Options

2010 PUMA HellRunner: Hell Down South Sunday

Comments

• Options
    OK, I've sorted my shoes out and well happy about that but here's my latest worry. Should I wear my watch? I'm not bothered about my time particularly but I like knowing how far I've gone and stuff. Or is wearing a watch pointless and is it likely to get waterlogged anyway? Any thoughts from you hardy types?
  • Options
    Last year there were loads of people wearing Garmins etc. but I didn't wear mine - I just wore a crappy old watch so I knew whether it was morning or afternoon !! To be honest, I think it would be soul destroying looking at mile splits etc. when you're wading through the bog of doom but I guess it's up to you
  • Options
    Thanks AWTY that's what I was thinking. Plus I'm planning on swimming the bog of doom!
  • Options
    Just don't do what I did last year - everyone else jumped in as you should do, but I thought, with my really long legs, I could just take a big step in......WRONG!! Ended up submerged in gloop and emerged again sporting a fetching black muddy beard (not good for a girl!) which I didn't realise and wore for the rest of the race - on all the photos and everything!!
  • Options
    AWTY - Brilliant. You should use it as your Avatar pic.

A couple more ninny worrier questions.

Do they have water/Lucozade stations?

My family want to come and laugh at me - I was expecting a route map with the number and chip. Is it easy for spectators to get to the good parts of the course (ie the bog)?
  • Options
    They have a water station, I think about 5 miles in - well, for me it was about an hour in which made sense but no lucozade.
    Your family will be best staying at the bog of doom - you have to walk past it from the car park so you know what you're letting yourself in - it's where most people stay and take photos. To be honest it's not too easy for spectators to get to other parts anyway so keep them there - they'll have the best laugh. Last year aload of guys took shower gel into the bog with them and had a muddy foam fight so there's plenty going on for them to laugh at!
  • Options
    I wore my watch for north Johnny. Good idea to get your own time, as they were having so many problems with the chips at north, & you appear to have the same ones for south. You might need to forward your time to them! I wouldn't bother with a Garmin though. If you fell in a swamp with it, it might not be happy!
  • Options
    Hi all - going to be joining you guys on the Aftermath! I'm dreading it to be honest! Resigned to swimming the lake (I'm 5ft 4) and falling over (managed to go flat on my face today on a rather muddy path - apparently I looked very comical!)....everyone seems to be looking forward to it though so I'll have to believe it is going to be good fun!! Anyone know if the route is the same as last year? My hubby ran it last time and thought it was barely 9 miles so interested to know if the route changes year to year?
  • Options
    does anyone know how long this will take to complete for a very slow runner lol
  • Options

Lets say it's 8-10 miles long, you can walk 4 miles in an hour, so 2 1/2 hours max, if your jogging bits maybe a bit quickerimage

Took me 2hrs last year and i can run a half mara in 1hr 40 normally.

• Options
    cool thanks for the quick responce im so exitedimage
  • Options

Homework for the weekend.....Wear the trainers you are planning on wearing, & jump in some deep mud to see if they come off.....I saw a LOT of people losing shoes up north. [chuckle]

Cogga, I was 2 hrs 12 up north, & I'm a bimbler.....Don't know how long your race will be though. Ours was much longer last year.

• Options

Good advice Bimbler.  I did a muddy 10 miles on Sunday but nothing deep (no penguins either!).  I will try and find a propper bit of mud this weekend. 

Cogga - my half mara time is 2:40.  It could take me 3 hours to do this.  Don't worry, you won't be last! And if you are I will be most disapointed cos I'm counting on it being me.  Last one home in a race gets the best cheer after the winner.  image

• Options
    lol sounds like i got competion for last place then
  • Options

I have my number today. Sunday it is.

My first time.

The course is 3 miles from my house so I am gonna cycle up with a thermos .

I may even come and watch the Saturday shift.

Good luck everyone!

(No I am not renting out my shower!)

• Options
    go on please i got £10 with ur name on it image)
  • Options

You can have a hose pipe shower for a fiver, if it isnt solidly iced up. the water that is not your fiver. image

• Options

ooo good, showers.  Thanks Rich. Save some hot water for me at the end won't you!  You are thinking of connecting the hose pipe to your hot water tap I presume? image image   Five pounds for a forum shower is a bargain so with enough of us it will only be 10p each.   I'll start the collection shall I? imageimage

• Options
    Whether it's hot or cold water - it'll still take weeks to get that odd orangey muck out of your toenails - and it'll NEVER come out of your socks!
  • Options

we still talking about the Hell Runner? image

Note to self.

trim toenails and wear socks I wont mind loosing.

• Options

I want to come......But Hampshire is too far....Your bog is better than our bog.....image

Soup will come last cos she plays Toss the Penguin on Facebook aaaaalll day long, & hasn't trained for 2 years......image

• Options

I train hard at coming last.  And you just wait - there will be penguins in that bog that need tossing out of the way. image 

I succumbed to the alcohol yesterday and feel a little ill today. image

• Options
    Soup is also a total lightweight!! image I don't reckon you'll be last if your HM time is 2:40.
  • Options
    im definatly going to be last lol im well over weight and not majorly fit but hey anything for a gigle and a bit of money to charity
  • Options
    Well the up north race doesn't care if you're slow Cogga. There was a sweep going round with the last 3 girls, & he wasn't bothered they were very slow & making a bit of a meal of the Bog of Doom......
  • Options

BB - exactly!  They don't have to worry about opening the roads or anything.  And I'd like to give time for all the traffic to move out of the car park at the end so why rush?  I'm up for just enjoying this.  See you at the back Cogga.  I'll be wearing horns that light up.  And my hubby is thinking of dressing up as Dracula now. image  He's faster than me though so we'll probably only start together but you won't miss us at the beginning!

• Options
    But it does go dark around 4pm Soup......The Bog of Doom has no floodlights......image But your flashing horns will light the way in the darkness....... image
  • Options

Do you think the burger van will still be open at 5pm though? image 

• Options
    No. And think of your figure. No burgers. No tossing penguins. Oh, & you & hubby can't have nooky either until AFTER the race.....It will just sap your energy..... image