Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Just met TR39 & Mrs TR39 in Pete's Eats for a coffee. Top people.
    The clouds are rolling in. Been a beautiful day, really lifted the spirits.
    See you at the start line peeps. Then it's just a case of a little jog to the Padarn for a beer......
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

I wonder how you recognised Tattoed Runner Chimney?!

Thankfully my wife is picking up the numbers on the way home later - she will fit the timing chip for me - I can never do it and it is a bit embarrasing asking someone to attach the chip for me when I have to pick it up on the day of the race!! Apparently they didn't want to use the chips built into the numbers on account of the number of runners who wear other tops over their racing vest given the weather in recent years!!

I have had the last of my pasta "creaton" - sick of the stuff now - no more pasta for at least a month after tomorrow - Indian takeaway and a couple of cans of cold beer tomorrow night me thinks!?

• Options

Excellent news everyone according to Derek Brockway on Wales Today a depression is arriving for Western Parts of Wales by early tomorrow morning with strengthening winds and all that lovely rain associated with it.

Now it is not expected to be as miserable as three years ago when it rained bullets all day but runners beware it will not be especially warm at only around 13-14C and with the wind and rain  it going to feel colder.

In 2008 the mountains of the llanberis Pass could not cope with the ferocity of the rain it was that bad but atleast it was warm at 17C which was mild for the end of October.

Vest and Shorts weather i fear not,  windproofs and tried and trusted clothing that you  know will not let you down in poor weather.

Just goes to show one day it can be gorgeous in Llanberis as it is today but this is ERYRI and those mountains attract the weather like a magnet.

I bet it will remain fine here on the coast tomorrow but even i noticed a difference in temperature from Llandudno to Llanberis.

The sun was shining beautifully in both places this afternoon but it felt noticeably cooler in llanberis and with poor weather almost guaranteed its going to feel cooler still.

What will Bwlch Y Groes throw at us tomorrow.

Anyway my 17th Snowdonia marathon will be run in traditional weather FINGERS CROSSED 

• Options
    Good luck everyone!!! Xxx
  • Options
    #533 for me this year. Picked it up an hour ago after a decent trip down ( gorgeous weather, hard to believe it'll be totally different tomorrow!). Have to say missing the course map off the back of the t-shirt and hoodie this year! Always found it was a bit of a talking point. Plus they've omitted the year now from the hoodie so it's just a generic design. Seems better quality but prefer the old design! Lady selling them said people seem to be 50/50 whether they like it or not. Still can't shake my runny nose but (fingers crossed) its not getting any worse. See you in the morning. If anyone spots me at the start, come and say hi!

Si
  • Options

Likewise.

I will be standing on the start line as always special vest with no number on it.

If you spot me please say hello because chatting on forums like this to people you have no idea what they look like is funny,

Have an enjoyable race

Peter

• Options
    After the last 2 days up here I'm gutted the weather is suppose to be so bad tomorra but hey Ho skin is waterproof I suppose! The few extra pounds I have gained the last few weeks will help me keep warm! image Gonna be a long tough day out there I think, as long as we come away with the slate sure we will be happy! All the best everyone, hope you achieve your targets

No - 1083 Bideford AAC vest or tshirt say hi if you see me!!
  • Options
    Can anyone confirm which roads are open and closed? Trying to sort out spectating options
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Good to catch up with some forumites yesterday- and hopefully more today!image

Weather awful, but not a bad day- apart from falling twice on the mud and hurting my arm!! Got another GFA and finished in 3:13.29image

Weather was VILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off for food now!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Think Rou must have finished in the prizes- she passed me early on and didn't see her again!image
  • Options
    Excellent news - well done, JD (and Rou!) imageimage

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sat in Petes eats.

safe 3.06.xx

lots of good but really wasn't ready for the gravel section.

hope everyone got back safely.

lovely race but that's it for me.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Well done Gobi- cracking time in the conditions. Hope to catch up with you this eveningimage
  • Options
    finished safely (just about) in 3:14 went off easy for the fourteen miles or so and then cranked it up passed loads from beddgelert and even a few heading up waunfawr, done the usual and ended up on my backside coming down the hill. treacherous conditions for a normal running shoe but nothing hurt. took a bit of my confidence and maybe cost me a bit of time as i took it a lot easier. first snowdon and it isn't as bad as everyone makes up. i felt better in this one than all my previous nine marathons forst and foremost as i paced it to perfection with a lot of help from arwel lewis. biggest lesson i have ever learnt running wise go off easy you will make up the time further on in the race. i will definitely be doing this one again maybe not next year as i am chasing a sub 3 and might try abingdon. well done to all finishers have a god drink and a good rest image
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Jason - where are people this evening ?
  • Options

After breaking down just after leaving home this morning, leaving the garmin in my car and having an awful interview with S4C (safe to say they won't be showing it!) I was very pleased with the run - just under 2h55m I think. I felt in good nick before the race, but didn't expect that. Great to finish just behind stonemonkey who like me has failed to go sub 3 at Snowdonia in the last 5 years

Llongyfarchiadau/congratulations again Rou - really pleased for you (although I couldn't help laugh at watching you reaction to that piece of sports bar which you got afte the race!!)

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

JB- well done

Gobi- Padarn Lake Hotel- lounge bar around 7 I thinkimage

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Jb - nice running. very nice indeed.
  • Options
    Well done John Bach, absolutely over the moon for mate.
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    What a fantastic day! (and yes I am glad I wore my vest&shorts!)

Got my sub 4 (3:53:13) despite falling on the descent-possibly would have been bit quicker if I wasn't being cautious after that even if mix of blood,mud,sheep poo&rain is a good look,but almost worth it to be patched up by v nice Dr after! ;-D think I'm gonna ache tomorrow!

Well done all,some fab times done by all image

Good to meet some of you even if it was only briefly,definitely a small world TR39-and top marks to Mrs TR39 for recognising me before the start!

Enjoy the party tonight guys!

Bring on SNOD 2012 image
  • Options

Panad, that's awesome! Well done image

• Options

Yes well done all.

BRING ON SNOD 2012image

• Options
    image Go on Boxer - start the 2012 thread, make TRex happy image
  • Options

Blimey the race does not get any easier and with that cold rain against my back i could feel a slight pain in my lower  back, nothing unpleasant but not having the opportunity to taper properly for this years race with  almost three week 's inactivity since my fall it certainly showed in my overall condition.

I had four layers of clothing on and never began to sweat the entire race, i cannot remember the race being this chilly for many years.

Like last year, finishing in a very slow 5-25 i feel like i have not really done the race which is annoying.

I am definately going to be the first entrant for next years 30th race but certainly need to regain my overall fitness.

I still find it hard to believe i have gone over two hours quicker on the older more challenging course but i will be 50 next year and feeling it.

I should be happy with just getting around but all that training i did at 7-15 minute pace felt fine during training but three weeks total rest wrecked my overall conditioning.

I just shouldnot climb unstable ladders so close to a big marathon.

A few weeks rest and i am going to have another go at Rhyader 20 and see if i can do well in that race.

17 races under my belt and Iorwerth now has 28 now and really looking forward to next years 30th. 

• Options

I'm not that brave *Frodo*

• Options

Thanks for the kind comments - relaxing now - had Indian takeawy with a couple of beers - X-factor soon with the kids!!

No comments re the weather Peter? One of the highlights for me today was meeting (and starting with) you!!

• Options
    That was a great race. My skin is still glowing from all that abrasive rain. And a very sweet PB for me. It is either 4.59 (my watch time) or 5:01 (the gantry clock). Does anyone know where the chip times are posted? Not that it matters, I'm THAT pleased.

Well done all.
  • Options
    loved the race and hope to be in better shape for it next year.....a special congratulations to John bach
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    TMP there's a link to chip times on the snowdonia marathon website homepage,if you haven't had an sms with your times yet.