Options

Berlin Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

booked up for the Berlin again, loved it this year and looking forward to it next.

Is this hotel close to the start finish line?

• Options
    I think it's walkable but the subway will get you there. It's about a 1.7 mile walk to the start/finish. I guess if were all in the same hotel we could book a taxi or even a hercules transport helicopter judging by the number of runners already in here.

Good news for supporters is that the hotel is almost on the route of the race. I reckon a 100m walk will get them to the 9.5km marker

Is anyone running any other marathons between now and Berlin? I'm in London again this year but that's my lot for 2011
  • Options

Hi all,

Just signed up for 2011, did it back in 2003 so thought its time to come back, unfortuanatly already booked my hostel about a mile from the start, otherwise id have joined you all at the hotel. Got a few marathons planned already for next year, Gloucter, Dutchy, Taunton, VLM, shakephere, stockholm, Dartmoor d, North devon but I hope to be going for a Pb in Berlin and use the others for a good solid base.

• Options
    That's some serious distance Muzza - What time you aiming for in Berlin?
  • Options

Muzza imageimage  I would hope to do that number of maras in 2 years haha

I'm in for Gloucester, North Dorset Village Marathon and this next year image Will bring my marathon grand total up to 4 imageimage

• Options
    Muzza - you must have a VERY understanding family or live alone to be able to run 8 marathons in a year!

My family moan that I am marathon obsessed and I am only running two a year!

You are a lucky chap!!
  • Options

As I passed the 24 mile mark in Berlin this year, splashing through another puddle, I knew that my legs couldn't carry me fast enough over the final two miles to enable me to beat the 3 hour mark.

I ended up finishing in 3 hrs 1 min, a PB that I was pleased with, but knew that I'd have to return in 2011 to see if I could get a sub-3.

After getting home, I began to wonder if I ought to just forget about it and spend my summer doing something other than constantly training. I told myself that I'd be better off spending the cash on a holiday that didn't involve desperately trying to find a table at an Italian restaurant on the night before a marathon while also trying to avoid drinking any nice German beers.

Common sense prevailed. I signed up.

• Options

Just signed up for this, seventh marathon but first time in Berlin (first time I'll have ever set foot in Germany!).

As someone who doesn't know the city at all I've seen a mention of the All Season Hotel, is this considered a good base for the marathon?

• Options
    Ha ha, no I am a single parent with 2 young kids at home, work full time as a postie and I am a part time sports massuse. Kids are great and love to follow me running on bikes etc, they are almost always there supporting me racing. But I am a firm believer in less is much much more!!! Only run 25 or so miles a week but I x train and do lots of core and light weight strength stuff at home. Lost 11 stone over the last 10 years which helps with the running! image

Anyway Berlin is my planned goal for next year, hopefull 2.49 did 1.20.00 half the other day on tired legs so It should be there??? ...... I hope!!!!

Elizabeth, got Cornish in 2weeks and that's 12 for me this year, most I have done but, seems to be working for me, been thinking, why go run 20m same old route or just run a marathon a month and tick along? Was averaging about 3.15-30 back in April but lost 45 lbs and done a couple 2.56s of late, or all good, no extra effort, but now there's no more weight to go I gotta work. No more free bees!

What's everyone else got planned? Berlin guestimates???
  • Options

I agree with less is more Muzza and found my times went south when I ditched the junk miles and looked at the structure of my training. I like to get a good base done in January and then through the summer I'm around 20-30 miles/week with at least one speed session and a core session/week.

Had a 1.19 half last weekend and looking for a sub 2.45 in Berlin. Did 2.52 in London last year and that included a toilet stop after 4 miles which was just down to poor planning on my part.

Hope to go sub 75 for a half in the run up to Berlin.

Well done on the weight loss by the way - that is amazing stuff. Am I the first in the queue for post race massage in Berlin given that we will be finishing around the same time?

• Options
    R Dave, u can have it!!! Massage was bad last time I was there all they dud was shake my legs and made me climb off the ex prison bed myself, that must have been funny to watch! image that's great running mate, I do hope to get down to 77-78 mins for the half before, try it at Bristol i think, did 1.20 at Stroud with Eden and dartmoor vale marathons in my legs From the 2 previous wks, so i am hoping it wasn't just luck!? 2.52 with a stop is a sub 2.50 on paper, I don't think London is good for a time personally, let u know in April, I do plan to go for a time in Taunton, 2 weeks before Vlm, taunton course suits me better.

Glad it's not just me who thinks less is more coz everyone thinks I am mad, but sins I been doing it I have smashed all my PBs and I been a runner for 11 years now. Can't do speedwork either coz the reps just injur me, so I just race as much as I can, beats any speed session in my book, although you must have a goal race in mind and don't get to cheesed off if u have a bad day. Anyway...... That's just me and my opinion. Each to there own I suppose. image
  • Options
    Flights and hotel booked. Gone for the All Seasons Hotel recommended here, seems like a good price.
  • Options
    Muzza, I was hoping that you would be providing the massage.

Interesting that you think London isn't good for a time as I think it's much better suited than Berlin to be honest. Having said that I was carrying an injury at Berlin last time out so will know better in about 11 months time
  • Options
    R Dave, I'll be on holiday and in the free beer tent!! image anyway my massage hurts, I take no prisoners, always give a massage I would want to pay for! But, no pain no gain!!

I just feel London is hard work, bit to flat, as is Berlin, I think Amsterdam is better suited to me, few more rises. Just fancied Berlin. Also I like Dublin, prague is quick to. Hopefully sort my marathon time before I get to old, then 2012 try and improve the ironman pb, that's the plan anyway. Got unfinished buisness there! image
  • Options
    oooh Ironman - we need to have a discussion about that Muzza coz i need some advice for 2013. Plan to do Ironman and Comrades that year
  • Options

Two new best friends there then?

No seriously they are fantastic running times guys,  will doing less,  also make me faster?

I don`t think so.

Hopefully some more slower runners on the thread,. I am aiming for 3:30 myself, a bit slower than you guys but still the same training etc to go through.

• Options

R Dave, always happy to help, I dont know to much though, done a couple but not very successfull, thats why I want another go. Its all about the bike and I am rubbish on it. Comrades I am up for that I plan to do it one day. maybe treat myself if and when I get to 100 marathons.

Shaggy, I have tried and tested it all, I find if I do to much is worse than less as you never really recover enough to race, works for me, like I said each to there own. my less means more quality, its not all about high mileage, as full time workers/parents etc etct he body cant recover doing 70+ miles a week.. we aint pro's, And sub 3.30 that aint slow mate!!!!

• Options

Muzza, R Dave. keep your running legs ticking over and lower your milage. but concentrate on your cycling legs for the Ironman times. I got a bit lost a few years back with my marathon times so decided to have a crack at the Ironman. 5 Ironman finishes later, im still able to manage a flat marathon of what i was able to do 4yrs ago on less running but  a bit of cycling. I think its a case of a change is as good as a rest. or so they say!!

• Options
    Totally agree Bluearmy! I wont be paying stupid £400 for IRONMAN again either, its the outlaw for me 2012. image
  • Options

Agree...! its getting stupid money now and with the Euro, the cost of going to Europe is not any cheeper anymore. So after a bit of sweetalking the mrs, im doing the double iron 2011. HELLP..!!!.  well i guess i will get double for my money.. and to finish off the season, a nice trip to Berlin for my big 40..!!!

• Options

Blue army, do you listen to marathon talk?? its a podcast and its free!!, really good and they give great advise and do some awsome interviews!! last week they had Hywell Davies on there who won the doubleironman this year in a time of 20.30, well worth a listen???? Personally I cant even imagine it, but never say never.........WTF am I saying??? image

My big 40 was this september, they say life begins now so I am hoping! image

• Options
    Marathon talk? Where do I download it Muzza?

Looks like were all hitting the big Four Zero at the same time. I'm turning veteran on the 3rd January (or next year as I like to call it)

Going to ask the Sheffield Triathlon club for some bike advice and swimming lessons. Don't want to spend a fortune and find out it's not for me.
  • Options
    Hi all, just signed up, always wanted to do Berlin - seems a long time away though - bring it on.
  • Options

Muzza,

You are spot on about more is less, as we all find as we get older (46 years for me), we have to look after bodies more.

Hence more careful training, more cross training, more rest days, more cushioning in our shoes, more stretching required. Was it more is less, or should it be less is more?

I found the answer for me, was replacing running sessions when the legs are tired, or i feel slight injuries are developing, was to go cycling and still get qaulity training time in without causing to much impact damage to the limbs.

That was the plan, but as I was enjoying it so much,  that I entered a tough 114 mile, Tour de France high mountains stage race called Le Etape Du Tour which I did in July this year in the Pyranees and am now finding it hard to get back to running race fitness again.

Still that`s the joys of running.

• Options

Etape is a toughie next year, its Alpe duhez, killer hills, way to much money to go for it though, tours only and they do rip us off! rather do more overseas marathons, so many to do!! booked stockholm in may as well, usually do 3 or 4 a year overseas, did goofy challenge in disney back in jan, Prague and helsinki this year, love a weekend away.

No its definatly less is more doing the right thin and listening to the body, swim when legs are tired, I do speed sessions on the ski machine rather than the road, and race a lot. Definatly eeling the benifits fron core and strength training tho, done a fair bit sinse june. us old boys need to look after ourselves a little more. image trying to make it to the 100 marathons, long way to go yet, 55 down 45 to go. image have done 20in last 2 years so i am picking it up before I get to old! ha ha

• Options

R dave,

I download it every week fron Itunes, its free or you can listen via streamimg, nice 1 champagne!! its great you got 44 to catchup on! the guys that do it are both great triathletes and runners so they do know there stuff, can be funny to, something different to train to one a week! they got a good thing o facebook to if you on it, just add them or LIKE?? or email them they always reply and are very helpfull and quick to reply.

• Options
    Brilliant Muzza. just downloaded all 44 podcasts from i-tunes

I'm getting married a week on Saturday and then were off to Sri Lanka on honeymoon. The missus is delighted that I've got around 60 hours of running podcasts to listen to.

Married life eh - you can't beat it!
  • Options

married life........ oh you will need a good pair of earphones mate! ha ha congrats and good luck!! are you squeexzing a race in shri lanka whilst ya there??  image

Glad you liked it!! hey I get a mention on episode 2!! its good and pretty funny at times. enjoy and pass on the word!!