Options

Why is bottled water so expensive?

If I have to drink water it must be bottled water, believe me I spend a small fortune on bottled water. If I run out of water and I am really desperate I will even drink from those big 5 litre containers.  The only time I drink tap water is when it’s boiled to make my hot drinks.  Overseas companies are making big profits on bottled water.

It has been suggested that water out sells Pepsi and Coke.  It has also been said that it is fashionable to carry a bottle of water around with you.

Is Evian (live young) the best selling water?  Is it the most expensive bottled water???

I just had a look in my house; I have got Evian water, Buxton and Sainsbury’s Caledonian water. I always carry water in my car.

What make this tasteless drink so popular?

I am young gifted and Black.

Comments

• Options
    It's expensive because stupid people will pay that much for it.
  • Options

and its not actually as good as the stuff that comes out of your tap as its not as tightly regulated, so yes as Mr W said, its for stupid people.

Its also very very environmentally unfriendly

• Options
    corporation pop
  • Options
    M.ister W wrote (see)
    Tap!

Ditto. Bottled water is a waste of money, water and energy.

No coincidence that Evian is an anagram of naive is it?

• Options

tap

Just because it's in a bottle doesn't make it significantly different to what comes out of the tap. In fact, in some cases bottled water contains MORE impurities and undesirable chemicals than tap water does.

It costs a lot because gullible numpties will pay for it.

• Options
    Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Tap water for me. Don't understand the whole taste issue with bottled water.......it serves the same function and ends up being excreted/secreted regardless
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I suspect that people drink it because their tap water tastes awful (I'm lucky not to have that problem, and rarely drink anything other than tap water).

It's expensive because it has to be (I assume) filtered, cleaned, sterilised, bottled and shipped, plus a profit for the shop that sells it etc.

I don't know about other supermarkets, but Tesco sell their own brand water at less than 16p a litre (6x2litres for £1.89), which is probably cheaper than tap water for anyone who has a meter*.

*Just based on Daily Mail type rants about the cost of water - no idea how much it costs as I live in Scottieland.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Tap water - bottled water is a total waste of money.

• Options
    Tap.. I pay enough for it, why pay at a supermarket as well
  • Options

Farnie...you've just brightened my day. i've not heard that expression for many years...great stuff.image

Karen...buy a water filter...Britax is the name. 

• Options

image Bloody hell! Water is water. Wonders if Karen have a bath using bottled water.

• Options
    The tap water in Manchester tastes better than any bottled water IMO.
  • Options

Tap at home, although I do have a 2lt bottle of tescos cheapest jobbies (less than 20p a bottle), my water bills are nearly £400, so 20p for 2lt's of water isn't an issue.

• Options

Karen Samuel wrote (see)

If I have to drink water it must be bottled water

Err... why?

Tap water for me - always.

I know in 'some' areas the tap water is a bit nasty, but the vast majority is just fine.

• Options
    Nessie wrote (see)

I don't know about other supermarkets, but Tesco sell their own brand water at less than 16p a litre (6x2litres for £1.89), which is probably cheaper than tap water for anyone who has a meter*.

*Just based on Daily Mail type rants about the cost of water - no idea how much it costs as I live in Scottieland.

Nope, tap water costs about 1p for 5 litres.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    My tap water comes from an artesian well anyway. image
  • Options
    I'm not one to get wound up by posters, but what do you mean you "have" to drink it. No you don't - you chose to drink it. How ridiculous to post about the cost...!

If you'll run out you'll "even" drink from the 5 litre bottles - well, go you!

I had a long chat with my 6 yro nephew last weekend about the fact that many children do not have access to clean water - a discussion started by him. As a result of that, we are now in the process of adopting such a child. You could do worse than stop to think how lucky you are that you have the choice as to whether you drink clean tap water or clean bottled water.

I'd like to say that words fail me, but they clearly didn't!!

(Obviously, the above rant does not apply if you have some weird illness that prevents you drinking tap water, other than pretentiousness!)
  • Options
    Maybe those from Bromley are odd. A lot of vets come from there.

Maybe Karen should try
    http://www.funnymediablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/funny-picture-1262050523314.jpeg

• Options
    Karen Samuel wrote (see)
    Shock, horror.  Would you drink tap water overseas?image 
    Any developed country e.g. western Europe, U.S.A, Oz & NZ then yes I would/do.
  • Options

Is the "shock, horror" that you've realised how stupid you are for wasting all that money?

Yes, I will drink tap water in other countries if I know it's safe.  I drank it in Cyprus this year and had no problems.

• Options

More water is used in the production of the bottle your water comes in the amount it holds  So straight away you're paying for more than twice as much water than you will drink.  And it's what the market will stand.

Tap for me too, put through the filter.  I tend to refill a water bottle to take out and about and will only buy bottled now if I have to ie, out of the house and thirsty.

So Karen, give tap water a go.  I'm sure after a few days you wont notice the difference.

• Options
    Chewie1981 wrote (see)
    Karen Samuel wrote (see)
    Any developed country e.g. western Europe, U.S.A, Oz & NZ then yes I would/do.

The only time I drink bottled over tap is when we have been in Nepal and such like

• Options
    McBoodMcBood ✭✭✭
    Karen Samuel wrote (see)
    I'd always choose tap water over sea water ...
  • Options
    Ditto M.ister W, except swap Cyprus for Spain. No problems what so ever.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Karen Samuel wrote (see)

Yes, I do - nearly everytime I go abroad (which is fairly often). 

I would not do so in some countries, but most of the "developed" world has perfectly safe water.

• Options
  • Options
    IronM.in(erva) wrote (see)
    I'm not one to get wound up by posters, but what do you mean you "have" to drink it. No you don't - you chose to drink it. How ridiculous to post about the cost...! If you'll run out you'll "even" drink from the 5 litre bottles - well, go you! I had a long chat with my 6 yro nephew last weekend about the fact that many children do not have access to clean water - a discussion started by him. As a result of that, we are now in the process of adopting such a child. You could do worse than stop to think how lucky you are that you have the choice as to whether you drink clean tap water or clean bottled water. I'd like to say that words fail me, but they clearly didn't!! (Obviously, the above rant does not apply if you have some weird illness that prevents you drinking tap water, other than pretentiousness!)
    That pretty much nails it for me. I just see bottled water as an inexcusable waste as the stuff out of the tap is perfectly safe. My conscience wont let me drink it.