Options

2010 PUMA HellRunner: Hell Down South Sunday

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Good god that was cold.  Like you Mr Zuavai, I was border line hypothermic at the end.  In retrospect I think the belly flop into the bog of doom wasn't the best idea but what great fun and sooo well organised.
  • Options
    Results are up and looks like they've had a few problems. There's a lot of people with just their gun time, including myself, and my time is some 30 seconds after I crossed the line, according to clock by the finish line.

One of the first time I've seen it on their website what to do if you query your result. Think I remember they had the same problems up north. Hope they get it sorted for the Middle.
  • Options
    Yep - had problem with my finish time too - mine is gun time not chip time. I was running with my hubby and I actually crossed the line a few secs infront of him, but is time is 2mins faster than mine - argghh! Think I will be querying that one! Minor quibble and I guess races like these are not really about times anyway?
  • Options

Another great race, got round in 1.51 and loved it, totally different to last year with none of the mud but the cold made it another great experence, glad I payed for the VIP parking, that short ewalk at the end was painful enough, great goody bag and nice T too.

Well done everyone, Will be back again next year!!image

• Options

Didn't get to sleep with the excitement/nerves of it all until one this morning ( might have had something to do with the fact that my pub room was right next door to some kind of generator that switched off every five minutes just to start humming again the next. Great cheep place to stay - and they let me have a very late check out at 2 so that I could have the best hot shower I have ever had!)

What an amazing race- I have never been so cold in all my life. I was so excited I headed off in the first wave instead of the second but I couldn't wait to get to the Bog of Doom! Was worried I'd balk when i got there but was so revved up I just jumped straight in.....up to my neck. Had an absolute ball and only just avoided going under at one very deep spot thanks to some gallant (tall) male next to me who let me use his shoulder. Felt so sorry for all the men and counted my blessing that I only had twenty extremities to worry about . I didn't notice the smell - too bust trying to wipe the stupid grin off my face...what do they put in there? Do I need to update my tetnus shot??!

Anyway wore long adidas thermal tights- didn't seem to hold the water but did protect my legs from the prickly thorny stuff along the way.

The lake was cold- much colder than the Bog- and up to my armpits. By the time I got out of it the second time couldn't feel my feet until the last 500 m.

Such a friendly bunch of runners- and I wore the lucky black tutu the whole way- Yes it got a bit waterlogged after the Bog but at least it came out with me! loved the cowboy in his chaps but I bet they were hard going by the time he hit the lake....

Finished in 2.04 ( by the clock so hoping to better that by a few minutes on the chip timing) so pretty please. Please,anyone...how long was it? 

I will be back next year even if I have to fly from Sydney sun to do it...

• Options

VIP parking so stress free....but what was the deal with the loos? By the time I got to the front of the queue only about three were useable!

So bodrerline hypothermia was what the hour of shaking was about afterwards?...split hot tea all over myself in an attempt to try to warm up. So glad I had the best ever wingman friend with me to untie my shoelaces and get the bloody foil blanket out of its bag. 

• Options
    9.6miles according to other halfs Garmin....
  • Options

Can't believe over a thousand didn't run! Bit worried there are so many shown as started and running....gonna be a long night searcching for them image

They got my time right

• Options

Tell him to take it back to the shop image I'm not having anything less than 10 miles. image

It was a fab race, great day out. Hideous knee pain as predicted, better after the water secitons. Stupidly managed to get my gloved  hands wet which was a clear error. The 15-20 minutes after finishing to the car was worse than the race itself. Will do it again joints allowing, wetsuit gloves at the minimum if the air temp is anything like that.

Pleased with 2:05 for a first effort.

The 25 Litre water container failing in the back of the car on the way there was less than ideal.

• Options

Is it possible for my chip time to have been 1.50.58 ? I'm sure I saw the clock at 2.04 when I crossed but as I spent the next hour shaking maybe I read it wrong. I was back of wave 1 but surely it didn't take 14 minutes to cross the start line?

I was hoping it was at least 10miles which would be about right for the chip time but still....and what do you do? Do you email them to say I think I ran slower?!!

• Options
    And totally unrelated question- why can't I get a photo up on my profile? Right size, right file format? I don't want to be Shadow man anymore image
  • Options

My chip time is almost exactly ten minutes faster than my watch time and similar with the clock time I saw compared to what's displayed, so I imagine yours is similar. Sadly those ten minutes take me from 300th down to 650th!

Hugely enjoyable though, even with the borderline hypothermia and the fact I haven't been able to walk more than a few paces for the last few hours image

Edit: And yes, I've emailed them via the Hell Runner site and also messaged via the timers site to say it appears wrong. Otherwise I've got to run ten minutes faster next year just to match my time!

• Options
    I can't see the results on the Hellrunner website image can anyone let me know where I can find them?
  • Options
    Gottem, my page has cached!!!
  • Options

Big congratulations to everyone who ran today.  Sounds like you all had a good time. image

Next year I'll plan better! Part of the problem was the one way system for cars which meant that after hubby (rightly) bottled it he couldn't even drop me off or meet me afterwards.  Sounds like VIP parking is worth every penny so I'll go for that option next year.  I'm determined to do this race so I've saved my light-up horns. 

As an aside, I looked at the results for last year before I entered this and there were over 1,000 marked as DNS then too.

• Options
    I think it's a problem with the timing equipment, one of the guys I was running with is still showing as a yet to start, I know he started as he's in the pics with me and my other mate and we both have times.
  • Options

1:34.57 here, im guessing thats right as i saw 1:36 when i finished on the timer. What was up with all those u-bends? In my head i was thinking i could just cut across that if there weren't barriers up! After looking through several portaloos i decided i didn't need to go anymore :C

saw a video also where the leader had to break through ice on the lake. madness!

• Options

Hello fellow Hellrunners,

Well done to everyone image. Today was my first Hellrunner  experience and I was supposed to be running with my  friend who decided to tell me this morning that he wasn't running but would be taking pictures instead...Great I thought but not for one second did I ever feel like I was running alone, the camaraderie was second to none and many thanks to Alex who ran pretty much the first half of the race with me until I lost him when I stopped to do up my shoelace..lol image

It was an amazing and enjoyable experience and I will definately be coming back for more Hell next year to beat my time of 2hrs 17mins..it was well worth the temporary  hypothermia and the fact that my friend had to undress me as I couldn't feel my hands..lol

Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did..image

• Options
    Wow, what great fun that was. The cold made it so much more of an endurance test. Couldn't undo my laces afterwards.

Strangely I actually quite enjoyed the bog of doom - something about doing it en masse made it bearable. So glad I wore lightweight gear in the end, may not have been warmest at the start but was easier after getting wet.

I bet it's normally much muddier, the frosty sand probably made those hills easier too.

Also the car park at the end was hillarious with people attempting to change in the open air - myself included.
  • Options
    There weren't medals were there ?
  • Options
    no, but we certainly all deserved one! I'm still cleaning the mud out of my ears after the Bog of Doom - can't believe just how deep that was in places!
  • Options

Learned to always stay to the middle as there were gnarly tree roots all along the sides. Also do not attempt to throw the Alligator over the banner as you could lose your footing, as I did. Also remember to tie string to your testicals so you can recover them at a later date.

• Options
    Well that was the most well earned bath I ever had yesterday afternoon. LOVED IT!!
    Thought I was going to lose my fingers in the last couple of miles - I eventually took my sodden gloves off but was scared what I'd find underneath - my fingers were purple!
    Took 10 minutes off last year's time so chuffed with that - and the BBQ at the end was a triumph - once we'd all stopped shaking enough to hold our burgers and Bovril.
    Oh, and Gilly1709 - congrats on 17th place - I know you won't brag about it yourself but that was awesome!
  • Options

I agree,I think that we definately deserved a medal for our efforts..I was looking at doing Hell in the middle but I think staffordshire is a litle too far away to go there and back in one day..

Has anyone on here done a toughguy event before. I was thinking about making that my 2011 challenge as well as Hellrunner again in November obviously..I must need my head read..lol

What events is everyone else planning next? image

• Options

Thanks AWTY.

Sorry we had to shoot off but someone needed defrosting!  The bbq looked fab and another burger would have gone down a treat. 

• Options

The photo's are up!

Is it wrong that i find it slightly pleasing that in the pictures it appears that everyone else found the cold water as miserable as i did?