Options

2010 PUMA HellRunner: Hell Down South Sunday

Comments

• Options

I have just got back from dropping my little brother off at Longmoor camp for an army cadet weekend, took the time to have a look at the start of the run, it's really wet!!!

Oh and the bog of doom defo looks deeper than last year and mudier if that is possible.

One week to go and it's only going to get wetter!!

• Options

Thanks Flat Footed.    I'm only little so I think I'm going to drown next Sunday.

I must remember to put a bin liner on my list of things to take for the muddy stinky gear. 

• Options
    Forecast for Sunday....cold cold cold (oh,and probably snow!)
    Bagsy not first in the bog of doom - they'll have to crack the ice! Hopefully by the time I get in it (about 2 hours later) it might have warmed up a little.
    Struggling to follow my own logic on this but hey ho!
  • Options
    Did the Saloman turbo X this weekend in bordon, just round the corner - what a mental race - great fun, can't wait for hell runner next week now - going to be an awful lot of fun!
  • Options

Is no-one else remotely concerned that the temp is going to be -1 next weekend?!?!.....or am i just being a wimp!!!!

• Options
    I'm not concerned i think by the time i get to the bog of doom it will be nicely warmed up for me
  • Options
    Cogga wrote (see)
    I'm not concerned i think by the time i get to the bog of doom it will be nicely warmed up for me
    By people peeing?! image

Oh and I'm concerned. I hate hate hate the cold!
  • Options

I'm thinking of taking my sledge for the hills of hell if the weather forecast of snow is right. image 

• Options
    Cracking idea - can I hitch a ride, I'm only little!!
  • Options
    Bring a paddle then Sara and we can also float it accross the bog.  Unless I need my ice skates for that. image
  • Options

Sounds like a plan....so just to recap, I'm looking for someone in flashing devil horns carrying a sledge and ice skates....that shouldn't be hard to miss!
  • Options
    Bad news  - my horns light up but don't flash.  image
  • Options
    im not going to say what i was thinking its rude and concerns flashing image
  • Options
    Did it last year, back for more!! image Great fun race, can't wait and bring on the cold, it's good for the immune system image
  • Options
    Miss Knee im doing TG aswell im really looking forward to it i thought this would be good training for it lol although i do think this may be harder as my running is shocking.
  • Options
    Great news Cogga, I found another one of us just yesterday on here doing both Hell and TG!! So looking forward to it but bricking it about TG a bit now. Hell will be a good warm up although I some how doubt it will touch the sides in comparison image

Hell is fun so at least we can have a bit of a laugh before the big day!! image

PS Your running can't be any worse than mine, I call myself a jogger not a runner cos I'm back of the pack fodder image
  • Options

hey all,

really looking forward to this but just 1 question, how far in before you get soaked???

• Options
    Depends whether you pansy round the first few big puddles or not - you can keep dry for a while if you run round the edges of the first ponds (but why would you do that?) - yet sooner or later you know you're going to be wet up to your chest
  • Options

I know lol im just thinking that my feet will be shreded to pieces if their soaked from the start.....dare i say new trail shoes will get their 1st outting aswell lol

• Options
    I ran another mucky trail race at the beginning of this year with my friend - when we got there I said to him "why aren't you wearing your fancy shmancy new trail shoes?"..."Oh, I didn't want to wreck them" he said!!!
    Trail shoes are the easiest thing in the world to clean - much easier than normal running shoes
    Your feet will be a bit wrinkly by the end though - not much advice to give there apart from wear good socks so at least they stand a fighting chance!
  • Options

Cogga, trust me, TG is a LOT harder than this. It's a great warm up though. TG is only really hard because of the cold. Having to keep going in cold water, & submerge, is very chilly. Get a neoprene hat & gloves! Before you get to the Killing Fields (the big obstacles) there's about 6 miles of cross country plus the slaloms, up & down a big hill. But if you're slow, you'll be put under pressure to miss all the slaloms out. You may well finish TG with a medal having missed most of the race out! So stick to your guns, & don't cheat. Most people will cheat if told to by the marshals, which will leave you at the back if you're slow & refuse to cheat. Then you'll be told to miss all the good stuff out because you're too slow! You get a raw deal at TG if you're slow....Oh, & if you complain about being made to miss stuff out, you'll be banned for life......!! Good luck! If you get to do the whole race it is a great race. But don't take that medal if you've missed half out. I sent mine back when I realised how much I'd been forced to miss out....

Hehehe.....you have rubbish weather on the way!! Southern softies!!! [Runs off back to Up North thread]

• Options
    I don't want to miss half of it out image Maybe the slaloms image
  • Options
    i dont want to miss any either i dont mind going down the slaloms not over keen on going up
  • Options

I'm still deliberating over the correct outfit for this one. I'm thinking lightweight is the way to go and single layers. Dont see any benefit in multiple layers if they are to be soaked. 0-2C on Sunday. Brrrrr..

Gloves ? If so should they be kinda wetsuity ? Numb hands would be miserable.

I did a test run to get used to streams, ponds etc and found my knee support ketp washing off image

Space blankets CHECK

Camping stove CHECK

Thermos CHECK

Nip tape CHECK

Max Strength Ibuprofen CHECK

Solar camping shower CHECK

Old towels CHECK

Adult Sized Armbands - Do they even do them  ?  image

Gonna be fun.

• Options

Wow, you sound organised!  My hubby ran this last year and made do with baby wipes (he was travelling in someone elses car so I didn't complain!) - not sure I want the mess in the car this time with 2 of us!

Was wondering about clothing options too - I hate cold hands so am going with waterproof gloves (sealskins), but other than that I think you are right - no point in several layers getting wet....I guess if you're cold you're not working hard enough anyway!!

• Options
    BIG towel, my one tip for getting changed in a car park afterwards!! image
  • Options
    I use a big army blanket and two bulldog clips which makes one of those changing type things that your mum used to use when you were getting changed on the beach in Scarborough or wherever when you were a kid!! Just watch out where the split is (fnarr fnarr) or you may have a hospital nightgown moment when you've got your pants off!
  • Options
    I now own one of these http://www.freakfish.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1231 Perfect for the gym, beach.....or a Hell Runner car park image
  • Options

Well we'll be there with Dorothy the Land Rover and we will be using her as our changing room so if anyone is in need of some privacy then look for the large silver Land Rover with no rear windows. You may have a wait for us to finish the race though image

Nice pub around the corner in Greatham too. With 2 fire places. My pal who Im running with is only 5'2 so she may well be doing some swimming too. image

I've not done anything like this before. Started running in August. I've got two 10kms races under my belt and I've done 20km (Brighton Prom) and 16km (nasty Ashdown Forest) more recently. Knees failing, hips failing but still excited and terrified about this one.

Did a Hellrunner lite training session last week to get used to the damp stuff. Ouch.

Apologies for occasional swearing my bleep editing failed. image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW-pSaGOis0