Options

Weight loss name and shame (or congratulate!)

Comments

• Options

JBL3 i would say go for it having races i found dose keep me more focused if you do go for it i strongly suggest you find yourself a training plan to follow there are loads out there and you’re bound to find one that suites you

hydration really depends on how hot it is for obvious reasons  for a half marathon 8 miles is a good bench mark although nearer the time just for confidence i would do at least one 13 mile run

Never go off to fast better to run a slower first half and pick the pace up because as it would be your first any time you get would be PB and it may be better not to set yourself a time for the first one and just enjoy the day

• Options

Well I managed to get to club run Tuesday night but didn't make last night, it was tipping it down image fingers crossed I make tonight image

The weather forecast for my race on Sunday is looking very grim image so had enough of this weather

• Options

Afternoon all

Well just weighed and came in at 12st 5lbs image so not as bad as i feared considering i been eating for England since Brighton and it finally feels like the my body is saying right i am recharged enough now thank you

Never got a run in yesterday as i am still feeling wiped out and really lethargic but i am heading in the garage in  minute to do 3 miles on the treadmill i may make it 5 but if i do it will be walk 1k run 1k

but i really need to get my ass in gear if i want that sub 50 minute at Bristol this year i have until May the 20th to lose the weight i put on so that’s just over 3 weeks

Booey good luck on Sunday

• Options

Well did 3 miles i was going to do them on the treadmill but i put my running gear on and just had to get outside for a run

keeping the pace down wasn’t hard as my legs would only let me go at a certain pace it was if they were saying you’ve got to be kidding if you think we’re going any faster after what you put us through

• Options
    It pretty grim outside here, still hope to get out for 8 miles after work.
  • Options

Well done on getting out toby, I am off out tonight when i get home for my last stretch of the legs before MK mara, hoping it is not raining when I get home.

Booey - good luck for Sunday

JLB - if you need any advice I am sure Toby or I could help, I know i have made many mistakes during my training. The first bit of advice I would give is forget nutrition and fueling, the most important thing is chafing and the avoidance of it, nipples and bits, I use strapall tape for the nipples, and vaseline or bodyglide for other bits.

• Options
    Thanks Spen,  I've been just using regular plasters up to now and a bit of vaseline on the inner thigh, it's worked fine for me up to 8 miles, will investigate strapall if I have diffs.  I'm going to experiment with a home made concoction of orange juice/water and salt, and see how I get on. Bought this for carrying liquid plus bits and pieces, I figure it will be usefull for hiking as well.  I'm pretty dangerous with a credit card in my hand!
  • Options
    JLB3 - that looks a good piece of kit I have an innov-8 back pack and that has been really good, I know what you mean about being dangerous with a credit card in hand, I am looking at a new gps watch at the moment.
  • Options
    8 miles done, then feast on pizza. Going to switch my Garmin to miles which in my mind pretty much means I am going to do this half marathon. Going to concentrate on getting my mileage up over the next few weeks, will be running to and from Parkrun from now on, and start to up my long run on Sunday.
  • Options

Hi folks. Looks like you're all keeping busy despite the weather. You know, normally I'd be going up the walls at not being able to run for a week or so (next physio appt is next week) but looking out at the rain and knowing I have an excuse not to step outside is strangely satisfying...

Catch up with you soon.

• Options

Didn't make club run last night again image serious rain here last night.  I have every intention of getting out when I get home from work for a run even if its a short one image 

Rang the race organisers re Sunday as the forecast is seriously bad for all day at the moment.  They said they have seen the forecast but still planning on going ahead so it looks like I am gonna get drenched lol its a 10K so shouldn't be wet for more than an hour image and I am very close to home

Have a great weekend everyone and hope the rain doesn't hamper your running image

• Options
    Booey - good luck with your race, which 10k is it you are doing.
  • Options

Its the Holdenby House Heroes 10K for Air Ambulance on Sunday

I have just had this email from them:

Hi Paula

With only 48 hours to go until our Heroes Run at Holdenby House, we thought we would drop you a quick email to let you know that in true ‘Air Ambulance’ style, we will be there no matter what the weather…and we don’t think it will be particularly kind!

Rather than having glum faces and wishing we had the ‘Heat Wave’ that we were blessed with last April, we have decided that this will be more fun than ever!

We therefore challenge you to put on your wet weather attire, including wellies, waterproofs and hats and see if you can complete our Heroes Run or now more aptly named… The Air Ambulance Welly Walk!

<div align="right">

As the route is off-road, participants will not be permitted to run the route for health and safety reasons, but we certainly hope you still join us in your wellies and your waterproofs to conquer the elements and have a splash around in the mud!

Children and adults alike secretly enjoy jumping in puddles, getting muddy and generally making a mess, so take this opportunity to do it all for a good cause and why not see if you can persuade a few others to join you in the fun…they can sign up on the day!

So please do still join us for a truly British day out! Line the car in bin bags, dress in warm old clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty, wear walking boots or wellies that won’t get stuck in the mud and make sure you bring a change of clothes so that you get warm and cosy afterwards.

Most importantly, we think that conquering a Heroes Run is hard enough, but doing it in the rain and mud surely means you deserve a little bit more sponsorship. So don’t forget to pass the sponsorship form around or set up your just giving page at [b]www.justgiving.com/wnaa[/b].

See you there!

Does that mean I cant run if I want to ????????? image

<!-- // End Template Body \ --><!-- // Begin Template Footer \ -->
  • Options
    Looks that way, Booey - which is a bit rubbish! Most runners would be happy to brave a bit of rain wouldn't they, but I guess they don't want all the family/fun runners dropping out so they've turned it into a 10k puddle splash image
  • Options

looks like they've turn it into a fun run go enjoy your self there are plenty of other races out there

• Options

Afternoon all

Well just sat down and worked out my training plans for the next 6 months starting Monday i have 3 weeks till the Bristol 10k then the training starts the week after for the GNR  then it works out there is 2 weeks between that and the Bristol H/M and then 1 week between that and Cricklade

i am sat here thinking of our brave thread compatriots out there braving the elements i hope all is going well

• Options
    Didn't do the welly walk what was the point image its awful weather here and if I couldn't run I didn't see point in getting soaked. They should have cancelled image not happy lol
  • Options

Morning all

Well i have just entered the ballot for the London marathon so  i will have to wait and see how that goes gym session today

• Options
    Morning all

Toby - I have also entered the ballot for next year's London Marathon. I did apply once before, for 2003 but didn't get in.
    Words - Hope the physio goes ok
    Booey - What a disappointment.

My hamstring seems to be ok and I managed 10 miles on Saturday morning in the pouring rain, I really enjoyed it even though it was chucking it down!.

• Options

Morning.

Me too! Just entered the ballot. Fingers crossed we all get in. image

Booey - that's really disappointing. image Hope you find another race soon. image

Physio tomorrow. Really cannot wait to get running again.

Happy Monday folks!

• Options

yaay the race was postponed after all, just come into work to this email:

Dear supporter, Despite every attempt to make the event scheduled for today happen, and as fun as possible, we have had to take the difficult decision to postpone the Heroes Run at Holdenby House due to inclement weather. The weather has affected the route considerably overnight and key services are unable to access the site or course. We are delighted to say that we will be rescheduling the event and will be in a position to confirm the new date later this week.  We have made a short film to show you just how tough the elements have been this spring! To watch it head to www.facebook.com/WNAirAmbulance and for all of you tweeters out there go to www.twitter.com/WNAirAmb.  We are really sorry for the late notice and we look forward to seeing you later this summer. Best wishes, WNAA Events Team

Am pleased about that image

• Options

well at least it’s not the only one that was cancelled my mum was suppose to do a sponsored walk through the grounds of a local hospice that to was called off and someone on another thread was surpassed to be running a Marathon but in the end they cut to a H/M

Looks like the weather played havoc with a lot of events but that is great news your be able to do it weather permitting of course

• Options

Rang the changes today did a 40 minute gym session with some weights and then finished off with a 3 mile run on the treadmill

• Options

We're being really lucky with the weather in NI, looks like it's playing havock on the other island.

Not much running done over the weekend, too much rugby related partying, took yesterday off to allow for a full recovery.  Did manage to take my hangover to Parkrun and tootle round in 35 minutes (it was my local rugby clubs golf society on the Friday), then headed down to Dublin for the big game.

It was no surprise that I'd put on 1.5 lbs for the week when I stepped on the scales yesterday (162lbs).  Every ounce was hard-earned.  Back in to it tonight though, 10 miles planned.

Good luck with the ballot guys.

• Options
    Hi all - well i survived the Mk Marathon on Sunday the weather was really bad, cold, wet and windy, but still managed to knock another 30 seconds off my pb. The course was flooded in many areas and in places was more cross country than road race.
  • Options
    Spen well done on the PB and fair play to you for running
  • Options
    Toby3 - thanks, it was one of my 3 races for raising money for charity this year, so i had to run, but it was a challenge, the conditions were not the best
  • Options

Spen - well done on the MK Mara in such appalling conditions image you did really well image

There was quite a few cancelled including the 10K I was doing and also read the Shakespeare Mara was cancelled right at the last minute because of flooding image

Trying to register for Lake Vyrnwy HM, should be open today but nothing yet on the website image

Its raining here image just for a change image

• Options
    booey - thanks for that, I heard about Stratford I would have been well annoyed if they cancellled at the start. Milton Keynes was flooded in many areas with puddles upto 8 inches deep.
  • Options

Didn't run last night felt tired and drained image went home and had banana and custard yum yum then later polished off half a box of Quality Street imageimageimage

I will run later honestly imageimage

Well organisers of Lake Vyrnwy HM have got back to me and sent me a registration form, I have to fill in and send a cheque off so will do that today image bit behind the times that you cant do online but never mind image