Options

Cardiff Half-Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

I'd  be going straight to the organisers and asking for my money back. 

Everyone who ran yesterday ran a PB over the not often run distance of 12.89 miles (approx).  Unfortunately nobody can claim a half marathon PB from the race and no massaging of times will serve to put this right.

When will race organisers realise that last minute course changes aren't just logistical inconveniences but can ruin months of careful preparation to peak for a race.

• Options

You wont get anything back from them Moraghan... My friend was taken seriously ill and could not run but do you think they would let her transfer her number or defer.  NO they just wanted to know if she wasn't running so they could re sell her place.  So good luck on that one.

I am just gonna right it off as a lovely day, as I had never been there before, I had a nice run with a friend and some nice food after. And I hope to be back next year when hopefully they will have sorted things out.

• Options
    Fortunately I didn't run it, I'd be far more apoplectic if I had.
  • Options

if it is their cock up then everyone who ran should get a discounted entry to next year...

race was good, but too crowded for my liking... still got a "pb"...

• Options
    Message received earlier[b]Cardiff Half Marathon[/b] October 18 at 2:27pm Report
    Thank you for  taking part in the Lloyds TSB Cardiff Half Marathon.

Unfortunately for safety reasons there was a last minute amendment to the Lloyds TSB Cardiff Half Marathon route yesterday. We are currently investigating the impact of this on the route length and timings for runners.

The change in the course had to be undertaken as an obstruction was identified on the official route that resulted in a decision being taken at the last minute to ensure the safety of all runners.

We will let you know the impact of that change when we have measured the redirected route fully.

We are very sorry for this change, and do hope it did not impact on your enjoyment of the day.

Kind regards,
    The race organisers
  • Options

surely they should have been straight out and moved the start or finish line..........can't believe the cockup of races in our city centre year after year...........image

they should ask the parkrun people in to manage it.they manage to run a decent race

• Options

Everyone seems very disappointed by the size of the towel. I think it is an ideal size for a sweat towel to use at the gym. The organisers never said it was going to be a bath towel. I'm happy with mine anyway.

• Options

I must admit, I was expecting a t-shirt, but the towel was most welcome to mop my face with after I had finished yesterday. As you say, a handy size to use at the gym.

I think it's a great idea to move away from t-shirts.  There are always people that complain about the size t-shirt they get, so hopefully including something like a towel (of whatever size) eliminates complaints to a certain extent

• Options

It is so annoying but the real fact is that, NOT ONE PERSON RAN A PB YESTERDAY AT THE CARDIFF "HALF MARATHON" none of us ran the correct distance, so regardless of whether your time was 1 min or 21 mins quicker it means nothing.

On the other point of there being an obstruction and last minute divert, I'm sorry but I don't buy it. The Race Director never left the start/finish area so never saw the course to check it, the Race Referee knew nothing about it - even this morning. They would have known about the blockage before so could have made the necessary adjustment to the course, they could have made a change quite easily within that same mile, they also had no excuse as there were 3 Course Measurers working at the finish area all day so a change would have easily been made.

As far as I'm concerned they are trying to dig themselves out of the ****, I would urge everyone to boycott this event as they clearly are not capable of organising a proper event.

• Options

I have entered next year coz I really enjoyed the race and I am capable of making my own decisions

• Options

I will definately be running again next year too! I'd far prefer a towel to a T-shirt (far too many cluttering up my wardrobe anyway).

It is disappointing that the course may be a little short but I am sure all but the most serious runners will be happy enough to claim the time, or adjust it themselves to give a realistic time. From my own timings and other measurements I have seen it can't have been much more than .1 of a mile out. In fact I ran mile 8-9 far quicker than the rest, where mile 9-10 (where the deviation was) was at my target pace. If it was short then I must have been crawling (which I don't remember).

Sometimes these things happen on a public and it must be difficult to make a decision at the last minute. Whatever they did would not please everyone.During the Great Welsh Run a couple of years back the barrage was raised just before the race start causing a delay. The race is just not that important to some members of the public, and many would not understand why a small obstacle, deviation, or delay would cause a problem. In the past I have been stopped by police for a couple of minutes on a marked 10k course to allow cars through.

• Options
    Actually, I suppose that means EVERYONE got a PB , seeing as we have never run that distance in a race before.......image
  • Options
    Mark Edwards - thanks for being a voice of reason.  I totally agree with everything you are saying.
  • Options
    think a boycott is a little OTT..... cock up aside, ill prob enter again as it was a good run... just hope they re-look at the starting pens to help thin out the crowd a bit...
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Boycott is OTT but it may unfortunately put off what have been described as 'more serious' runners.  Some guys, for example, will have been targetting a sub 75 (sub 90 for the girls) to qualify for the VLM champs start; VLM won't accept times from a race which wasn't the right length and now the people in question will have to scrabble around to try and find another fast half to run - at the point when they may have wanted to ease back their training prior to re-building for a spring marathon.
  • Options
    why would it put people off next year ? do you not think this will only ensure the same mistake does not happen again ?
  • Options
    that wasnt meant to sound arsey - i see your point, but dont think it should put people off next year...
  • Options

Thanks for that insight/explanation Joolska.  As a BOP runner, it is interesting to know the impact on faster runners

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Heard about this race being short via another thread, sounds a pretty big error!

When you train hard for months and months for a certain event, and through no error of your own find your time becomes pretty meaningless it's not on.

Adjust your time yourself? That's like saying oh I ran a half marathon in 1hr 30, that means I've pretty much run a marathon in 3hrs 15. No you haven't.

I was pretty cheesed when Wokingham bungled results by a minimumm of 8 seconds in Feb....lucky I didn't run this one ehimage

• Options
    This isn't the first cock up they've made of this event, how many years of trying do they need to get it right. The organisers just aren't up to the job. My girlfriend ran a "PB" by over 6 mins which put her well inside the 90 min qualifying time for London, but now it was for nothing, as a result the training, the entry fee (or mortgage) and the day have all been wasted. When will you next get such perfect conditions with temperature and basically no wind?
  • Options
    So if they knew the course was short due to the proclaimed health & safety issues from some scaffolding that had appeared over night... (mmm...), then why did they not just extend the out & back on Lloyd George Avenue just before the fish further to the end of the road to make up for another 300m, as the whole road was closed anyway?  Could have been easily done.
  • Options

Stevie G,

I understand that it is important for the serious runners as they can't adjust the time themselves, and I feel really sorry for them. I was just pointing out that for the vast majority of runners it is not the end of the world.

It's not the quite same thing as predicting a marathon time from a half-marathon time as we are only talking about a fraction of a mile here. Even I could have held the pace for that. image

Agreed that it could have been extended quite easily.

• Options
    Well ironically enough my garmin shows up 13 miles but I didn't get a PB though!

I get the feeling that the organisers/city bosses want this event to be 'showcase' event. But 15,000 runners, it just way to much for the course. I still can't believe the daft idea of going through Hayes and the Park within the opening miles of the race. A horde of runners going through that area, all jostling for space and overtaking was a tad worrying.

The other problem I had was a lack of guarded rails to keep the crowds off the trail. A friend told me that he saw a spectator run cross the path but she got hit by a runner and she rolled over a few times.

But anyway, you should get an email asking for your feedback for them. I have submitted it.
  • Options
    I know this is going to sound incredibly arrogant/snobby but one thing I noticed that happens every year with the Cardiff Half is the walkers. Why, what's the point?

I remember when I did it in 2007, at the beginning there was some bloke in jeans and t-shirt standing right next to me. Suggested that he was going to walk it instead of running.

A friend was telling an experience of someone trying to run it but getting blocked by a line of participants walking.

Does this happen at other Half marathons?
  • Options
    can anyone tell me where the race photo's are please?
  • Options
    race photos not ready yet. i think 21102010.
    I hope the race organiser does the decent thing and resign, it aint just the short route it is the very poor value for money. someone is actually making a lot of money out of this race cos they aint spending it on the race organisation.
    How can machen mountain run (10k) organise a run with tee shirt,tea and cakes for £7.50 and make a profit.
    how come they say 15000 runners when only 11000 finished did 4000 forget to turn up or did they fall in the bay, whats going on with the numbers...
    if they get 20000 to run this i think a time of around 2 hrs would be fast as no one will be able to pass each other.
    very disappointed as I paid for a service i didnt receive.
  • Options
    Regarding the scaffolding being 'dumped' late on Saturday - I ran down that particular stretch of path last Wed evening and the scaffolding was there then. I can remember thinking as I ran past it that it would be really dangerous if this was still here on Sunday but then thought they must have planned for this!!!

Re. the short course - it left me feeling cheated as I'd trained hard for this race and as I crossed the line I knew it was short which took away that feeling of satisfaction of having done a PB. I took just over 3 mins off last years time which probably equates to just over 2 mins in reality but even today it just doesn't feel like a real PB.