Options

Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

Comments

• Options

I think it was moved back due to Easter!

The race website says 'We have a limit of around 1400 entries for the full marathon and 2100 for the half marathon although we may vary these as we get nearer to our closing date on 1 March 2011, but still maintaining a total of 3500 entries. In 2010 we reached our entry limit in early March and many people were disappointed they could not enter. You should note that we do not give refunds if you decide to cancel for any reason'.

Not sure if that helps!

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Hello all,

I did Stratford last year - nice race. I actually found the Greenway to be ok too. I think a lot of it is down to mental approach and training - i.e. - I live about half a mile from the Trans-Pennine Trail, so a large volume of my training was done on an old disused railway line, exactly the same type of going as the Greenway. Weirdly I managed to mentally try and look forward to it too - once you've done the hill on lap 2 at circa 18 miles then it's all downhill or flat. Yes the last 10k is on the Greenway, but it's bang flat. So if you approach it as 'a flat 10k to finish - bring it on' you should do ok. If your mindset is 'Oh God, 6 miles on the Greenway' then it's beaten you before you even reach it.

So my advice is to try and do some longer runs on similar terrain, and get your mental prep right. I passed LOADS of folk in the last 6 miles, and managed to run that last 10k in just over 40 minutes I think. So it's not all doom and gloom.

The course ISN'T flat - as Atrie said, more hill than I thought, but it's nicely rolling.

Oh and I stayed at the Travelodge too - about three quarters of a mile to the start, so I just walked in. I'd stay there again if I was doing the race in 2011, but I'm London-bound (injury permitting).

Nice race, good course but heat may be a factor I think
  • Options
    LS21 - thanks for the advice, have just entered this. One more bit of info please - I presume from your forum name you live Leeds area - what was the journey like from Leeds to Stratford?
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Hello mate,

No the LS thing isn't a post-code - it's my initials! But it's a common assumption and I'm sure will be made again.

As it happens I live in Barnsley, so pretty close to Leeds anyway. The journey is easy enough - about 2 hrs tops for you I'd say. M1, M42, M40 and you're there - simple image
  • Options

I'm doing the VLM, but as there is a bit of a gap between the two events this year I am thinking about entering this too.

If I have bitten off more than I can chew on the day, do they allow you to run one lap only, and so become an official finisher for the half?

Cheers.

• Options

Ragged I believe you can switch to the half from the marathon at any time and from the half to the marathon until the marathon is full.  On the day, I think you have to inform the marshalls at the split at about 12 miles and at the finish, otherwise your 2:02 half time could be registered as a marathon time image

• Options

LS 21, thanks again.

Has everyone else got confimation of their entry? I've checked on the webite,  my name isn't there and I'm sure it was more than 12 days ago I entered.

• Options
    raggedstaff wrote (see)
    ...do they allow you to run one lap only, and so become an official finisher for the half?

This was exactly what I did this year.   Due to an illness, my training suffered in the last few weeks leading up to the race.  I was gutted that I couldn't run the marathon, but the beauty of the Shakespeare is that I was still able to participate and run a half instead.  My time was correctly recorded as a half-marathon time, which was a shame because my time was a comfortable marathon win (and also a world record, I think) image.

As mentioned above, the Marshalls will try to steer you left as you reach the cut-off point at about twelve miles, but you then simply keep right with the half-marathon runners.

I've been rejected from London (again) and am considering whether my heart will be in a full marathon in May.  It's the day after my 50th birthday, though, so it may be a way of hiding for a while image.

• Options
    E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭
    or another way of getting rid of the hang over image
  • Options
    I've decided to do this one.  So I'm in too.  Any tips for parking on race-day as I'll be commuting in early from W Mids....
  • Options

Ive just entered my first ever marathon.

I did my first 1/2 at Stratford this year. It went well and I scraped in at 1h39.58 cracking my 1h40 goal time by an enormous 2 seconds.

I had no trouble on the green way, its flat and  a hard surface, so I actually enjoyed it. I imagine having to do two loops might just make a difference. But we will see in May!

Ive booked into the Travelodge, only £42.

So im going to enjoy the christmas period and then start training seriously mid jan.

Any tips for a first timer with regards to pacing?? What time could I aim for?

Previous times are 1h39 for Stratford,

and, 1h42 for the run in the Vitruvian triathlon

See you there?

Pete

• Options

Well done Peter on your recent half marathon - cracking time.

I was advised for my first marathon to take the pressure off myself (as long as I finish, I'll get a PB!) and try to finish with a smile on my face ie not worry for my first one about a time.

There are various race time predictors, so it may be worth popping in your recent half time into one of those and seeing what's possible, but maybe not be too governed by the time? 

In any case, good luck with your training, and i hope you achieve all you want to from this.

• Options

thiswayup - i remember last year my name took a while to come up.  if it hasn't yet i wouldn't worry too much but you could alway drop them an email.  they are very helpful

i ran this last year (previously as Tom Fantastic) but after the race i had to change my profile name - i didn't feel so fantastic after the race.  the greenway was a killer for me and i had the blues after the race.  the race itself is a great occasion, one of the friendliest i've come across and a great atmosphere among the competitors. 

at 17 miles i started my slow decline to walking pace...  i know.. i know.. it still hurts me that it led to that.  i'm sorry to say i can't bring myself to enter with the race scheduled for may.  may is usually a bright month and sun + greenway = oh no!

i wish everyone the best of luck for their training.  i'm looking for an alternative in spring as the prospect of a winter without marathon training is unsettling!

• Options

Thanks for the heads-up on your race Tempo Tom. 

• Options
    Hello, anyone know when this race usually fills up by? Thanks.
  • Options
    after doing this one last year i can safely say ill never do this one again. Sun + The hill at 18/19miles and The Greenway is soul destroying. Good luck to all those doing it image
  • Options

I've just entered online.

Having completed the Brimingham half marathon in October, this will be my first full marathon.

Feeling scared, nervous but v. excited.

Bring it on!

• Options
    Hi - I'm doing this for the second time - hot this year but no worse than the hot FLM I ran in 2009. The Greenway is all headology - just don't let it get you!
  • Options
    Does the course have pb potential?
  • Options
    if you can overcome the greenway and the nightmare hill at 19 miles then dont see why not.
  • Options

A question then for those that have ran the full marathon before:

WHat specifically is it about The Greenway that makes it such a mental killer?  Is it because of the heat being somehow trapped there if it's hot - sapping your energy, or is it something to do with the road surface, or is it somethins else?  I'd be grateful for any input here so I know what I'm headed for.

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    its just that its 6 almost dead straight miles, no deviations at all for as far as the eye can see. Its a converted railway line so its compacted hard surface but covered in very fine gravel in places. If its hot and sunny it seems to reflect off the light surface and theres no shade for the entire length.

if you have google earth put these coordinates in and look between the seat ibiza and the landrover.Might give you an idea.

52°07'44.79" N 1°46'30.05" W

• Options

Heading back to Stratford Marathon for the 4th consecutive year.  I love this event.

It's not too crowded and great to get out into the countryside.  Yes, the Greenway is tough at the end - long, straight and hot - but at least it's flat.  The finish in the Park is great with the announcer calling out runners' names as they approach the line.

I first did this event having failed to get into London, now it's my spring marathon of choice (although I have got a place in London 2011 as well).  It is even growing as a destination in the club - Portsmouth Joggers - this year we will have around 20 taking part in either the full or half.

It certainly has got PB potential, as ever it comes down to pacing.

Train well, and let's have a great run on the 8th May

• Options

Thanks RW4.  I think I'll give running it a few trial runs.  Is the hill awful or bearable would  you say?  I train on hills but wondered is it more a short, sharp shock oor a slow drag but not too steep?

Cheers for your thoughts.

• Options
    long slow drag definetely.
  • Options
    Looking forward to this.  My 8th Mara., 4th at Stratford. Last did it in 2004 when it used to start at 13.00!!  The late start did help for travelling on the day though.  Not sure what to do this time.  If I book in somewhere for the Saturday night only, will they let me have a shower before heading home or will i have to book out? Decisions decisions.  Good luck everyone, especially those doing their first mara.
  • Options
    Hi, have signed up for this as my 1st marathon after checking out Edinburgh and being put off by some really bad reviews.  I’ve ran quite a few halves now (PB at Conwy of 1.37) and have decided to take the plunge and get a 1st marathon under my belt.   Does anyone know how much the t-shirts will be what the rules are re I-pods ?  I used to always run with one but did Chesterfield Spire 10 miler  without one back in August and haven’t used one since.  However, I think I may need it running a full marathon, 4 episodes of marathon talk and I’ll be done !Cheers guys