Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

Hey Birmingham Owl, didnt know it was you, nice meeting you,that was one tough race but i seemrd to recover well and was even doing pyramids on the track last night.

winding the mileage down now, all the endurance training is in the bank and so training for the next 2 weeks is all about speedwork and lots of track to make that marathon pace feel easy,that what it says on the tin anyway.

• Options

Hia all,

I am looking for a spare place in the Edinburgh marathon this year. Can anyone help please?

I was down to run it, but had to transfer my place due to work commitments, but things have changed, so are now free to run it.

I am looking at 2h 55min time, so would be grateful for a number in one of the front pens just behind the elite guys and girls.

Jonny

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Finished my last 22 miler tonight. The last 4 miles were tragic, teach me for setting off too fast in the afternoon sun.
  • Options

I saw with interest the recent discussion on the shuttle buses. I had planned just to use public transport. Is that likely to be a problem?

I could always jog back into Edinburgh. Maybe not

Owl

• Options

Hi all

Sorry not been on here in ages........injury had me thinking i'd not be able to do this.......BUTTTTTTTT the niggles and pains in calf, knee and ITB that dogged me have turned out to be rather a large quad tear but with the magic fingers of my physio and some deep tissue work (ouchhhh) and me being v v sensible and not running at all for 3 weeks and then building back up slowly i'm up to 10 pain free miles again. 

Not going to achieve my GFA time which is what i entered Edinburgh for but hoping to be able to complete the course at very least.  I managed a 20 mile hilly race in 3.28 just before the injury took hold and a couple of 16's and a 17 miler.  6 weeks on i feel my fitness has taken such a hammering but going to try a very slow 18 this weekend before a 2 week taper.........so fingers crossed!!

Flying up to Edinburgh 2 weeks today........woohoooo .... can't wait now!!!

• Options

Hi everyone,  particularly Slowhand, Sequin and moving along.

Just to give you an update on how my training is going.  Onthe 24th Nov I put on a post to say that I was training for Edinburgh and was nervous because it is so long since I had run one.  I would like to go sub four hours.   

Sequin you told me that there was plenty of time for improvement - thank you, you gave me lots of confidence.  

I did East Hull 20 mile in March in 2 hours and 44 minutes and I did Rothwell 10k on Monday may 3rd in 45 mins and 5 secs.    

Good luck to everyone who is taking part - Jan x

• Options
    Jan Settle, Never stop believing,it just goes to show what you can do if you are determined.With those times I am sure you can hit your goal of a sub 4hr mara.Once the bug bites....hope you have a great run on May 22nd.
    Andrea B,glad you have decided to carry on you will still enjoy the day I`m sure.
  • Options

Hello Jan and everyone!

Great to hear my post encouraged you Jan. Thanks for remembering and for your kind post. Well done with your training. Some great times there in your races too.

Hope everyone else is doing well and enjoying the taper! I am aiming for about 3.45 and looking forward to enjoying the experience of a new marathon. I have also entered the Farnham Pilgrim marathon in September.

Good luck everyone- let's hope it wont be as hot as VLM was...

x

• Options

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know when the race packs are being sent out?

• Options
    Hello all, I am doing a half mara in Edinburgh as was too late to register for the full mara sadly. I ran Paris marathon in 4:21 but hopefully time can be improved drastically with lack of heat and stomach aches. I seem to get them everytime I get nervous though image I am looking to find a marathon training schedule to follow - I am doing Loch Ness in Oct next. Any suggestions welcome!
  • Options

Hi UpsyDaisy!  I *think*  I met you in Birmingham on the Asics selection day?? Well done for completing Paris in those condiitons!!!

I would recommend the Pfitzinger and Douglas Advanced Marathoning 18 week schedules - well worth taking a look at, I did one for training for Snowdonia mara last october and improved my mara time by 50 minutes from VLM the same year and Snowdonia is quite a bit tougher than London!  Don't be put off by the *advanced* bit, they explain at the beginning of the book that all they mean by advanced is someone wishing to improve upon what they've already achieved! 

• Options

Hi Russell, I think i read somewhere that they were being sent next week and would definitely be with us by 16th May

• Options
    Hi Andrea, thanks! I can't believe we will be running a marathon in 2 weeks! Fingers crossed it's a dull, cold, windless day! Has anyone run Brighton? How does it compare? I'm being very gready and hoping for a faster time!
  • Options
    two weeks today all the effort we have put in will hopefully have been worthwhile,the weather leading up to the w-end looks dull and damp so heres hoping.Been out for a 12mile tempo run this morning,just want it to arrive now.....its so close.
  • Options
    penultimate long run done this morning, 15 miles and it felt a bit of a struggle but its in the bag now, just one more to do in 2 weeks time
  • Options
    I feel the same myself Jakesy. My last serious session was the Stratford half today. Still had so much of last Sunday in my legs though so struggled to do the pace I had hoped. Just outside a pb by 20 seconds which given the fatigue I should be really happy with. All the hard work has now been done so now a darn good rest.
  • Options

Birmingham Owl, thats a fantastic result for you,2 weeks of rest and you`ll be flying (like an owl)image and i know what you mean about still having those hills in your legs.I did the local parkrun yesterday and found it really hard to turn on the speed,wasnt very happy with my time for the effort i put in but the bonus was my first ever win in 10 yrs of running.A big thanks for that should go to Russel Nimbus who is the head honcho of the Princes Parkrun in Liverpool.

• Options

Well done Jakesy. You were absolutely flying around the parkrun! There's some great pictures of you here.

• Options

My transport top tip: skip the buses when getting back to town.

Go east from the racetrack/finish to Wallyford rail station. It's up the hill (sigh!) and google maps says it's 1.2 miles (sigh, also!).

Last year, the platform was crowded, but everybody got on. That probably can't be said of people that tried to catch the train at the next station (Musselburgh, due SW of the finish). Once moving, it's a quick ride and lands you back at Waverly, near the start.

This year, I'll be smart enough to have printed out a train schedule.

Good luck+skill to all!

• Options

Jakesy, that is reassuring - as long as others are suffering too then I'm happy image. Congratulations on your race win.

Rennur, that sounds like a good plan. Are there any public buses running rather than the  shuttle buses ?

Owl

• Options
    WexterWexter ✭✭✭

Thanks for the travel plans will have to check it out. Getting excited now going up to Edinburgh from London  on the Saturday.  After injuries , purchased new trainers and breaking them in now. 9 mile run on Saturday in around 1 hour and 20 minutes, followed by a 44 minute 6 mile run this morning. Knees and feet feeling better now. Planning one more 1 hour run and a few shorter runs. Was funny as wanted to carry on running for longer this morning but trying to take it easy now as part of the taper process.

Still optimistic of a 4 hour finish though as this will be my first marathon I am stepping into the realms of the unknown as my furthest race was 20 miles in March. 

• Options
    BirminghamOwl wrote (see)

Rennur, that sounds like a good plan. Are there any public buses running rather than the shuttle buses ?

Owl

Public buses will be running, but it's one or two per hour, so not very useful at all.

• Options
    Hi peeps,

I'll be running in the Half (because I'm too lazy and too sane to be one of you Marathoners!). Regarding the Baggage issue - the emf website says that there will be trucks available for the full marathon but doesn't mention the Half. Does anyone know if these are available for the Half, and if so, do they come to the finish? It's looking I'm likely to be a lonesome runner, and could do with being able to get my phone and cash at the end of the run. Do I have to rely on the shuttlebus? Questions!
  • Options
    Hmm, for some reason I can't edit my previous posts... anyway, I *knew* there was a reason I wanted to print a train schedule. Trains only come once an hour, at 41 minutes past the hour.
  • Options
    Hi, I am running the Marathon. Does anyone know if there will be gels at certain water stations? Cheers
  • Options

Hi AlfretonRSC_77

According to he course map and information on the EMF website, there are combined water/feed stations at: 5.5 miles, 11 miles, 14 miles and just before 22 miles.

Gels and sports drinks supplied by lucozade (not my favourites)

Guessing from your forum name, you are travelling north for the marathon. I am originally from Chesterfield but now live up near Glasgow.

Enjoy the race image

• Options
    Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on, been struggling along with my injury woes. Have my MRI scan tomorrow so will see the extent of the damage to my knee soon.

So after next to no running and mainly cross training over the past 7 or 8 weeks thought I better test things out today to see if I can even make the start line. Got 15 miles done in a fairly comfortable 1hr50, which given the lack of training was pretty good. The knee feels a little sore, but not so much to put me off. So have decided to run and just see how it goes, sub 3 well out the window weeks ago, so no running it hard just running to enjoy.

I think the latter stages will be very challenging, but if I run well within myself I should be ok.

Everyone must be in to taper now, keep a lid on it guys and save it for the day!
  • Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if I should be happy to see the back of the longest training runs or be nervous as that must mean the big day is getting quite close...  Still, I've done almost 400 miles training since January, so feel reasonably ready.

Whilst I guess it's far from encouraged, does anyone know if you can change starts?  I had a nasty thought the other day that my running buddy and I could get put into the different starts.  We've suffered some of the training together, so it would be a shame not to help each other round.

Getting back into Edinburgh sounds like it could be fun.  We're staying off Princess Street so it might be a long wait for a bath!

• Options
    Shorn sheep: actually from sutton in Ashfield the name stands for Alfreton road supporters club! Weird I know. Will be travelling up on the Friday a nice five hour or so drive. Mega. Glad to hear about gels means I don't have to carry any.

I checked it out and it's about six miles from Musselburgh to Edinburgh centre. Is that too far for a warm down to walk it back after a marathon?! image

Must admit Iam very much looking forward to it!!
  • Options

Chri5B,

I am not aware of there being separate starts but I assume they have 'pens' for different paces. However, London marathon is the only place I have ever seen these policed so I'm guessing you should be able to start wherever you want. In the interests of fairness to your fellow runners though that would be finding a place appropriate to the slower of the two of you.

Shutterbug says:

>> Everyone must be in to taper now, keep a lid on it guys and save it for the day!

That has got to be the most appropriate piece of advice I have seen and one of the hardest to follow image

Owl