Options

TdF 2010

So can Cavendish go one better and win the green jersey this year (and has he learnt not to stick his fingers up at the media when he goes over the finish line...)? How will Wiggins fare? Will the drugs cheats do as well as they did in the Giro? Can anyone beat Contador?

And does anyone know anyone running a Fantasy TdF competition - I'm a little fed-up of hearing about all the Wendyball competitions going on at work? I think it was Cougie's mate used to run one although I think he's given that up now.

Comments

• Options
    After Contador's showing in yesterdays stage of the Dauphine I bet a lot of people slept easier.
  • Options

Still think Cintador is the one to beat again this year

Don't think Wiggo will do as well this year as everyone in the pelaton will be watching him

be interesting to see what Armstrongs gonna do, cant see him winning but pos top ten

• Options
    Cavs certainly gone off the boil a bit this year - so far. I wouldn't write him off completely though.
    I do think that wiggins will find it harder this year as he will be watched more closely.
    Armstrong definitely top ten if he finoshes and probably on the podium.
    Contador should smash it though - apparently he's not used to his new tt bike yet.
  • Options

The smart money would have to be on contador again, depends on how well the other teams gang up on him and if astana can hold them off when they need to........Evans as an outside bet for the podium if he rides smart ?

I'd love to see wiggins up there, but as SA says I think his card will be well and truely marked this year.

Hopefully CAV can get the green.

• Options

Alberto made a right hash of a straight forward TT yesterday, New bike or not he really didn;t look good

Would hate to see an Aussie do well, but Evans is looking good, Can't right off a Shleck or 2, How about Cancellara for a wild outside bet

• Options

So, nobody cheering for Vinokourov this year.....? image  Oh that's right - he'll be 'helping' Contador.

Reckon Cav will still get a couple of stage wins.   Will Geraint make the Tour squad for Sky? - likeable chap - be good to see him there, especially for the time trials.

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Cav's had a shit start to 2010 with dental problems holding him back in training and racing but the TdF will always bring the best out of any racer I reckon......

Contador is still the one to beat imho
  • Options

Contador will win unless he is caught doping. I think his time trialling is very suspect given how much he weighs. Cynical I know.

Lance will get found out in the mountains, but still manage top 5 due to his whole race management and experience.

Millar will complain how hard the race is, constantly.

If Cav's team can give him the same leadouts as last year, I fancy him for 4+ stages even though his form so far this year has been down - but as FB says he did have those dental problems.  Lets hope he hits form at the right time

I wish Wiggins and Team Sky all the best though and hope he can get on that podium!!  GO TWIGGO!!

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    The only question with Contador is his team.  Are they up to the job of supporting him given that every other team will have him in their sights?
  • Options
    BB ✭✭✭

I reckon Cav will be in form and should win a few stages - he should have had the green jersey last year and should go in with a better plan to get it and keep it this year

I reckon Contador should win - would like to see someone else do it though. I am currently near Bourg D'Oisans and will be seeing the Dauphine on Friday and on the Alpe on Saturdayimage Shame so many signed for the Tour of Switzerland but that should be a good race and a chance to see people's frm

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Difficult one to call beyond Contador isn't it - and he has looked vulnerable at times himself.    I could see any of 8 or 9 riders fighting it out for the podium and maybe a couple of surprise packages beyond that.    A lot of potential favourites - both Schlecks, Armstrong and Menchov amongst them - have had their preparation interrupted by illness or injury so hard to judge their form.   

You'd think maybe Farar would be Cav's main threat in the bunch sprints - always had the speed but used to back off when it got hairy - looked a bit braver this year though.  

• Options

is Basso riding it this year, because he was migthy impressive in the Giro, the way he rode away from Evans was amazing.

Evans will never win the TDF, some stages poss but once again top ten at best, doesn't have anyone in BMC to help him out when it gets tough going

Anyone any idea how strong team radioshack is? as thats Armstrong only chance

• Options

Leiphiemer

Horner

Popovich

Rubiera

Steegmans

Zubeldia

Paulhino

Kloden

Impey

Brankovich

and some old fart called Armstrong

• Options

that looks a really strong team

Why do these riders just follow armstrong around when someone like leiphiemer could have a shot of the podium himself

• Options

Horner, Kloden or even Brankovich could all shoot for the top.... as well as Leiphiemer. Suppose it depends on the deal you got when you signed up

I'd like to see Levi given the chance after a couple of days if Lance isn;t doing the business..

• Options

There's a lot of old farts on that team, but still a strong one.  It'll be interesting to see how Bryneel's tactics change from the old days, given that the strongest rider on the tour is racing on another team, unlike the old US Postal/Discovery days.

Shame there's no team TT this year, which would no doubt give the likes of Radioshack & Saxo an advantage over Astana and make things a lot more interesting in the mountains.

• Options

Why do these riders just follow armstrong around when someone like leiphiemer could have a shot of the podium himself

Because Armstrong will be giving up after the Tour this year (apparently he's gonna do Kona next year) leaving one of the open to be leader in future?

I'm with Mister W on Contador - does he have a strong enough team? I think Andy Schleck might be worth a shout, or one of the Radioshack boys looking at the line-up above.  Not sure Cav has the form this year, although the Tour will bring out the best in him.

• Options
    I'd forgotten Paulhino broke his wrist on the Dauphine a couple of days back... That was only my quick list of riders...
  • Options
    The Astana team seemed to fall away in the Giro this year - so that could bode ill for Contador.  Then again he won last year with seemingly his team racing against him !
  • Options

My take is Contador is weakened by the relatively lightweight Astana team.... Armstrong at 38 is too old to not lose lots of time in the mountains, Cav will win a few sprints, but is a bit too headstrong to win overall... IMHO, the overall package still looks like Wiggo.... strong rider with a track record, and a good team around him with a few individuals capable of pushing Wiggo (as shown in the Giro)..

One thing's for sure... its lining up to be a cracker of a TdF!!!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Contador's still got allergy problems I think.  These normally clear up for the tour.  Lucky him because my hayfever never behaves that well!  I'm not sure he needs a really strong team if he's on top form.  Maybe if he had an equal competitor which did have a really strong team then he would.  I guess Saxo Bank might meet the bill or Radio Shack (aka retirement shack on cyclingnews forum).

I wonder how many riders on teh GC will abandon their epo micro-dosing/transfusion plan this year.  From what I remember a few riders last year had steady blood levels during the tour and published their results to prove their purity.  Now Landis says that's managed through transfusions/mirco-dosing.  The giro profiles showed a decline over three weeks in haematocrit levels or what ever it's called.

• Options
    I hope wiggins doesn't end up being one of these guys eliminated from the GC in the early part of the race.  there's always some lower GC guy who has an untimely crash or a slightly bad day.  no one will have cared about wiggins last year.  this year they'll put the hammer down if they can.  good luck wiggins.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Astana aren't a weak team anyway - three Grand Tour winners in there including two Tour winners - they may not be as strong as Radioshack but compared to Sky, BMC, Cervelo or some of the other contenders' teams they look pretty good - especially if Vino is willing to play the loyal domestique - and he does have a score to settle with Bruyneel.  
  • Options

popsider - who are the other two GT winners in astana.

ah, i understand, one second place promoted to first in the tdf06.  who's the other?

it's hard keeping up with the ever changing "winner" of races these days.

• Options
    ah yeah, of course
  • Options

Vino !!!!!!!!

Yeah Well never mind

• Options
    Contador didn't look so good on the Alpe this afternoon, Couple of years ago one attack would have been enough, let alone 9 !
  • Options

yeah, it's the first time i've really seen him look tired!

i expect armstrong is happy to have Jani on the team.  good to see him doing so well too as he's one of the many "next GT winners of the future" who seemed to have disappeared along with danielson, popovych etc