Options

Cardiff Half-Marathon 2010

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    rowrex wrote (see)

and me , it is one of most annoying things out on a busy course as you are so locked into you little world that you cannot hear people around you. The guy that spat and hit yes hit my shoe was wearing an mp3 player, when I tapped him on the shoulder to point out that he had spat on me he did not have the balls to say sorry.

in other races I have been tripped up by mp3 wearing runners.

I was very close to being taken out by a non MP3 wearing ancient muppet in the last 300 yards of the Bristol half this year, appeared from my blind spot, sprinted right across my path. If I'm wearing an MP3 then I'll look over my shoulder if before making a move. Banning MP3's wont stop idiots from spoiling your race but may make many people think twice about entering.
  • Options

@Nik Bartlett - Agreed

It doesn't stop you enjoying the atmosphere either, provided you get the volume right. I could hear the supporters calling my name out, as it was written on my vest, and I was able to acknowledge them with a wave or a smile.

There may be inconsiderate people who wear mp3 players, but wearing an mp3 player does not mean one is inconsiderate.

• Options
    I don't get the criticism of MP3 wearing. I'm a bit of a newby when it comes to this- Cardiff on Sunday was my 4th Half Marathon and i've worn an MP3 for each race.
    Its not like I have it blasting out music, and I think i'm pretty considerate of others and my surroundings when running. And I always turn it off or down really low for the final stretch (On Sunday from the bridge before the Norwegian Church)for the encouragement.

On another note, I'm even more positive that the organisers will iron out the problems with the start and toilets etc. as a result of the negative press and (hopefully) runners feedback on the surveys. I don't know if its been mentioned before on this thread but I'm surprised that they didn't use St Mary Street again rather than the Hayes- its mostly pedestrianised now and its much wider.
  • Options
    The route has gone down St Marys Street in previous years but since Cardiff Council started its 'Dig Up The Streets To Congest The City' scheme it has been blocked by road works at the Castle end.  I have run the Cardiff half marathon for the last few years and will probably run again next year as it is my local race.  I just hope that the organisers take on board the comments about the congestion and the race will be improved next year.  I ran the almost half 11mins quicker than last year and whilst it is will not stand as a new pb I know I can beat my previous pb and has encouraged me to try to go even quicker.
  • Options
    Andrew- i agree with the above. I PB'd by 4 and a half minutes, so i'm spurred on to do it all again next year.
  • Options

I don't really care whether people listen to mp3 players or not whilst racing as long as they are considerate. 

However I did think it was funny when running down the barrage section of the race to see a girl wearing DJ style headphones! If nothing else they must have been quite uncomfortable!

With regards to the short course, I'm lucky enough(?) for it not to be an issue with regards to VLM etc, however I personally will regard this as a half PB for me, firstly because it was by 7 minutes so even with 0.12 miles extra I would still have got one.  Secondly because I don't particularly care if it's official or not, and if someone wants to know my PB I'll tell them it's 1:37

• Options

My two cents on mp3s.

When training, great, I do it myself on longer runs.

I enjoy races though because I like feeling like I'm part of a running community.  I can't help but think that people with mp3 players aren't interested in being part of that community, because if they were they wouldn't want to appear to want cut themselves off from it with a pair of headphones.

• Options

I used to run races with an MP3 player but I found that because of crowds and other runners I was not even aware of what I was listening to.  It got to the point where I could not remember what the last song was.  It was at that point that I realised that the MP3 player was distracting me from the atmosphere of the day. 

MP3 players are good for training (sometimes whilst out on a long run I need soemthing to keep me going) but during a race there is so much else going on that you don't need an MP3 player.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

... and in the tradition of all good threads, descends into an MP3 debate ...

• Options
    I like to take my 42" wide screen television on long training runs with me-I find just listening to music a bit dull.
  • Options
    i bought an expensive 13.1" screen from cardiff and when i got home realised it was only 12.9" hows that for a con!!
  • Options
    Ha ha-I like it-did you feel you'd been 'short'changed-I'd have thrown it from some scaffolding if it had been me image
  • Options
    Not sure what this says about me, but I rarely train with an mp3 player, but always wear one for a race! (although I don't always use it)
  • Options
    Juat had an email with link for photos. God, they're bad. I am not even in half of them and the ones I am in you can just about see an arm or leg or top of a head.  Is it just mine that are bad?
  • Options
    the video piece looks like the cameraman was filming from north devon! theres only 2 pics of me image perhaps its my west brom shirt that put the photographer off.
  • Options
    I look absolutely gorgeous-tall, willowy...oh, hang on that's not me image
  • Options

My pictures are quite good, and I never saw one photographer. I don't get why the prices are in US dollars though.

Next year I'm going to run and extra half mile after the finish. Just to make sure I get the distance.

• Options

Hi All

Just to let you know that this morning I measured the actual course that we ran last week (I am a qualified Course Measurer). I tried to measure as close to the racing line that we had last week, but there were a few parked cars this morning.

The course came out as 12.89 miles, which makes it 338m short, there would have been thousands of people who actually ran shorter than that from all the corner cutting that was going on, and from what I saw on TV there was lots of course cutting going on in the park as well.

• Options
    Looks as though there were problems with the Birmingham Half yesterday too.