Options

2010 PUMA HellRunner: Hell Down South Sunday

Comments

• Options
    Miss Knees, if you miss out the slaloms at Tough Guy, then you haven't done Tough Guy! Take the medal, but you haven't done the race!
  • Options

Hey All,

I'm doing my first ever Hellrunner this Sunday, and I just wanted to ask a kit question. Is the whole thing run on trails/mud? If so do we think XC spikes might be a better idea than trail shoes?

I'm thinking of bringing both and taking a decison on the day, but I don't want to put on the spikes and come across a two mile stretch of tarmac!

• Options
    Bright, I have absolutely NO intention of missing anything out! Like it or not I'm in it to complete it all not pick and choose what I want to do. You must have missed the humour in my post image
  • Options
    Ben, you run the first 2 odd miles on a gravel road, then you get onto the cross country bit, i would not wear spikes, trail shoes should be fine.
  • Options
    Ta for the info FF. I'll leave the spikes at home!
    Really looking forward to Sunday, see you all in the Bog!
  • Options

Go for it Miss Knees. image I had no intention of missing anything out at TG either, but if you're slow, you get forced in the end. So try & stand your ground. If you all refuse to cheat, then they can't really force all of you!

Ooooh....snow is on its way!! Hehehe..... image

• Options
    They will have to carry me off kicking and screaming and SOMEONE has to be last image I kinda like the idea of snow this weekend and for TG, makes it look prettier image I'm bringing a disposable waterproof camera to Hell to catch some 'moments' in all their glory image
  • Options
    It started snowing during my TG race. I loved that. It felt hardcore! When the organiser closes the race early, you really have no choice though Miss Knees. You are forced to finish early if hundreds drop out, as they panic.
  • Options
    Let it snow, let it snow.... actually don't.

I did a very boggy, muddy, hilly training run around Ogden Water and the moors up in Yorkshire last weekend, shoes came off in peat bog, socks ruined. It was a good leaning exercise though, I know to do my shoes up extra tight, running in muddy conditions is about five times more exhausting than on firm ground and that the only way to run down very steep hills is sideways.

I was thinking there was only one water obsctacle. From some of the posts above it seems there's quite a few. Oh lordy.
  • Options

The Bog of Doom is the small water hazard, there was one that could only be described as a lake to wade/swim through last year and the muddy bank on the other side was a nightmare to get up!!

Come on sunday!!!

• Options

Yes, thought it was quite nasty of the event only to advertise the bog of doom and not mention the lake (only know about that as hubby ran it last year!). Fore warned is fore armed as they say!!

• Options
    You are teasing aren't you?
  • Options
    The lake comes as a real shock - especially as you have to go down a sand dune on your bum to get to it! It got a lot of the mud off though!
  • Options
    Johnny2323 wrote (see)
    You are teasing aren't you?

Wish we were!

shouldn't have spoiled the surpirse should we image

• Options

I've studied many vids so am aware of most of the nastiness but the organisers assured me they will always throw in an extra twist to keep it fresh and miserable.

I've just bought some Speedracer 2s as I face planted twice on last weeks uphill mud run. It looks as if there might be a Devil on stilts in the Lake of Woe (might have made that name up...). Surely it wouldn't be a bannable offence to take him out ? image

• Options

Are we there yet wrote (see)

The lake comes as a real shock - especially as you have to go down a sand dune on your bum to get to it! It got a lot of the mud off though!

oh lordy............image

• Options
    It'll be fine........
    Stupidly, ridiculously excited about it - cold and all. There's 5 of us doing it now - 1 speedy one and the rest of us hanging about near the back making a nuisance of ourselves.
    For me, the worst is the sand dunes at the end - last year I had a bit of difficulty getting going again after bog of doom so spent a lot of the last couple of miles walking - the sand dunes were a nightmare for me so have been working on stronger legs for this year - we'll wait and see.
    My favourite bit will be seeing hubby at the end and knowing he has BBQ on in the carpark with a fat burger and a mug of bovril!!
    BRING IT ON - WE'RE READY!!
  • Options
    TOTALLY agree with you Are we there yet!! HATED the sand dunes, they were never ending and at the worst point. But I'm still massively fired up for this and have got a friend and my two baby brothers doing it with me this year. When I say baby, I mean they tower over me lol image They were inspired to take part by their old decrepit sister image

TWO MORE SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPS!!! image

• Options

Miss Knees am I right in thinking the dunes come near the end ??? image 

Judging the state of my knees on recent runs this will be very, very difficult indeed. I wonder if I can shed 10kg before Sunday..

• Options
    Yep, at the end, when you have not a lot left....but you hear the Karate Kid music far off in some void of your head and you push on through and fight and run on to that glorious finish line!! image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXO3gKfOUN8

I think I'm going to wear bunny ears image Just because image
  • Options
    I'm still trying to decide whether to wear a tutu - just because.....
    3 more sleeps for me - I'm doing Sunday - can you Saturday lot make sure you don't churn the place up too badly please?
    I looked up my photos from last year just now and I can't have hated the dunes that much because I've got the stupidest grin on each of the photos (well, what you can see of my face under my "bog of doom" beard)
  • Options
    @Rich Clark
    I think I'll be on my hand and knees up those sand dunes.

Ridiculously it is only just dawning on me how tough this is. What an idiot! I just thought it was a muddy run with a bit of water at the end.

Everyone in the photos looks to have proper gear. Oh dear, dear me.

Anyway BRING IT ON.

Equally scary is I have signed up my daughter for the kids race. I wonder if they go through any of this stuff. Anyone know?

• Options
    Ahhh it's not tough Johnny, if I did it last year anyone can do it image

Well not all tough image
  • Options

Go the tutu, Are We There Yet! I have finally decided to wear mine regardless of mud, sand hills, bogs and possible snow! 

I've been away a few  weeks from the forum and now suddenly there's a lake!!!!  What lake? I've been preparing mentally for the Bog of Doom ( and putting heel lifts in my trail shoes in the hope that will make a difference to whether they have to trawl the Bog for a five foot three inch runner in a black tutu) but there wasn't any mention of a lake! Must remember to wear the waterproof mascara instead of the regular lash boosting one....

I can't wait until Sunday ( I think) despite no running for two weeks due to lower back issues.....but I bet I don't get a wink of sleep the night before....

See you all in the mud on Sunday

• Options
    Well currently in 2 frames of mind here,

On one side really looking forward to a good old tough race, lots of hills, lots of mud, should be a good finale to my month of mud.

And on the other side...Boy it's cold outside, I think weeing in the bog of doom is obligatory just to keep ourselves warm.

Do have a question though, currently dithering over what to wear, I got cold legs at Turbo X last week when running in shorts, I do have some good wicking tights but am worried that they're going to just store up cold water and get me even colder. Any views anyone?

Bunny ears miss knees, very nice,
  • Options

Please don't wee in the Bog...think of all the slower, shorter people behind you....image

And bunny ears do sound like a nice idea...but will they keep me warm?!

• Options
    Have fun you lot. I think your race sounds better than ours up north..... image You'll love doing it in snow....just think of the photos.... Get polishing your flashing horns & ironing your tutus.. image