Options

Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

Comments

• Options
    Had a cracking good Free to enter 10K organised by British Military Fitness in Sutton park, great fun and a really good race, felt superb and when we'd all finished I went off and did just under 4 miles to make up the ten .

Felt great throughout and had a strong finish, my midweek runs seem to be paying off well.

What I need now is a half next week but I can't find a local one, Shifnal 10K the week after then Stourbridge stagger 10 XC after that.
  • Options

Sorry about your run D2D.  hope you're better soon.

Did a half today (Highworth Team Half) on a hilly course.  Was well chuffed with time (1:53:49).

• Options
    Hi all
    Just entered! Did this last year as my first marathon but underestimated the heat. Came in at 4:24 but this year looking for the sub 4:00! only live 10 miles away so anyone that wants to train on the Greenway let me know! xx
  • Options

Managed to run 19 today in 2.50, on quite a hilly, muddy course.  Happy with this as it's the furthest I've ever ran ! Easier week next week as got the Helsby Half marathon on Sunday.  Hopefully on course for my RSM

• Options

Just entered this minute, start of a 16 week training plan: looks like something close to 800 miles to go.

I live in High Wycombe but train most lunchtimes near where I work in Hammersmith. If there is a Greenway run being organised on a Sunday can you put it up some concrete dates in advance as I would like to have a run up and down it just to vanquish any demons I have got from reading this thread.

This wil be my first marathon since I ran Snowdon in 1994 so it has been 17 years of peaceful running without that feelng of compleet and utter exhaustion at the end. I want to go sub 3:15 so I can get a "good for age" entry for Lojnodn ion 2012 so if there are other people who are on the same schedule then it would be useful to get a pack together.

I ran two halfs last year, Reading and Burnham Beeches, in 1:28 so 3:15 should be on the cards if I get the long training runs right. I will race a couple of halfs, or 10s or 20s, in preparation. Are there any traditional pre-RSM races that people do?

• Options
    D2D - No PB for me , I set all those years ago when I was really fit! But like you I now have a cold and sore throat! I was fine Saturday and it all went off on Sunday, I 've had a dreadful night and been streaming with cold all day. I've work to do tomorrow so I'll need to get over this quick. I was looking to run Wed then gym Fri and a 10+ miler Sunday, so typically I'll have to move it forward.

Sarah , thats a big improvement if you can pull it off but be flexible, it's tough one being hilly and many don't appreciate that - a 4.24 could be a 4.10 on a flat course.

John - you are well on the way now , I was delighted yesterday to find the tough Milford 21 CX in Cannock chase is on at the end of Feb and not mid march. So thats the next goal on the way!

Philip - I ran snowden in 2009 , and never again I say, if anything was to put a runner off a marathon that would image
  • Options

April 10th ok for me.  Hi Philip.  Good to have y ou on board.

I did a 1.28 half last year, so I guess I could do a 3.15.  So maybe we could run the Greenway (with others too) in a similar paced train?

• Options

D2D- April 10th is fine for me but not at the 3.15 paceimage  3.30-3.45 for me please, you will need to get some spreadsheets sorted out at this rate!!!

Went for 11 miles yesterday at 9min per mile(1 min slower than race day pace of 8min per mile) found it very easy listening to marathon talk on my ipod, anyone else listen to marathon talk? Its very informative. Everyone on this thread already seem to be doing very long runs i hope i havn't left it to late!

• Options
    Mike

Snowden was my favourite marathon. The biggest problems I have are pace and the mental toughness. I am used to short races and I need to knock off a lot of pace to do a marathon and also I have to block out the first 15 or so miles so that I don't start to race. When I ran Snowden, I had a friend who ran the first part up to the pass and on to 10 miles with me at a very relaxed pace, and then the wind and the rain and the views kept me busy and there was a gentle downhill to 20 miles so I got to 20 without really thinking. After 20 I could then actually start the race for proper so I just had the 6 up and down at the end to run in at 3 hours.
  • Options

I love Marathon Talk (it's a Podcast, run by Martin Yelling - Husband of Olympic Marathoner Liz Yelling - and Tom Williams).

Click Here to go to Marathon Talk Podcast.  It's very invormative as Gazelle says, and Tony Audenshaw (aka Bob from Emmerdale) puts in a weekly spot as "Tony's Trials" as he trains for marathons.  I've laughed out loud whilst running down the local High St when he was on about Mr Gingerbread (listen to Episode 52 - I think it's also originally Episode 2 or 3).  Hilarious. 

They have also interviewed Paula Radcliffe, Tim Noakes, Liz and Hayley Yelling to name just a few.  I believe they have got in the pipeline Liz McColgan too.  Well worth a listen no matter what pace or experience.

PS happy to run arouns 3:30 to 3:45 training pace - I'm completely flexible. 

Gazelle - I've not run longer than 12 at the mo.  I don't want to go stale.  Everyone is different. I find if I build long long runs too soon I come to dread it nearer the event.  So I start the longer runs (building up over the next 14 weeks) from here, so I arrive on race day not mentally fed-up of running long.

Just a tought fellow Greenway runners, would it be worth us running over the hill to just by it?  If we've gone over it, at least we will know what to expect on race-day.  Just a thought?

• Options
    April 10th looks good for a Greenway run. I assume that for most people it is a Sunday long run as well so I suggest we cover from the hill at 18 miles to the end (which is 8 miles in total) and make it into a loop which is going to be towards 16 miles. The best way would be to end up at the real finish but I don't know about parking etc so the next best would be to park west of the finish and then do something like a 6 mile warm up to the 18 mile marker, then do the hill and the Greenway to bring it to 14 miles at tempo and then a couple of miles cool down back to cars.
  • Options
    I like plan b there Philip. We can get more organised nearer the time. But def for 10/04/2011.
  • Options
    Phillip - So you had a great snowden then compared to mine. I was sure I could clip round in 4;30 having done loads of marathons and three Ultras that year, But after a half hour wait for a late start in the pouring driving rain (not unusual there) I was in a right state and could get anything right - collapsing from cramp as I g0t back into town just a mile from the end, in a time of over 4;45.

Anyone doing Rhayder round the lakes 20? There is very little hotel accommodation left in Rhayder as we found last night!

I know the RSM course well, too well , so I'll pass the training run, though there is that Half from Long marston in April, it's got to use the same course.
  • Options

Oh er I'm quite looking forward to 10th Aprilimage 

Thanks Divine Wind ref the podcast, I agree Tony's Trials is very funny!!! Also its good to know that I'm not lacking the long runs, I have just sorted out a 16 week training plan so will fit in 4 20milers yeek

• Options
    Gazelle - I might only be able to fit in 4 20's two of them races - Milford 21XC , a tough 21 mile XC and Rhayder a very hilly 20 in wales. The other two I'll need to do round here.

Divine wind - should I download all the podcasts from the beginning? or are some better than others?
  • Options

Hi Mike

I have just started re-listening from episode 1.  Episode 52 gives a round up of the year - try that one and see if you like the format. 

Each person't different, but I would say this podcast's got a bit for everyone, from the sub 3 hour marathoner to the 5+ hour (or 6+ hour) runner.  I've enjoyed it as each week there's somethiong I pick up on.  And "Tony's Trials" is always funny.  If you get on with ep 52, try going back to ep1.  One of the episodes has itself dedicated to be listened to on a long long run.  The idea being it's giving you info as you're runninng your 20/22/22+ run. 

Good luck Mike in your XC and the Rhyader. 

• Options

On Marathon Talk I particularly likes episodes 38 and 39 with Bruce Fordyce (not to be confused with the popular TV personality !) who talks about the Comrades ultra in South Africa.  Also episode 41 who is the guy who accompanied Ranulph Fiennes on the 7 marathons in 7 days in 7 continents.  I found this to be really inspirational stuff which helped me get around the long runs !

Did Stratford as my first marathon last year in 3:40.  Did Great North Run in 1:35 later in the year and based on the Calculator, I am aiming for 3:20 this year.

Philip -I'm interested in your target of achieving sub 3:15 to get Good For Age in London.  This would probably kill me however !  I notice from the rules that you have to be 41+ for this.  I am not 41 until March 2012 however so not sure whether this would fit with the timing of the 2012 race and the time which you have to apply etc.  Otherwise I would have to do 3:10  !

Like the idea of the pre race Greenway runs but live in Wakefield so regretably not sure I would be able to make it.  Great idea though.

• Options
    My "grand plan" is to do Stratford this year and get sub 3:15, and then use that as a way of doing VLM in 2012 with the Olympics and all which should make it a memorable year. Hopefully I can then keep on running VLM every year using each year's time as a good for age entry the following year. I am 44 and my wife just dug out my old medals and I have been lying: it was 1992 when I last did the marathon so it is 19 years since I did one (I did my first when I was 20 so almost as long a gap as that first gap). I am sure they have jiggled the times for VLM, it seems to be a very big bracket from 41 to 59 and even then you don't get much relief. I am fairly confident of 3:15 but in 15 years time I won't be so sure.

The down side I see of Stratford is the date: it is 3 weeks later than VLM and coincides with the first track match of the season. Other than that, I much prefer smaller events to large ones as getting there and back is much easier and I love a clear start where I am not walking or overtaking men dressed as chickens.
  • Options
    Did anyone else read Pjils post as *and do the olympics* I though WOW!

Sub 3:15 is a real challenge for anyone - at 46 I'd find that unthinkable, I'm not that fit (or ever have been) I managed 4:09 I think at RSM a few years ago but generally running at 4:20 - 30 .

Going nowhere at the moment - heavy cold all week , still coughing gunk even now. Might get to run on Sunday.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear  you're not well Mike.  Hope you're feeling better soon.  I am about to go out for a (comparative to recent weeks) 'long' run, but with some trepidation.  I may have plantar issues; acute-onset after a wee race last weekend.  I've had to lay off for a few days and ice the area to see.  If I can't get round today, I may have to pull out of the RSM  - something I don't want to do, but I will need to rest for a while, and I don't want to run this race half-cooked!  Here goes nothing....
  • Options
    Hi all , Divine , I'm sure you'll be fine with some rest, ibrufen, ice and some special exercises. Do they have walk in physio where you are? 10 mins of ultra sound would probably sort that.

Been off all week with this cold, done no training at all of any sort and had a few days off work too.

So went out this morning for a 10 miler and whilst I was a bit full of congestion I was more concerned with my shins on both sides, I'd taken those old trainers far too far and now I've pain. Shame as I have the new trainers , but a bit of ice and ralgex I'll be fine I'm sure.

Might do the Shifnal gallop 10K on Sunday .
  • Options

How did your long run go Divine Wind?

I think I have shin splints!! It's only mild at the moment, I think it is all the miles that I have done over the last two weeks, too many miles too soon, although I do feel well overwise.

Today was a long run which I did off road with a few other club members, my shins feel alot better than last weeks long run on the road, I may alternate road and off road.

Hope everyone else is ok.

• Options
    After much stretching I fell much better, I'll need to pay close attention to this.
  • Options
    Not bad, did Helsby half today in 1.37, missed a pb by 3 seconds.  Great race, perfect conditions
  • Options
    End of my first week of marathon training and it went well with a total just under 54 miles. Sunday was 12.63 miles and was disappointingly a little short. I set out on a tow path along the Thames but it got far too muddy to be fun so I cam back via some lanes and though I expected the lanes to be longer they in fact turned out shorter and I just wasn't going to add a small 15 minute loop to make it up to 2 hours and 14 or 15 miles.

Devoted2Distance: did you do your run at 7.2 min/mile or 7.2 miles per hour? Either is fantastic.