Options

MBNA Chester Marathon

Comments

• Options

You guys are nuts. Inspiring, but nuts.

Never gone over half-marathon distance, and even in preparation for the five of them I've done I've never done a training run over 11 or 12 miles (so yes, my legs have fallen off in the last mile or so every time).

My 'mate' (and I use the term quite wrongly) bought me entry to the Chester marathon as a Christmas present. Simultaneously the best and worst present I've ever been given, which is quite an achievement in itself.

In fairness he's doing it too, but then he's a 'proper' runner, gives me a good 20+ minute spanking in the half's we've done together.

I was born in the West Cheshire Hospital (called the Countess of Chester now I think) so I'm coming home on October 9th. Looking forward to the pain already.

• Options
    Oh No, don't worry, my 1st marathon is in Stratford in May, very daunting, a year ago I was hardly doing anything, but joined my local club after a disaterous half at Wilmslow last year  and really got into it.  Thoroughly recommend finding someone to run with as would never have got up at 6 this morning if it was just me.  If you can do 13, you can do 18, by which time you're only a 10k (more or less away)  This is what I tell myself now, lying down on the settee anyway
  • Options
    Well I'm officially in now, and entered st Annes 1/2m 13mar also.
    Did an easy week this week so did 10.5m today in 1:22:55 @ 7.54 pace.

Well done on all those 20m lsr's.

Chris/Andy: is training session still on next Sunday?
  • Options
    Oh No Won't Do wrote (see)
    I was born in the West Cheshire Hospital (called the Countess of Chester now I think) so I'm coming home on October 9th. Looking forward to the pain already.

Same here, I was born there 1974... blimey, that sounds a long time ago now!

Cheers Pug image

• Options

John R - Couldn't possibly exercise with other people. Same reason why I've never set foot in a gym in my life (the problem with gyms is they're full of full of people who go to gyms). I'm not much of a joiner of things either, so the local running clubs are also out. It's a life of running solitude for me - until race day that is. Blimey, I sound like a right barrel of laughs.

Love your theory about increasing distances. Could totally go in for that kind of self-delusion - in my head I'm now only a couple of training sessions away from my first Ultra.

Pug - It sounds a long time ago because it is a long time ago. I'm a '71 vintage myself, so I'll be 40 this year. I'll be sure to let you know what the view is like from the other side of the hill.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    oh now wont do

you are not on your own I run by myself and find my training goes good love doing races though but I do not think I would join a club
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Guys, 71's NOT long ago (being a 68 vintage myself!image)

Got the event newsletter today which said, " Big Storage are onboard to help with logistics, making sure 75,000 bottles (yes seventy five thousand) of water and isotonic drink are out on course and at the finish at the right time. " A lot of bottles!! But the key for me is BOTTLES!!imageimage Not half filled plastic cups that you can't squeeze then??image

• Options
    JD: Yea I'm also vintage, feb'62. Bottles sounds great, as plastic cups are a waste of space.
    I'm a fan of solo training, you can do what you want, when you want, where you want and for how long you want, and they all seem to end up back at my own front door.
  • Options
    My problem is my sense of direction is so bad, a 10k run would end in an ultra if it wasn't for someone leading the way.  Talking of which, good luck to my crazy brother, living in Texas who is doing his 3rd 100 mile race on Sunday.  Bonkers
  • Options

simon62w - Yes the traning run is still on for Sunday more details on web site

We start at 9am with a short seminar from running coach Graham Ivory before hitting the traffic free greenway & river paths for the traning runs.  Varying distances(3 to 13 miles)  and paces (7:30mm to 10mm) - something for all, come join us for a chat & run.

• Options

JR- lol! Don't take the lead too early then! Good luck to your crazy brother- hope his sense of direction is betterimage

9m tonight and new shoes through the postimage. Think I've found my VLM and Chester shoe (probably not Snowdon though...)! Pair of Adidas Adizero Adios- tried them out tonight- really light, but with surprising level of cushioning and seem to really push you up onto your toes- even when walking- imageimageimage Think I'm in love!

• Options
    Chris: thanks for that, I'll check it out.

John: they're very keen on their 100milers in the U.S. I hope the weather's going to be ok for him, there's a weather warning for east and mid USA and even Texas/ Mexico (snow).

Jason: are you going to use them for all your runs, or save them for speed sessions and races?
  • Options
    Simon- going to break them in and keep them for a few long runs at MP and marathon racingimage Not sure about halfs cos I usually use my asics hyperspeeds for those- supposed to be 5k shoes, but great for halfs in my experience- and even lighter tyhan the Adios- as long as it's not raining as they have big drilled out holes in the sole! Most of my running is done in my faithful Saucony Triumphsimage
  • Options

Very very good news on bottles, but then again no suprise, I thought the drinks last year were bottles, sure they were, although I had my own thanks to Chris and the organisers...

Wonder what the entry is like now for this? How many people? Liverpool have announced theirs and tbh, I hope Chester fills properly... 

Cheers Pug image

• Options
    I think Chester will fill up and I am glad to be part of it
  • Options
    Cheers guys for your support, entries are coming in strongly & we are confident that the race will be full long before race day. 
  • Options
    that should be good
  • Options
    training tip no. 1  - don't run at 6.30 in the morning after 4 pts of guiness the night before image
  • Options
    what a rainy day went swimming then running going to get a 20 miler in tommorrow
  • Options
    Nice 13 ½ miler this morning in the pouring rain (including Woodbank Park Run) makes a great change to early morning icy runs.  Planning to do the Radcliffe 10 miler off road tomorrow, just hoping the rain isn’t going to wash it out
  • Options

20 miles Compo - that's a good swim! Mind you wil the rain today it felt like swimming.

Rain forecast again tomorrow, but we'll be at the Chester Marathon training run - not missed one yet.

Andy

• Options
    will be running 20 miles after doing 20 lengths in pool I have spen 20 race in 5 weeks which is a killer been in west Yorkshire not a PB course only if you are like Paula Radcliffe
  • Options

Just back from a 10 mile tempo run - so much easier than in the wind last week !

Happy Days image

• Options

Planning long run for Sunday.  2 of us looking to run around 8:15mm pace - Anyone else up for an 18 miler along the Wirral Way?

• Options

Chris- well done on the tempo and good luck with the LR.image

Hilly half for me in Tregaron planned for this Sunday and the weather looks grim- rain and 30mph windsimage

• Options
    liversedge half marathon on Sunday for me
  • Options

Good luck to everyone racing today.

Wind has died down so conditions are good - hope you get a PB.

• Options
    Hopefully this will be my first marathon.  I was brought up down the road from Chester so got a bolt hole after to rest my legs.
  • Options
    Odd week this week, injured my calf last weekend, after running 13 on Saturday and running the 10 mile Radcliffe off roader on Sunday.  Ran a 7.6 on Wednesday after some physio.  Bought some Hilly compression socks and was due to run a 20 on Saturday.  Couldn’t do this as was forgot I was duty solicitor in my local court, sod’s law, nothing came in.  I then went and ran my local Parkrun at Woodbank in Stockport, really chuffed at knocking 14 seconds off my PB to run a 21.58 (my target for the year was to run a sub 22 !)  .Calf was still a bit sore but got up early this morning and ran 20 miles in 2 hours 47 on a very hilly course.  Calf still a bit sore but got my hillys back on and am going to relax and watch the 6 Nations this afternoon.Hope next week is a bit less eventful.Does anyone have any experiences of Hilly Compression socks ?  How long you wear, any good, use for running or when you come home etc ?
  • Options
    Jason & Compo - Hope your races went well, looking forward to hearing how you got on.

John - Congrats on the park run pb & a great long run today, good time for a hilly course.

Enjoyed my 20 today & got back home before the rain. Easier flat / gently undulating route for me. 20 miles in 2:41 - sat with my feet up now ready for the rugby image