Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

Hi Everyone. Thats me signed up for this one again. I did it in 2008 and 9 and this time i am hoping to  improve on my previous times.Looking forward to chatting to you all over the next few months. 

• Options

Welcome born to go slow. Looking forward to it myself. Congrats on 08 and 09 - i did it 04 and 06 then this year again and for some reason (I blame heatstroke) signed up for the torture again - the joys

Hope all had a good (as it gets) Monday. Nearly halfway thru the week already image

• Options
    10 (treadmill in the garage) miles tonight. Feeling very positive about running at the moment. Not sure why but it's a good feeling and long may it last! Looking to go under 4.30 for the first time at Edinburgh (4.50 and 4.30 in my only two previous marathons in 2008 and 2009 at Halstead, Essex). Finished off my training schedule last night. It starts on 17th January 2011 (my birthday!) and includes three x 20 mile runs for the first time as well as some more intense interval sessions. It looks manageable, just hope I'm still as positive on those cold, wet February nights! Have a good week all.
  • Options

Why do we keep coming back?  After my first "never do that again" it was about a month before I decided I'd run it the following year.  That time, a couple of days after "never do that again" and I was thinking about it.  On my third (and last) run, I wasn't even out of the finishing area.

Plodder49, I don't mind the cold and I don't mind the wet.  It's the icy pavements that get me and give me an excuse.  Any chance of a mild winter for those training runs?

• Options

Hello everyone!

catsfather - was walking last night and felt my foot slide at one point (not ice, just really wet pavement me thinks) and then the dreaded thought of icy pavements sprung into my mind image

As for me, ankle has made a massive improvement from this time last week - just every now and then it gives a sharp pain to remind me that I can't return to running just yet - although its getting more tempting by the hour. Definitely need to continue to rest up this week, and then next week could be the deciding week - whether to give another weeks rest for luck, or whether to get out there with it potentially heavily strapped up.

Plodder49 - my schedule starts on the 17th as well. You're not doing one of the plans from the Advanced Marathoning book are you? Sounds very similar.

Happy running all...

• Options
    Dont know about February,just been out this morning for a 10k run and it was cold wet and windy....good practice for whats to come.10 mile race this w-end,done plenty as training runs but never raced that distance so defo a p.b. coming up.Weather to be cold and dry for the w-end so should be a good one.
    M.Along good news about the ankle hope its clear soon.

Dave.
  • Options

Just a quick post to say Edinburgh Shandwich Place Travelodge is currently available for £49.50 for Saturday night and £40 for Sunday night.

Just booked all of my gang into it - completely paranoid I've entered the wrong dates or something, but I've checked, double checked, triple checked and all seems to be right!

• Options
    Evenin' all.

Just booked a very nice looking guest house out by Leith Links. Smashing review on Trip Advisor so that's another section from my 'Edinburgh to do list' ticked off. I'm already looking forward to those hearty Scottish breakfasts, except for race day of course! Booked in for three nights so arriving Friday and leaving Monday morning. Just 4.5 hours from Kings Cross to Waverley.

catsfather - Definitely agree about icy pavements. Any sign of ice or settled snow and it's treadmill time for me.

MovingAlong - I've based my schedule loosely on one of the Runners World SMART plans and tweaked it to suit me while I trained for my previous two marathons. I'm 'upping' some aspects this time round to try and give me the best possible chance of dipping under 4.30.

• Options
    Hi plodder - where are you coming from? I'm heading up from Stevenage which is on the Kings X line - although we've not worked out how to Edinburgh yet.

And like you I'm upping my training this time after my past 2 marathons - but going to desperately try to dip under 4 hrs - but I'll re-assess this aim once I see how training is going, it might be a tad on the optimistic side, but I'm determined!
  • Options
    MovingAlong - Travelling from Dagenham with my other half. There are some really good deals on the ticket booking sites. Can't book anything for the marathon weekend until the back end of February 2011. Based on current advance prices I hope to get us both there and back for under £100. Fingers crossed that prices don't go up in line with the likely increase in demand for the marathon weekend. Can only wait and see.
  • Options

Hi All

Thanks for the welcome Duffs. Well done on completing a Half marathon distance without a race.Thats pretty impressive. I only do that in Marathon build ups or racing a half, so well done.

MovingAlong thanks for the heads up about the travelodge. I have booked a room there for the Saturday night . So cheers for the info.

Good luck all on your training or pre training. I am still on a break from running after doing Amsterdam.Am beginning to feel a bit lazy.

• Options

Plodder - been to Dagenham a few times for the football over the years. We're still deciding between flying, driving or catching the train - it'll simply come down to cost when we get round to booking something.

Born to go slow -  no worries. Managed to get it even cheaper back in 2009, but always happier knowing where I'm staying and something else to worry about. Be sure to say hello if we bump into each other! image

• Options
    Definitely fancy this now, which are the best/cheapest central hotels then please?
  • Options
    MovingAlong - I live in the next road along from Victoria Road, where Dagenham & Redbridge's ground is. They're struggling at the moment but even the bottom three of Div 1 counts as amazing progress for what is lovingly known locally as 'the pub team from Essex'!

We flew up to Edinburgh from London City airport a couple of years ago for an anniversary weekend. The plane was almost empty and we were really well looked after by the cabin crew especially when we told them what we were celebrating. Half a bottle of bubbly on British Airways and the captain's best wishes over the PA system! It's quite a bit dearer now though so we're taking the train. It'll also allow a bit more spending money for a couple of decent meals out and some (but not too much) shopping.
  • Options

Hi Plodder - thanks for that.

Think we're looking at trains as well at the moment, but quite a few other ideas going around as well. Travel for each individual person isn't too much, but when you think about the total for 12 it comes to an alarming amount! I've got relatives in Scotland so do the trip a fair amount.

As for the Digger Daggers, I'm a Stevenage fan, so have been to Victoria Road more times than I care to remember! We're having a great time in our 1st season of 'proper' football.

Got to get through an afternoon of work, and then time to hit the swimming pool. Going to try the WinterSwim challenge this winter - could be interesting considering I can hardly swim!

• Options

Hello all!

Hope I can join in?

Looking forward to my first Edinburgh next year.

When are you all starting your training programmes?

• Options
    First Edinburgh for me as well,will start training prog on 10th jan,but keeping things ticking over until then.
    Snake-hips,dont think there will be many cheap hotels about,Travelodge and premier inn have "specials" where they offer cheap rooms.You may have to go to their websites and register for notice when these take place.

Dave.
  • Options

Hi Sequin and Snake-hips. Welcome aboard.

Snake-hips - see my post on Page 8 about Shandwich Place travelodge being available for £49. Not sure if its still the case - would imagine most of the rooms have gone. I managed to get Travelodge Learmouth last year for about £30, which quite handily had a bus-stop just outside to take you pretty much to the start line.

Sequin - my training schedule starts on the 17th January - 18 week plan.

Managed to get out for a run last night after deciding my ankle not being up to it was just paranoia. Did 0.5 mile of testing it out, before then doing a very gentle (and very slow!) 4 miles with a friend. Felt completely fine all the way. This morning there is a slight ache, but think thats more to do with the ankle getting used to exercise again rather than to do with any existing injury.

Now I've just got to make sure I take things slowly and don't go haring into it thinking I can pick up where I left off! Estimating 2-3 weeks of build up running and then start building up the miles and pace ready for the start of the New Year!

Hope everyone else is going well!

• Options

Hi,  I have entered the Edinburgh marathon.   Last time I ran a marathon was in 2002 - London Marathon.  I did a time of 3 hours 40.   I ran quite comfortably, I did a half marathon of 1 hour 34 in the January before the Marathon.   I havent really run properly since except 2 years ago for about 6 months, I got back to a 46.30 10k but gave up again.  I just started running again in June.  I am now running regularly 4 times a week and swimming once a week.  My last four long runs have been 10 miler.  I really would like to do the marathon in under 4 hours but I dont know how realistic that is.   Not sure how much you deteriorate with age.   When I did the last marathon I only trained 4 times a week, this time I have added a swim.  I am also doing small weights 3 times a week at the gym.

Just getting ready to go out now for a 7 miler with my friend.  we have got to between 25 - 30 regular mileage.  I am 48 years old.  I only started running when I was 34, so not been running very long if you count the break in between.  Really enjoying running at the moment, not sure why I gave it up!

• Options
    M-Along,thats good news,good that you r back up and moving.

Jan,welcolme,sounds like you could do 4hrs,if you put your mind to it you will do it.

Dave.
  • Options

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the welcome. I plan to do base training in December and then start schedule in January. Have just completed Gosport half in 1.41 so a long way to go to return to my previous fitness but encouraging. 1.32 is my PB in a half a few years ago when I was training a huge amount.

Jan I am sure you could do sub 4! 1.34 is a great time for a half.  Good luck with your training- great you have a friend to run with- really helps in the dark winter months.

M- glad injury seems to be healing- hope you continue to feel good.

Don't swim but do pilates and highly recommend it for core strength! Still hurting from the Monday class!

Happy running all!

• Options

Hi Sequin and slowhand,  Thanks for your encouragement.  It has really cheered me up.  The run last night with my friend was a hilly one and she is much fitter than me at the moment.  I was really pleased with how I tackled the hills and I can feel myself improving all the time.  I plan to do a low key race in december of about 10k or thereabouts.  I will let you know how I get on and what my times are.  I am feeling excited about Edinburgh, it is supposed to be a very good course.  I am so glad to be back out running!

Happy running everyone!

• Options

Well done Jan. Plenty of time to get fitter- that's what I keep telling myself anyway!

Sorry if it has already been discussed, but as a newbie to Edinburgh any tips on what the event is like- where to stay, good place for supporters to watch, course etc most welcome.

I have a feeling it has always been hot in the past...so hope for a cooler race in 2011!

• Options

Hi Jan - Welcome aboard! Some impressive times there! I'm sure a sub-4hr is within your grasp and it'll be interesting to see how your training goes in the build up. I'm hoping to run 4-5 times this time in training (have only ever done marathons on the back of 3 runs per week), and I'm do some gym work in my lunch hours as well.

Sequin - cracking time in the Gosport Half there! Well done. I've only run Edinburgh once (2009) and it was my 1st marathon so my memory is a little hazy, but I really enjoyed the course. There are places where the support can be a bit sparse, especially from about Mile 19ish to 23ish (i think!), but then you come into a great little village with people outside their houses (and most with hoses due to the hot weather!). My (now) wife supported me in 2009 and stood near the start and then got the shuttle bus to the finish line and wait there for me - she only just got there before the winner!

As for me, the dull ache in my ankle has gone this morning, so thats got me more relieved - was worried I might have come back to soon. Heading out for a gentle 2 miler tonight to keep things ticking over, and then have a 10k on Sunday - obviously going to just be a run rather than a race. Looking to build up my mileage to be able to make the start line of Bedford Half in about 2.5 weeks time, and then start to re-introduce pace!

• Options
    I've signed up for Edinburgh. It'll be my 1st Marathon and my first time in Edinburgh.
  • Options
    Welcome Abi how long have you been running?
  • Options
    Never really stopped running since school x-country, so at least 15 years. Haven't got any faster though. Only just going longer distance. Previously always kept it within an hour. Each time I go further I'm amazed at what I can do. image
  • Options

I had a rest day today and plan to do a Parkrun tomorrow as long as there isn't any snow! Doing a long run sunday.

I wish I hadn't stopped running Abi! Ran at school and then stopped about 14 until 33! Still making up for it now.  Edinburgh will be my 6th marathon. Was also thinking about doing an Autumn marathon too.

Movingalong- thanks for the encouragement re Gosport half- it is a fast, flat course but  1.41 was 5 minutes quicker than my Solent half, that I did earlier this autumn so I was pleased. Tried the 'Shotblocks' instead of SIS Tropical gel and once I got used to chewing and running at the same time was fine.

What's everyone else's running plans this weekend?

• Options

Hi Abi - welcome! I wish I'd started running at school (or at least had the same enthusiasm for it as I do now!). Been running about 4 years, started out as a bet!

Sequin - no worries on the encouragement! You're running times that I'm dreaming of running - next year hopefully!?!

As for running plans - I'm still taking things a little easy with my ankle, but got talked into doing one of the RNLI Reindeer 10k runs. I'll be running rather than racing, but it also on 'multi-terrain' which may not be the wisest of things for me to be doing! Fingers crossed I'll be alright.

Hope everyone has a good weekend - with or without snow!!!

• Options
    Tomorrow I'm doing the Hayling 10 (miles). As a training run not to race. I've dotted my training plan with events at various distances to keep it interesting and to explore. I'm a bit worried because I've been suffering from ITBS recently. Haven't run since last Sunday because I was in pain after my 1st 10 miler. Have done a little cross-training this week (half hour x-trainer machine Wednesday, half hour rowing machine Friday). And been stretching and doing physio and the dreaded evil foam roller. Any advice? i started a thread about it somewhere earlier this week but on one responded.