Options

MBNA Chester Marathon

Comments

• Options

Helsby is a great run, did it 1.37, makes a nice change from the 18 mile + I've been doing the past couple of weeks in prep for Stratford marathon.  Radcliffe off road 10 miler is next in Feb, any takers ?  Can't wait to get back off road.

• Options
    Simon, thought about Stratford mara in May?
  • Options
    RoooRooo ✭✭✭
    Digger, what training schedule are you gonna follow? Wd love to break 4 hrs myself but do think that might be out of my reach for now.... still dreaming though... image
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Evening allimage

Simon- well done on LRimage

Roo- I'd recommend Pfitzinger &Douglas' "Advanced Marathoning" (Don't worry about the titleimage). It's my mara bible

Just a flying visit as life is getting in the way a bit right now- actually had a day off yesterday cos work got in the way- got a weighty assignment to finish sharpishimage But managed to fit in 11.1m with tempo tonight- 4.59m @ 8.07av, 5m @6.36av and 1.51m @ 8.32avimage 

• Options
    Digger: yes I thought about Stratford, but I think I'm going to be working, as it's the w/end after the 1st May b/hol.

Roo: I did a 3:59:06 mara last apr using the sub4 training sched from this website, and just adjusted to fit around my work/life routine. Hope you find one that suits you.
  • Options
    I'm all entered and in this one image
  • Options

morning chaps ... am in for this one (or will be when I get my butt in to gear and payday comes round!).

Roo - I'd love to do a sub 4 too, just clocked a 1:52 at Helsby, so I suppose there shouldn't be any good reason for attempting it, so if you find a good plan let me know.

• Options
    RoooRooo ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for your advice. I'll ordered the 'advanced marathoning' book, thanks Jason, the title IS scary though!! Oh well.... my last marathon (and 1st!) I followed a 5 day training schedule and it was good re the long run, but I feel what I need to do more of this second time around is the speed and hill work... I should have no excuses really re the hills I live in Yorkshire after all!! ... I don't think I really pushed myself very hard on race day as didn't really feel any soreness next day whilst all other folk seem to take steps backwards and all that... tells me I had much more in the tank, but whether I trust going for it more this year, who knows...
  • Options

Hi Pug - Great to have you running with us again this year.

Jason - Wish I could knock out a session like that  - good times!

Like many of you ladies & gents I also need a good traning plan to keep me disciplined and guide towards target time.  At our training run on Sun 6th Feb we will be starting with a short presentation from Graham Ivory, our coaching partner, who will be answering any questions on training.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Cheers Chrisimage

Pug- hiimage

Roo- you'll love the book. I especially like the fact that it explains the science behind the plans firstimage

Life meant that today's run was very late- just got back in fact, but 15.5m in the bankimage

• Options

Roo, I'm trying a Hal Higdon plan this time, but also think I need to mix in hills and some pace, trouble is I'm one speed only. I guess most people finish a mara and think they could have knocked off a few minutes somewhere. I will be sticking to the racing line to save a few yards!

The plans on this site are pretty good but think they could do with a few more long runs adding, each to his own though..       

• Options
    If you're looking for a half marathon next month, what about the Village Bakery Half in Wrexham? Long runs are good, but it's fun to do some races as long as you don't get carried away.
  • Options

First 18 miler of the year planned tomorrow... hopefully around 7:20 m/m pace. For the first time ever, I'm starting training very early for this one, means alot and hope to be in great shape.

So, intermediate targets are:

27th February Blackpool Half Marathon

6th March Trimpell 20

13th March Trafford 10k

10th April Lochabar Marathon (this is my main spring target).

12th/13th June The Welsh Castles Relay

25th April - 8th May Running from Lands End To John O'Groats with two others in a relay.

Then it's schedule in the 2nd half of the year everything taoiloured to Chester Marathon.

Cheers Pug image

• Options

Awesome set of races.

How far will you run each day on your LE-JOG? Will you run near Chester? We'll come along and cheer you on!!

Andy

• Options
    RoooRooo ✭✭✭
    Jesus Pug, that's a line-up and a half... guess taking it easy isn't you style, right? image Well I am happy with myself, did a slow but hilly 8miler today and feel like a proper runner again... starting the FIRST half-marathon schedule from Monday... life is good
  • Options
    Andy White 10 wrote (see)

Awesome set of races.

How far will you run each day on your LE-JOG? Will you run near Chester? We'll come along and cheer you on!!

Andy

It's not 100% concrete our route, however if we go the way I'm thinking, yep, we'll be running right past Chester on day 6-7 ish if all goes to plan... will obviously post details on here incase anyone would like to pop out at some point to cheer us on as it's going to be a killer this one... basically each of us will run a marathon minimum everyday for 12-13 days dependant on the route we decide on. So, in theory for example, I'll run at 8am-12pm, and do my marathon+ in this time, then 2nd runner hops out and continues and does there 26+ miles by say 4pm and the third runner will hop out and do theirs... we'd be looking 13 hours of running between us... each day... infact it'll probably be around 350 miles each in 12-13 days... and I've only ran over 100 miles twice in one week in my lifetime hahaha... so I better be in great shape for the start of it!

The Roo (former Laufhase) wrote (see)
    Jesus Pug, that's a line-up and a half... guess taking it easy isn't you style, right? image Well I am happy with myself, did a slow but hilly 8miler today and feel like a proper runner again... starting the FIRST half-marathon schedule from Monday... life is good

Hahaha, well, no, easy isn't my style, it's do and die really and kamakaze half the time, but it's just how I am...least you've got loads of time for the Chester Marathon... anyone on here doing the Half in May?

Cheers Pug image

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    my races are

30th January Meltham 10k
    13th Feb Liversedge half marathon
    20th Feb the Lactic Aid Test ( runs most over the millbrook monster course

27 Feb Huddersfield 10k

13 March Spen 20

20 March Bradford 10k

8 May Leeds half marathon

15th May Eyam half marathon

29 May Buxton half marathon

12th June Hanley arf marathon

19th June Torbay half marathon

26th north Devon Marathon

will be more after this but not sure what yet
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Pug- might see you in the Castles- love that raceimage Done the Brecon- Storey Arms leg for last 2 years.

Main targets for me:

Feb- Tregaron half (hills!) & Rhayader 20 (but as a MP run)

March- Llanelli Half (flat and coastal)

April- VLM

May - Hereford Half

May/June- Swansea 5k series (bit of fun really!)

June- Castlesimage

Sept?? Tydfilians 16m from Brecon- Merthyr - big hills as part fell run!!

Sept- Pembs half (Dale= more hills!)

Oct- Chester and Snowdonia marathons (whose idea was that??)

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

imageimageimageimageimage Work has really got in the way this week- had to write a 5000 word assignment and didn't run on Mon, Thurs or Friday- my 3 missed days of the month in fact. I always find that i stiffen up when I don't run and the first two miles of today's 13m from yesterday were hard work. Loosened up afterwards and managed to get today's planned 8m in this evening. 20+ planned for tomorrow. Not only did i not run yesterday, but I ate biscuits in a meeting and drank a couple of glasses of red yesterday evening- not looking forward to tomorrow morning's weekly weigh-in- lol!

• Options
    thats a lot of races compo!

what is your usual milage and what training do you do in the week between your back-to-back half marathons?
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Oh and Chippenham half in Septemberimage
  • Options

Just back from a progressive 18 miler, chuffed actually considering I've only been back running for four full weeks, basically did nothing for October/November and December, think about 60 miles in total for three months... and piled on the weight... however, 18 done and dusted @6:54 m/m pace. Well chuffed as felt rubbish on way out for first 4-5 mile, splits came out as; 7:29, 7:06, 7:10, 7:10, 7:08, 7:07, 7:01, 6:57, 6:54, 6:54, 6:53, 6:46, 6:38, 6:46 (hill), 6:45, 6:28,  6:22, 6:36 (hill/incline for full mile) so ended up as a nice progressive run.

So, anyone else been out for their long run?

Cheers Pug image

• Options

I have today - I did 50 miles ...

... but it was on a bike image

• Options
    13 around Draycote water with legs of lead.
  • Options
     I managed 20 miles (or just over) in about 2 hours 58.  Reason It's a bit vague is that I stopped for a pee at around 14 miles , stopping the watch, and forgot to start it again.  Even more daft than that is that for the next 10 minutes I kept looking at my garmin thinking "bloody hell I'm still stuck on 13.7"  Took at least 15 minutes for me to realise that my pace wasn’t that slow and started the watch again !  Really annoyed with myself as I’d have liked to have seen exactly what time I had.  I do know that it was at least 20 though as it was an “out and back” course down a trailish type run, with 2 nasty hills at the end.  First time I’d listened to Marathon Talk on my IPOD whilst running, fantastic.  Only on episode 4, but Tony’s Trials are superb (love the fact he keeps bigging up my club Stockport Harriers) telling us how he had wanted to lose weight for last year’s London marathon but having run two 70 plus weeks had put on a ½ pound….He then said that he’d had at least 8 pints, a pizza and a curry during The Manc Derby.   Also Martin Yelling was trying to help this lady lose weight but she was obsessed with cheese.  He gave her a choice to lose weight or choose cheese…..She chose cheese.Great stuff.  Certainly made the miles tick away, did get some strange looks from people passing as a chortled away to myself.

Another good tip they gave re gel packs is to take them after certain miles (7,14,20)  as opposed to time (I used to take them after 45, 90 minutes etc)  Certainly helped today and gave you something to aim for. 

Next on the agenda is Trimpell 10 miler trail.  Any takers ?

• Options
    It's a great podcast, keeps me company on long runs, I've been hooked from the start - Ron Hill this week  
  • Options

I've usd Ricky Gervais Podcasts in the past, problem is, I'm laughing to much, I look like a complete tool as people look at me hahaha

John Richards I've done exactly the same mate with a Garmin, stopped, thought I'd started it and not... think mine was a 15 miler at the time and I'd stopped it around 5 mile hahaha... very very annoying isn't it as it's always nice to see exact splits etc.

Cheers Pug image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Pug and JR- good running. Been there too with the Garmin thingy- very annoying.

Not today thoughimage 20m done with first 15 @ 7.54 av and last 5 @ 7.19 av. Legs felt a bit heavy for first 2m after yesterday's 21.xxm catch up runningimage, but all ok otherwise- happy enough for this stageimage

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I do a lot of hill training in the week

just done Meltham 10k today in 44 mins on new course

doing north Devon marathon week after Torbay half can not wait
  • Options
    jason d wrote (see)

Pug and JR- good running. Been there too with the Garmin thingy- very annoying.

Not today thoughimage 20m done with first 15 @ 7.54 av and last 5 @ 7.19 av. Legs felt a bit heavy for first 2m after yesterday's 21.xxm catch up runningimage, but all ok otherwise- happy enough for this stageimage

Back to back 20's you must be mental image
    Cheers Pug image