Options

Dunsfold sportive anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Kanga (M.) wrote (see)
    C'mon, go long and release your inner Bassy ! image *
    * although this now requires an uber-bling team bike with your named carved on it ....
    AliAird wrote (see)
    Good point Kanga, taper time it is!

What time are people getting there? Not done a Sportive before, is registration a pain?

I over estimated the drive time and ended up there just after the organiser got there. Got the best parking spot, as close as possible to the action. Then busted the front brake getting the bike out of the car, so after cannibalising the rear brake managed to ride it with just a front brake. Not reccomended !
    Registration is painless enough, maybe a 10-15 minute wait at peak time. Plenty of time for a cuppa and a slash before heading off image
  • Options

Cheers Kanga, still no nearer knowing what time to arrive!!? imageimage

Says any time between 8.30am to 9.30am start on the web.

Is aiming for a 9am heading off appropriate, or is that just a crowded hell and better to get off earlier / later? Would be more fun riding with Pirates than solo.

• Options

I'd say to have a stress free start arrive an hour before you plan to ride out. That gives you time to unrack/re-assemble your bike, register, go #1/#2's, have a cuppa, round up your posse, and actually cross the start line roughly on time. Budget for 10-15 minutes in the registration queue unless you're silly early.
    At the start they just eyeball your bike to make sure the timing chip is on the front fork OK, then every 10 minutes or so, or when they feel it's a quorum, they drop the start rope barrier and let the group go. They dont care who's in what start group, but obviously prefer the longer riders start earlier so the sweeper can get home before midnight. Given that sort of start process and the usual Pirate carnage getting to the start, aim for 0830 and you should be on the road by 0900. That's what I'll be aiming for with Ben & James, maybe even a bit earlier so we have a head start for the cake fest at the end. image

• Options

Blimey, it's gone up in the world from wander off up a road, Kanga punctures, everyone else zooms past, barlos fag break, get lost, meet sweeper, get lost, people fall off, everyone else laughs, Barlos fag break, get lost, come back the wrong way after cutoff and then eat cake then?

• Options
    Dustboy wrote (see)

Blimey, it's gone up in the world from wander off up a road, Kanga punctures, everyone else zooms past, barlos fag break, get lost, meet sweeper, get lost, people fall off, everyone else laughs, Barlos fag break, get lost, come back the wrong way after cutoff and then eat cake then?

That's the sportive I remember from last time image.

I'm lurgified but WILL be better by the weekend. The thought of cycling up Leith and Whitedown then running is horrendous at the mo but when the Vit C's kicked in I'm sure I'll be loving it. image

For the middle we'd be fine setting off at 9 woudln't we?  However I want to get there earlier to make sure I get to see everyone.

• Options
    Just had the email from the organiser which is all link this, download that, GPX the other. No idea what any of it means. I take it there will be signposts? Failing that it is back to the sportive type I know! I am just going to follow people in yeller & black.
  • Options
    Artful Hen wrote (see)

I'm lurgified but WILL be better by the weekend. The thought of cycling up Leith and Whitedown then running is horrendous at the mo but when the Vit C's kicked in I'm sure I'll be loving it. image

For the middle we'd be fine setting off at 9 woudln't we?  However I want to get there earlier to make sure I get to see everyone.

How long you planning on running, might throw the trainers in as well. Is this before or after cake ? I'm aiming to get there about 0800, maybe a bit earlier, depending on many freeloaders I'm taking as well.

Dustboy wrote (see)
     Failing that it is back to the sportive type I know! I am just going to follow people in yeller & black.
    Just be careful of those feral hedges that jump out in front of you image Worse than the drop bears and hoop snakes back home ...

Forecast is clear, dry, but damn cold - 2 degrees between 7-9am ! Pack your thermals !
  • Options

Finaly got round to entering for this

So see you all Sunday image

• Options
    I finally got round to deciding that on Sunday I will eat cake.........without the sportive beforehandimage
  • Options

Don't put me orf Kanga, only coming to give you a send orf back to your sun drenched beaches. Always the same in this country, bloody convicts get 3 square a day, playstation, sky TV, beach barbies, and I pay for it!image

That is blooming cold though. Sealskinz, overshoes, base layer, winter topz, fleecy bib tights, pirate buff, ear warmers, heated seats, bars and pedals, snow chains & 4WD etc. image.

• Options
    Too get too excited mate. No offers on the house yet, so looks like we'll wont be jumping on a plane any time soon. Might still be here for IMR after all image
  • Options

Hmmm, Mr Dunsfold says "Remember that cyclosportives are not the place for super-rigid carbon 
    lightweights at the best of times"

That's not what the nice man at the bike shop said ....image

• Options
    Kanga (M.) wrote (see)

Hmmm, Mr Dunsfold says "Remember that cyclosportives are not the place for super-rigid carbon  lightweights at the best of times"

Well it's that or the MTB for me!  And I ain't doing it on the MTB!
  • Options
    AliAird wrote (see)
    Kanga (M.) wrote (see)

Hmmm, Mr Dunsfold says "Remember that cyclosportives are not the place for super-rigid carbon  lightweights at the best of times"

Well it's that or the MTB for me!  And I ain't doing it on the MTB!

Show off image.

Kanga - run. Def BEFORE cake (or I'll never get moving again). I was only thinking  20/30 mins ish just to make sure they still work. Slowly.

Ran this morning. It was ugly and hard but it was done. image

• Options

Nothing about me is super rigid or lightweight any more! Although I could probably be carbon dated.

Dropping to gaylord short version on docs orders with new orthotics and cleats etc. Well, actually, he said do a bit on a turbo first but we compromised.

See you there. What's this about a run aftre?

• Options

All part of Henny's training for the double next year ....

• Options
    Sorry guys, tomorrow is looking doubtful

Something has to give and this looks like it is top of the list at the moment
  • Options

Still have to send your cake rations along though image

• Options
    I am a training machine, I dont *do* cakes
  • Options
    Oh, didn't realise you were doing the trifle as well ?
  • Options

Well. I feel rubbish. This sodding not-quite-a-cold is refusing to go. image In fact it's not even a cold. Just a dry throat and a vague chesty pressure and general knackeredness.  But don't want to miss something for a second SUnday in a row so am still aiming to be there tomorrow.  If I have to drop down the short and go dead slow to keep the HR down I will... Am so looking forward to it.

Meldy - sorry not to be seeing you. image

• Options

Sorry to hear you are poorly image

Keep cozy, and see you tomorrow. Am aiming to be there at 8amish.

Meldy. No cakes AND buckering!? HTFU young lady!

• Options

Sorry to hear you won't be there Meldy.

Hennie really hope you are feeling much better tomorrow and you can always stick with me and hubby, there will be no speed going on. image

I have been umming and arghing whether I am coming or not the last few days.  Bad few weeks with a very poorly daughter and not a lot of sleep going on........but I shall just plod round trying to stay awake.image  Plus my mentor told me to JFDI.....image  Not that I expected any sympathy of course.....

• Options
    What a load of old crocks we are!  It would be lovely to ride with you tomorrow Saffers.  We'll see what tomorrow brings. image Hope daughter and you are well rested and feeling better.
  • Options
    What you got a mentor for Saffers?! You're not doing anything proper in 2011.... are you!?
  • Options
    AliAird wrote (see)

Sorry to hear you are poorly image

Keep cozy, and see you tomorrow. Am aiming to be there at 8amish.

Meldy. No cakes AND buckering!? HTFU young lady!

The mind & body are willing but the bank balance isnt, I shall have a nice run round the woods instead
  • Options
    Ali....don't u start.  I am doing a half so need a little bit of guidance. Cos I know nuffink.image
  • Options
    Bike loaded into the car. Bottles filled.  Feeling better already. Gonna be cold at the start of the day image
  • Options
    Artful Hen wrote (see)
    Bike loaded into the car. Bottles filled.  Feeling better already. Gonna be cold at the start of the day image

Yay!! Saw you had posted another message and feared the worst!

Just sorting out kit myself! How much food to bring....image 

• Options

Kit sorted, beer open, lamb roast just going into the oven image I'll be the one wafting a trail of garlic around southern England tomorrow image