Options

Comrades (South Africa) 56 miles

Comments

• Options

And with a swish of his plastic rain mac he was gone....

Safe trip mr JB image

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Have to agree its getting rather real now. Just completed my 2nd to last run, a nice 6 miler on our hill(ish) 10k route. Felt good and legs seem to getting back to normal after the hammering of the last 10 weeks or so.

So just one more run for me, 10 miles in morning and that will be it. Apart from a club session on tuesday where i will just pootle around a bit and have a chat. Feels quite strange that this is the end of the training. So 23 weeks, 1000 miles. Hopefully that should be enough to get me a medalimage

Safe trips to all the early travellers. Might say hi to Marc at heathrow? And who knows, maybe bump into a few of you on the internal flight from Jburg to Durban.

• Options

Clive, had to lol at your comment re: pens. image.

Pete: hope it isn't the ironman on 5th JUNE!!!! Are you MAD if it is? Will do, but from memory the run (I am assuming that is what you want to know) starts Tenby, goes up onto the Ridgeway (yep, same name, not same as Compton) and along to Pembroke and back along coast. The swim is off North Beach (was cold last year) and god knows where the cycle goes. Let me know if you need any more info.

Fido: I can pay Mbali for you if you want to get some more shut eye. Just let me know.

Carmen: what's todays' plan for expo image.

Like Marty, just done 2nd last long run. Long meaning short, VERY short but weirdly still 'long'  in my head. Every niggle I have ever had has manifested itself but am now unable to tell if they are real of figments of my fertile imagination. Swallowed some aspirin just in case.

Right, off to buy some post BIG run food to smuggle back into Cloggyland and thence into my hold bags for Wednesday evening. Crikey,, what ARE we going to do after next SUnday???

Hope we all re-convene on here post run to share war stories, in case we don't all meet-up in Durban.

• Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Slot - today's plan is as was! cheeky image Mbali says i have to go Thurs to pick up my stuff to get on the bus, so i'll be there Thurs! We'll have hours in JHB to sort all this out anyway!!

Did my last 'long' run - 11km. First 6 were horrific - what's going on?! Also, to all the old hands, i'm assuming even if it rains, it'll still be warmish - or should i bring rain stuff? cos im there for 3 weeks, i want to be carrying too much stuff..

must sort out what to do down there after the run! been called into work tomorrow, which was meant to be my planning what to pack -pick up cash day - oops!

Slot - they have food in SA - what do you need to smuggle in?! im bringing some porridge, some for Goodness Shakes and some lucozade drinks - aside from that, i plan to live off steak and red wine image
  • Options
    So this time next week we'll all be sleeping right? (I think not). Every time I think about the run now I get a tight little knot in my stomach and a hundred things start racing about in my head.

Has been strange this weekend not to run today and only be doing a short one tomorrow...doesn't feel like enough.

Stevie - Glad to hear all ok with little one...our little girl has gone to bed with a cold tonight and we're crossing our fingers it's only a cold and that also neither of us gets it. And neither of the others...will feel awful going away if they're ill but at least my mum's a nurse so would be in good hands.

We can't really make any of the pre-run meet ups but will try to make the Monday lunch time thing. Would be good to put faces to names.

In case I don't post again...good luck to all and thanks for all the good advice and questions. Haven't posted much myself but have learned lots and some of it's helped keep me sane. See you in SA.

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    My runs this week have been terrible. They felt a lot harder than they should have done and were a lot slower than they should have been... BUT for me it's all part of taper madness.

Carmen - it is nearly winter in SA so it can get quite cool in the evenings (sweatshirt/fleece) even in Durban. I've been to Cape Town in June and it can be cold and wet there.

A few tips that I found useful in the past.
    a) try to get your sleep on Friday night - don't count on getting much on Saturday night as if you're anything like me, you'll be completely paranoid about oversleeping and not sleep well. And the pasta party on Friday night can go on a bit sometimes - if you've had enough just go back early to get your sleep!
    b) take a back-up alarm clock and order a wake up call - then you have three chances of being woken up!
    c) when you get your running number don't forget to cut off the chevron strip at the top (leaving the strip on is a message to the photographers that you don't want any pictures taken).
    d) when you pin your numbers make sure you put the one with Comrades 2011 on the front and the other one with your name, country and number of completed runs on the back. That way you tend to get more encouragement from runners overtaking you - who can see where you're from etc.etc. - also it looks better from the front in the photos!
    e) pack everything you need for your run in your hand luggage.
    f) take a old t-shirt to wear at the start.
    g) take a water bottle to get you through the first couple of water stations where it's rather chaotic and pitch black.

Getting really close now...
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    One final thing - if you go on the coach tour of the route and it scares the living daylights out of you, puts doubts in your mind that you'll ever cover the distance etc. etc. don't worry - these are the thoughts that cross my mind during and after the coach tour every year.

I find it useful to be have any complacency kicked into touch and to be reminded about the challenge ahead, that it won't be easy and that it will take a great deal of effort (and some pain) to complete the race.

By all means respect the course (if you don't it will kick your butt!) but don't be overly concerned - there's no need to be.
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Aaaagh! Another Icelandic volcano has erupted!

Fingers crossed that the cloud stays away...
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

i was about to say the same!! latest from Eurocontrol is there will be no disruption 'for the next 24 hours' though Phillip Hammond (transport minister) reckons it wont cause probs - apparently it's spewing out ice, not rock...

waaaaahhhh!

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    You've got to laugh!
    Slotwin - what will we be doing in just over a week - packing for more bloody longhaul flights, that's what. At least work have hauled out a decent laptop for me to take this time.
    Have been printing out tickets, itinerary etc. Packing list is a much loved back-of-envelope affair which has been used all this year - need to find a green pen for different colour ticks!
    Very kind offer but I at least need to get my body used to the early start. Presumably she's taking the wonga off various bods which is why she said the Hilton. (Who else is at City Lodge? SD & me? ).

SD you are right. Long distance races are best approached with a mixture of terror, misery and resentment image
  • Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    PS both running shops in town out of my size of Asics Cumulus so have ordered from Wiggle & crossed fingers image YES I WILL TRY THEM OUT FIRST IF THEY ARRIVE, yes I do know that just because they're my 3rd pair (at least) of that make/model/model iteration, I *still* have to check they're OK, and yes I will pack the ones I have now, as well image
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

FIDO!!! ignore my odd PM i just sent you - turns out , i was ignoring you imageimageimage

no idea how that happened - sorry!!

• Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

I don't want to cause anymore panic - but just saw this :

REFILE-Ash could reach Scotland by Tuesday, airlines warned

(Refiles to chain story to alerts)

PARIS, May 22 (Reuters) - Ash from an erupting Icelandic

volcano could reach northern Scotland by Tuesday and parts of

Britain, France and Spain by Thursday or Friday if the eruption

continues at the same rate, airlines were warned on Sunday.

The warning is based on latest 5-day weather forecasts, but

must be treated with caution because of the forecast period and

the presence of different air currents from those prevailing at

the time of last year's ash crisis, weather officials said.

European authorities said on Sunday no disruption was

expected to European or transatlantic airspace over the next 24

hours from the eruption of Iceland's most active volcano on

Saturday.

• Options

Carmen: ALL of the things you mention. You can't get lucozade in NL for love nor money, and as for porridge!

JB/Sam/Douglas etc: Safe travels and see you in Durban!

Fido: no worries, and indeed.....................

Pete: well done on avoiding Budapest, ahh, the little games we play image. BtW, the ironman route is as I mentioned. I bought the local paper and there's loads about it in there. I will bring it to Durbs with me, but also check out www.longcourseweekend.com, or www.thewalesmarathon.com, www.thewalessportive.com and www.thewalesswim.com, not to mention www.activitywalesevents.com. That should keep you occupied!

Good tips SD, thanks. Another general one from me. In addition to card skimming, SA is the only place I have ever had my hold bag rummaged through whilst in transit, so....make sure you leave cruddy things on top and of course nothing of value in your hold bag at all (they even opened my wash bag etc so it had emptied into my bag when I opened it).

Please god stop that volcano spewing forth.........................

My last 'long run' today was absolute pants. Walking was quicker. I have looked at my watch several times during the day and thought 'crikey, this time next week won't even be at 20/halfway/40/finished yet'. Jeez......but THEN PARTY PARTY PARTY (or more like, crawl to bed feeling ill/dog tired, legs twitching with cramp etc etc)...

Oops, flight just called, gotta go. I'll hopefully be in touch before Wednesday, but if not, GOOD LUCK one and all, safe travels to everyone and we'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when......(but got to post on here afterwards with our finish times to find out who won the predicted time game image).

• Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Guess there is not much we can do one way or the oher about ash clouds so best not to worry about it.

Final 10 miles today - nice gentle pace and felt OK although with all taper runs you do wonder how you will do the other 44 or so! But thats for next week.

Couple of day at work then bring it on.

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    One more tip. Try to get 4 extra pillows so that you can put two under each of your legs to elevate them when you go to bed on Sunday night. I find that it help reduce the pain somewhat...and to stop your ankles looking like Stephen's!

Final 6 miles today - nice run and legs felt a bit better - this tapering malarkey seems to be working!
  • Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    Not in SlowDucks league for tips but my one would be .....be very very careful at start as its dark an dthere are loads of blackbin bags on floor for first mile or so as people discard them....can be very slippy
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Good tip Keith - also that reminds me - keep away from the edge of the road at the start as the "drop" in the kerb/drain area is much more severe than in the UK.

Finally do not run on the white lines - there are cats eyes. Quite often you will find yourself drifting off - especially in the second half - and your natural instinct is to run on the white lines - resist!

Right my backside is getting a bit painful so I'm coming off the fence!

Wednesday 25th
    Slow Duck:Finn:Keith: sueW+a group of 10 from Carnegie Harriers LHR 7pm SAA
    Marty74: Marc LHR 8.30pm Virgin T3
    Carmen LHR T4 Air France 2010
    Slotwin LHR 2120 BA (1910 from AMS)
    Peter LHR T5 1910 BA

Thursday
    marc - 0835. Staying at Hilton. Return Mon 1930 VS602. PLUS PASTA PARTY!
    Stevie - 10:00 - Hilton
    Fizziofinn - 10:00 ( arr) - Marine Parade
    Peter 1115 - Berea
    Slow Duck 1115 - City Lodge - Leave Tuesday pm
    Swayer - 1115 - Tropicana
    Marty74 - 12pm SAA to Durban
    Slotwin 1330 - Hilton
    Carmen - 1500 - Morningside (but will head straight to Expo from airport i think)
    Trinity 1545 - Albany
    Fido2Dogs - 1700 - City Lodge
    Jelly Bean - 1710 - Albany
    Sam & Clive - LHR 2215 Emirates
    Keith - Hilton noon ish - leave Monday pm
    Stephen - dep 2010 LHR (arr Fri 13:20) - Hilton - leaving Mon 15:40

Friday
    Sam & Clive - 1710 - Hilton.....flying out Monday 1840

BUS TOUR
    Slotwin: Slow Duck : Carmen

Expo International Area 14:00 - 15:00
    Slotwin: Sportaloo: Douglas: Slow Duck : Carmen

Pasta Party
    Slow Duck: Keith: Stephen: Malc: Trin: Jelly Bean + Wilkie: Slotwin: Finn; Marc; Carmen

DURING

Silver Surfers
    Stevie - 6:59:59
    Ode- 7.00 (Dream target)-7.29.59

BillyRs
    WarrenK - 7:59 (45023 - A seed)
    Keith 08:45 - 09:15 (21191 seeding C - shame as makes my bib different this year)
    Peter 08:45 (dream) - 09:15 (47902, seeding C)
    Trin 08:45 (49613 B seeding)
    Larry S- 8.59.59
    Sportaloo - 8:59 (31637 Seeding B)
    Marty74 - 8.59 (dream) - 9.59 (20885, seeding C)

Bronze breezers
    Douglas 9:30 – dream; 10:30 – otherwise (12015 – D)
    Slow Duck 9:59:59 (9436 - C)
    Fizziofinn 10.45
    Stephen - 10.55

VickieCs
    Slotwin 11:15 -11:45 (Pen F 12801)
    Sam (Pen G 14013) & Clive (Pen F 30018) 11:00 - 12:00
    Carmen 11:00 (dream) - 11:45 (12287 - G - right at the back!)
    SueW 11.00 - 12.00 - pen H, 12863

Undeclared/fence sitters
    Fido: Malc: JellyBean: Ben

AFTER

Post Race Meet up (open to change) Monday 12 noon Joe Kools - top floor - open deck with a bar in the centre - subject to it being sunny of course!

Jelly Bean: Wilkie: Peter: SD: Slotwin: Carmen: Trin: Fizziofinn
    F2D - Maybe
  • Options
    A couple of questions for those in the know:
    If you wear a long sleeve top for the first couple of hours over your race top, is it ok that you're not showing your number?
    How strict are they with the no advertising on your running kit? My race t-shirt has a logo, will that be a problem?
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Stevie - It's never been a problem in the past - besides it's pretty dark for the first hour or so!
  • Options

What time exactly should you wake up for Comrades?

I normally wake up at least three hours before an ultra, so that I can eat and let my stomach settle.  That's fine if the race starts at 9.00, but if it starts at 5.30, it doesn't leave me with much time to sleep. 

Also, for the purposes of working out the budget, how much does the championchip cost?

• Options
    Hi all,
    Catching up on all the good advice. It will be over this time next week and we should all be in a bar celebrating a momentous day.

Just done some digging around and have found out that the supplied short code SMS number for tracking a runner will not work for internationals.

However, buried on the Comrades website is a web tracking service. You can add up to 10 runners numbers. Just tried and entered my number and friends and up we popped. Just done the same on my wife's iPhone and it all worked fine. The link is:

http://results.comrades.com/Tracker.aspx?RaceId=91&EventId=1

Not run for five days as nursing some niggles. A little worried bu hope the R&R will work.
  • Options

imageFirst things first.....image

Happy birthday to you!

Happy birthday to you!

Happy birthday deaar Carrrmmennnnn!

Happy birthday to you!

Enjoy your day!! image

Right: Excellent, thanks Swayer, as that was one of the things on my 'to do' list (check if nbr worked internationally).

Ben: I'm getting up somewhere between 3.30 and 4.00 and accepting that my porridge will not be out of my tum before I start (or maybe due to 'nerves'.......).

Stevie: I've got a logo on my T too. Plan to pin my union jack over it........

• Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    Think the whole logo thing is much more to do with hi-jack marketing from the elite end rather than a normal nike swoosh or whatever on a normal running vest.
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Carmen! Hope you have a nice day!
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Stevie - sorry only answered the first part if your question. As Keith says normal shirt logos are generally ok but if in doubt, I would suggest that you take your kit to the Expo and seek official confirmation from the CMA. They are usually very helpful.

Ben - I try to go to bed at around 5pm and then get up at around 3:30am...Sorry, don't know how much a chip is these days...

Swayed -hope your niggles clear up.
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Carmen, happy birthday .. this time next week you should be (almost) in Joe Cools celebrating it.  Heard you working yesterday ...

I will get up so that I am eating my porridge at 4am; and hope that it settles before the start.

Re shirts; there were a few international runners in charity shirts etc which were fine, as were logo's.  The issue was more to do with Caps, if you werent wearing the official cap sponsors (last year was Nedback) they made you take them off just before you entered the stadium at the finish.  they made me take mine off, so I just carried it for the last 200 metres.

Please let that volcanic cloud stay away until we all fly out (and home perhaps).  Struggling to concentrate on work ... funny that!

• Options

Thanks for the info on logo's.

I intend to have my breakfast at about 2am and then return to bed for a couple of hours. I'll then just have some energy drink and possibly a bannana before the start.

• Options

Ben: are you sure you didn't pay for your chip when you registered? It wasn't THAT obvious, but does show on some confirmation or other (I think it was 12 somethings ($?)) Anyway, I am sure if you ask at the expo they'll oblige. BtW: I'll sponsor you - I'll give you some cash when I see you. Good cause!

Swayer: hope the niggles subside.

Warren: hope you are warming them up in the Hilton for our arrival!

Jeez: how am I going to survive the next 3 days of work? Not in the LEAST bit interested in it but have to feign it as sadly very busy (and now told have to go to Russia next w/e, so 'at least I get 3 days at home before I am off again'. Somehow I am meant to be happy about that??!!).

• Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

I was trying to pack some things last night ... when it came to race food/gels etc. I wasnt sure how much to bring with me. I think I will probably just buy a regular bum bag and put it in that as my bottle belt hasnt any pockets in it .

How many gels/bars etc are people considering bringing on the run? I know there is a lot of food on offer but the " dont try anything for the first time " strikes fear into my heart. Not sure what to take for that long a race.image

Was awake last night with a pain in my belly and have awful nausea this morning- bad burger last night. Soon to be ex-husband gave them to kids for our dinner as the electricity went in his house and he didnt want to leave them in the fridge......think this might be a form of revenge and retributionimage

PS I thought jellybean was a womanimage