MBNA Chester Marathon

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    mr- I'm hoping for 2.55 - 2.59. image
  • Options

Hi all

half marathon 1hr 57 - 9 min miles was planning 10 min miles on sunday to make sure i complete.

but now want to push myself a little quicker, does 9.30 min miles seem ok?

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    WR- chip shop?image I'm an affleet, mateimageimageimage
  • Options
    addyladaddylad ✭✭✭
    Good luck for Sunday everyone! I would be down but I've got my long run at the same time. Annoying because it would've been a nice race to come and see. Although I could possibly switch my long run to Saturday instead...
  • Options
    Hi Dutchy - it depends on what you ve comfortably run your long 18-20 milers in . My half time is about 1:48 but i'm aiming for 9:40 ish pace
  • Options

hi wrexhamrob

they have been round the 10 min mile mark, but dropped when i done 22 miles.

i need to give this some thoughtimage 

• Options

dutchy - maybe break it into 4 10k sections and see how you feel at the end of each. If you have trained around the 10mm mark I would definitely start out at that and then review at 10k, 20, and see how you geton.

Jas- Get some proper chippy chips inside yer pal, gotta eat em out of the bag tooimage 

• Options

Sounds like a good plan mennania will give it a go thanksimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Men- Chips for Sunday lunch maybe!image

Forgot to mention- My schedule says that I should have done 9m with 2.5m at MP tonight. The weather (howling gale and lashing down with rain) led me to decide that today would be my first rest day since Sept 6thimage  - well I am tapering!

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    going to compos chippy at Holmfirth on saturday as I do every week and eat in setting of down to Chester about 4.30pm Saturday
  • Options

Jas - 9miles on a taper? seems a lot this close in, a good one to dodge me thinks!

All this food talk is making me hungry image

Carbo load starts properly tomorrow - will be sick off food by Sat lunchimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Men- agree- although they would have been slow except the 2.5. 6m tomorrow, then 5m Fri and 4m Sat left for me- all slow (8.45-9.00) and just turning over the legsimage
  • Options
    jason d, u seem a much stronger and steadier runner than me, i'm sure you'll be passing me somewhere around the halfway point! (but i hope a miracle happens and i somehow manage to run a sub 3) Although if we do get some light rain after the halfway point that will be like heaven - hope the weather is gud!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

MR44- best of luck with it- and agree totally about the weatherimage

Guys- wise words - and a few myths dispelled about carb loading here

• Options

I'm not much of an eater in the morning and did all my 20 milers in training after having a decent sized bowl of Rice Krispies. Is there any reason this would be a bad idea on race day?

• Options
    no gary, stick to the tried and tested. I used to be a cereal runner, im now more of a toast runner so i'll be taking the toaster to the hotel with me
  • Options

Interesting read there jason about carb loading, thanks for that - have book marked that. Think I'll try and a bigger lunch than dinner on Saturday.

4 miles easy tonight in the rain - just like old times.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Sunny, no wind and cool here this morning. Could do with this on Sundayimage

3 more sleepsimageimage

• Options

Starting to get really paranoid now that I will not have it in my legs.   Ran 21.5 miles 3 times at about 3 hrs 10 mins so keep telling myself I will be ok.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    image fear not ... it's just taper madness.
  • Options

JAs - Thanks for the carbo thingy - I am surrounded by a host of fig rolls and malt loaf and raising and bagels and stuff at the mo, am just gonna cut out the crap, graze and eat a bit of pasta between now and dinner on saturday.

I aint looking at the forecasts until sat. They haveny got a clue - The range has gone from winds of 20+ and 8 degrees to winds of 8 and 20 degrees. 

Garmin wouldnt find satellites for my full 4 mile run this morning image, will try again tonight.

I think its caught taper fever tooimage
  • Options

Spen71 - you'll be fine with those long runs behind you.

My wife has got a full blown cold at the moment and unfortunately I'm having to avoid her image.
    Luckily she understands image.

4 miles for me last night (easy ones) and probably just 3 tonight. Must remember to get to bed earlier over the next few days. image

• Options
    matrichards44 wrote (see)
    same here mark, my main aim is the sub 3:10 for London GFA time reasons, but if i manage even a second under the 3 hour barrier hour it will be like my birthday and xmas all at once image

Well i'll be in a navy blue San Domenico RRC vest with red and white hoops in the middle of it. I'd be more than happy for the company around the course! Sub 3.10 is the minimum i'd be happy with but with a 10k pb of 35.04 set 4 weeks ago I should be able to go quicker.

Just out of interest, for those aiming for a time between 2.55 and 3.00, what time are you aiming to get thru half way? I have 1.28.30 in my head at the moment, although under 1.29.30 will probably be okay depending on how hard it felt and how much I feel I have left. I'm not risking going out in 1.25-1.27 as I will regret it in the last 10k. A lot of my long runs were done as progressive runs where I upped the pace in the second half, so I think for me this will be the best way to run under 3 hours.

• Options

you have the same sights set as me then, although that is a cracking 10k time youve set there! I'm looking at a HM time of 1.28-1.29 although i am intending to do a slower second half. So if you see  me it should be on the first half! i'll put a pic up of my running vest....

• Options
    Matt and Mark - there is a wide held belief that the second half is slower than the first half and the organisers are not anticipating many negative splits. But given that this course has never been raced before I guess we will find out for sure on Sundayimage
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I will be the tall bloke with pony tail wearing a FETCH vest - say hello. image

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/430220/Gallery/small_JTLT0243.jpeg

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi Mennania - have you decided on vest colour yet? 
    Gary O'Connor 3 wrote (see)

I'm not much of an eater in the morning and did all my 20 milers in training after having a decent sized bowl of Rice Krispies. Is there any reason this would be a bad idea on race day?

Gary, I did Nottingham last month, and "decent sized bowl of Rice Krispies" was my race day breakfast!  Easily digested, and more than sufficient if reasonable carb-loading done in prior days.