Options

The SNOD ultra runnig thread

Comments

• Options
    fr..im not doing a 100 as a training sesh for a 100! one 100 will be my lot. and no fellsman..it doesnt float my boat so to speak...no i'll be probably flinging it and/or maybe cateran trail, maybe doing st cuthberts way as a little adventure, then recceing the 100 over 3 consecutive days as a little holiday plus a few build up smaller things..hows that sound..im loving it
  • Options
    BritNickBritNick ✭✭✭

Thanks for the pointer to the alternative thread, sz. Good call fr for setting it up. It wasn't right our hijacking the SNOD thread so much. I hardly posted but always felt guilty.

I started to look at the L100 road book last night and started to update last year's Tracklogs map. The guided recces of over 1 year ago came flooding back. It's nice to see more checkpoints in real buildings instead of tents and Land Rovers.

• Options
    I don't feel guilty BN - in fact it was reading some of the stuff you Ultra nutters were doing on the Snod thread that inspired me to have a go.
  • Options
    Fellrunner wrote (see)

So I figure the Boggy bit`s are going to be good and moist  this coming weekend, and the crossing of the Becks should be Interesting , I am glad my choice of running shoe is a quick drying one (i dont use sealskinz can`t be arsed with poncing around trying to stop water getting inside them, my attititude is, water to cross then get it done as quick as poss, usually without taking the risks associated with slippery rock hopping.

on the subject of which there appears to be an interesting development on the Hardmoors 100, in that they are proposing to allow experienced runners to go Unsuported with one bag drop, I have not checked my Diary yet but all of a sudden the Hardmoors 100 seems very appealing.

Like you EUPH I have commited Pen to Paper and for my part at least come up with some startling results(some things are best not done IMO) I hope the dress rehersal went well .

I have same approach to crossing water FR, having done a lot of winter (sometimes summer) long runs in watery places such as Ilkley moor, west yorks and peaks the last few years I've got quite used to having wet feet for hours. Can't see the point in waterproof socks and as goretex trail shoes for reason you mentioned. Seems like overcomplication, though on the other hand I'm all up for "gear" technology when I deem it useful.

I could be interested in Hardmoors 110 again. Though I guess I may lack the experiance, one for future thought.

My pen to paper ended up being a list of hours and miles done per hour. Very rough and rounded to nearest whole mph, varying depending on day, night, section climb and stage of event - though only two numbers used (you can probably guess what they are image) so not massively scientific. Doubt it'll be accurate, but felt reassuring to do it. Also trying to figure out how much food and drink to carry. Came out with not much as CPs sound well stocked with stuff I can eat, but may be nice to have a treat during those 10m stages and, of course, emergency.

Did just under 15 on Saturday over a few hills, happy with pack and identified a few niggles I'll correct for day. Not really enjoyed as kept dwelling on aforermentioned pacing and food thoughts. I'll be using OMM Adventurelight 20 pack. Two bottles in side pockets but tilted forward so accesible. pack is bigger than needed so compressed it down and is very light material so no issue there.

Yep, i'm enjoying this guilt free, ultra, offroad, indulgent posting image Welcome aboard Nick.

SZ - result on the fishing, maybe a useful skill for a long ultra in lakes?

• Options
    Fellrunner wrote (see)
    Fellrunner wrote (see)

I will also carry the minimum amount of calorific food i know i will need to fuel me round using what i find at Cps as a bonus

and not forgetting whatever you can forrage in the hedgerows fr!

(btw thanks for that..all in hand)

• Options
    my feet were soaked early on on saturday..and remained that way
  • Options

I felt gutted for Schleck, but "those are the knocks", like you say FR we wouldn't do the same other than if somebody had a serious injury. I wouldn't stop if my rival needed to tie his shoelace (as close a comparison as I can get between running and cycling). As Chris Boardman said if he'd had a chain guard it probably wouldn't have happened, all for saving about 50gram he's probably lost the chance of winning entire event.

I do love TDF, I guess its the sort of multi-day endurance event that appeals to posters on this kind of thread. Love to see a running event get same exposure... that wasn't a road marathon.

Think i know which river crossing you mean, from weekend before last, they were pretty overflowing even then.

Don't forget you can get a dropbag dumped at Dalemain (~60m). I think I'll be putting something in that "to look forward to".

• Options
    nothing extreme either way fr..bob on then
  • Options
    Not with you on that one FR - There is a long history of gentleman's agreement in the Tour. Contador knows this well. He showed he is scared of Schleck by taking advantage of an obvious mechanical slip on ground that was impossible for him to correct quickly. It was very much 'Mano Mano' at that point. Then he claimed not to have seen the obvious mechanical issue. (He should be a football referee) Two things, - if you think it's the right thing to do at the time - then take the boos as well as the cheers. Secondly don't lie to cover your embarrassment. Schleck still has a chance and good luck to him. If Contador wins he will always wonder whether he could have beaten Andy in more style. Imagine if he had waited and then still beaten him on that day - THAT is winning in style.

Meanwhile I'm off to try and rescue my world, which has just gone a bit pear shaped. Although difficult, I'm still trying to get to the race start line.
  • Options

It's a long way to go, Contador most likely would have won it without issue - now I hope Schleck wins it with riding power - not because Contador's Mechanics make a cock up or a dog in the road. It's like the old fashioned gentleman's fight, One gentleman knocks another gentleman to the ground. He then allows his adversary to get to his feet and defend himself before the fight continues. These days you get knocked down and then you're kicked immediately in the teeth. That is the modern way of winning.

Trying to create my own luck FR

• Options

"I believe the Tour will be decided on the Tourmalet - the first guy up there will also win the Tour,"

Schleck

• Options

Contador stated: "We are big friends and that won't change because of what happened."

Schleck added: "Sometimes in a race things like that happen but now we have settled things with each other."

I'm thinking it'll be settled after the time trial on Saturday

• Options
    Fellrunner wrote (see)

Any lets get back to this little trip we are having in the Lakes this weekend, doe`s anybody know what phase the moon is in?, it would be great if it was a full moon with clear skies (Dream on )

Yes, but looking at the forecast a full moon as well may be riding our luck image Though I'm sure I had night conditions as such on one of my recce weekends - priveleged.

Whether "gentlemans agreements" should be honoured or not, its a good climax to the mountains in the offfing.

steve-zodiac wrote (see)

It's like the old fashioned gentleman's fight, One gentleman knocks another gentleman to the ground. He then allows his adversary to get to his feet and defend himself before the fight continues. These days you get knocked down and then you're kicked immediately in the teeth. That is the modern way of winning.

Why I run and leave the fighting to others image Hope you get sorted to be on the line, concentrated and ready for midday Saturday. I expect to see you fly past me sometime early afternoon, assuming i get to Dalemain by 12 that is.

• Options

Mentally I douldn't be having a worse week, whether I can make the start line depends on one or to things that are happening at work - There again working where i work doesn't look like it has a future (I've just found out) so may be I'll be at the start line come what mayimage

DE I hope to be running past you, but I'll stop if your shoe comes off for sure

• Options
    Looks like I'm back on the startline againimage