Options

Crap at relationships

Comments

• Options
    Must be pretty tough being made to feel like a disappointment by your parents...cant say I have that problem as such. In fact I know they're proud I have a degree and a career.

But...although the olds have not exactly voiced that they are disappointed, i know they find it difficult that I haven't yet given them a grandchild. Both them and me know its becoming less and less likely that it will happen...my mother finds this esp difficult. Don't think I mind so much but dread getting to my 40s-50s and having regret.
  • Options
    I am so with you on the parental disappointment on the failure to produce grandchildren.
    Just like Merrylegs, it's not voiced, or made explicit (though there was a quality moment last weekend; Mum asked, "Do you you find it hard that all your friends now have children?" - I declined to answer)
  • Options
    I was always made to feel like I was never really good enough, although i have to add that I don't think that is what my parents intended! I know they were proud of what i achieved, but they took the line that you don't praise people too much, otherwise they get ahead of themselves. As a result, i've always felt i'm never good enough, but I have to take that blame myself (i.e. I shouldn't be basing my self-esteem on how others view me). That said, i've only just realised in the past couple of years that because I never felt like I really measured up, I've ended up throwing myself at guys that seem to think i'm nice, or compliment me or say how clever I am (i.e the opposite of how I viewed myself!). Essentially I think they were just saying what I wanted to hear, but i'd lap it up because it spoke to my darkest fears and assuaged them somewhat. Anyway, i saw sense, realised i'm better than I thought I was, but i'm still just normal (i.e. i'm not up myself!), and actually my Dad is a bit of a disappointment to me, rather than the other way round. He's demonstrated that me and my sister and her kids aren't as important to him now he's remarried since my Mum died, and I just think this is sad. I don't say all this for sympathy, far from it. I just say it to illustrate that despite the fact children can spend a lifetime agonising over their own failings, when you grow up and become wholly independent, you start to see your parents as fallible people, and often they can't maintain their place on the pedestal children often create for them. I don't know, maybe it is a sad reflection on life, but I have to admit I'm just so tired of all the bullshit and rhetoric and game-playing, but I call a spade a spade, and i'm so sick of guys that lead me a merry path and talk a good game, but just can't deliver, for whatever bullshit reason, that I've stopped even looking. I just think why bother putting myself out there for someone who is happy to piss me about and do what they were probably always going to do, despite pretending otherwise. Sorry for going on and on, i've had a fair amount of red wine I have to admit, and I just like to say it as I see it. Funny thing is though, i'm not overly sad or distraught, I'm just tired of playing games, and i'm almost happier on my own than having to deal with the psycho-babble bullshit. I say almost; i'd rather not be alone, but not at the expense of being with a self-obsessed twat, that is! I can live a good life on my own; I hope I don't have to, but I won't stop living if I can't find someone to share things with image

p.s. whether i've have kids or not remains to be seen, but I don't think my Dad gives a toss; sadly his new life doesn't allow for a lot of time for his existing grandchildren, far less any new ones..... How sad.
  • Options

I find that very sad Lee.  Not in a feel sorry for you kind of way as that's not what you're about but in a wanting to give your dad a huge shake and make him realise what's slipping away from him kind of way.

• Options

Red wine is good Lee. It makes you tell the truth.

You seem to be able to do it in a much more articulate way than I can after a few glasses though!

I agree with you about parents sometimes being the disappointing ones. When we're both drunk and not on a forum I might tell you about mine! My mum once declared I was the "the biggest disappointment in the world" and regularly told me I was the "worst daughter she could have".

I never brought the police home, never took drugs, never smoked, slept around and I was a straight A student so this sounded a bit odd, even coming from her.

What I now think she meant was "You are not the emotional crutch I need to lean on and you don't make a very good cat to kick"....image

I still don't.

My relationship with my parents is deteriorating daily. My grandmother also no longer speaks to me and my brother doesn't speak to anyone because its easier to stay away from everyone and I understand that. The absolute truth is that THEY are crap at relationships, not me. I have a wonderful marriage and great kids. I just can't do the parent thing. I can be a friend too.

Relationships isn't just your search for a soul mate. Its everybody you have in your life.

Don't ever let anybody impose their view of who you should be on you. Its not a race and we're not all treading the same path. God - how BORING would that be?image

• Options

I think parents do make a difference to how you deal with relationships - I was never treated as a dissappointment as such but my mother played me and my brother off against each other - all I ever heard was how funny and confident and good looking he was (in fact my mother I know considered herself to be ugly and never failed to point out how much I look like her. now I know I am not a model its teh level of importance that was put on it) - all he ever heard was how clever and bright his sister was - neither of us was told the good stuff about ourselves.  I was not close to my mother and my dad we suspect was somewhere on the aspergers spectrum (he really wasn't right) but not diagnosed so neither he or us was treated.  They are both dead now and I have a odd relationship with my briother we have to be in touch at the moment and can spend a night out talking quite happily but we are not close and never will be we just don't see the point in adding stress.  But essentially my formative relationships were not quite normal.

My brother had a child with someone who turned out to be a psycho.  I spotted that no one else did until it was too late. 

One of my problems with relationships is I can be very empathic and it means I can feel when people are faking or upset and soak it it, often when others can't and it makes you a bit cautious.

But I am in my 40s and in a postion to change that and have been doing for a while now - it takes time but I am getting there

• Options
    Nam wrote (see)
    MikeFrog Justgiving.com/MikeforCrisis wrote (see)
    That sounds like the female equivalent of what I was trying to describe in men....

Do you think the stats work the other way around, i.e. dads to be more critical of sons?  hmmm.... not sure...

I'm sure having one or more parents who are extremely critical of you will take their toll in adult life, but I thought the gender element was interesting.

I'm definitely more critical of my son - but I can't help feeling that's because he deserves it !  

Lee - I would try not to judge your dad.   I don't know him obviously but who knows what he really thinks - he might seem like he doesn't care as much about his grandkids etc since your mum died but is it possible he doesn't want to seem to be an interfering grandparent ?    Like TP says maybe give him a shake by telling him how you feel - you might find he feels the same - sometimes it's just down to communication isn't it - not always easy to be open with your feelings even with closest family.   As always I could be talking rubbish!   

• Options

My parents both have serious issues. They are not what you could call "normal" in any way and both drag me into their unbelievably destructive relationship which in turn affects my own state of mental health.

So I pull back from them to protect myself and my family and they accuse me of being "cold and unfeeling".

Well, you're hard to love guys and that's not my fault.image

All relationships are unbelievably complicated. HUMANS are complicated.

• Options
    Lee the Pea wrote (see)
    I was always made to feel like I was never really good enough, although i have to add that I don't think that is what my parents intended! I know they were proud of what i achieved, but they took the line that you don't praise people too much, otherwise they get ahead of themselves. As a result, i've always felt i'm never good enough, but I have to take that blame myself (i.e. I shouldn't be basing my self-esteem on how others view me). That said, i've only just realised in the past couple of years that because I never felt like I really measured up, I've ended up throwing myself at guys that seem to think i'm nice, or compliment me or say how clever I am (i.e the opposite of how I viewed myself!). Essentially I think they were just saying what I wanted to hear, but i'd lap it up because it spoke to my darkest fears and assuaged them somewhat. Anyway, i saw sense, .

Figuring that out means you've got a lot farther than many people ever do.

Lee the Pea wrote (see)
    my Dad is a bit of a disappointment to me, rather than the other way round. He's demonstrated that me and my sister and her kids aren't as important to him now he's remarried since my Mum died [..]  p.s. whether i have kids or not remains to be seen, but I don't think my Dad gives a toss; sadly his new life doesn't allow for a lot of time for his existing grandchildren, far less any new ones..... How sad.

Hmm. Like Popsider said, I dont know the people at all, and could be talking rubbish, but as someone who remarried when my first wife died, I felt the need to move on. At first, simple things like moving house and town, changing the social circle. Not that i didn't like those friends any more, but didn't want forever to play the role of someone with an obvious "empty space" standing beside me. I don't care any less about my children, but the relationship is less intense, less frequent, necessarily different in character.

• Options
    MikeFrog Justgiving.com/MikeforCrisis wrote (see)
    That sounds like the female equivalent of what I was trying to describe in men....

Nam, yes, I think fathers are often more critical than mothers of their sons. (Though I have no evidence).

We are all, to a huge extent at first, shaped by our parents and the patterns they teach us. Boys are often taught, one way or another, to suppress their feelings, to be "rational"

• Options

mm -interesting stuff about parents. I found that most middle class folk I worked with had to somehow always "perform" like demented seals and then would never quite be good enough for their parents. All about appearance, school and career. Anyone gets close to the carrot they move it again. Yip -feelings were 90% of the time deemed as "undesirable" with them and with my backround.  I was 25 before I realised to feel was not a sign of madness. It was great to realise that I was not "mad" just human and  have feelings.

I was never good enough if I didn't fight and stick up for myself and because I chose a path that was not "steady job on railway or Royces".

I love my feelings now and like the feeling of rebelliousness that comes with showing them (and reactions of those who struggle btwimage)

• Options
    Mike, I was thinking about what you were saying about the need to move on and have a fresh start after your wife died, and how important it is that you understand yourself and you're really articulate in the way that you can maybe explain that to your children.  But then I was thinking what if a dad doesn't have that much self-insight and can't express their feelings so well... without that sitting down and talking about things, adult kids like Pea must be unbelievably hurt by feeling that you're parent is no longer taking a great interest in your life.  Mad to think that the difference between the consequences of major rejection versus still having happy (yet slightly different) family dynamics is essentially about people's ability to sit down and have an honest chat with each other.  image
  • Options
    FFS Hoose do you have to turn everything into a class struggle... image
  • Options
    never talked of  "struggle" nam just observed  differencesimage
  • Options

*breathes deeply* image

• Options
    spit it out girl -you are usually good at that. It was a revealation to me at one time, you know. I though being MC was a doddle and that they didn't have big problems-lol  I only see the "human being"  these days.
  • Options

The ability to have an honest and open chat with your parents with no play-acting or attitude-striking on either side is a level of functioning many people never reach

and yeah totally relevant to this thread because that then affects how you are with potential partners

• Options

- I find it difficult to talk to my dad even now Mike . Wish I could see behind the persona.image

My early relationships with women echoed stuff that rubbed off from my dad. To him women were "kids" and like all kids needed to be "controlled". His 3rd wife aint full bag of sugar and  is OK with that so they get on well. I mixed with more intelligent, independent women, so was crap at relationships at one point.

• Options

They f**k you up your Mum and Dad ........

We've all got issues with our parents.  Some have a harder time than others (and some of you have hard horrid times) but at some point, we all have to take responsibility for ourselves and let it go.  We can't change them.  We just have to find a way of managing the relationship.

• Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

Relationships isn't just your search for a soul mate. Its everybody you have in your life.

Absolutely true.

The relevance of parents to me is that I have watched mine endure in a very unhappy marriage for the last 21 years - my father is bitter and twisted, which is very very sad.  My mother  said once ' cant you just lower your level of expectations, no-one has an ideal marriage'. Yet my dad said the opposite -i.e.  lots of people are unhappily in marriages/long term relationships, its about their tolerance level of whats acceptable and 'what they will put up with'.

Lea, good post last night and I'm with you on this - " I can live a good life on my own; I hope I don't have to, but I won't stop living if I can't find someone to share things with image"

• Options

Afternoon folks image

Mike/Popsider, you are right to say that I shouldn't give my Dad a hard time, and to be honest I don't really.  We did have a big blowout quite a while ago now, and I told him how I felt and so did he, but nothing much changed, and I know that if I brought it up again, it wouldn't make a difference.  i know that sounds defeatist, but I know what he's like.

No matter what, i just can't understand why having a new wife means you just lose interest in your family.  I don't see my sister and I being any less of a family to him just because my Mum isn't here.  He see's his wife's kids much more oftern than he sees us, just because she invites them round more, and will babysit for her grandchildren, but isn't so interested in Dad's grandchildren.  There is an element of distance there (well, not with me, just my sister; i'm only an hour away), so it would never be equal, but it still grates.  My nieces are really disappointed too which is heartbreaking.  We don't have a big family, so to me, we should stick together even more.  I'm visiting family (Mum's side) later in the month, and I can't wait.  Dad has lost interest in them now, and they think it is hellish too.  It used to really upset me I have to say.  I still miss my Mum of course, always will, but moving on from someone's death doesn't have to mean leaving everything behind.  I've just settled into apathy now, which is pretty sad I know, but I just thought to myself, why get all upset and bothered and feel miserable when he doesn't?  I'd rather be happy and spend time with folk who do care, so that's what i'm doing image

• Options
    p.s. LB, that really sucks for you image  Sorry to hear you've had a bit of a mare with them!  I guess everyone has their issues eh?!
  • Options
    Lee - one thing I've noticed in male/female relationships is how things tend to gravitate towards the female's family.  It did in my marriage and I see it in friends and that of my siblings too.  It doesn't make it right, but I think that is what naturally happens.  Of course your father should continue to be a father and remember what his family has lost, not just what he lost.  It's never easy though.
  • Options
    I agree BDB.  I know if it had been the other way around, and my Mum was still here, we'd see her a lot more, and potentially the man's family would be seen less.  I still just think it seems like a crappy excuse.  To me it just smacks of being a bit under the thumb!  I have to say it also makes me realise I want a guy who actually has his own mind, and isn't just happy to be dragged along by a woman, but will take the initiative too.  I like a bit of equality in that respect.  Everytime I say something like that though, I laugh because I think 'Maybe i'm single because i'm expecting far too much...! Lol! image
  • Options
    One thing that won't help is the red wine/pour your heart out semi-pissed release - if you do it too often that way lies danger and the stuff you say whilst liberated from inhibition stays on here.

You've some good mates on this forum Lee - use them.

One person who posts on here regularly helped me deal with stuff last year when a parent died and a potential fantastic relationship went wrong and fucked up my head for a while.

Good luck
  • Options

Nothing wrong with standing up for yourself Lea.  It goes back to the modifying your behaviour to please others thing we discussed previously.  Shouldn't have to do it.  Be yourself.

• Options
    At the risk of being labelled a Corinth Groupy or whatever it was (no disrespect meant to you Corinth), I too would advocate being wary of pouring your heart out here with personal details. This is a public forum and the written word does not go away...
  • Options

'Fraid I'm another on who doesn't understand why the death of a partner and the would make the relationship with your children any less important or intense, I would have thought this would have made the parent/child bond more strong as they only have one parent left.

If the subsequent remarriage made this relationship less important or relevant are you then not just saying that you now value your new relationship above anything you ever had or any offspring from your old one?  I'm not suggesting anyone live completely in the past but to shrug the past off as the past and suggest that the future is unrelated to that doesn't seem to stack up for me. 

Maybe I'm oversimplifying this or maybe it's because I have no children and my mother hasn't remarried that I don't get this ... but I really don't.  If it were me as the child then I'd find it incredibly hurtful.

• Options
    Stu www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)
    I was never good enough if I didn't fight and stick up for myself and because I chose a path that was not "steady job on railway or Royces".

I love my feelings now and like the feeling of rebelliousness that comes with showing them (and reactions of those who struggle btwimage)

You didn't grow up in Derby did you ? 

Half the people I know seem to work for Royces - I've managed to avoid that having no scientific/technical leanings -  did work for the railway for a couple of years though.

• Options

Just reading back the last page - is Stu Hoose ?   Am I the only person on this forum that didn't know that ? 

In which case it'd be the car maker Rolls Royce not the aero engines.  

...apologies if you aren't Hoose Stu - not that there's anything wrong with being Hoose but you know what I mean...!