Options

MBNA Chester Marathon

Comments

• Options

‎21.5 miles this morning in 3 hours 19, crap time but considering it was run with a sore calf and down the Mersey Way on loads of mud, sand, and bricks (!), Kept myself entertained again with marathon talk on my ipod.  Hopefully Stratford will be easier than and off road long run.  Furthest distance ever run too.  Very happy

• Options
    well got 1h 14 at the Latic Acid test 8 mile at Stalybridge mix of paths tracks and even the top of the moors very tough took it easy on the start of the downhill as it was very steep
  • Options

JR- that time sounds fine for a training run....image

Compo- well done on Stalybridge

had a bit of a c#ap week- lots of stiffness still following last week's hilly half- managed an interval session of 1 interval on Thursday before realising that legs were too tight to risk running faster- gonna get a massage this week to iron things outimage Managed 16m today (cutback weekimage) with 1st 11m @ 8.07 av and last 5m @ 7.25 av

• Options
    3 weeks to go to Spen 20 hoping for 2h 30 and this is not flat at all
  • Options

Thanks Chris

First marathon was London in 2009 4 hr 2.Did 3 marathons last year Edinburgh 4 hr 02,Notts 3 hr 59 & Amsterdam 4 hrs 3mins.Hoping for 3 hr 58 at chester.Also running windermere marathon in May.Might squeeze in notts marathon again in sept before chester.

• Options
    my first marathon was Blackpool 2004 where I manged to keep running for 22 miles then walked/jogged to the finish in 4h21

doing ANOB marathon in north Devon last Sunday in June
  • Options

Chester Pigelt - Welcome to the thread, looking forward to reading your posts as your training develops, lots of encouragment & advice (some useful!!!) on here. 

CJ - Gadgets are fab, certainly add to the motivation.  I'd be lost without my Garmin.

John R - Congrats on the LR, don't worry about the time, its all abou getting your legs us to time running & training thebody to burn fat, plenty of time for speed yet & anyway you will be surprised how much faster you can run on rested legs.

Compo - Well done in LA race, you certainly seem to like your hills!  How many marathons have you run?

David B - Wow you are already a serial marathon runner, am sure with the right training that you will  comfortably beat your 3:38 target.

Just under 8 weeks to go before London, bagged my second 20 mile run yesterday, legs were tired for the last 4 miles.

• Options
    chris - whats your target time for london?

cheshirejogger - get yourself a garmin/timex asap. best gadget ive ever bought.

lots of injuries/niggles around image
    easy 8miler for me tonight

• Options

TH  -  Not sure yet re target time for London, would like to go sub 3:30 though

Track session for me today - desperately seeking some speed - will report in later image

• Options
    will be watching London marathon on TV
  • Options
    Compo - I'll wave at the cameras then !!!
  • Options
    Chris/Andy: with still 7mnths til Chester mara, what's the best advise re 20mile lsr's. Having done a 2:30hr lsr already I could be upto 20m in a few weeks, but would my legs still be fresh if I continued doing 20m lsr's all summer, or is worth trying to do as many as poss.
    I was thinking maybe having a rolling 5 wks of lsr's, 10m @ HM pace, 13m @ MP, 15m, 18m, then 21m @ normal lsr pace, and repeating this til Oct, which would still give me 5 or 6 20milers, allowing for a 3wk taper.
    Your thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Managed to get out for my 50m bike ride to Rivi today, only 1 puncture, but had plenty of spare tubes this time. Reward a bacon&egg barm cooked to perfection at the tearooms at Rivi.
  • Options
    Just signed up for this one as my first marathon
  • Options

Had a nightmare 17 miler on Sunday... with three toilet stops and stomach cramps... not good, wanted around 6:50's or quicker and just had no chance... hey ho... lots of running to do yet image

Cheers Pug image

• Options
    well it may be 7 months to Chester but 4 months to Devon marathon that I am doing
  • Options
    And less than 2 months to Londonimageimage
  • Options

TH - I hate treadmills too!

Garmin might be nice, but I need a new pair of trainers first. Mine seem to have lost their bounce. Then a gadget will be next on my list. How long is it to Christmas? image

• Options

Simon - There is no need to be up to 20 milers this far in advance.  If you are happy and comfortable running up to 15 or 16 miles as a long run, keep on with those for now and gradually watch your fitness increase and the time taken to run them drop.  The time for hitting the 20 milers is from late July or August, depending upon what time you are aiming for.  In my experience a succession of about seven 20 milers before a 3 week taper will have you in great shape for 9th October.  Glad the bike ride went well.

Peter G - Welcome to the thread, post away, let us know how you are getting on & join in the banter.

Pug - In the light of your Sunday run should we re-name you Paulaheaven? !!!!

CJ - Christmas is only 77 days after the marathon - advent calendars and cards will be in the shops soon!

• Options
    Chris: thanks for the advice, that sounds good to me. Hopefully aiming for sub 3:30 time so 8mm pace.
    Was aiming for a 13miler today ready for St. Annes 1/2 in 2wks, but noticed left hip was painful after about 6miles, so had to slow the pace and eventually ground to halt after 9m. Walked to a friends house who gave me a lift home. Feels fine now.
    Strange thing is last year whilst training for a mara, I went for a faster 1/2m run about a month before the mara and got a prob in left groin area after about 6m and again ground to a halt after about 9m. I cut back on the speed sessions and had no more probs, so I'll try that again.
    Enjoy your Lsr's this weekend, I'll be taking it v.gingerly just to be on the save side
  • Options
    there is a 20 mile at Chester in 4 weeks that runs on some of the Greenway starts and finishes at Chester uni going to enter
  • Options
    Wrexham 1/2  marathon for me yesterday.  Was good to see so many of you there, the Haribo sweets were very popular image
  • Options

how did you get on at wrexham?

haribo sweets are always popular  image

• Options

Thanks for the welcome Chris, I'm looking forward to it. I've had a setback on the whole running thing though having sprained my ankle just under a week ago & I've got a half marathon in 3 weeks time. I'm hoping with a support & as much rest as poss, it'll be all right by then

• Options

TH - I managed 1:35 yesterday, not my fastet, but then again I am not that fit at the moment! - Also was tough in the headwinds - How did you get on?

Peter - Hope the ankle recovers quickly for you and you are fit enough to run the Reading 1/2.

• Options

Having pulled out of Edinburgh, this is now to be my first marathon..

Have entered chester half in the hope i can shake off my achilles niggles..

Hoping to make the April training run.. If im not scheduled to work again!

For the first time in my life i miss running image

• Options
    roll on marathon day just booked of work for that week
  • Options
    Well done Chris, 1:35 sounds pretty quick to me.
    PG: hope the ankle heals soon.

Well after my hip prob on Friday, went for a 7m tentative run yesterday, started at 8:35 pace and as no probs finished at 8:06. Hip prob seems to have gone as quick as it appeared.
    Went up to the lakes today for a hike up 'highstreet', 10.75m in 5:35hrs. Overcast and a bit of light snow on tops but otherwise weather wasn't too bad. Some great views when the cloud lifted
  • Options

Hi Sarah -  Welcome to the thread, good luck with your training, we look forward to seeing you at the April training run. 

Simon - Glad the  injury has disappeared & you can get back to your training.

Track session for me this morning, was great to be running in the sunshine  - 6 x 1,000m reps,  tough session but at least it was over quickly image

• Options
    Looking forward to now being able to make the April training run and seminar thingy, going out for a tentative 1-2 mile jog tomorrow to see how things go.. Nice to see the weather turning for the better, nice cold sunny early pre work morning runs await image
  • Options

Has everybody been enjoying running in the sun?

Sarah - hope your jog today went well.

13 miles in the sun for me today image