Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

Well I did the Parkrun! Chilly but great fun. 22.55- (PB 21.31 a few years ago) but improving. Can't wait to go back and be quicker.

My son who is 11 came too and took 2 minutes off his time! Proud Mummy.

Abi- are you seeing a physio? Would recommend you do. IT Band is a nasty injury. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I would be tempted to miss Hayling to be on the safe side and let your body rest. What does everyone else think?

• Options
    Hi Abi, I`m sure there is some info on itbs/ or stretches you can do to help prevent it, in this months(dec)runnersworld mag.Take it easy tomo.dont overdo it and best of luck.
    Just a 10 mile hill session tomo for me....and its freezing,

Dave.
  • Options

Abi - I'm afraid I've no idea about IT Band injuries, so can't really offer any advice - best of luck tomorrow if you decide to do it tho.

Sequin - again cracking time. And well done for getting out in the cold.

Slowhand - good luck with the hill session!

I've been sat in front of the TV, but have decided to pick up the 100 Push Up Challenge that I never completed a few months back. Also did some ankle exercises and some plank exercises. Was hoping to go out for a run, but the thought of getting my off-road shoes wet before tomorrow didn't sit too easy, and also provided a great excuse for not going out!

Watching the football on TV, ended up jumping up and down at the goals and some decisions - probably safe to say my ankle is recovered!

• Options
    I'm about to leave for Hayling. The weather forcast is even colder... highs of 0 degrees!. To run in I'm wearing shorts under tights, HH top, my "In Training EMF" tech t-shirt, thin gloves, fleece hat, plus usual undies. And more layers for waiting around in. I'm a bit nervous. This is my longest race ever. Not that I'm "racing". Just going to see how it feels and take it easy. Pasta for dinner last night. Porridge breakfast. I've got a nice thermos of hot Horlicks for after. Plus water, PB&J bagel and jelly beans when needed. How does that sound for preparation? Oh, and a sister-in-law for moral support, transport and carrying warm layers when I ditch them at the start. Off I go...
  • Options
    I'll echo the good luck Abi, although you sound very well prepared.

I've just had peanut butter on toast and a banana in readiness for a steady 12 miles later this morning. Gloves and hat are warming up on a radiator as we speak. We're at about -3 but the sun's out and no breeze. Look's like it could be a nice run once I've warmed up.

Hope everyone else has a good running day today.
  • Options

How did it go Abi? ITB ok?

Just back from a 12 miler with my husband- very cold! Took about  2 hours- quite a hilly, off road route.

Good idea to warm your hat and gloves Plodder49!

I think Buffs are really good too in cold weather-especially the fleece ones.

Rest day tomorrow but doing pilates for core strength.

What's everyone else been up to this weekend?

• Options
    Just finished my long run. Ended up doing 12.57 miles in 2:01:00, although no hills for me today Sequin. Complete rest for me tomorrow, apart from work of course!

Just finished a chocolate 'For Goodness Shakes' and about to put dinner in the oven (roast chicken and all the trimmings) for when my wife gets home from work at 4.30. Then a nice warm shower and a glass of wine followed by feet up to (hopefully) watch the mighty Spurs take Liverpool apart.

Cheers all.

• Options

Hey Plodder- sounds great. Well done. Got any races lined up?

For Goodness Shakes are good aren't they. I had chocolate SIS Rego but prefer milkshakes.

Your dinner sounds delicious. How lucky your wife is to come home to a lovely cooked dinner.Wine sounds tempting but I am doing a 42 day challenge with no alcohol! Day 28 so looking forward to finishing. Cheers!

• Options

Hi all - some fantastic running going on!

Abi - any news on how you got on?

The 10k I was down to do got cancelled by organisers yesterday.

Managed to get myself out for a 6 miler today, no problems from ankle at all, so think I'm back to normal training. Was aiming to do a kind of tempo run - 2 mile warm up, 2 miles at 8m 30, 2 miles warm down, but that kind of went out the window (I was thinking it might have been a bit ambitious before I set off!). Did manage 3 miles at sub 9 m/m though, so I'm happy. Would have managed a 4th but I think lack of fitness told!

Also played around with my new heart rate monitor, so need to check what it was saying for the run.

So who's got what races lined up? My next one is Bedford Half on 12th Dec - so 2 weeks to get up to 13.1 miles - eek!

• Options
    Hello Everyone,

Found this thread earlier and read it all, gripping stuff, lots of info, plenty good running going on out there.
    Entered Edinburgh 2011 last week myself, confirmation e-mail by return so that's it, it's gotta happen!
    Been working up to Marathon distance for the past two years now. We were up in Edinburgh last summer during the festival. Terrific city and vibes, had some good runs out too. Hope the Marathon will deliver the same...
    Good luck with the training all and stay safe this Winter.
  • Options
    Abi - just to say MarathonTalk (a running podcast I listen to) had an interview with a physio on Episode 45 and they touched on IT band stuff - might be worth a listen. For everyone else its a really good podcast anyway so might be worth giving it a quick listen anyway! WWW.marathontalk.com

DesRes - well done on entering! Welcome!
  • Options
    I love Marathon Talk - I'd recommend it to you all!
  • Options

Hi,

I survived... more than that... I really enjoyed it. Just a little achy today. Slight ache around the ITB but not nearly as bad as last time. Will get busy stretching and massage rollering. I did it faster than ever. Less than 10 minute miles. I don't know what came over me. I'm usually much more like my namesake - snail. Lovely flat route. Nice sunny clear day. Absolutely freezing but I was suitably layered.

I saw a physio a few weeks ago. She gave me some exercises to do, which I'm doing (sporadically). I'll go back if the problems continue/ worsen even with more regular exercises etc.

• Options

Hi

Well done Abi- I have done Hayling in the past and enjoyed it too. Glad it went well and that your IT band isn't too sore. Keep an eye on it.

I did a hard pilates class today and have a bit of a sore back now, but really enjoyed the class. Would rather be running but know it is doing me good.

Ali- I keep meaning to listen to Marathon talk- good to hear you recommend it.

Welcome DesRes- Edinburgh festival is great isn't it-happy memories of my student days..

Movingalong- I have entered the Winter Tanners 30 (a LDWA challenge event but not officially a race). Also Meon Valley Plod, Fleet half and possibly Bramley 20 too. Still planning....

Keep warm everyone! Snow is forcast here tonight. Glad to have the option of the treadmill!

• Options

Sequin - the Winter Tanners 30 looks great - I'll have to keep an eye out for that one next year - no way I could be up to fitness for it this time round.

I haven't organised anything for the new year yet - think there are a few club races that I need to enter and then need to compare my training schedule to tie up with some races.

Oh and Sequin I can second Ali and highly recommend MarathonTalk.

Well done Abi - sounds like you had a great day!

• Options

Winter Tanners does look great and it is very cheap but I am a bit worried that doing such a long distance will take a lot out of my legs and a while to recover...not ideal but hopefully not too close to Edinburgh to matter.

Had to abandon run tonight due to ice...boo

Stay safe out there!

• Options

I've taken my running stuff to the gym for the past 2 days in order to get on the dreadmill - still haven't managed it.

Running stuff packed ready for tomorrow, lets see if I can make it this time. Dedication has gone completely out the window image

• Options
    How's everyone doing?

Today's the end of one of my occasional 'light' weeks where I only do my long slow run in order to recharge my running batteries. I did 10 (treadmill) miles today at a brisk 9 mins per mile pace.

I incorporate similar weeks of low mileage runs every fifth week in my marathon training schedules comprising of 4 runs of no more than 5 to 7 miles. I have found they really help in terms of avoiding over training and also by having a 'lighter' week to look forward to in the middle of some of the more gruelling higher mileage weeks.

Did anyone else else set themselves a mileage target for 2010 and, if so, how are you doing now we're into December? I have recently exceeded my target of 750 miles for 2010 and currently stand at 818, which means I'm probably going to beat last year's total of 883.
  • Options

Hi Plodder.

I set a target of 1000 miles, but have had a bit of a nightmare year with injuries, so I'm well off that target now.  Just looking at my log I'm at 574 miles, 100 miles behind last years total, so even that total is too far now!

After an incredibly lazy week last week (partly due to snow & ice, a lot to do with a few other things going on), I got out for 10 miler yesterday - the first 8 miles were just outside 9m/m, the final 2 were disappointing, but a great hill and a lack of fitness should account for that!

I've always cut back my long run every 4 weeks, but not certain I've ever introduced a down 'week'.Need to have a look at my schedule again, but I'm fairly certain its split into 4-5 week blocks, with the 5th week being an 'easy' week.

• Options

Hi all,

Just found this thread and have been reading for inspiration.

I have entered Edinburgh and it will be my 1st marathon.

I ran my 1st 1/2 at Glasgow this year in 1hr 59m followed a week later by the 10.25 mile round Cumbrae race in 1hr 22m.

I wish I had started running much earlier in life (I am 47) as I am really enjoying thw whole thing, although I may change my mind after 26.2 ! image

• Options

Hi SS - well done on entering! Keep us up to date with the training! image

You sound quite similar in pace to myself (1hr 57 pb for half, and 1hr 27 for 10 miler), so it'll be interesting to see how your training progresses!

And you'll love the marathon! I always said I'd only do one, this year will be my 3rd marathon and I'm considering an autumn one as well!!! image

• Options
    I was in Edinburgh this weekend to visit relatives......it was Baltic,lucky to get back down to Lancashire without any mishaps.
    Dave.
  • Options

Hi Movingalong,

I have continued training since the 1/2 marathon and try to run 3 to 4 times a week ( although the weather at the moment has slowed me down somewhat) My LSR this week (and most weeks) was 10.25 miles in 1h 30m. Coincidentally this is the distance around the isle of Cumbrae, which is where I live, the views on my training runs are really quite spectacular and I never get tired of them. Last week as I passed a field around 4 miles from home about 300 geese took off over my head, really awesome.

I am hoping that the Edinburgh will just be my first marathon and am really looking forward to it, unsure though what time I should be aiming for, Iput 4:20 on the entry, I dont know how realistic that will be. I will get a better idea further into training I suppose......

• Options

HI slowhand - other than the baltic conditions, did you have a good weekend?

ShornSheep - perhaps you're a bit faster than me! Especially at the moment, but I'm working on it! image

Jealous of your views - unfortunately most of my running at the moment tends to be on boring cycle paths. Certainly not worth taking a camera!

On Sunday I had another moment of madness and entered a Sprint Triathlon which is in August. Thinking swimming will help with cross-training for the marathon, and then I'll work out how to cycle between the end of Edinburgh and the middle of August! More than just slightly nervous about it!

I was also good last night and got on a treadmill and did an intervals session. Looking at the weather again today, looks like I might be heading back to the treadmill for a 3 mile recovery run tonight.

• Options

Hi All,

Not been on this forum before as I normally only look into the VLM virgins thread but I had signed up for Edinburgh but got into London instead through Clic Sargent! First Marathon for me this year (wife wont let me run both - she's the sensible one) but I have already paid the entrance fee for Edinburgh and the miserable sods wont refund me (even though it's not until May!).

I am going to run the Edinburgh half and they wouldn't even swap over the money I had paid so to cut a long story short I will be out of pocket and have to pay again to enter the half!

I guess most people on here will have signed up but if not and you can help me out, let me know and we can sort a transfer! Regardless, I will definitely run the Edinburgh Marathon next year!

Thanks in advance! image

• Options
    M-Along, Always a good w-end in Edinburgh no matter what,kids could not believe the amount of snow or the size of the icicles hanging from the roofs.So no running for me but with two daughters and my wife I did a heck of a lot of walking.Back to training mode this week,cant wait for Jan so it can kick-in for good.
    Dave.
  • Options

slowhand - whenever I go to Edinburgh I always want to move there. Sure that'll be the case again May!

Miggito - I'd sit tight for a bit, and keep advertising your place. I'm sure Edinburgh will fill up soon and they'll be people hunting for a number.

• Options
    Miggito - LOADS of people do both. I have in the past, and am doing this year. It's no more training, so really it's an efficient use of training. Mention the words efficient, time-saving, making the most of your efforts, saves time in the long run etc -, and you'll be saving money by doing the full. I'm a woman, and those words would work on me. There's time to recover between the two, but not time to lose fitness...
  • Options

Hi all,

Its gone very quiet in here - assume thats because everyones too busy running!!! image

I've been pretty good, getting back into the habit of getting 4-5 runs in per week, and getting my long ones going again at the weekend. Think I'll be all set to step up the training in the new year. Also been regularly swimming which is making progress, and I've bought a bike - thats as far as the bike riding has gone, although there is a slim chance of a ride this weekend.

I've also managed to slot in some xmas shopping in there as well...

Hope everyones well!