Options

Ironman Regensburg 7th August 2011 - entries open 5th July

Comments

• Options

As I'm not at home I haven't had a chance to get permission yet. Plus I don't want to do it, and I might not get permission. I won't have time for the training, am not a natural endurance build. I have to polish my scalp that night and my bike may get stolen. I can't find my trainers and I don't know where Rengensburg is.

So should be up for it.image

• Options

Onboard the Ship of Fools
    Aliaird - Mrs Aliaird say's I'm only allowed to do something in the UK so def not this one....
    Artful Hen
    Barley
    Cona
    Dustboy (50th birthday pressie and Demons to cast out) though I only look 37.
    Happychap
    Happychap's Mate Jo
    Iron Swissbobby

Justin Deegan
    LN
    Liverbird (washing hair during swim stage, so swimming one handed)
    Magnacarter
    Meldy (fingers crossed)
    OrangeCannon
    Purpletrilady
    Rodeo Clown
    Saffers (washing hair during swim stage, so swimming one handed)
    Toucs
    Ultra Ironwolf

Watching the Ship of Fools sail
    Mrs Cona
    Mrs Rodeo Clown
    Schmunks (dependent on date as family birthday around that time)
    which witchimage - think this has been put in the wrong category - needs moving up!

• Options
    for all those newbies who are unsure............crossing the finish line is one of the best experiences ever.........image and the pirate support is unbelievable.....especially if like me you can't take any family with you tothe event.....
  • Options

Aliaird - Mrs Aliaird say's I'm only allowed to do something in the UK so def not this one....
    Artful Hen
    Barley
    Cona
    Happychap
    Happychap's Mate Jo
    Iron Swissbobby

Justin Deegan
    LN
    Magnacarter
    Meldy (fingers crossed)
    OrangeCannon
    Purpletrilady
    Rodeo Clown
    Toucs
    Ultra Ironwolf
    Hope
    Garr

Mrs Cona
    Mrs Rodeo Clown
    which witchimage - think this has been put in the wrong category - needs moving up!

• Options

Hope

Does Garr know he is on the list?

• Options

Artful Hen
    Barley
    Cona
    Happychap
    Happychap's Mate Jo
    Iron Swissbobby
    Justin Deegan
    LN
    Magnacarter
    Meldy (fingers crossed)
    OrangeCannon
    Purpletrilady
    Rio
    Rodeo Clown
    Toucs
    Ultra Ironwolf
    Hope
    Garr

Mrs Cona
    Mrs Rodeo Clown
    "The Bitch" image

SA he probably wont know until he enters but he can blag it anyway - its what usually happens imageimage

• Options
    *shuffes in and lurks* image
  • Options
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

Hope

Don't be ridiculous!!!

My plan is to get him to train by proxy. He's moving in here in a week and he's promised me we'll train together. It's the only way we'll see each other Monday to Friday tbh. He never wants to train when he's got a race to do... so I'm thinking I'll keep it to myself he can train with me and I'll let him know, I dunno.... definitely by the morning of the race!   image

• Options
    Is there a 'maybe come out of retirement list' ??
  • Options
    PSCPSC ✭✭✭
    Lol Hope! That's naughty.

Has anyone considered the irony of about 100 Brits dropping in by land sea and air all sporting the Skull n Crossbones! The older generation are going to have kittens. image
  • Options
    Hope wrote (see)
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

Hope

Don't be ridiculous!!!

My plan is to get him to train by proxy. He's moving in here in a week and he's promised me we'll train together. It's the only way we'll see each other Monday to Friday tbh. He never wants to train when he's got a race to do... so I'm thinking I'll keep it to myself he can train with me and I'll let him know, I dunno.... definitely by the morning of the race!   image

lol brilliant image
    Doozer. wrote (see)
    Is there a 'maybe come out of retirement list' ??
    Yes, its on the list between Cona and Dustboy image
  • Options
    PSC wrote (see)
    Lol Hope! That's naughty. Has anyone considered the irony of about 100 Brits dropping in by land sea and air all sporting the Skull n Crossbones! The older generation are going to have kittens. image
    We need some of these

http://www.directart.co.uk/mall/images/b0313.jpg

• Options

What the hell.  I like a good party image

Artful Hen
    Barley
    Cona
    Happychap
    Happychap's Mate Jo
    Iron Swissbobby
    Justin Deegan
    Lee the Totally-Unprepared-for-this Pea
    LN
    Magnacarter
    Meldy (fingers crossed)
    OrangeCannon
    Purpletrilady
    Rio
    Rodeo Clown
    Toucs
    Ultra Ironwolf
    Hope
    Garr

Mrs Cona
    Mrs Rodeo Clown
    "The Bitch" image

• Options

Lol!!!

It's going to be fantastic fun! image

• Options
    It does need mentioning that beginners shouldn’t sign-up lightly, and have a real think about the commitment required, this is especially the case for those starting from a relatively low base.

Its easy to get carried away with the moment and not think about what a years worth of 10,12,14,16 hour training weeks could mean to your life and how youll maintain the motivation week after week.

The pirate ethos that pretty much anyone can prepare for and complete an Ironman from 12 months build up has been proved time and time again.

I guess im just being careful that no one is walking down a path without understanding what is involved.  Pirates completing Ironman races can almost seem the norm, it doesn’t always come across how much training some people have to put in.

I would insist that anyone can do Regensburg if they put in the necessary commitment, but before you commit its worth understanding what that may mean.  
  • Options
    For Info... I am willing to do a block booking in a hotel for Regensburg.
  • Options
    there was mention about a block booking for entry through tours or something, anyone know anything about that?
  • Options
    Think G and I would be up for that image
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    interesting to see all the new names on there - the ship moves on...

some words of caution for those caught up in the euphoria of it all and before those with relationships commit finally - do make sure that your significant other is on board with this commitment as you are going to become a complete pain in the arse training for it........your world will revolve around the IM, their's won't and it's easy for one of you to go awol in the relationship - who that is will depend on the personalities involved

some of us who have been there have seen the damage this can cause and it can easily lead to disharmony and breakdown.......handled correctly and it's not an issue

so go easy and involve them all the way from thinking of it to doing it - do NOT shut them out of your life and make sure you do other things with them that have nothing to do with the training or event....

for the single folks - just fuck it and go for it!
  • Options

FB I agree totally.   I always made sure I had one day free at the weekend where I did no training (even if life had got in the way a bit during the week too).  It helped keep me sane too.

It will almost certainly be my last full distance so G is behind me 100% (again) image

• Options

Calling Dave Goodfellow - after all that blustering about polishing your head or whatever... you didn't put your name on the list. So I've done it for you image.

Artful Hen - my 'absolutely not' seems to have fallen off image
    Barley
    Cona
    Dave Goodfellow
    Happychap
    Happychap's Mate Jo
    Iron Swissbobby
    Justin Deegan
    Lee the Totally-Unprepared-for-this Pea
    LN
    Magnacarter
    Meldy (fingers crossed)
    OrangeCannon
    Purpletrilady
    Rio
    Rodeo Clown
    Toucs
    Ultra Ironwolf
    Hope
    Garr

Mrs Cona
    Mrs Rodeo Clown
    "The Bitch" image
    which witchimage - think th
  • Options

Quite a few of those "new" names on the list won't be newbies after this summer!

PSC - the pirates have already invaded the Vaterland several times and in July there will again be pirates at Frankfurt for IMDE and again in Roth for the Challenge.

• Options

Barley /FB, I totally agree that we have to fully understand the commitment required etc.  I was kind of joking about the party bit; well, I DO like a good party, but I know the training for this will take over my life.  I'm putting my name down for now, but to be honest, I'm going to see how my running progresses before August, and also how I get on at Bala before I pay up.  If I decide not to, i'll come and support. 

I have been thinking about this for a long time, and i've been trying to think about training routes for long bikes (i.e. cycling to work and bike etc etc), how and when i'll fit in all the longs runs, then there are the swims..... and asking myself whether i'm REALLY prepared to do it.  I could easily say 'No' and I don't know whether i'm being realistic (i.e. I don't have the ability) or whether I need to push myself to say 'yes I can', and commit to the training.  To be honest the fact I even did a tri at the weekend, went swimming outside last night, went for a pre-work run  today, etc etc, is such a departure from my life as it was a couple of years ago that I think 'well, if i've come this far, how far can I push myself'.  Does anyone signing up for their first IM ever think they'll be able to do it easily?  I've got a couple of months to decide, thankfully.  It would be easy to put it off until 2012, but i'm single now, so i've no one else to worry about, which makes me think now is the best time to do these things.  That said, at this rate I may be single forever, so a delay won't matter! image Hmmm, I don't  know..... lots to think about

• Options
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    Its easy to get carried away with the moment and not think about what a years worth of 10,12,14,16 hour training weeks could mean to your life and how youll maintain the motivation week after week.

I first signed up for IMCH almost two years ago after getting swept away by the hype.  I was really committed, but life, health and injury conspired against me and I bailed. So last July I climbed aboard again. It's amazing to think that now,  just over 7 weeks away from my first IM, finally, this time I'm one of those people who's trained all through the ice and snow (and that was just the OW swimming two weeks ago).  You train and train and it seems ages away... then all of a sudden you're cycling 100 miles at a time, doing a half IM without too much trouble, living either in your wetsuit or attractive black and yellow... and it's upon us! Quite a journey. Can't really believe it's going to happen... and I'm very excited.imageimageimage

Aaaarrrrr image
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Hen has hit the proverbial nail.  It's a journey... and IMCH lst year was one of the best journeys  I've ever done in my life.  It's something I'll never forget and never regretted setting out on.

Plus the support of the pirates throughout the whole experience is amazing.

• Options

totally agree with FB about getting partners on board.............on our holidays in easter and whitsun last year.............I left my family at the caravan so i could train............one day was a 100 mile bike ride ...another a 12 mile run... another travelling for 50 mins to the coast to do open water swimming practice...............all whilst leaving the family get on with the holiday.....but all the shorter stuff I did early in the morning before they got up...hard after drinking and eating too much.........

but its a great jpurney image

• Options

like happychap my first IM was a marvellous experience of a years training from a background of no exercise.  really loved it.  i've no idea how people can do an IM if they have a family - hats off to them.

have fun at regensburg, it looks like a nice place for a holiday.
  • Options

Okay, okay......whose the comedian that added me to the list!!? imageimage

fat buddha......you speak a lot of sense young man. image  I'm new to thinking I can do an IM and that thought ran around my head for a while before I mentioned it to my hubby......the response I got was not a great one.image  I'm married with three children so making a decision to do an IM has to be a joint one with the hubby........if it were down to me alone, I would be there at Regensburg next year and fully prepared to put in the time and effort that goes with it BUT I need to have my hubby there with me 100% and right now he isn't.  With the training that will be involved his support is going to be needed to keep this family working and I know that when my name goes on that list, he will be behind me 100%.

He was concerned initially that I would get carried along on that Ship of Fools and enter without having his backing......that's not going to happen.  I am the nutty spontaneous one in our relationship, he is my rock and keeps me grounded and for that I am thankful....we work well together. image 

Fate has conspired to help me along my way though to that IM......I am coming to Bala in June and doing a bike leg of a relay.  I thought perhaps there would be objections to that one and there were alot of "buts" from him.  We talked it through and he is happy for me to go to Bala but he doesn't want to come with me cos it's just not his thing but won't stop me having my fun.  He even said this morning that it's good as I can check out Bala for doing a HIM next year!!!!!!!!!! image  He is coming around slowly but he is coming around and that's the way it has to be if I want to stay as happy in my marriage as I have for the last 19years.

He also knows from experience that if I don't eventually get my own way, I can sulk like the worst petulant teenager ever!! image

I may just leave my name on that list cos I like the way it sits there. image

• Options
    very similar situation to me last year saffers.............My OH was also worried that it would be too much for me with the kids and all...........but one day after a drink he just stated that if I really thought I was ready to have a crack at it then I could.....................and he did support me  ......
  • Options

so perhaps I need to get him drunk one night and bring the subject up! image 

I sooooo want to do it next year but I don't want to fall out over it and we could very well do that.  There were a few heated discussions when I first mentioned it.......I have never run a marathon was one of his comments, so how on earth do I expect my body to put up with an IM.image

I'm glad your hubby came round seren and I know mine has accepted that I want to do it.......but I doubt next year will be my year.image