Options

Barcelona Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

My friend and I are doing the Barcelona Marathon as our first marathon. our training had been going well until last weekend. We had done a few 14-18 milers and a 21 miler but on the second 21 miler last weekend we both came out of it with ankle injuries which haven't gone away with rest over the week.

Im gutted as was looking to do around the 4 hour/under mark and now I have to rest it until the pain clears image I just hope it clears.

We was really looking forward to it but now we have these injuries we are kind of dreading it  image

Laura

• Options

Hi Laura,

That is absolutely gutting, hope it clears up in time. By the sounds of it, you've put plenty of miles in, so even if you can't get out much before the race, you should have enough !

What do you think caused it, did you get niggles beofre, trainers worn / new ?

I am just breaking in my Barcelona trainers, hoping not to get any aggro from them in the next couple of weeks.

Rob 

• Options

Hiya,

yeah i do feel gutted as i was keen to break the sub 4hr mark (did 21 miles in 3hr 20mins) image
    But hopefully with rest it will recover. i feel i had hit my peak fitness so hopefully i will retain it as i was only going to do one more long run this weekend and taper it off anyway.- its annoying because I have been injury free all the time I have been running and i have been running for well over a year (did great north run in sept)

Funnily enough I had used a new pair of trainers and regret not wearing them in a month earlier. So it could be a combination of new trainers with running on uneven surfaces or just the sheer stress my body is under for doing so much training!

I will defintaley run it though - all the hours i have put in training in the snow and ice is not going to waste! I will just rest until it feels better.

How is your training?

• Options

Hi all haven't posted for a while.    Looking to do long run tomorrow 22 miler .  Off to do 8 miles now , slow 2 miles 4 miles steady / marathon pace,  2 miles slow .  

Was a bit miffed I couln't get a pair of last years Mizunos for 50.00 had to fork out 69 fro this years and that was the cheapest Wave Riders I could find , but they are amazing ; straight out of the box felt I was running faster straightaway, it really is worth the investment.  

Laura - you won't lose significant fitness by resting  , you have done the work , when you start again you'll feel like flying !

ANYONE HELP ?      I keep looking at the Barca website and get their unbelievably bad translated emails , but nowhere can I see how and when you get / pick up racing bib/no and chip   . Does anyone know ?    Thank you

• Options

Drk - I think if you look back on this thread there is something about the Expo is open for a couple of days before race day where you need to register and pick up chip and race no.

"Bibs must be collected on March 4th and 5th 2011 at the Marató Expo, upon presentation of the registration receipt and an official identification document. Without this receipt, bibs will not be delivered.
    Bibs must be worn on the front part of the torso, and remain fully visible throughout the whole race.
    Bibs cannot be collected on the day of the race"

I think it's open until 6ish the day before the race ?

I like the emails - especaily the one this week complaining about dorsals - I assume that's to do with the race numbers ?

Laura - I'we been following the RW 3.30 training schedule. Struggled a bit over Xmas with the ice and snow, but I;ve only missed out one session. Got my last long run of 22 this Sunday.

My first marathon as well - hoping I don;t go off too fast and pay the penalty later !!!!

• Options
    Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

emails ?  

I haven't received any emails apart from when I signed up , my name is on the list of entrants so I as long as I receive a number and chip all should be ok, Anyone else not received emails?

Drk , Know what you mean re new shoes , I have been training in Asic Nimbus but got myself some ds trainers to run marathon in ,feel so good and light in comparison.

Laura

I have also been suffering with ankle problems since I ran over Christmas period in very icy conditions and 

over rough terrain, I have continued to train and strangely after the first few miles discomfort disappears , it is only this week that both ankles have felt ok some 6 weeks later,

In fact I have kept running through a few niggles , my feeling is if it doesn't get worse by running on it keep going if pain persists stop and walk, You need to give it a few miles.

• Options
    E- mail? What e- mails?
  • Options

Emails from Jaume Canut, I think they come through about once a week, nothing majorly important. Yes Claw the one about "dorsals" was a bit weird, not sure how that came about in translation, lol!

A few injuries being reported, lets hope all is healed for you before the big day. 

Last really loooong run on Sunday, then the taper.... image

23 Days to go!!

• Options

Dorsals are numbers here in Spain... (or Cataluyna as the locals call it)

The expo is open on the Friday and Sat and is very close to where the race starts. I would take your confirmation of the race which they sent you when you registered (it might be like a receipt) & your passport just in case. (most races in Spain, you just say your name, but this one is larger and might be different.

• Options

Having really struggled to get back into it after losing 5 weeks training in Nov/December with the bad weather I thought I would not be able to complete Barcelona, I sill don't feel like I did before Dublin in nOctober but I got a 22.5 Miler in today so at least I know I should be able to finish but I don't see a PB even though I only have  4:30 to beat. This will be my 3rd Marathon in the last year since I started running to celebrate my 50th Birthday. I really should lose some weight 16st and 5'10" is not great for Marathon running so spare a thought for us old fat guys after you have all finishedimage

• Options
    I predict a new pb for you Jim.
  • Options
    Hello everyone. Good luck with the last big push before the taper madness sets in.

I had a big night out last night (not good planning, I know) and am feeling more than a little fragile. I am going to eat a hearty lunch and set off on my last LSR.

I realised that I am more marathon obsessed than first thought when my husband told me that I was explaining the virtues of negative splits in my sleep.

Getting really nervous now! Not least because I am worried about where I can have a crafty wee during the race. Amsterdam and Paris were easy with parks, trees and underpasses. You men are lucky; we women are anatomically challenged!

Are we meeting for a drink or two after the race? If so, where is the proposed venue?
  • Options

Thanks for all advice about registration . We (Mrs Drk and I ) are staying at Acevi Villarroel 1.7 km from the start From Thursday til Monday .  Did 22 miles yesterday , (I did look a the forecast for today ! ) .  Did 8.25 pace fro first 15 miles then slackened off , probably because I had run 8 miles day before. Only teh last miles was difficult, but no lactic in muscles today at all and can walk downstairs which I 'm amazed at .    Can't believe I've done 392 miles since mid Nov ..     

Going to do some cross training this week to add interest .

Good luck all doing LSR today ; its hospiping down here in Glos, hope you have better weather .

• Options

A little obsessed maybe Elizabeth? I haven't the foggiest where to suggest for a post-run drink, maybe JK could help us out...

Having checked where I am staying at I have discovered we go past our little apartment during the race! Also the marathon expo is around the same place as the start/finish, always good to have a practice run getting to the start area.

My last LSR done yesterday, felt really good and strong! It's nice when it all comes together!  I am really looking forward to this marathon.

• Options
    Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Hi All

Done last LSR today , felt good nice easy pace and now its taper time ! will ease off slightly this week and try and include some faster work.

Elizabeth , Carrot, and any others 

As you say TJK  may well be able to recommend a bar for a post race drink/debrief , I am definitely keen on meeting up.

Fingers crossed every one can stay injury / virus free for the next 20 days.

• Options

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttt'sssss TAPER TIME image

Last LSR in the bag, now only the easy task of 26.2miles in 3 weeks time.. Eek image

Bump on Deans comment, lets hope all stay injury free before Barca and all those with niggles can get fit.

• Options
    I raced today only 8 miles so I can't decide whether to do another LSR next week sometime and then start my taper or chill out and taper from now. Thoughts?
  • Options

Hello everyone. Been lurking for a while, not posted since very early in the tread.

I am still not 100% sure if I am doing this yet due to work commitments.

Got my last LSR finished today, a very painful unfueled 22.5miles, time on feet.

Despite running this race last year (as a training run), I would like to ask, does anyone know if there are shower facilities at the end?  I may fly need to fly home Sun night.

Cheers

• Options

I'm up for post race drink but maybe later about 18:00 after recovered a bit ? 

Scooby Dudek    - No idea about showers , but my hotel is only 1.7 km from end so if desparate more than welcome to sue our shower . Where will yr luggage be ?    An Unfuelled run ? that must have been painful.

Keyboard Warrior   According to my schedule (RW 3:30 )   next weekend is still an LSR of 18 miles so I'd do that if I were you. I'm going to chill about all teh other sessions except a speed session on Tuesday and LSR on Sunday  other days I may follow the schedule or cycle or swim  or gym but take a chilled out view of rest of training as I have packed the mileage.

Jim  you can do it .  I like the age groups   (I'm 59 and the age group is 55-64)

• Options

Showers - I am pretty sure there are no showers at the end. If you do go up next to the main magic fountain, there are coffee shops on the left and right which have public toilets and there are sinks in them.

Bars - This is quite difficult as it depends where you all want to meet (I´ll be getting on a plane in the afternoon to go to the US with work so won´t be able to join) I´m not very good with the names of bars as we tend to just wander in as there are so many.

Las Ramblas - There are lots down here, I don´t know the names of any, but there are a couple just where you come out of placa Saint Jaume and turn onto Las Ramblas which might be good to meet in

Around Plaça Espana - Up by the main fountain there are a couple of bars, but they will be very expensive and you will not have changed from your running kit. You could walk over the road towards the bullring which is being converted into a shopping centre and go into Parc Joan Miro where there are 2 bars and assuming the weather is good, you can sit outside.

Other bars - In Placa Real, there are 15 bars, all of which serve food. Not the cheapest, but if you want cheap, you need to go into the back streets where the best bars are... not sure I could direct you to them as you tend to stumble across them.

Sorry I cannot be of more help,

• Options

Drk - on the same schedule as you, with the 18 miler due this weekend. Managed the 22 miler Sunday morning, in about 3 hours, though had to stop a few times. Very painful rest of the day and this morning - I probably pushed it too hard and then paid the penalty from about 16 miles onwards...

Glad it's a day off today !!

Elizabeth - obsessed - I'm sure none of us are. Got my RW schedule pinned on my desk, faithfully highlighted eaxch day as another run ticked off. Another version at home on the fridge (Version 2 as Version 1 bit the dust at Xmas as Mrs Claw not happy about the Boxing Day 18 miler !!!)

All -  let's all hope we get through the next 3 weeks....

• Options
    Drk wrote (see)

I'm up for post race drink but maybe later about 18:00 after recovered a bit ? 

Scooby Dudek    - No idea about showers , but my hotel is only 1.7 km from end so if desparate more than welcome to sue our shower . Where will yr luggage be ?    An Unfuelled run ? that must have been painful.

Thanks for the offer of shower. Hoping to leave my luggage in the hotel I am staying in. I am also hoping they will let me wash after check out time, I won't know until I get to hotel. Just more things to stress about.

McMillion suggest doing some long runs unfueled, to train the body to burn fat better, not sure if it works, but I can understand the logic;

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/marathonlongrun.htm

In relation to bars, seeing as I am a Guinness drinker, a good meeting place could be;

Dunnes (Irish pub)on via Laietana, right next to Jaume I metro stop, it is big inside ad should be easy to spot people. Does standard Irish pub food. It is also located at the top end of El Born, so handy for moving on to other places.

La Luna is a Spanish cocktail bar in El Born, which does very good food, but it can be difficult to find if you don't know it. Some nice tapas bars in the area as well.

I suppose, however, if people are all staying close to the mara start, finding a meeting point there would be more sensible. I don't know that end of Barcelona at all.

• Options

I've also completed my final 20 miler in 2:39, like Scooby Dudek, unfuelled (except water).

I like The Jiffle King's suggestion of a bar in Parc Joan Miro for some post marathon isotonic beer, and also Scooby Dudek's Dunnes for evening food and drink.

• Options
    Help! I can't locate my confirmation e-mail. Can someone tell me who the confirmation e-mail was sent by or what the title of the e-mail was. I have dredged through my inbox but no luck. I have also confirmed via the web site that I have registered.

I have of course e-mailed the official organisers for them to resend the e-mail but not had a reply. Perhaps that might have something to do with my e-mail being in Spanish. Any help much appreciated.
  • Options

Hi  KW

confirmation email was sent by info@maratobarcelona.es

titled  Wellcome to the marato of barcelona 2011

• Options
    Thanks I will get back to my searching!
  • Options

KW I also couldn't find mine as my AOL account seems to delete emails a few weeks after I've read them. I'd foolishly not saved mine, but emailed the organisers and they re-sent it for me within a few days image

I'm planning on a slow 17 miler this weekend - it's that point in training when you can say 'only 17 miles'

Day off work today so I got a nice little recovery run in during daylight. it's now not getting dark until 5:30ish, how exciting! That means that once I've tapered, marathoned and recovered I'll be free to run anywhere I like on a night instead of being restricted to places with streetlights.

• Options
    I might wait a few more days because I too am on aol and can not retrieve the e-mail. I will panic later.
  • Options
    My confirmation was interestingly titled
    Wellcome to the Marato of Barcelona 2010

Thats giving me confidence in the organisation if they can't even get the year right! (only joking Barcelona!)

Well in terms of training I'm sulking after I got flu at the beginning of last week and have missed a week of training including the Dover half marathon. Feeling a lot better today so gonna ease round a 10k and see how  much damage has been done!

Glad to see it seems to be coming together for some other folks a bit better! 

• Options

Hello All,

Not posted on here yet, but been reading thread for the past few weeks. This will be my first marathon and and am getting excited but nervous at the same time. I've done a few 15m's/18 and one 20 miler. I had a half last sunday, would it be too late to squeeze in another 20 miler this week? I am worried that I might be pushing it.... Maybe I should do an 18 instead?

Me and OH are flying out Fri and staying in Silken Ramblas which is 2km from the start.  Would be greatto meet up afterwards for beers.

I also got my registration resent, there is a facebook group for the marathon, so I sent a msg on there as well.