Options

Leicester Marathon

Comments

• Options

Welcome Frodo.  I'm sure you'll have fun reminscing, for the first few miles at least!!!!!

Toby3 - Excellent run today.  Make sure that you now look after yourself for the rest of the week.  You won't improve your fitness now before Sunday, but a bad run could dent your confidence or cause injury.  Good luck at physio and hope to see you up here on Sunday.

• Options
    was talk to K/R about meeting up before the race as it would be nice to put faces to the names  if that some thing any one would be interestes in doing let me know
  • Options

Cheers for info folks, will be driving down in the morning so it was reall the car parking I was concerned about as I dont know leicester at all. I assume it will all be fairly obvious! Flat route is good!!!

Cheers

Brer

ps hi Frodo!!

• Options

Good luck to you all.

Was hoping to get a late entry into the half at least, but injured after last race, so decided to rest for a couple of weeks.  Did the marathon last year (1st and only one), and was after a PB, so maybe next year.  It is a good course not to difficult I found, a bit lonely out in the country if not in a group.

Toby, I'm sure the crowd will get you round the half marathon course.

Hope to see all your stories on how it went on Sunday evening

PS Careful going down the underpass, those tight corners aren't great on your achilles after 24 miles

• Options

Morning all

Heading over the gym for a swim or my do a little run on the treadmill i will see what i feel like when i get there

• Options

Brer Rabbit - There is a NCP about half a mile away from the start/finish.  It's on East Street and is just over the road from the train station.  There are others around the centre as well, all really within 15-30 mins walk to the start. 

There is some off road parking on the Stoneygate side of Victoria Park but I know some is restricted to residents and may also be quite busy.

Toby3 - Good luck today and we will have to arrange to meet before the start.

• Options

Cheers for that Martyn, really useful info

Ta v much

Brer

• Options

morning all

just a swim yesterday will try a small 4 miler today

• Options

Morning All,

5 mile run with the club last night at a fairly gentle 7:20 pace.   That looks like it will be my last proper run before Sunday as I tripped over in the first half mile and landed on my hands and knees.  My right knee has swollen and stiffened and is very sore.  Hopefully, it is just an impact injury and with alot of rest, ice and a bit of luck it should be fine for Sunday.

If not then a couple of painkillers and hope for the best!!!!!!

• Options

get some ibrufrofen down you Martin!

A bit of rest will hopefully do it some good. I think you have done enough proper training for this race, so this week should be an esay one anyway.

• Options

Already taken and ibuprofen gel rubbed onto it.  I'm well stocked up after previous injuries.

I'm not worried about not running this week as was only going to be an easy one on Thursday or Friday just to keep my legs moving and it's not going to influence my fitness in any way.  I'll probably try a short run to the paper shop on Saturday morning just to test it out so that I know it will be ok (just a confidence thing).

• Options

hi Martin

look after your self and  take care look forward to meeting you and K/R on Sunday

• Options

Afternoon all

just back from the gym did 10 minutes on the bike to warm up then 4 miles on the treadmill 3 miles at 9:13mm pace then a recovery mile at 11:58mm pace then in for a swim

• Options

Good going Toby3.  Hope that you are getting your mojo back again just in time.

Looks like being a hot one if the weather forecasts are correct!!!!

• Options

Hopefully the temperatures won't be that bad at 9.15 in the morning!
    Probably will affect the marathon runners more - not bothered about the weather as long as it isn't strong wind - pharp!

• Options

Last 7 miler for me tonight..carbs tomorrow...hot weather???Tis October..is that really the forecast??

What time you marathon runners looking at then?

• Options
    Hi- Brer! I'm looking at being pretty slow image

Just treating this as a LSR before SNOD, I should be averaging 10m/m, so hope I have a bit of company at the back.

• Options

Last decent sesh tonight of 5 x 1000m reps. Felt okay and could have done more, but didn't want to burn out, plus the fact the Apprentice was due on the telly!

I think quite a few on here are just doing the Half Brer. We kind of started off thinking of doing the full then ended up entering the half. I had second thoughts and didn't fancy doing all the training again after VLM in April - maybe next year? Was sort of time are you looking for?

• Options

Morning all

Off up the gym again today to do the same as yesterday and that will be me until Sunday

We are travelling up on Friday night then taking the car back to Roberts on Saturday morning hoping to check out a couple of cheering locations for the wife and daughter then back to the hotel to use the heath club

Brer Rabbit i was going to do the Full Marathon but unfortunately pick an injury a couple of months ago which put pay to that plan and missed so much training have had to drop down to the half also must say i am pretty gutted as i was up to about the 20 mile mark and hadn’t really stop training after Brighton in April

Still as i have said before it was my own stupid fault had i done something about it when it first happened back early last year instead of ignoring it i may well have still been running the full one but training for Brighton and then Leicester has forced my hand

As for a time for the half will just be pleased to get round as still recovering from the injury

rest well everyone

• Options

Morning All,

My knee is a bit better this morning.  I can know bend it to around 50% of normal now but it is still painful when using stairs.

With 3 full days left it should be just about back to normal, maybe just a bit more painful but I can live with that for an hour and half.

Where do everyone want to meet before the start?  I'll be wearing a purple vest with Wishes 4 Kids and my name printed on it.  I'll be there from around 8:30ish.

Good running K/R - Feet up now for the rest of the week!!!!!

• Options

just had a look on map may run at a satellite picture of Victoria park there appears to be a path that runs parallel to the car park and what appears to be some tennis courts could meet on that path level with the tennis courts i will have a blue running vest on with Alan on the front and Toby 3 on the back

• Options

Been invited out tonight to see the new Wall Street film preview at the Cinema De luxe with a Champagne & canape reception and a Frank Sinatra tribute after the film. Looking forward to it, but will be driving so will only have a small sip of the plonk on offer.

Just a gentle 3 mile lazy jog on Friday then that's it till Sunday.

• Options
    toby3 wrote (see)

just had a look on map may run at a satellite picture of Victoria park there appears to be a path that runs parallel to the car park and what appears to be some tennis courts could meet on that path level with the tennis courts i will have a blue running vest on with Alan on the front and Toby 3 on the back

I think it is a mixture of tennis courts & a BMX/skateboard area. Sounds like a good place to meet. I'll be floating about fromabout 8.30/8.45. I only live down the road but get my wife to drop me off. I'll have a green/white vest on with Wigston Phoenix on it - number 6255 (I think?) on it. I also wear glasses.
  • Options

Sounds like a good area K/R & Toby3.  I think my number is 6747??? 

K/R - Enjoy tonight.  Pity you have a H/M to run on Sunday!!!

• Options

Hi Frodo-cannot believe we are doing this marathon so close to Snowdon..oh well, as you say..steady she goes!! I'll be happy with 4 hrs I reckon but if not, so be it!

Carb loading has commenced and I already feel like Humpty Dumptyimage

Have a good rest all, see ya Sunday

Brer

• Options
    just bought some scones from Morrisons and having spag bol later - it's a hard life carb loading!
  • Options

Knight rider.. tis tough eating sconesimage I never carb load for a Half, that's interesting, does it make a difference..would like to beat pb next year of 1:39 and it always seems the last mile gets the better of me.

Brer

• Options

well leave for Leicester later today won't get there until about 8.30pm thats if the moterways clear

maynot be able to post again now so if i can't look forward toseeing you all it been a long rock road but we got there

• Options

My carb loading started last night with a massive amount of potatoes with dinner.  Will continue it until Saturday lunchtime and then have a nice balanced pasta meal in the evening.  Porridge and jam Sunday morning and loads of water.

My knee is still sore and still taking ibuprofen, rubbing gels into it and icing it.  Not much more I can do now and it looks as though I won't get to test it out now before Sunday.

Good luck everyone and I hope you all get the times you want.

• Options

Brer - I always carb load for a half and usually start a few days before hand. More so watching what I am eating really. I think it does help as if you can build up your glycogen levels as anything over an hour will be depleting your stores of energy. It's concentrating on the slow release stuff that works well, but I'm sure you know all that being a marathon runner anyway.

Martin - maybe a bit of walking might help loosen up your knee a bit - encouraging a bit of blood flow? Hope you are feelig fit on Sunday as I know you are certainly in that zone to get the good time you deserve.

Toby - Enjoy your stay in Leiccester and hope you get a good journey up. Will see you all before the race. Checked this morning and my number is actually 6252 ( it hink I got a digit qrong in an earlier post)