout.

Where do you run your 2000m reps?

• Options
    There are 2 loops I do round the corner from my house that are pretty much 2000m. I run one of them then walk/jog to the next one (only about 200m away, but jog a bit more for recovery), run that, then walk/jog back to the first one and run it in reverse etc. I do two each way then redo my slowest one again for the 5th one, trying to beat the first time. It's like a big figure of 8 where the recovery bit is on the middle. They've both got a bit of ascent & descent and I find this better than just running round a track (can be very boring going round & round!). With the 1 mile warm up & warm down it's a tough but good session and you get to run 10k in total at a pace faster (in theory) than 10k race pace. It's a good half marathon session and one that I'm going to try and incorporate into my marathon training for Brighton next April.
  • Options

Sounds tough.Reps are something I've not managed to incorporate into my training for Leicester , mainly due to injuries limiting me to 3/4 runs a week.  There is an oval in Abbey Park that I have used before that is 0.8 miles round.  I used that every couple of weeks when training for London in 2009.  Once round as fast as possible and then 1 minute slow recovery.  I used to do this 5 times in the middle of 3 miles steady to get there and 3 miles steady to get home.  10 miles in total.

In a freakish way I used to enjoy them but moving to Wigston has meant that Abbey Park is much further away now so not so easy to do.

• Options

4.5 miles for me at lunchtime.  0.75 warm-up 0.75 cool-down and 3.1miles at 6:25 pace.

I ran up and down New Walk and then around Victoria Park 3 times.  The top end of New Walk is certainly a good incline, especially after 12.5 miles!!!!!

• Options

Afternoon all

Still no running this week went to the physio yesterday and he has advised me to lay of running until the shine split i have eases of so no running this week has given me a couple more exercises and to use a tennis ball to massage the muscles in the back of the legs

Will have to get out next week whatever or i won’t be fit enough to run Leicester

• Options

Toby3 - Don't press the panic button yet.  Think of this as recovery from Bristol.  You won't lose a lot of fitness in two weeks and should still have enough in the tank to do the half at Leicester.  When you do start running take it slowly.  Trying to do a long run in the first few days will set you back even further.

I've had compartment syndrome before and that affects the tissue just between the shin bone and calf muscle.  Massaging it proved very effective, but quite painful.  I had to slightly alter my running style and have to stand taller and push my hips forward more than I used to.  It took a couple of runs to get used to, but soon becomes second nature.  I can still get pain now if I run in the wrong trainers or on uneven ground, but now know how to get over it.

Stay patient and you will make it to the finish. 

• Options

Hi Toby - sorry to hear about the extra lay off. can you still go swimming or cycling to keep a bit of fitness up? Hope the shin eases this week.

Did a good session tonight of 5 x 2000m reps near where I live in 6.12 / 6.13 pace with the last one at 6.05 pace. A 1 mile warm up & 2 mile warm down and recovery jogs made it up to 10 miles.

Did you get down the Club tonight Martin? Did you go cross country again?
    The nights are getting dark earlier and quicker. I went out in the light and came back in the dark.

• Options
    K/R yes it's a pain and lets hope your right and the pain eases of this week
  • Options

6.75 miles last night with the club at 7:29 pace overall with a last mile at around 6:20 pace.  Cross country to Countesthorpe and then on a bridal path to Blaby.  Through some woods in near darkness and back along a paved trail to South Wigston.  It was dark by the time we got back.  I think that the weeks of cross country are coming to an end.

I'm aiming to run each day this week except for Friday as I am on holiday next week so this is my last big week.

• Options

K/R - I forgot to say this morning that was a very good session of yours last night.  Overall very fast and an excellent last one.  Very encouraging for Leicester.

Just a quick 5k for me at lunch today as I have a meeting in a bit and have stuff to do at home tonight.  Overall pace was 6:16 but individual mile times were 6:38, 5:58 & 6:16.  Plus a cooldown of 0.9 miles means 4 miles in total today.