Options

MBNA Chester Marathon

Comments

• Options

Hahahaha I won't  image

Have a great run!

• Options
    nikki, double ur half marathon time and add 20 minutes. But err.... Expect pain when you hit the wall and it will be a case of mind over matter. You will be telling yourself never again! when your running but i can guarantee you will hav signed up for your next one within a week image -how true is tht!?
  • Options

Thanks!  I am trying to prepare myself for "the wall" but I haven't experienced it, so I have no idea what's gonna happen!  Preparing for the worst, lots of gels tucked in to various pockets / waistband. 

Double plus 20 mins - is that a good guide?? (puts me on target for 3 hours 30) I have had various ideas of pace / times given my members of my running club - but I am really terrified of going off too fast!  (a bit of a cautious runner if anything image ) HM PB is 1 hr 35 at the GNR a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck to you too if you are running!!  I am soooo nervous now!

• Options
    yes niki, thats wot i was told and it worked out exactly for me, but you do have to put the pain and effort in when you go through the barrier. It might come quickly or slowly but you will experience it, dont be fooled into the false sense of delusion half way round that your going to smash your expected time by 20 minutes. Did u see a big wolves flag/cape run past u on the GNR?
  • Options
    aim for a 1.38 half at chester
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    NW - If you're HM PB is 1:35, then I think 1:38 is going to be way too fast for the first half on Sunday. A really good HM-M converter might aim for 1:40 but I'd say 1:45 is more sensible, so long as you've done the training. You need to at least aim to try to keep an even pace all the way around - whatever you gain in the first half by going too fast you'll more than lose in the second half. And, while fatigue and a certain amount of pain is unavoidable, "the wall" is absolutely not inevitable ... if you run to hard, you'll burn up your carbs ... but if you run aerobically, you'll use more fat stores and survive. If you've going to push the pace, aim to do it in the last 5K not the first.
  • Options
    obviously everyones advising completely different times - but the main thing is that you are running at a comfortable pace, do not get out of breath before you've hit the wall. U need to have done a half and felt like it was only a warm up.
  • Options
    Bit gutted with my lack of training over the past few weeks as I have barely ran. I have been diagnosed with mortons neuroma on my left foot. It effects the nerve between by 3 and 4th toes on my left foot and basically left me struggling to walk never mind running!

I have been managing it with the shoes I have been wearing and took a weeks rest which have helped.

Did a 4mile tempo on Sunday with no ill effects but don't want to push it and aggravate it for Sunday but at the same time want to keep the fitness up.

So hopefully will manage to get round on Sunday with no ill effects but don't think it will be a PB.
  • Options

Hi all

Welcome Niki madness plenty on here!! Good time at GNRimage

Just been for my last torture I mean sports massage before Sunday, all wellimage

• Options
    Thanks MrP I love chips we are now booked into Carlucchios so there
  • Options
    hey goldbeetle, ive booked a table there too image it looks good....
  • Options

Thanks peeps for all the advice!!!  I know everyone has different game plans but it's good to get advice from you more seasoned pro's!!  My aim was to run somewhere between 8 and 8.10 min miles and see how I go, and adjust if necessary after 20 miles.  Fingers crossed.

Am already thinking "I'll never do it again" however I suspect in reality I may be planning my next one this time next week.  (Don't tell the hubby image)

I don't remember a big wolves cape at the GNR!!  Take it that was you!!!!  To be fair I am usually completely oblivious to everything else going on, get in the zone and there ain't no distracting me!!

Once again good luck to everyone and hope your injury holds out Brian.

4 more sleeps OMG!!

• Options

So, that's that. Training all done. My planned 4 miler became a 5.5 miler, and almost became a total disaster after I turned my ankle on a pice of rubble that I didn't see on the pavement.

I carried on, but will just have to wait to see if it swells up. I'm not that worried as I managed to carry on going, but what with all this taper madness and paranoia going on, I don't know what to think at the moment.

Time to pin my number to my vest and pack a bag. image

• Options
    yes you're right niki, everyone has different game plans and tactics, it all depends on personal preference and ability, mine is to hit the 18 mile mark around 2 hours without pushing too hard.
    Yes i ran it with a huge wolves flag around me, im presuming i passed you at some point, but jeeez ive never seen so many people in my life, i think i passed 10-15000 people as i started mid pack and ended up 409th passed the line. Would love to do that run again
  • Options
    We usually have brunch at Carlucchio's in Chester on Saturday, It is really good
  • Options

Despite my ankle still causing me some problems my GP has said I can run ! He said I may need an xray afterwards if its still a probelem but to take it easy.

Its been so annoying as I have hardly trained in the last 3 weeks and not sure how my ankle and the rest of me will hold up.

As its my first I wonder if its normal that you feel confidence for running the distance ebb away by the hour?

Up until my last run I was 100% confident of finishing but now the distance is starting to worry me despite my last long run being 22 miles in 3 hours 10 mins. 

Good Luck everyone - just 3 days 13 hours and 28 mins to go - eeeekkkk!

• Options

To the guys who havent run in a few weeks - dont sweat it - youve just had a long taper and as long as your training was upto par you should be ok - just review your strategy every 10k on race day and adjust if necessary  so you are confident you can finish. Dont doubt the training!

Dont knock Sealand Fish and Chips - Top chippy!

I have a 1.38 half and am goinf for a 3.15 so it fits the 2 xhm & 20 quiet nicely.

Bumped todays run till tomorrow am so I can get used to running in the morning again, not long now. Taper fever is taking hold of this forum.....

• Options
    has anyone pumis stoned their toes in preparation for a marathon? Mine are sore now... I hope theyre better for the weekend!
  • Options

mennania .... are you sure you got your calculations right ? ?

I got 1:37 in the Chester half and will be happy with anything under 4 hours but maybe should be aiming for 3:45

• Options

Kevin - Well spotted it was a 1.28image   I think that 3.45 is a pretty safe conversion if you have built your endurance up. Mcmillan which is a pretty (some would say over) optomistic convertor has you at sub 3.25. A bit late to be thinking of knocking 15 mins off int it?

Matt - Just finished shaving me feet so they are sorted in time.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Well I got a half PB of 1:23 and will be well unhappy with 3:06image Shouldn't need to allow 20 mins as long as you have built the stamina over long runs. I hope!!!

kevin- I ran 3:14 in the heat off of a half of 1:32image

• Options
    wow great to see it getting busy here, i plan to run tomorrow night a gentle 4 miles or so.
    Re food- agree just continue eat healthily , i love my morning porrige, and its pasta for me friday & sdaturday nights- just cos its my traditional pre mara ritual.
    i'll also take loperamide Sat night & sun morning - i know my system !"
    will still be in loo queue!
    I like the suggestion of crisps for salt - love them.
    re race fuelling - i'm using my tried & tested 6 high 5 gels , 3x caffein , 3 plain alternating every 4miles or so mile 5 to 22, , & either carry 500ml hand though water bottle or collect water.

Re tactics as mentioned - i'm aiming IF all goes well to go for 4:15 but as its only 14days since my last marathon (Berlin) & i havenet done them closer than 5 wks before im not sure how it'll pan out . The old chestnut or a 20mile warm-up for a very tough 10k holds true. Very important go off slower than you think, esp 1st mile or 2 when you'll be sooo excited. I dont hit the wall physically now - due to good gels- before gels - i was so exhausted at mile 18 or so. Now its more of a mental thing- i know i'll be kn&&ckered but at 18 mile plus - its a question of keeping the focus going, then for the Aldford to Chester 20-24 (slight rise at mile 24 , 40ft a/c to my garmin; say after me - hills are in the mind).
    Most of all - enjoy , its a great city, and the route looks good, lots of flat, and lots of rural, and a few villages where there should be support, before we return to the city , where hopefully there'll be lots. Happy tapering
  • Options

I think the 20 minutes rule is pretty accurate around the 4 hr mark, quicker people will probably add 15, slower perhaps 1/2 an hour.  I ran a 1:36 half in May, and my mara pb is 3:33 so it bears out for me, but not this time, the three forty's I reckon.

Men I'm not knocking Sealand Chippy, or Southview, both very good!

• Options
    mile 24 is that sandy lane? I dont think i've tried high5 energy gels, i only have the sis gels.
    Yes ur very right, u cant let the atmosphere get to you and start off with 5 minute miles (unless you do normally run that fast) or u will be dead by mile 2!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    jason d wrote (see)
    kevin- I ran 3:14 in the heat off of a half of 1:32image

Or double the half +10 mins in 80 degrees if you've got the stamina in your legsimage. This is why I've been running big mileage in the build up.

Think that it can vary anywhere between around double the half+ 4 image to double + 20

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

What's a chippy, by the way?image

mr44- SIS gels are great- don't try anything new on race day.

• Options
    i'll b running around your pace jason, what time are you looking for?
  • Options

Re race fuelling - Advice is body can only take 60g of carbs on per hour - which equates to 2 gels or one gel topped up with an isotonic drink sipped over the remainder. Any more wont get absorbed. I use sis and high 5 gels - they are both isotonic and dont give me cramps when running. I dont use the caffeine sort but will try on my next lsr after the race to see if it benefits me.

• Options
    yes Sandy lane into Chester city is mile 24, the mile numbers were painted on road when i ran on saturday image
    Jason - dont you use chippy as short for chip shop ?
    i was struck when i lived in Barley for a while that they pronounced chip shop - as something like 'chip 'oil' image
    mmm chips ?
    then pasta
    then Sunday Guiness and CURRY ??