Options

Crap at relationships

Comments

• Options

I haven't resisted, this evening.

See also the "comfort zone" thread.......

• Options
    Resistance is futile BDB, if you can't give into it on a Friday night, when can you?

Oct 1st I will be in Somerset, keep the noise down image
  • Options
    I am resisting.  Somerset isn't that far by the way.  And The Micheals need our support.
  • Options
    Ah but I might start heckling and asking for some Satisfaction image.

Limited smilies on the iPad
  • Options

Satisfaction is a two way street - they may ask you to please please them like they please you.

That doesn't really work does it?

• Options
    As long as they don't want to hold my hand whilst trying to start me up ...
  • Options
    You might like that and ask them to give you shelter.
  • Options
    And with that bad Stones pun, I will bid you good night x
  • Options
    Mixed emotions about that ...
  • Options
    You always paint it black you lot image

(My sympathy is with the Devil)

Apologies re book xwire. (Senior moment...) I've not read the other one.

Re Luther BDB - I agree, absolutely first rate TV mate and fantastic acting by the lead; I thought I'd have trouble re the 'Stringer Bell' link but had put him out of my head within 30 seconds. It's also haunting - I know when I've watched/read something special... I think/dream about it for weeks after and this is sticking around.

Re 'The Wire' Absolutely without doubt the finest American import since Band of Brothers... actually, even better than Band of Brothers - though I found the final series a little too contrived. Series 1-4 were almost Dickensian in their scope and character construction and by far the best TV writing I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy - it really is that good. The Wire isn't preachy or didactic - it shows society as it is and then says... 'make your own mind up' and it does it in the guise of a cop show. If there is anything better than 'The Wire' out there, I've never seen it.

Re the Beatles/Stones debate - I must be the only Scouser who doesn't have a Beatle as a cousin... though, my brother in law worked at Strawberry Fields. The Beatles were influential and ground breaking 'The White Album' 'Revolver' 'Sergeant Pepper' etc

To me though, The Stones were 'Rock'n'Roll' and genuine bluesmen... and there's a subtle difference.

Anyhow, enough of this nonsense - I'm off to spend a long weekend pretending to be 25 again image

• Options

Hullo....

Oh how dull has my life become when you're genuinely excited about a new kitchen bin...  having owned a mere plastic swing bin for many moons, I am now proud owner of a lovely stainless steel number...  I thought you all needed to know that...  image

Bedding all nice and fresh... dish washer & washing machine buzzing in the background, and a fish finger buttie has just been nommed.

Cat & dog both home and snoozing in their respective corners.  image

• Options
    Sounds very pleasing, Nam image
    I am not racing any trains image my hip is rubbishly sore and achy image
    I will be visiting a physio for the first time ever asap.
  • Options
    Ohh noo Frodo... having had hip pain for the best part of a year after Switzerland, I know how uncomfortable it can be in any position (I had trouble even lying on it or sitting for long times). Hope you can sort it out pronto.

We all had an afternoon snooze here...

Now for a big mug of coffee and hanging up some washing... that'll be hanging up indoors not outdoors cos it's been binning down here... *hmph*
  • Options

I've decluttered too Nam.  Two bags, one box for the charity shop, 2 boxes of books for the Rotary book sale and one bag in the bin.  I only have one neck and two hands, how could I possibly need so many scarves and gloves??!

Still posted missing is one of my favourite cardigans.  Trying to remember where I had it last but drawing a blank.  It's grey with long pointy asymetic  edges image

Went to work and sorted out stuff, 4 loads of laundry done.  Stuffed myself with crap all day so not hungry for proper food.

Seeing Corrie mention pretending to be 25 reminded me of something we were discussing at work yesterday .... how big an age differnece is too big?  I think I've touched on this before maybe.  S is 16 years older than me and it doesn't bother me at all but it has caused comment from some people ...

<ponders>

• Options
    TP I think age difference is pretty subjective and it's all about what works for you?

About 90% of my relationships were with people younger than me, about 5 years younger is usually the norm. I know women who would never go out with someone younger than them, just like I struggle with the thought of going out with someone shorter than me... LOL We all have little quirks and dislikes, some more rational than others.

I think for me personally once you get into the realm where someone could be my father or my son, I kind of get a bit turned off by that either way. But that's just me. But then some people with huge age gaps are very happy. It's all about who you fall for, what you have in common... how people behave. Someone can be 55 but behave like someone in his mid-30s... someone likewise can be in their twenties but behave like someone in their 40s...
  • Options
    Amuses me that a lot of men on dating websites don't even consider dating women their own age... A lot of them lets say are around 45 and their desired age range will state 18-35... always amuses me... in a semi-depressing kind of way...
  • Options

Hmm, bit of a sticky wicket there then as I seem to behave as if I'm about 15 at times image 

That amused me about internet dating websites too, the 50 year olds  (and I suspect that mght have been a fib too) who would only consider those in their 20s .... left me thinking I don't thinks  sunshine ... unless you've got lots of pennies .... or is that the cynic in me running amok image 

• Options
    Evening folks

1. Sensible move Hobbit - hope physio sorts you

2. Older blokes younger women - tis the 'biological imperative'; women are at their most reproductive 15-35, blokes being prisoners of their hormones just follow their dicks. Women follow their instinct to plough the 'is he a good provider?' furrow. There's just one problem with this theory - it's all bollocks. (And there is a counter theory that women might go for the good provider to provide them with material needs but the kids of these older blokes might actually be the lovers (younger/same age) these women take). Personally, I think it's cultural rather than anything built into our genome - and the good news is... culture changes; watch the rise of the 'cougar' (Fuck I hate that term) and the Toy Boy. The sisters are doing it for themselves these days - most men have not cottoned on to this fact yet. Hence the '55 year old accountant WLTM 22 year old stripper' ads

In my case 'J' is a good few years younger - but I fell for her because knows her way around a conversation, has an easy smile and has the biggest blue eyes I've ever seen and for some reason that's completely lost on me at the moment she's totally besotted with me- she's a bit older than 25... but not by that much.

The '25' reference is because I've been running around a woods shooting people with paintballs. There were 3 problems; the first is that last time I did shit like this I was armed with 7.62 Nato rounds and the enemy had heavy mortars - but it was fun to a point - though, I guess i shouldn't have tried to run the 'red team leader' through with my imaginary bayonet and then butt club him. The second problem was I'm not over my lurgy yet - no matter how much I think I am and it won't go away - which is why I'm home now. The third problem is my Neighbour has bogged off to Mexico leaving me with nobody to mind the Bobster.

The last few women I've been in a sexual relationship with have all been much younger than me - and I'm not sure I've planned this. I was in a long term relationship of sorts with a much older woman, who has acted as my guide, mentor and best mate for 20 years, though we weren't physical for 15 years... we spoke about twice a week until she died earlier this year.

Sorry about going on - 'J' is not with me tonight and I'm just about to go to bed ultra early.
  • Options
    PS - and I'm a bit pissed image
  • Options

I will be heading for bed myself soon.  I'd be there already but I'm an X-factor addict (sorry BDB) and there's no telly upstairs.

I have big plans for tomorrow which involves being on 2 wheels for the first time in ages, hope it stays dry.  Then it's a local fun dog show in the afternoon, we're sponsoring some of the classes.  Pity  you're not local Nam or Kara could have a good chance in the 'waggiest tail' class image

• Options
    If you have a "waggiest rear" category she'd pass with flying colours... She's taken a keen interest in all the mundane things I've been doing today... hanging up washing, changing sheets, loading dishwasher... she likes to feel involved. LOL I came after her as a bed sheet ghost... that had her raise an eyebrow... Just heard her bark for the first time in ages, when she told local tom cat to feck orff out of our garden in no uncertain terms... looks like Maisie's chances of a boyfriend are now somewhat limited...

She may be posting here soon... image
  • Options
    *sigh*

R did really well in a 10hr MTB race today and I can't help and still want to spur him on and was so pleased it went so well for him. Part of me wishes I could care less but I'd be fooling myself if I claimed that I did. I miss being a sherpa. I miss being in a relationship. I miss having someone to encourage and support. image

*pads off to have a 'lil mope...*
  • Options
    It'll come Nam - it might take time but it'll come.

x
  • Options
    (((Nam))) you can't just switch off feelings like a light and what Corrie says it right, it will change over time. But, I hope even when that happens you'll still be glad he did well rather than ended up in a heap. I know what you mean about having somebody to support, it's a lovely 2 way feeling.

Corrie, what were you doing awake at that time? Bed at 9 for me and I've only just woken up. Is sleeping were an Olympic sport I'd be in the 2012 team image

Breakfast then get the bike out of the shed, I fear it might hurt.
  • Options
    I go through stages of sleeping in bursts TP and when I awake, instead of trying to get back off, I'll do a bit of work or reading or even some writing and then when I feel tired again I'll hit the pit. (It tends to kill live-in relationships and I'm on the brink of one of these again, which is worrying - she moves in with me next weekend)

Normally at this stage I'm wracked with doubt but I've never been more certain of anything (or anyone) in my life.

Good luck on the bike - I'm attempting my first run/walk in 10 minutes, though I did a bit of scampering about yesterday.

Hang in there Nam - it'll be interesting to read what you'll be writing in 6,12, 18 months from now - I'll bet it'll be far different
  • Options
    Wow Corrie, moving in already? You're not wasting any time! image Hope it all goes well.

I know it takes time to feel differently about someone. What was different with this was that, to me, it felt so sure and certain. To me, it felt rock solid. It wasn't what I usually do... go for the wrong person but have some sort of ridiculously unwarranted blind faith that it'll all change for the better... it just felt right, it slotted into place like two pieces of a puzzle... to me.

The trouble is that even 6, 12, 18 months from now I know I'll never be able to say "good riddens to bad rubbish" or "had a lucky escape there" because it just wasn't like that. It's so much easier when you can just get angry and "see the light", see someone for what they really were, and think you're better off without them. I do think I saw someone for what they really were and loved every bit of it... and now all that's left is just this dull ache, this horrible sadness.

Anyway, I'll keep doing what I'm doing, crack on with the bits of my life that I CAN change and hope for the best.
  • Options

Blimey, you don't hang about do you Corrie!

I see where you're coming from Nam.  I felt exactly the same when S and I went our separate ways 12 years ago ... I never felt anything other than good stuff about him ... and the ache took years to disappear.  I still have every card and letter he sent me then, they're upstairs somewhere in the tip that is my box room, haven't looked at them for years but I could never have thrown them out.  I can be a soppy old thing at times ... best not let that out of the thread into general circulation image

Took Vincey out for about 12 miles, mostly on a cycle track up to the next village as I've lost my traffic confidence a bit.  Lovely day for it.  I've had some homemade veg soup and will now toddle over to the dog show and then visit friends.

'Cos you've all got heart ... and the good times are just around the corner

Shower now or I'll be winning the stinkiest dog contest image

• Options
    Quick - yep, but my excuse is I'm running out of years - though when I met the ex Mrs C, I was engaged, moved in, had her up the duff and married within two months! So in a real sense I've slowed down. That lasted 6 years and the first 5 were the best years of my life without a shadow of doubt. We were stony broke for most of them and every week was a struggle.

Re getting over someone - I'm not sure I ever have with the ex Mrs C. Every subsequent decision since her walking out on us (Me and Daughter) 25 years ago was made with the after effects of that breakdown very much in mind; both at the forefront and subliminal - and the 20 - 30 short term relationships I've had since then have normally ended because of the fall out from that relationship. I had 5 fantastic years with a really great girl in the ex Mrs C - but things happened between us that made it impossible to continue - she fell out of love with me and there was nothing I could do about it.

The most important thing I ever got right, I think, is I never hated her, ever. If you hate someone you're in a emotional relationship... that way spells danger and you're condemned never to move on - because it's not about you then - it's about them. The opposite of love isn't hate - it's indifference.

I'm not sure what's so right about 'J' - all I know is that if I'd have met her 18 months ago I'd have probably pushed her away because getting close to someone who had the potential to hurt you was weakness, from my perspective. Things have changed since then - I no longer think like that, largely due to circumstances but also due to a couple of really important people who came into my life about a year ago - I won't name them but they both know who they are and one of them haunts these parts. image

Now, the old adage is 'fools rush in' - but I just know this thing with 'J' feels so right and I'm not going to let this pass me by. As some cowboy said - 'either get busy living or get busy dying'. This thing might not work with her - but it might and all I know is I have to try... and I've a feeling an Indian Summer is in the offing

Anyway, enough of the belly button contemplation - the 'Old' Corinth will be back in a few days with 'knob gags' and well worn excuses as to why I'm not running.

Take care all - especially you Nam - you will move on mate and some lucky fella is going to be the beneficiary of this.

x
  • Options

Corrie, I'm slightly worried that you seem to think your parts are haunted ..... call the exorcist immediately, I have a bucket of holy water to hand image

Had a lovely afternoon, pootled round the dog show and patted lots of cute mutts.  Called in at the LBS as I needed some lube (cue gag) and they had a sale on which I rummaged through.  I only bought a top which was 75% discounted due to a pen mark on it .... that'll be the least of its worried splashing through puddles with me.  Went round to see my friends who've just come back from hols for a catch up and look at their photos of New England and NY.

Talked to S on the phone and got dinner on the go.  I shall now get my iRon out and tend to the growing mountain.  I'm going to buy another bike on the cycle scheme and keep it in Somerset,  means I can toddle around on my own.  I may not be moving in - we're a long way from that - but a bike is image