Options

Leicester Marathon

Comments

• Options

Evening all

well were back from Leicester daughter safely deposited managed a 30 minute run while i was there run up new walk around Victoria park and back down new walk and back to the holiday express by walkers stadium weather was perfect if it like this in 2 weeks well be laughing

When we got back to Bristol went out and joined the gym and then went for a swim

Haven’t received may race pack yet will give to Wednesday then get in touch with the organizers

• Options

Had a day of rest today one of the first days ever!  Got the last big one tomorrow before Lochness on Sunday 3rd just before this one!

Hope everyone has a good run 2mrow!

• Options

Morning all

well i done it myself this time walked into the corner of a self at work last night not watching what i was doing and now have bruised a rib i being to think someone’s trying to tell me something oh well get it all out of the way now and hopefully next year i will be injury free

Still on for the H/F but am going to have to step the training up as i was puffing like a train after the run on Saturday

i had all these grate plans this year run Bristol and was going to break my PB and run it faster than Bath something i have been unable to do up to now then on wards to Leicester marathon were i was going to have a good go at getting down to under 4hrs

Oh well the best laid plans of mice and men

My race pack arrived today 6860 not so shore about the T-Shirt may have to wash it first to get some of the stickiness off of it were they put the transfer on the front

Not quite a hear good luck with Lochness on Sunday hope all goes to plan

• Options

Has it got that sunflower man/character on the front of the T-shirt - That put me off ordering one in advance. Next thing you'll be walking into doors  getting a black eye!. I think you need to wear a crash helemt at all times now!

Only 2 weeks left!

• Options

Do you have to wear the tshirt or was that one you ordered specially?

Was jusst going to wear a runnning best or go naked!image

• Options
    Yes, it has the sunflower on it and a pink/purple background - not so sure pink/purple is my colour so an early Christmas present for the better half ! - she'll be pleased ??
    Now my number and Garmin GPS watch has arrived I'm inspired to go for a lunchtime run, then spend the afternoon getting angry when I can't figure out how to download the data.
  • Options

Definitely one to wear under a long sleeved top during the winter my son opinion of it very gay

• Options

It brings out your femine side then the top!  Perhaps you could use it as a duster if not!

• Options

Sounds like a naff design.

I got a really hideous t-shirt once for an Easter 10k race - should have known better. It was lime green with a red line drawing of a Bunny holding up balloons. Surfice to say it was well ugly. The only time I wear it is when it's dark and I am running through the more unsavoury parts of the city. Who's going to attack someone wearing that!

• Options
    this is the naffest t- shrit  i had
  • Options

Afternoon all

Just a quick post

Just back from the Gym struggled 8 miles on the treadmill then in to the pool for a swim then had to suffer the horrors of the Jacuzzi will have to get the fitness level up if i hope to run all of Leicester

• Options

one of the guys at my running club talekd about the Leicester Marathon t-shirt he had ordered. Doesn't reckon he'll wear it as it compromises his sexuality!

8.5 miles last night down the Club done at a fairly decent pace overall. Will see if I can get out for a cheeky 5 miler tonight and then some more reps on Thursday night. Looks like there are quite a few from our Club doing the half this year, so should be good for a bit of rivalry! Have youbeen out on the road lately Toby or are you sticking with the treadmill?

• Options

Just back from the gym did 5 miles set the treadmill 3% slope then ran half mile at 5.5mph then up it to 7mphfor the next half a mile then walked for half a mile and repeated then again went for a swim

bit the bullet and wore the t-shirt to the gym but i think like runner 888 will let the O/H have it

K/R last i went out was Saturday when in Leicester will go out again before the 10th

• Options

Good Afternoon All,

Well I can't say it's good to be back.....sitting in 35 degree heat with the occasional dip in the pool or the sea, or working!!!!  Difficult choice.

I managed only 3 runs while I was away as the temperature varied between 35 during the day to a minimum of 25 at night.  I ran 3.5 miles at 5pm one afternoon and took the rest of the evening to hydrate again (although 3 pints of beer during the afternoon before the run didn't help).

Apart from that it was 2 x 3 milers at around 7am but the temperature was still high 20's and the very uncomfortable.  It kept my legs going though so was worthwhile.

I'm hoping to get out for a run tomorrow (not tonight as have only had 2.5 hours sleep and am dead on my feet).  Sunday will be final longish run (around 8-9 miles) and then take it fairly sensibly next week.

I got my pack for the half when I got back, and the t-shirt isn't great.  However, it isn't quite as gay as everyone has said, just a little chilid-like!!!!

• Options

Toby3 - Does it feel good to be running again?  Just nurse yourself through the next week and then you can let the adrenaline of the day take you as far and fast as you can.

K/R - Excellent running.  Looks like you'll be finishing ahead of me with what you have been doing recently.  Do you have a time in mind yet?

Not Quite a Hare - Good luck with Loch Ness at the weekend.  I admire anyone who can run 2 marathons so close together.

Runner888 - How did the Garmin go?  Have you managed to get obsessed with the gadget yet?

• Options
    Hi Martin - how did I live without my Garmin FR110 ? i've spent longer analysing the data than I have running - its brilliant.

Good to see Toby's running again and I do agree with his son's educated fashion critique about the t-shirt 'its very gay'. However it does go with my yellow high heels so its not all bad !

Looks like the London marathon in/out mags are arriving today for some people. Fingers crossed its 4th time lucky for me.

Not long now till Leicester, starting to taper off a bit now, and i'm sick of the site and taste of pasta whatever the bloody shape it is.
  • Options
    Martin H wrote (see)

Toby3 - Does it feel good to be running again?  Just nurse yourself through the next week and then you can let the adrenaline of the day take you as far and fast as you can.

K/R - Excellent running.  Looks like you'll be finishing ahead of me with what you have been doing recently.  Do you have a time in mind yet?

Not Quite a Hare - Good luck with Loch Ness at the weekend.  I admire anyone who can run 2 marathons so close together.

Runner888 - How did the Garmin go?  Have you managed to get obsessed with the gadget yet?

Martin - Glad you enjoyed your holiday and hope you didn't put too much weight on - you probably sweated it off anyway! Not got a time in mind for Leicester just to get under 1.30 minimum. Would be good to beat last years time, but will see how it goes on the day. Last session of 2k reps tonight and probably a steady 10 miler on Sunday with a couple of miles at HM pace in the middle somewhere.

Runner888 - Welcome to geek heaven! Have you linked up your watch with the Garmin connect site?

• Options

I rarely weigh myself so no idea how much I have put on but am sure I have.  I also have tickets for the Leicestershire Food Festival on Saturday so that's not going to help.  However, a couple of runs and I'll be ok.  The extra couple of pounds might give me some more energy!!!!

I got my London Marathon acceptance this morning, although it was a Good For Age place and not through the ballot.   It will be my 5th time next year and am looking forward to it already. 

Good luck to all that are looking for a place.

• Options

Congrats in getting into London again Martin. I think you'll do well next April. Seems like long way a way.

I got my rejection magazine today. That's okay as I've entered & paid for Brighton anyway and really looking forward to that instead. I suppose it saves me the headache of trying to defer for a year etc…

Managed a good 5 x 2000m rep session tonight with a 1 mile warm up & 2 mile warm down. Looking forward to next Sunday.

Have you managed any running today Toby? - hope the injury is clearing up for you.

• Options

Afternoon all 

Never got out for a run today went down to Poole last night as had to take back some things to the driving school i had been working for we left Poole about 10.30 and by the time we got back was so tired went to bed for a couple of hours did managed to get over the gym for a swim will try to get out for a run tomorrow

Martin well done for getting in to the London marathon

K/R you will enjoy Brighton i really enjoyed it this year mind you we were rather lucky with the weather

• Options

Hi guys, latecomer here..only entered on Thursday. Did Anglesey Marathon last weekend and fancied a nice last LSR before Snowdon marathon in 4 weeks time. Don't know anything about this course/ event/parking etc. so any advice would be very good.

I'm really sorry but have not read previous forum entries so hope not to be asking stuff already answeredimage

Cheers

Brer

• Options
    Brer rabbit welcome to our small but happy bunch there are a couple of holiday inns that are nice and the course I believe is fairly flat apart from the end this is my first time there Martin and K/R are locale so they will be able to tell you more
  • Options

Morning all

Never did get out for that run was just too tired and to be honest just was too lazy to get of my fat behind

And i am now having serious doubts about Leicester on Sunday at the moment 13 miles seems to be an unrealistic target

at the moment i seem to be all Mo and no Jo when we rejoined the gym you were given a free 30 minute session with a personal trainer he had me doing exercises with a medicine ball working to get my core fitness level up it was then i realized how unfit i had got over the last 2 months

The last thing i want to do is go to Leicester and have to be picking up by the recovery car

Have a trip to the phyiso today and will see how i feel on Tuesday

• Options

Morning All,

Keep you spirits up Toby3.  Any distance feels a long way when you are just coming back from injury.  Take advice from the physio so that you don't do yourself any longer term damage, but remember that there will be people alot slower than you doing Leicester so you will not be the last to finish.  Also, unless you constantly train your core muscles, medicine ball work is always going to hurt!!!!

Brer rabbit - There are a few hotels in the area of the start/finish.  There is an Ibis, Travel Lodge and a couple of Holiday Inns all within a mile or so.  The course itself is reasonably flat with no major hills.  The worst hill is the last mile which is a steady incline.  Not too bad normally but at the end of 13/26 miles it will take it's toll.   Parking will be limited around the area so either park in a NCP in the centre or on the streets around Victoria Park, but I believe this is restricted. 

• Options

My first training since returning from holiday was 3 miles on Friday at 6:35 pace which felt quite tough.

Yesterday morning I ran slightly longer and faster than I was expecting.  Was aiming for 8 miles at around 6.50-7.00 pace with a fast mile in the middle but ended up feeling good so ran 10 miles at 6:45 pace in the wind and heavy rain. 

Just the Tuesday club run and then a slow steady couple of miles Tursday or Friday to keep the legs moving and then load up on the carbs for Sunday.

Fingers crossed for a dry Sunday morning!!

• Options
    Afternoon all. Well done on getting into London Martin, I've got my 5th rejection in a row, therefore in theory as long as Mr Branson doesn't change the rules yet again and honours his promise in seeing out those who had been denied in 2008 and 2009 + then I should have a guaranteed place in 2012 - we'll see !!.
    Less than a week to go and now I'm bored of pasta, potatoes and ready break, I'm having bacon, eggs, beer, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, beer, fried bread and beer for breakfast a week today to celebrate.
    I've a busy week ahead with little access to the internet so I'll wish you all a safe week of light running and sensible eating. Enjoy Sunday as much as you can .
  • Options

Good luck Runner888 - I know a sub 2.50 marathon runner who used to have a full english as pre marathon breakfast! Well if you are used to that in training why not!

Easy week for me this week.

Last long slow run last night of 10 miles - wanted to do it at 7.30 min/mile pace and ended up doing it in 7.08 pace and felt okay with it. Not sure what to do this week yet, might go down the Club tomorrow night and then some easy short reps Wednesday to keep the legs going.

Hope you feel better this week Toby and get inpsired to come up to Leicester.

• Options

Good Luck as well Runner888.  And good luck for London 2012!!!   I know how you feel about carb-loading.  I don't start until Thursday but I love my food so hate having to eat too healthy.  I've got a litre bottle of proper cider, a couple of bottles of good beer and a date with a fish and chip shop for next Sunday!!!!!

K/R - It's good that you felt good with a faster paced run yesterday.  It's hard sometimes to drop the pace too far back and still feel comfortable. 

• Options

*waves*

Hi - I am another late entry, a fellow forumite couldn't run, so I'm going to give it a go instead! I did my post-grad at Leicester Uni, and was born in the city, many moons ago, so hope to distract myself from the pain of running 26.2miles with a spot of reminiscing and sight seeing image

Hope everyone is well and happy and just about ready for the weekend!

• Options

Afternoon All

Well got my fat a** out the door today did 10 miles just plodded around struggled a little but fell lot more confident now  

ame back from the physio with a foam roller