Options

Ironman Regensburg 7th August 2011 - entries open 5th July

Comments

• Options
    Cake wrote (see)
    image So can anyone tell me how quickly this is going to fill up? bare in mind I'm a muppet and don't know these things. Should everyone enter on the 1st or can you leave it a week?
    Ultra Ironwolf wrote (see)
    Sorry Cake - didn't mean to ignore you. As this year is only the first Regensburg it's hard to say how quickly it will fill up, but going on what happens at other races I should think it will fill up quickly especially as there are Hawaii slots to compete for.
    I would say if you want a guaranteed place you need to be ready to enter as soon as registration opens. 

If you go with the assumption the event jsut getting established you could figure it could take a couple of weeks to fill up.  On the other hand, IM Germany, Austria, Switzerland fill up immediately (within an hour).  Like I said if you want to enter get in straight away.
  • Options
    Ultra Ironwolf wrote (see)

Indeed, saffers - I've said it before and I'll say it again because it's the motto I live by. My Dad told me shortly before he died, he had always wanted to run a marathon and now it was too late for him. I found that terribly sad and vowed never to put off things I want to do until it's too late for me. Tomorrow isn't promised to you.

UIW...that is sad.  Not that my Dad wanted to run a marathon and he always took the mickey at my running, being slower than those Elites image but he was proud all the same.  It was sad that the end came and he had things he wanted to do but just ran out of time.  It definitely had an impact on my way of thinking which is another thing that my poor hubby had to put up with.... image

You Pirates are a great source of info and support and I love the guidance that you give.  I don't feel like jumping on the Ship without checking it's the right time for me and I hear you all and all the advice you give is much appreciated.

• Options

Im new for this year for sure. I got swept up last year for Roth, I had no plans for doing IM it wasnt even on my radar unitl I came on here.

Started training around November and I have to say I wouldnt be as far down the road as I am now without my mentor and would have probably pulled out by now without her help and these forums as I dont think I would have had the right training behind me. 

I dont own any kids so again my time is pretty free and Mrs Rodeo fully supports me with everything Im doing on this journey. Totally agree with all comments regarding other halves there is no way I could train like this without Mrs Rodoes full support (and the 2 hounds although I suspect they dont really understand what Im doing as long as they get a biscuit their happy) image

I think an earlier post mentioned that it was a journey, which I would agree with. Overall so far I have taken alot of enjoyment and satisfaction from my training and small acheivments the swimming being one of the main ones as I couldnt swim before Christmas. I hope in future that we can see some more of the world while taking in some races as well. image

If I can get to the start line of Roth intact then that is misson 1 acomplished for me because I have done the training and the preperation to get ME to the start line of an Ironman and I have the confidence to be there, but it will have been a mini team effort (Me, wife and my mentor) which everyone has to be signed up for and I couldnt do without image

• Options
    Saffers wrote (see)
    You Pirates are a great source of info and support and I love the guidance that you give.  I don't feel like jumping on the Ship without checking it's the right time for me and I hear you all and all the advice you give is much appreciated.

I agree totally saffers - triathlon first entered my radar in 2008 when I had just run my first marathon and was thinking about what my challenge for 2009 would be when I came across the IMF thread and spent the day of the race sofa supporting (in a mostly lurking-type capacity). I could have got swept up into the madness but I didnt even have a bike at that point so I duly got kitted up and tried a sprint out at the start of october of that year. I then decided to do the vitruvian and, although I was fairly convinced i would go the long distance, I wanted to wait and see whether I enjoyed the vitruvian - twas only after the race that I decided to go for it! Personally I would love to join the pirate massive in regensburg and take part in the race but money will be more restricted for me next year and I'm hoping that I'll be too much of a social butterfly to have sufficient time to train!

Lee the Pea wrote (see)

UIW, in some ways i've got no support!!  I'm single, I live with flatmates, but I want to get my own place soon.  I've got no-one to make sure I don't hack off with all the training, but on the other hand i've got no-one to maybe make my dinner when i'm too knackered or don't have time, so that's a downside too.  Being on my own is a bit shit sometimes, but on the other hand, no point sitting at home moping about it, I'd rather get out and do stuff.  Of course I've got friends who support me, but that is a bit different I guess.

LTP I am single, live by myself and, apart from clubmates who I mostly see at training and work colleagues who I have the occassional night out with I'm a bit all by myself down here. I have very little time to feel alone now as am often out just enjoying my training -  and training for the outlaw has given me the opportunity to meet up with some lovely piratey people too! image
  • Options

aha, it's been decided then. good choice! it's fairly likely to be a good race.

i still want to do embrunman. with just smithy for company. wonder if i'll get to see his 'norseman' transition?

• Options
    I think he would show you that regardless of a race if you asked him  image
  • Options
    PSCPSC ✭✭✭
    Lol.

This thread has moved along abit today. Some excellent advice from Coach Barlos and others 3 or 4 pages ago. This is a huge comittment but has some enormous benefits along the way. And bragging rights for ever.
  • Options
    Melifira.... the bike on that course looks amazing.........I seem to be more tempted by the harder ones.but I know that I would never be fit enough on the bike to do that kinda course
  • Options
    WW, we have similar situations, and thought it might have sounded it, mostly I don't feel particularly lonely either. I'm so busy training and being out and about, i'm loving my training, and i've met a lot of new folk as a result, so it is all worthwhile. Whether I do IMR or not, i'll be doing more tris here and there, and will just keep building up fitness & experience. I wouldn't want to stop now, partly because i'd miss the training, but partly because i'd miss catching up with the new folk I know up here and elsewhere. It's all good image
  • Options
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    Thanks EP that would be great, on the flipside if you have any Ironman related questions, training, nutrition, pacing, transitions or anything we're happy to help.

Cheers BB - sounds like a deal.

Jeeez this thread moves fast!

I started training for Regensburg in November, and I completely agree that it takes over everything. I'm not sure how people with family/kids etc manage it  - nuff respect to you all. I'm single so it's much easier for me to get the training in - one thing's for sure, I'm likely to stay single all the time I'm doing this because I don't have time for a social life anymore. In fact, I've become VERY boring, I'm loving it thoughimage

I'm already thinking about doing Regensburg next year (OK, so this is very previous, I know) the thing is, now that I've forked out for the bike, wetsuit etc, I'm going to have to do anotherone to make it worthwhile - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

• Options
    Thats what is good about joining a club,  we get together and everyone talks about their races and training and bike bling ...........

No one listens to anyone else,  just talks about themselves  image
  • Options
    Onboard the Ship of Fools
    Aliaird - Mrs Aliaird say's I'm only allowed to do something in the UK so def not this one....
    Artful Hen - my 'absolutely not' seems to have fallen off
    Barley
    Cona
    Dave Goodfellow
    Dustboy (50th birthday pressie and Demons to cast out) though I only look 37.
    Happychap
    Happychap's Mate Jo
    Iron Swissbobby
    Justin Deegan
    Lee the Totally-Unprepared-for-this Pea
    LN
    Liverbird (washing hair during swim stage, so swimming one handed)
    Magnacarter
    Meldy (fingers crossed)
    OrangeCannon
    Purpletrilady
    Rio
    Rodeo Clown
    Saffers (washing hair during swim stage, so swimming one handed)
    ShuffleB
    Toucs
    Ultra Ironwolf
    Hope
    Garr

Watching the Ship of Fools sail
    Mrs Cona
    Mrs Rodeo Clown
    Schmunks (dependent on date as family birthday around that time)
    "The Bitch"
    which witch - think th

Ohhhh.....That crept out of the cupboard and bit me on the arse.....
  • Options

Here we go, here we go, here we go.......(etc)!!!

Back for 2011.........get ready Kanga, Barley, et al  - and the Conga boys reunion is on

Aliaird - Mrs Aliaird say's I'm only allowed to do something in the UK so def not this one....
    Bedders
    Barley
    Cona
    Dave Goodfellow
    Happychap
    Happychap's Mate Jo
    Iron Swissbobby
    Justin Deegan
    LN
    Magnacarter
    Meldy (fingers crossed)
    OrangeCannon
    Purpletrilady
    Rio
    Rodeo Clown
    ShuffleB
    Toucs
    Ultra Ironwolf
    Hope
    Garr

Mrs Cona
    Mrs Rodeo Clown
    "The Bitch"
    which witch - think th

Ohhhh.....That crept out of the cupboard adn bit me on the arse.....

• Options
    Bedders
    Barley
    Cona
    Dave Goodfellow
    Garr
    Happychap
    Happychap's Mate Jo
    Hope
    Iron Swissbobby
    Justin Deegan
    LN
    Magnacarter
    Meldy (fingers crossed)
    OrangeCannon
    Purpletrilady
    Rio
    Rodeo Clown
    ShuffleB
    Toucs
    Ultra Ironwolf

Mrs Cona
    Mrs Rodeo Clown
    "The Bitch"
    which witch
  • Options
    Kanga pissed is brilliant, we HAVE to get him!image
  • Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)
    Thats what is good about joining a club,  we get together and everyone talks about their races and training and bike bling ...........

No one listens to anyone else,  just talks about themselves  image
    LOL - so true!
  • Options
    Agreed, Dustboy, it just wouldn't be the same without Kanga. Have to get to work on him at Roth while he's full of Bavarian beer!
  • Options

Can anyone suggest a good IM training plan I could have a gander at?  I'm just trying to get as much info as I can before I make a decision one way or the other.  I know I can google plans, but I'm interested to know of tried-and -tested plans.

Cheers,

Pea

• Options
    PM me your personal e-mail address lee, i have one i can send through that is from the fink plan. it doesn't have the drills but does split down the time on each discipline etc.
  • Options

Seren - it does look lovely. some time ago i saw a 30min video of it. might be able to find it again.

Lee - the beginnertriathlete website has a good beginner IM plan which quite a few people have used. the most important thing i think is that you have to actually like riding a bike. if you don't enjoy swimming, biking and running then there's no need to make yourself miserable doing the training. ironman isn't the only worthwhile event in the world! personally, cycling was a revelation to me - i love my bike! but quite a few people don't and that makes it rather hard going.

Has anyone seen Kanga *not* pissed?

• Options
    check out the beginning of the second one. featuring the really weeny alexandra louison and bella bayliss and erica csomer.
  • Options
    Lee I wuold say go with the beginnertriathlete.com one too.  It did people well last year and I will be using it again (with a bit more attention to Melli's advice re speedy stuff and hills) image
  • Options

Thanks everyone.  I'll take a look at the BT plan later. 

Melli, I have to say I have really enjoyed biking since I got my road bike.  I was somewhat terrified of it at first, because it is so nippy compared to my other bike, but i love riding it now.  I've built up my confidence on it, and though I'm still a bit crap on the hills, that's more to do with strength & fitness than anything else.  I did my first tri last weekend, and really loved it, the bike especially!  To be honest if I hadn't enjoyed it, I wouldn't even be considering this.  I'd do the IM for the challenge, but also because I like tris, otherwise I wouldn't bother!  I'm interested in challenging myself, i'm not worried about comparing myself to others, but i'm just trying to make sure i'm not getting caught up in the whirlwind of excitement, and do the IM before i'm really ready.  Cheers for the advice

• Options
    mellifera wrote (see)

the most important thing i think is that you have to actually like riding a bike. if you don't enjoy swimming, biking and running then there's no need to make yourself miserable doing the training. ironman isn't the only worthwhile event in the world! personally, cycling was a revelation to me - i love my bike! but quite a few people don't and that makes it rather hard going.

In the Joe Friel/Gordo book (Going Long?) it says this somewhere - that you've got to really enjoy the bike.  I gulped a bit when I read that bit because, having entered Roth and bought a new bike, I had no idea if I liked the bike that much.  Luckily I do!  I like it more than running these days and looking forward to doing more cycling over the winter just for fun.image But THANK GOD...

And, as for OW swimming - well, that is a revelation!  Now I know why people say they dread having to go back to the pool for the winter.

All in all, when Roth's finished, I can see that I'll still go out on the bike and to the lake for pleasure image
  • Options

Sorry - been out of the office a couple of days but am defo in.

Bedders
    Barley
    Cona
    Dave Goodfellow
    Garr
    Happychap
    Happychap's Mate Jo
    Hope
    Iron Swissbobby
    Justin Deegan
    LN
    MagnacarterMandel
    Meldy (fingers crossed)
    OrangeCannon
    Purpletrilady
    Rio
    Rodeo Clown
    ShuffleB
    Toucs
    Ultra Ironwolf

Mrs ConaMrs Mandel (hopefully...)
    Mrs Rodeo Clown
    "The Bitch"
    which witch

• Options
    we are gonna need a liner, not a ship at this rate
  • Options
    Meli,  were you making up for lost time there?   image
  • Options

OC, there's about 37 racers going to Roth, plus 1 Junior Pirate in the Saturday race and a bunch of supporters.

• Options

I really need some motivation after having to pull out of IMDE this yearimage so I'm up for thisimage

Bedders
    Barley
    Cona
    Dave Goodfellow
    Garr
    Happychap
    Happychap's Mate Jo
    Hope
    Iron Swissbobby
    Justin Deegan
    LN
    MagnacarterMandel
    Meldy (fingers crossed)
    OrangeCannon
    Purpletrilady
    Rio
    Rodeo Clown
    ShuffleB
    Tommygun2
    Toucs
    Ultra Ironwolf

Mrs ConaMrs Mandel (hopefully...)
    Mrs Rodeo Clown
    "The Bitch"
    which witch